We visited the resort in April of this year, but I am just getting around to the review. The resort lobby is gorgeous and there is free WiFi in the lobby. Check in could not have been smoother and the desk people were the most friendly of any of the staff at the resort except for maybe the entertainment crew. The only drawback about check in was the fact that it took a bit for our bags to actually reach the room. My suggestion would be either drag your own bag or dress for pool lounging under your clothes that you wear on your flight so that you do not really need you bag.
The grounds were great and well kept. No complaints about cleanliness of the ground what so ever.
The rooms were very nice and pretty spacious for the most part. It may have just been our room but the air conditioning could have worked better. It wasn't horrible but I prefer it a bit colder when I sleep. I have noticed that there is a similar musty smell in just about every tropical resort we have visited. I am starting to think it is par for the course due to humidity and inconsistent temperatures in the rooms. It isn't the worst but it is noticeable sometimes, even at the top notch resorts. We did not have any complaints about not having enough hot water or any other room convenience. The mini bar was always well stocked. I will say that their local beer was not very good in my opinion. The room service was a bit slow. I am not sure if it is because it took me a couple of days to give the housekeeper a tip or if it is just that they are short staffed, again not terrible but noticeable. Rooms were kept very clean though.
I was not thrilled with the food but it was not horrible. I have had much better and much worse. You won't go hungry and there is a decent selection. I think my complaints are more personal preference than thy are quality of food.
The pool area was spacious and clean. If you want good pool seats you have two choices like it or not. Pay the towel boys to save you seats or get up very early and save your own. It fills up by around 9AM. We paid the pool guy 20 bucks the first day and then a couple bucks a day thereafter. There were 12 of us though so it was worth it. The pool wait staff was pretty good and friendly, they were prompt with your drinks too. Again, I recommend tipping them as well even though it is said to be prohibited. It helps. All other staff was average with a few shining stars.
The beach was huge and there were plenty of seats and room to walk for miles, round trip. The entertainment crew was good and tried very hard. They did a great job.
Overall I would recommend this resort to anyone. It is pretty family oriented and was worth the money.
As with any all inclusive tipping is not necessary and is discouraged, but I usually take about 200 US dollar bills and tip pretty consistently. It helps with the service even though it is not suppose to.
- Also Known As:
- Riu Palace Punta Cana Hotel Punta Cana
- Riu Palace Punta Cana Hotel
- Riu Palace Punta Cana
- Punta Cana Riu Palace
- Riu Palace Hotel Punta Cana
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- * Located on Arena Gorda Beach in Punta Cana * Inside the Riu Resort, along with the Riu Palace Macao, Riu Taino, Riu Naiboa hotels and the ClubHotel Riu Bambu * 4-story building * Surrounded by 63,000 m2 / 75,000 sq. yards of lush gardens * Complimentary sun loungers on the beach * 50 km / 31 miles from Hig??ey * 30 km / 19 miles from Punta Cana Int???l. Airport ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Expedia, Travelocity, Orbitz, Priceline, Tingo, Caribbean Online Mgt Corp., TripOnline SA, getaroom.com, Otel, Hotels.com, Agoda and Fareportal so you can book your Hotel Riu Palace Punta Cana reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.