“Riu Palace Punta Cana” 3 of 5 stars

Ranked #53 of 100 hotels in Punta Cana
St. Peters, mo
“Riu Palace Punta Cana”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 8, 2012

The accommodations (a junior suite) were very nice and the grounds, pool and beach were wonderful. Very clean. The food was marginal at best. Very repetitious and mostly not very tasty. The staff was very helpful and friendly. Would we stay here again? No. Part of the all inclusive is supposed to be the good food and drinks. The drinks were watered down at most bars. The mamajuana was a very good drink.

Room Tip: We were on the first floor and it was very convenient. Facing the fountains was a nice view from th...
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled with family

2,774 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (532)
  • Polish first
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 7, 2012

I just returned from my vacation to RIU Palace Punta Cana. For the 4 night's there I had a real good time. As always the Jr Suite was great, the mini bar was well stocked. The location of the room to the pool and beach was great, right by the elevator. The food was real good every day and night. The hotel has 5 bars, 1 main restaurant for breakfast, lunch, and dinner. They also have 1 restaurant that is open when you can't make it to breakfast or lunch. There is also 5 restaurants that you will need to make reservations for during your stay. RIu also have 4 more resorts on property that you may decide to stay at.

If I had the chance I will go back to this hotel!!

• Stayed November 2012
Chicago, Illinois
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 7, 2012

Service and food, great...the problem...ROACHES and COLD WATER. Had to get them to spray room twice and out of 7 nights, only had hot water 3 days, other days was lukewarm. Used to always stay at Riu when I travel but this hotel has given me second thoughts

• Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
Leeds, United Kingdom
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 4, 2012

What a disappointment. First of all I would like to apologise to all those people who didn't give this hotel a good review; I thought you were nit-picking! Having stayed in the RIU PALACE I have seen first hand how below par this hotel is.

We had to upgrade (at an extra cost) as our original room was damp and musty. Our clothes smelled damp and unclean. Even after an expensive upgrade our suite wasn't without fault; leaking taps, broken toilet flush, damp patches, no light in shower and again the nasty damp smell.

Meal times were poor; cold tea and coffee, dirty tablecloths, dirty crockery, meat so tough it couldn't be cut, cold porridge. Generally not good.

On a positive note; the pool, beach and sea were lovely and the waiters around the pool were very good and friendly.

My partner and I looked around other hotels within the RIU chain and in our opinion were head and shoulders above the RIU PALACE, which should definitely be downgraded from a 5 star rating.

We would return to the Dominican but choose alternative accommodation.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
North Carolina
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 3, 2012

DO NOT believe the negative reviews!!! My wife and I stayed for 7 days Oct.13 to Oct. 20. The staff at check in was great. You could'nt expect a better room. House keeping was excellent! We tryed the food at several places and by far the best was the buffet! There is something for everyone. Their were two servers names Raul and Fransico aka shaggie. They were the most outstanding by Far!! They had our table ready for breakfast and dinner. Fresh flowers and our favorite beverages waiting on us. The pool was great! The intertainment staff was out of this world especially the one they called skinny. I would suggest getting involved in the games they put on. Now keep in mind my wife and I are middle aged and very introverted but we had a blast. My only suggestion is DO NOT take any excursions you WILL waste your money. The resorts beaches and pool are all you will need.We went to an island which is a national forest the beaches at the hotel were way nicer. This excursion was nothing but a tourist trap you could'nt enjoy the beach for the vendors!! Stay at the hotel!!! My only other piece of advice is to budget for good tips. These people have to survive on their tips. We tipped the house keeping staff the first day and then a few dollars each day our room was kept emmaculate turn down service each night and more towels than you could use. Now when I say tip not 2 dollars try atleast 5. Find yourself the same waiters and tip them well. At the pool I tipped the pool waiter 10 bucks and told him each time he came by go ahead and bring me a memosha. And every time he came by he had my drink. My wife does not drink so she ordered a sammy sossa no alcohol its a great drink. She never had to remind them about no alcohol they remembered. They treated us great.

Now if you want a good seat at the pool go down early get your pool towels and place them on the seats of your choice. The seats go fast after 9am. There were a few children there but it was'nt bad. Starting Nov 12th this resort will go to couples only no children. Which is good for us. Our children are grown and its nice to be able not to have to deal with any children. There was only one child there that was a problem he was about 2 and his mother who was from some European country would rather converse with her party than look after her son. At one point I almost had to jump in the pool to get him. His mother was just not watching him and he was 40 feet from her and was headed straight to the water. But other than that this place is GREAT! Be prepared for 90 degs. and about 75 percent humidity and LOTS of sunscreen.Also you are on the atlantic ocean side and some days the sea weed was a bit heavy. We will be going back next October for sure!

Room Tip: Try to get a room facing the garden side also dont get a high floor theres only a couple of elevator...
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
Galena, Illinois, United States
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 1, 2012

My family went to Punta Cana for a wedding. The Riu Palace was absolutely AWESOME! The staff was great, always helpful. Maid service was great, I even got evening turndowns. Rooms were absolutely beautiful. The beds were comfortable, the showers could probably fit about 8 people in it, they were so large. The food was fantastic, make sure you go to the Steak House while your their. Hugh piece of meat and so tender it melts in your mouth. Make sure to see Angel at the pool, he will definately keep the Mama Juana's and Miami Vices flowing. Went swimming with the dolphins, definately recommend. It was an absolute wonderful experience. Make sure to go on the Outback Safari, our guide whose name was also Angel was great. He made the experience one I will never forget. The night life, they always had great shows every night. Wasn't to many open chairs. Very good entertainment. The wedding was beautiful, right on the beach with the ocean as the background. All in all this was an absolute great trip, I was sad to leave after only 4 nights 5 days. Next time I go I will definately have to go 7 nights. I recommend this experience to everyone!!!

• Stayed September 2012, traveled with family
Oak Bay, NB
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 26, 2012

This was trip # 14 to Punta Cana, the Palace was great, our room was clean with a nice balcony on 3rd floor. Our room overlooked the fountains just above the pools. The maid service was very reliable, same time every day and well done. The mini bar was also restocked faithfully. The food was quite good at the buffets and the ala cartes. The drinks were well mixed and the evening shows and gatherings in the court yard were very entertaining. The lobby in this hotel is very impressive and the sports bar stays open 24 hours (the internet access is located in the sports bar). Overall the staff were very friendly and the front desk were very helpful. We had to wait for 3 hours to get our room but check-in was well posted to be 3pm and we arrived at noon. Lots of little shops are located between this resort and the other RIU's to the right side of the resort. The room service was the quickest we had ever run accross in Punta Cana. We enjoyed this resort a lot and would go back again.

• Stayed April 2012, traveled as a couple

Been to Hotel Riu Palace Punta Cana? Share your experiences!