“"Luxury" disappointment” 2 of 5 stars
Review of Sivory Punta Cana Boutique Hotel

You added Sivory Punta Cana Boutique Hotel to your Saves list
Sivory Punta Cana Boutique Hotel
5.0 of 5 Hotel   |   Uvero Alto Road | Playa Sivory, Punta Cana, Dominican Republic   |
Ranked #51 of 99 Hotels in Punta Cana
Mexico City, Mexico
“"Luxury" disappointment”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed April 25, 2014

This has been our most disappointing beach travel experience thus far. The hotel staff was extremely friendly, and the room was nice. However service was very slow, and food quality was well below expectations and extremely expensive.

To quote some examples:

1) There was a wedding happening outside our room making a lot of noise, and preventing us from sleeping. They knew in advance who the guests for the wedding were, and they could´ve arrange that they had the rooms closest to the wedding

2) Apart from a limited variety of food (only one breakfast menu every day) food quality was very poor. Both my husband and I had stomachaches during our stay. Plus the prices of food were exorbitant (I understand there is a premium to be paid at this superior hotels, but this was an insult). We have to had a brunch (because that was the only alternative) which cost $45 usd pp (plus a 28% tax and service upcharge). The price would´ve been reasonable for a good brunch, yet in this case there was green or rotten fruit, presentation was terrible (water in the floor for melting ice), and no stations to prepare food. Options basically were prepared scramble eggs, bacon, potatoes, vegetables, one type of fish and ham basically

3) Although service was very friendly it was extremely ineffective. We were standing at the pool for half an hour expecting that someone could help us get a chair to sit because everything was full. No body helped us until we talked to the manager. We expected until 3 pm so the person cleaning up our room ended her lunch to come and do our room. This also didn’t happened until we talked to the manager.
In summary we had an average experience, but we were not satisfied with the value we received for the money we invested in our vacations. We would certainly not go back to the Sivory Punta Cana, and we would not recommend it

• Stayed April 2014, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (149)
  • Polish first
New York City, New York
2 of 5 stars Reviewed April 23, 2014

I recently returned from a week long stay at the Sivory Punta Cana. The grounds and pool are absolutely beautiful. The waitstaff were incredibly sweet and did the best they could.

At one point this resort was considered a small luxury hotel of the world and I cannot figure out why. Every true luxury hotel I have stayed in exceeded expectations in almost every way and I never felt as though the premium price was not justified. Not the case with the Sivory.

There are several hidden fees that are not posted on the website that anyone considering booking the Sivory should be aware of:

- We booked our room at a rate of $195 per night. When we arrived at the hotel, they informed us because 3 people would be staying in the room (instead of 2), there would be an additional $140 per night charged. According to management, this is a 60% discount off their regular extra per person charge of $272 per night. Essentially, just book another room - its the same price. All we received for the $140 was an extra towel and glass of juice each day. After lots and lots of "conversations" about the fee; they refused to budge at all. We ended up paying the full amount.

- There are literally no other dining options any where near the hotel AT ALL unless you take a $60 - $80 cab ride (each way) to the main shopping district. They charge $171 per person/per night for an all-inclusive dining package. And the food is really awful. For us, this would have been an additional $513 per night. We opted to pay ala carte and came out slightly ahead, but not by much.

- There is a 28% government tax applied to EVERYTHING. 10% of that tax is the service charge that is intended to be returned to the waitstaff (more than fair, I tip 20%), but this tax is applied to the rooms, car service, gift shop items, etc as well. It certainly adds up - so its just something to be aware of.

We didn't allow this to ruin our trip. We simply tried to put the extortion out of our minds and enjoy the natural beauty. We will certainly not be returning however.

I have traveled all over the world and have stayed in regular hotels as well as luxury properties. This was certainly not a luxury property. I have had better service at the regular old Westins I stay at for business travel.

• Stayed April 2014, traveled with friends
Jose M, General Manager at Sivory Punta Cana Boutique Hotel, responded to this review, April 26, 2014
Dear KPwisco:

Thank you for choosing SIvory Punta Cana for your vacation and for alsot taking the time to share your impressions about our hotel with the travel community.

First, I regret to read these lines and to see that our hotel was not up to your expectations, therefore, I have reviewd carefully your stay history and file in order to search for more information and to provide you and the other travelers feedback about the problems that you mention and then, would like to make some remarks about them:

- I am concerned about what you mention of "hidden fees", so I went to the website where you purchased your vacations (which I will call JST.com for ethic reasons), one that has been our partner for long time, and I went immediately in order to verify if there was any missing information about the local applicable taxes in the Dominican Republic, and here is what I found on the page dedicated to our hotel in that website: on the section "What to Know" in the Oveview page says: "A 10 percent service charge and 18 percent gov't tax per night will be collected at checkout on JTS".

We are very transparent with all our transactions and prices, I would like to invite you and all the travelers reading this post to go right now to sivorypuntacana.com and will see this same information. These two taxes are not optional, are part of the national tax scheme and informed to our guests through all our booking channels.

- You also mention that you paid the full amount for the third person that came in your party. Our rates and accomodations are quoted for two persons, so, in case the guests bring a third person or child, there will be an additional cost. As also expressed in the website where you purchased your vacations: in the "Room Details & Policies" section clearly states "Maximum Occupancy: Three (Rates quoted are for two people. There is a cost to add an additional guest to this suite; see policies below.)".

And the "policies below" section say: "guests are responsible for all incidental charges during their stay (e.g., additional person fees, room service, wine coolers, in-room movies, etc.)"

Upon checkin, when we saw 3 persons arriving, when the reservation was made for two, we explained about the policy and the applicable extra fee for the third person. We were delighted of having an additional guest, but that doesnt mean that there wouldn´t be a charge for that person. It is not only about an extra towel and a glass of juice, the principle is about an additional person enjoying of the hotel, and that has a cost defined in our business policies. Im really sorry and apologize if you were surprised by us with this information upon checkin and maybe you dindt see it while making your reservation.

However, we tried to be flexible and extended a courtesy 60% off from the original price that you correctly mention of US$272, and that is what we honoured, we didnt charge you for the whole price. I reviewed your final bill and I saw the deduction reflected.

Once again, thanks for sharing your comments and concerns, and expect to have the honor of your visit in the near future.

Should you like to discuss further details, please feel free to contact me anytime at +1-809-333-0500 or jmella@sivorypuntacana.com

Kind Regards!

Milwaukee, Wisconsin
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 22, 2014

After reading the last review, i felt that I needed to share my opinion of this resort. My wife and I had an amazing time at The Sivory! We stayed April 1st-8th of this year. We laid by the pool everyday and the service we received was the best of any resort we have previously stayed at. The pool attendants came around to all the guests atleast once every half hour to take drink and food orders. We ate lunch at the pool everyday because the service was a lot quicker then in the restaurant. We enjoyed every meal we ate at the resort. We ate at all three restaurants and found that everything was prepared well and tasted delicious. The resort is well maintained and beautiful, the staff is hard at work cleaning around the property at all times of the day. It was extremely windy the week we were there so we did not enjoy the beach as much as we would have like to, but every evening we would take a walk and it was lovely. We really enjoyed ourselves and would love to return sometime in the future. Thank you to the wonderful staff for giving us the relaxing week that we so badly needed!

Dear Jeipps:

Greetings from sunny Sivory!!!

Many thanks for choosing our hotel for your vacation and for sharing your experience with other travelers.

We really appreciate your kind comments, and are really glad of seeing that you enjoyed your time with us. Good to know that you enjoyed your days arond our pool, I will pass your kind words to the waiters, which will make them even more proud of their jobs.

In your future visit to the Dominican Republic, we expect to have again the honor of your visit. Should you need any additional information, or need to plan your next trip, please feel free to contact us anytime at +1-809-333-0500 or US toll free 1 855 748 6790.

New York City, New York
1 of 5 stars Reviewed April 21, 2014

The information on this hotel is misleading and incorrect.

The food is disgusting!!! Overpriced slop that I wouldn't eat even if it was free. ( which it is not). The rooms are old and moldy. There is NO service. The sheets and towels are sticky and old and the beds are poorly made and it all seems unhygienic.

I can't understand why it would be one on slh because it is not luxurious at all.

The hotel did not honor our reservation and down graded our room while refusing to compensate us.

I will never return to the Dominican Republic.

• Stayed April 2014
Dear Robcity1:

Thank you for choosimg Sivory for your vacation and for posting this review about your experience.

Since you and your wife have posted individual reviews with the same content, expressing that we downgraded you and didnt honor the reservation while refusing to compensate you, I will post this same answer at both reviews.

You arrived to our hotel on April 15. You booked two Luxury Oceanfron Jr Suites. We had this two rooms prepared for your arrival (room 31 and room 51). Upon arrival, you expressed that you needed the two rooms to be adjacent, since you were traveling with your children, which we truly understanded and still do. Undortunately we weren´t able to provide two rooms one next to the other one, since we were at that time at full capacity and we dind´t receive that request in advance. Had we received a note from you a couple of days ahead requesting us this important need, we would´ve made the arrangements and would´ve saved two adjacent rooms for you.

Since having your children next to you was very important, the solution we came up with was to give you one of your two original rooms (31) and assign to your children the room upstairs to yours (32), and since this change represented a downgrade for one of the two rooms, we accepted to make a credit for this category/rate difference. The total amount for the credit was US$428, which we made, as I can see in your final bill a -428 deduction.

I have also received a letter from SLH customer service,expressing the same about the hotel downgrading you and not making any refund, we replied them about the solution described above. I will send you right away to your email a copy of your final bill, in case you lost it, and that may be the reason for having this confusion about .

Additionally, since this was a misunderstanding not generated by the hotel, we think that other that refunding the $428 for the rate difference, there is nothing else to compensate in this regard.

I regret that our food was not up to your expectations. Altough we usually receive very good comments about our food, we respect and value the different palates and needs, theefore respect your opinion about the food. However, in order for us to improve, since guests feedback is very important for us, I would like to invite you to share more details with me about your experience with our food that makes you rate it as disgusting. I would like to kindly ask you to send me an email with these concerns.

Once again, thank you for choosing us and for sharing your feedback. Should dyou need additional information or would like to share more details, please feel free to contact me anytime at +1-809-333-0500 or toll free from US 1 855 748 6790.

New York
2 of 5 stars Reviewed April 21, 2014

The location is beautiful but there is no service at all. Waited 4 hours for a towel at the pool and there was no pool side service at all. There is limited shade at the pool and the staff are unhelpful. Do not do any excursions with the hotel as they are a nightmare.

The food in all three restaurants is so bad we ordered room service hamburgers and pasta because we couldn't eat the restaurant food. The servings are too small for a 6 year old.

They didn't have the room we reserved so they downgraded us and refused to refund us the difference.

If the location was not so beautiful this would have been a really bad vacation. The hotel is musty and badly kept, the beds are not properly made up, the sheets and towels are old and crunchy.

• Stayed April 2014
Dear citygirl12345:

Thank you for choosing Sivory for your vacation and for posting this review about your experience.

Since you and your husband have posted individual reviews with the same content, expressing that we downgraded you and didnt honor the reservation while refusing to compensate you, I will post very similar to both reviews, expressing our point of view of the situation.

I regret that our food was not up to your expectations. Altough we usually receive very good comments about our food, we respect and value the different palates and needs, theefore respect your opinion about the food. However, in order for us to improve, since guests feedback is very important for us, I would like to invite you to share more details with me about your experience with our food that makes you rate it as "so bad". I would like to kindly ask you to send me an email with these concerns. However, I have reviewed carefully your file and all the tickets from your consumptions made during your stay, and interestingly I only found one order of mini-burger duriing your whole stay...

Once again, thank you for choosing us and for sharing your feedback. Should you need additional information or would like to share more details with us, please feel free to contact me anytime at +1-809-333-0500 or toll free from US 1 855 748 6790.

Saint John, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 18, 2014

We had a well needed relaxing stay at Sivory...we stayed 2 days....the staff was very attentive to all our needs and service was great and always with a smile ...the rooms are very spacious,clean and comfortable ...the atmosphere all through the resort is very relaxed ....a vacation we will cherish for a long time ....great stay

Royal Oak, MI
3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 12, 2014

Stayed at the property for 6 nights from March 29-April4, 2014. This is our 5th time to Punta CAna and we decided to give this place a chance based on the beautiful photos and reviews on their web site. Big mistake. The property is unkempt, the food is not even close to gourmet, there is no gym to speak of, and the rooms are dark and un-fresh.
The spa burned down so it was moved to the Presidential suite. Very small and the treatments are extremely over priced for what you get.
ON the plus side, the staff was friendly.
The resort is VERY quiet with nothing to do in the evening. There were only about 15 rooms occupied when we were there during peak season.

Room Tip: Rooms located on the second floor are better than ground level.