“Exactly What We Needed!!” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Sivory Punta Cana Boutique Hotel

You added Sivory Punta Cana Boutique Hotel to your Saves list
Sivory Punta Cana Boutique Hotel
5.0 of 5 Hotel   |   Uvero Alto Road | Playa Sivory, Punta Cana, Dominican Republic   |
Ranked #53 of 98 Hotels in Punta Cana
North Carolina, United States
“Exactly What We Needed!!”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 3, 2013

We wanted a quiet and secluded vacation and Sivory exceded our expectations. The "all inclusive resorts" that americans love is not what these two americans wanted! 55 rooms sounded like just the right size and it truly was.

The rooms were amazing and views from anywhere are spectacular. Great beds and the lounge patio is really a nice touch. I think 2nd floor is the best bet for any traveler unless you insist on the private plunge pool. The stocked wine fridge was a nice touch.

The grounds were pristine and tended to almost daily. The maintenance staff was quiet and hardly seen (unless you looked). And the often complained about mosquitos? We never saw a single mosquito as the grounds were sprayed daily.

The food was awesome! Sure everyone likes a huge menu, but part of being pampered at an exclsusive resort is being presented with authentic cusine. Sivory did not disappoint and truly delivers a great dining experience. Oh and the wines.....try finding a better selection in the DR!

The pool was great and never crowded. The pool bar was perfect and the food menu had just what you needed after long hours of good drinks and too much sun :-)

The beach was so picturesque we didn't want to leave. In fact we stayed on the beach under the cool shade of the palm and coconut trees all day everyday. The water was beautiful and the view to die for. On any given day there were less than 10 people on the beach. Now that is what we called secluded!

The staff was excellent. Very helpful and friendly. And we learned something new about customer service. You get what you ASK for. If we needed help they were right there. If we wanted privacy they stayed away. Perfect!

Spa. We loved it and next time we will get massages everyday. Maybe more.

Activities. There was a guy who could arrange any excursion you want. We only had to tell him once "no thank you" and he left us alone all week. Be prepared to travel a few hours for these if you think you might want to do an excursion.

Complaints? We had one small issue with our room at check in and we were moved immediately to another.

Things to know:
It's quiet. No music or screaming parties. Even the few kids there were quiet.
It's remote. Over an hour by taxi and it's not close to any shopping etc.
It's small. Only 55 rooms. While we were there we never saw more than a dozen people in one place. This is not a mega all inclusive resort.
Spanish. If you speak Spanish your in good shape. if not, be patient as they are pretty good at English too.
Rooms. The basic rooms are just fine so save your money.
Tipping. At Sivory you sign a ticket for all food and beverages. You can write in a tip and be sure to include your servers name!
Beachs. All DR beaches are public so don't be afraid to walk and explore. And bring your own snorkeling gear as there is a reef just a short walk down the beach.
last it must be said that all the negative reviews seem to say the same thing, they wanted what you get at a big resort. That is not what Sivory is about. So if you want crowds, all you can eat buffets, loud music, and drunk idiots go to Cancun.

Overall this is an amazing resort. If a private vacation is what you want look no further than Sivory. Thank you for a truly romantic getaway that we will never forget. We will be back!

• Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (154)
  • Polish first
Clichy, Ile-de-France, France
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 26, 2013

I booked a sty with my baby son. Everything was perfect except that the sea is nt the Caraibean sea but th atlantic so there is a lot of waves, sometimes a bit dangerous, but if you walk a bit you will find a place more quiete to swim.
the hotel is a bit far away from the aeroport but you must deserve it! it's a very paradise place, a small luxury hotel quiet and very, very pleasant.
The team is really nice, I remember Kevin that brings us the breakfast in the morning, he knew that my son woke up early so he always begin by our room to bring the breakfast, I think about Elisabeth that kept my baby during my sport time, she was so kind, gentle, patient, i definetely recommend her as the perfect baby sitter and a very pleasant reception at the spa because her job is to welcome you to the spa andshe does it really carefully, generosity, i also think about Luis, the gyus at the blue bar always smiling and happy. I really did appreciate the attention they gave to my child, they do love kids !!! I hope I can come back soon to this paradise!

• Stayed August 2013, traveled with family
Florida
1 of 5 stars Reviewed August 12, 2013 via mobile

We booked this resort with high expectations due to the photos, hotel description and reviews and once we got there we were beyond disappointed. The room was pretty but the hotel descriptions say the rooms come with either an outside shower or a plunge pool, our room came with neither and of course when we asked about this they promote upgrading for a mere $167 a night, as if we didn’t already spend enough between the room and the meal plan, but we humored him and asked to see the upgraded room, when we get there the pool is surrounded by mosquitoes. The AC in the room doesn’t work properly and when we reported this the front desk staff said they fixed it but when we returned to our room it was the same exact temperature as when we left the room, we were stuck sweating throughout the night making it a very uncomfortable night sleep. The bed is extremely poor, they listed the rooms as having premier bedding- not even close, it was lumpy and hard. The resort seems abandoned and creepy, as if you are stuck on a deserted island, I think we saw about 10 people at the most on a resort of 55 rooms… Doesn’t seem right.. I understand it’s a small resort but if not even 25% of the rooms are occupied that seems a little fishy to me, especially during summer time. The first night we went to dinner and the menu options are extremely limited, they offered maybe 4 options for dinner courses on each restaurant’s menu. When we tried to order drinks we were told consistently that they were out of things or what was being requested wasn’t included in the meal plan, and when we did find something to order the bartenders had no idea how to even make the drinks offered on the menus. He literally sat there reading the menu each time something was requested… We stayed one night to try and make the best of the situation but it was just a terrible experience, there are no lights on the property so once the sun goes down its dark, very very dark, and there is zip to do. It seemed as though they only want you to sit in the hotel room and do nothing to bother them, I realize this resort promotes relaxation but this was just crazy and boring. No music, not even island music at the pool, the staff at the bar doesn’t bring drinks to the pool, you have to get up and order and wait for them there. The last straw was after waking up and trying to eat breakfast at 10:15 in the morning and being turned away due to EVERY restaurant being closed. We were told we had to go back to our room and order room service if we were hungry or we could eat snacks from the pool bar, even McDonalds serves breakfast until 10:30, we felt extremely unwelcomed and uncomfortable… We are in the Dominican Republic and they offered NO Dominican food, makes ZERO sense to me…There were dead birds on the property (I have pictures of this), apparently nobody cleans up around there, they are extremely understaffed. I do not understand how this property is rated so highly because truthfully it was a waist of my time and money… If you are interested in anything other than reading a book or laying in your hotel room DO NOT stay at this hotel, it is so far away from everything else so once you are there you’re pretty much stuck unless you want to take a 45 minute, $70 cab ride to the city where there is civilization! We ended up leaving and going to Melia Tropical, thank goodness we did because we had a GREAT time there!!!

• Stayed August 2013
Jose M, General Manager at Sivory Punta Cana Boutique Hotel, responded to this review, August 14, 2013
Dear Christeena_Maree:

Thank you for choosing Sivory for your vacation and for sharing your opinion with the travel community. Please allow me to also share comments and remarks regarding your comments about your experience at our hotel:

We have different room categories, one of them is our "luxury oceanfront Jr. Suite" where we have a plunge pool in the Patio. We also have our "Honeymoon Suites", at these 6 rooms we have an outdoor shower. You purchased a very nice "Deluxe Oceanview Jr. Suite", which has a nice oceanview balcony. We don't promote that all the rooms have these features, and in the case the customer wants to have a plunge pool, an outdoor shower or a bigger room, there is always the option of buying an upgrade.

According to our hotline logbook, you reported your AC and it was fixed within 15 minutes, and also shows that a front desk agent called to the room to verify if you were satisfied with the service, where you reported everything was OK. Had you told us that you were not satisfied with the solution we provided, you could've informed us and we would've worked until you were happy, that's our responsibility.

The "creepy" environment that you refer to, are our lush ecological gardens, where we only use local plants and we don't use water for irrigation, maintaining a meticulous care of them.

what you describe as a weakness (the quiet and peaceful environment of our hotel) is what we promote as one of our strengths and what most of our guests come looking to live. However, we respect your opinion, but we think that simply this is a matter of expectations and it seems you arrived to a place that didn't have the type of environment you were expecting, maybe you didn't have the time of reading in detail the concept of our property at the time of your booking.

I will review with the bars department in order to see which beverages we were shortage, or which beverages you wanted to order that were out of our plan. Our meal plan offers a wide selection of premium beverages, but as in any place, there are some beverages that are not included. I will review stock and inventory in order to avoid this situation in the future, we apologize for the inconveniences this may have caused.

We serve Dominican food, but unfortunately you only stayed one night, and the only dinner you had was at TAU, our Asian restaurant. Had you asked any of our staff about Dominican food, they would’ve immediately referred you to go to laveranda restaurant where we have our “Dominican corner”, serving: sancocho (Dominican stew), local grouper with coconut sauce and tostones (mashed plantains), the “Dominican flag” which consist of stewed chicken, rice and beans. We also received a complaint note from your Travel agent were they report that you found no restaurant to eat. That is confusing to me, as you have already said in this comment that you had dinner and I also have a copy of the order and bill.

I'm so sorry if you saw dead birds in the garden, but despite of our intensive daily cleaning program, we cannot control nature and when a species dies. But thank you for letting us know, as we are a very eco-friendly hotel, we don't like our species to die, so we will start an investigation in order to find the reason for these unusual deaths. I have another doubt, you agent said in the email we received, that it was only 1 bird and it was inside your room. Could you please clarify? Additionally, we are a proud SLH and 4 Diamonds property, where cleaning is not a goal, it is a must and a regular activity.

At your departure, you mentioned that you decided to leave because the hotel was too quiet for you. As early departures are not frequent at our hotel, our concierge staff member insisted and asked if there was any inconvenience or any other reason, where you again said it was only for the quietness of our hotel. As we respect our clients choices, we didn’t insisted more, as we thought you were not going to feel comfortable staying here if you maybe were looking for a more active place.

Once again, thank you for sharing your feedback. I sent you an email this morning talking about this matter. Should you like to share more details with us or discuss about my answer, please feel free to write to me at jmella@sivorypuntacana.com,

Kind Regards

JM
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 2, 2013

I had a fantastic stay back in April with friends! I was pleasantly surprised to find the hotel decor and with really great food. We had a wonderful dinner at their fabulous specialty restaurant; we had a 6 course menu that was exquisite along with the wine pairing. My accommodations were lush and comfortable. I stayed in an ocean front suite with a small pool in front. The bathroom had a bathtub and separate shower which I always appreciate! The staff was very friendly and attentive but you never felt like they were overly servile. My only complaint would be that the mosquitoes were extremely aggressive and I wasn’t prepared for them, maybe this is due to their landscaping. I highly recommend this SLH hotel in the Dominican Republic.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled with friends
Montreal
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 28, 2013

Right now I am sitting on the terrace under incrediably blue skies looking out at the empty beach..If you are looking for seclusion this is the place..If you want to feel that you have a beach to yourself, this is the place. The food is excellant, the rooms spacious and comfortable, and the staff friendly and curtious. Considering the small number of guests however the service could be faster..I came here with a girlfriend to relax, and that is exactly what we are doing( there is no choice) This is a really small boutique hotel so really there are no organized activities unless you want to leave the resort.Don't come here if you want night life or hustle and bustle, only if you want to laze the days away..We have only a few complants..1) the beach is not cleaned. It should be raked etc, since it is littered by sticks etc..I have been to 6 resorts in Punta Cana and this is the first one where the beach is not kept clean.2) Keep extra appliances on hand..We have not been able to have frozen drinks because of a broken blender for the last 2 days.This is odd considering we are at a resort, you would think they have backups of all their equipment..3) the rooms were definately not designed by a women.. The lighting in the bathroom is so low, it is almost impossible to do makeup..
I would definately recommend this hotel to couples who want to have lots of alone time. All in all the resort is top notch..

• Stayed July 2013, traveled with friends
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 27, 2013 via mobile

A lot to like in this hotel and just shy of being excellent
Pros:
- price
- size and quality of rooms
- great pool and amenities
- secluded beach, not too many people
- great all-inclusive plan
- automatic upgrade to ocean view when booking through slh.com

Cons
- two third of guests smoked (all French) and this almost ruined our vacation... It should be forbidden to smoke at the restaurant terrace and around the pool
- staff hardly spoke English
- food variety... Daily changing menus would be a good idea
- beach wasn't cleaned regularly

Overall we had a great time and would come back and/or recommend if forbid smoking.

Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple
Knoxville, Tennessee
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 21, 2013

We had a very enjoyable trip at a rather secluded resort. The resort is quite fancy and small. We were on our honeymoon and looking for time alone. The resort was perfect for us, though we did go during the rainy season, which created some cloud cover and a periodic shower.

The concierge and staff were very helpful. We had room service several times throughout the week. The maids also came by our room to check on us twice a day, in addition to putting out flowers and setting up a bubble bath for us.

The resort included three restaurants, one of which was more casual and available for all three meals. One was nicer and required nicer outfits (long pants for guys). The other was primarily Asian food. They were all good, though maybe nicer than we were used to eating regularly. However, we were able to get casual snacks at the snack bar in the afternoons also. We ate dessert at pretty much every meal, which was wonderful.

Franklin, one of the employees at the desk, helped us throughout the week. We were also able to find excellent excursions. One of the guys taught us how to scuba dive and set us up for a snorkeling trip off of Catalina Island. The concierge set us up for a trip around the island to see a local school and village, among other things.

Overall, we thoroughly enjoyed our experience, since we were looking for a romantic getaway and quiet atmosphere, which was ideal with only approximately 10 other couples.

Room Tip: We were not on the beach, which did not bother us. We were on the second row, which was just as con...