We have recently returned from this hotel which was to celebrate my wifes 50th birthday. The holiday booked via Thomson over 12 months ago had special room requests that were not honoured when arriving at reception. However having explained the situation we were relocated to room 1112 which was a perfect location.The hotel was pure luxury with a very impressive reception area,all the restaurants offering great service and selection,the themed restaurants were something special with great food,just a shame you could only book from 8.00am 3 days in advance.The pool areas were well maintained and there was never a problem obtaining a sunbed or umbrella. The pools did tend to get dirty by the end of the day,but this was down to "drunken americans" spilling cocktails!!.In relation to the rooms they were spacious and clean although there was evidence of that damp musty smell mentioned in other reviews.Once the air conditioning was in use it went away but I have to admit on opening our suitcase on our return all items smelt,even those that had not been worn.I am not sure if this musty smell is isolated to this hotel or the general Dominican Tropical climate as this was our first visit to the Caribbean,perhaps others would like to comment on this. This Riu is in need of a little (TLC) as the exterior building and the inside of our room showed a requirement for repainting. Contrary to belief you are not welcome to use the facilities at the Riu Bavvaro or Riu Maccao,no explanation was given for this. The courtesy bus service was a little hit and miss and the trip to the designer shopping mall was a complete waste of time as you could not afford to buy anything. The evening entertainment was a big let down and comprised basically of the daytime animation team taking to the stage!!,I would have expected more professional and varied acts over the 10 day period.The drinks and service in the restaurants,pool area and the beach was first class with branded labels available if asked for.This hotel is very large and attracts guests predominantly from America,Canada,Brazil and Argentina,there are very few Europeans.The americans were very loud particularly around the pool bar,often disturbing other guests.As a seasoned traveller this review does appear somewhat negative,but after all it was the most expensive holiday I have ever had and my expectations were very high.It is a shame it fell short in some areas.I would be interested in the views of other readers together with those of the Hotel management.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- * Located on Arena Gorda Beach in Punta Cana * Inside the Riu Resort, along with the Riu Palace Macao, Riu Taino, Riu Naiboa hotels and the ClubHotel Riu Bambu * 4-story building * Surrounded by 63,000 m2 / 75,000 sq. Yards of lush gardens * Complimentary sun loungers on the beach * 50 km / 31 miles from Hig??Ey * 30 km / 19 miles from Punta Cana Int???L. Airport ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Caribbean Online Mgt Corp., Expedia, BookIt.com, Priceline, Orbitz and TripOnline SA so you can book your Hotel Riu Palace Punta Cana reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Riu Palace Punta Cana Hotel Punta Cana
- Punta Cana Riu Palace
- Riu Palace Hotel Punta Cana