“Great Place to Relax” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Sivory Punta Cana Boutique Hotel

Save Saved
You added Sivory Punta Cana Boutique Hotel to your Saves list
Sivory Punta Cana Boutique Hotel
5.0 of 5 Hotel   |   Uvero Alto Road | Playa Sivory, Punta Cana, Dominican Republic   |
Ranked #43 of 100 hotels in Punta Cana
New York City, New York
“Great Place to Relax”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 12, 2013

My husband and I went here a week ago and had a great time. The resort is beautiful with an amazing beach and lovely gardens. The room was terrific. It was a great size with lots of space and everything we could want. The all inclusive package is a dream. I put my wallet in the safe upon arrival and only took it out when we left. The staff here could not be freindlier. Everyone really wants to make your stay as comfortable as can be. The food is good (not great). We were not looking for excitement but wanted a quiet place to relax and recharge. This place was the perfect place to do that.

561 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (96)
  • Polish first
Palmerston, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 3, 2013

Having recently returned from 10 days at the Sivory, we cannot say enough about the friendliness and capability of the staff. From the moment we arrived, they bent over backwards to make us feel welcome and to see that all our needs were met. In fact, even before our arrival, Magdalena, the reservations manager, efficiently answered our emails and arranged transport from the airport. Christian greeted us in the lobby and made our check-in smooth and painless. So did the glass of champagne we were offered. He was also very helpful in answering any questions then or later. Jose, the resort manager , was a gracious host and made a point of talking to everyone at the manager's cocktail party. The concierge seemed to be on top of everything , calling our room more than once to see if everything was O.K. and to ask if we needed anything. Although our room was cleaned at different times during the day, depending on how busy the staff was with room changeovers, that was not a problem, as it was always well done; and we certainly enjoyed our turn-downs with the water and chocolates by the bed. Then there was Edwin at the Blu bar. He was friendly and open-even proudly sharing photos of his family- and always helpful with things like moving beach chairs and moving towels. He also makes a great Poco Loco, among other special drinks. We ate most of our meals at Laveranda where Fabien , Iselso (the only one in the D.R. ) and Samuel , treated us like royalty and catered to all our culinary needs/special requests. Since we ate early compared to our European counterparts, we often had the restaurant to ourselves, at least for the first half of our dinner.
The resort itself met all our expectations and then some. We had booked a junior deluxe suite, expecting a garden view room, and were delighted when we were placed in one with a partial ocean view. The suite was extremely roomy (650 square feet) and came with a double-head shower and a two person tub, a complimentary mini-bar which was restocked daily with water, soft drinks and beer, complimentary snacks, and coffee with a coffee maker. The coffee maker was much appreciated as it supplemented the "open your eyes" breakfast left at our door every morning; and snacks and beverages usually carried us through to dinner. We decided not to take the Sivory meal plan, and after discovering all the amenities mentioned above plus the complimentary appetizers served at dinner, we found we didn't need it. We also didn't consume a great deal of alcohol.
The only downside was that the weather did not fully co-operate and the sea was rough for a few days.(not something they could do anything about). We eventually found a calmer spot down the beach, just before the next resort, where we could swim. Do be prepared with bug spray for sand fleas and the odd mosquito.
To sum up, this is a great place to spend a holiday.Because of this small resort's intimate atmosphere, we never felt crowded. In fact, we often felt like we were in our own private pool or on our own private beach. Very relaxing ! Hint-to those of you who want to see just how warm the Dominican people really are, show them the respect of learning a few phrases of Spanish and French (their languages). It goes a long way and elicits a big smile.
Thanks again for a wonderful stay. Hopefully we see you next year !

• Stayed January 2013, traveled with friends
Alexandria, Virginia
1 of 5 stars Reviewed February 3, 2013

I hate to give this hotel a bad review, because the grounds are spectacular, and the room was gorgeous. However, our entire trip was ruined when my wedding band (gold with diamonds) went missing from inside our room. When we arrived the safe did not work, and since we were only staying for two days didn't report it immediately which was our mistake. Since the safe didn't work I left my wedding band in a small jewelry pouch on the bathroom sink when we went to the beach in the morning . When we returned to get ready for dinner, it was missing. This was the only valuable piece of jewelry in the pouch. We reported the incident to the hotel and to the local police. The hotel said they did an "investigation" and found no "irregular activity". Several people came into our room that day, including a housekeeper, a security person, a minibar restocker, and another housekeeper who drew a bath for us late in the afternoon. Of course the staff did not admit to stealing the ring when interviewed by their bosses. I understand that without any specific evidence, it's our word against the staff's; however, the fact remains there is a thief who works at this beautiful hotel, and I wanted to warn other travelers about it. The hotel did not offer us any discount when we checked out, although we asked fo rit. Not that this would have made up for an expensive wedding band going missing on a first year anniversary trip, but it would have probably made me feel better about this experience. We were only there two days, and spent an entire day dealing with the theft. As you can imagine, this ruined our mood and we did not enjoy our time there as soon as we discovered the ring was stolen. Although the hotel kindly drove us to the police station, with an interpreter, frankly, I expected something a little more from a hotel of this caliber and rate, such as comping half our our stay or giving us some other coupon or certificate. If you do decide to travel there, do not bring anything of value, since there is someone going through people's things.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple
Jose M, General Manager at Sivory Punta Cana Boutique Hotel, responded to this review, February 15, 2013
Dear KatarynaD:

Thank you for posting your review.

As explained to you on my email of Jan 29 (four days before you posting this review) and my today's email, we informed you that after a thorough investigation (including the local police), we found no evidence of a robbery inside your room, and additionally because of the fact that we did not have a report of a malfunctioning safe deposit box and the missing item was presumably left outside the box in the room, we were not in the position of providing a refund.

We have no reason for doubting from your word, but all the gathered information doesn’t provide strong evidence indicating a breach into your room and a subsequent robbery and additionally, we proudly work with very honest and decent staff that overall have worked with us for at least 2 years, and this is not a usual situation in our hotel, therefore we still maintain our position.

It is your right to write a review, as I also told you during our conversation at the lobby before your checkout, but what we dont find accurate or fair, is "warning" the travel community about a "thief" in the property, without having a formal proof of it, putting in risk the reputation of these employees who accessed your room legitimately and with all the investigation had shown not to be involved in the situation.

Should you need additional information, please feel free to contact us anytime.

Kind regards

JM
New York City
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 1, 2013

I was at the Sivroy 1/20/13-1/23/13 to celebrate my mother's retirement. I am a clean freak and I was concerned the room might not be up to my level of cleanliness. I was pleasantly surprised. I didn't complain about the room once; my mother was shocked. The housekeeping staff are great. I met our housekeeper and was in the room once when she was cleaning.

We were told we would have two single beds. But, when we arrived, we had a king bed. This place caters to couples, so I do not believe they have many single beds. They told us they would try to resolve this the next day. They didn't and never followed up with us. But, it wasn't a big deal. We didn't mind sharing a bed. The bed wasn't the most comfy bed I have slept on. It was average. Do not bring your kids. They will be bored. This is a place for adults.

This is the place to go to if you want to relax. There is nothing to do other than sit around. So, if you are looking to party, this is not the resort for you.

There is not much of a food selection here and the food wasn't very good. That was the biggest disappointment. However, the food is very reasonably priced. The food did not cost any more than going out to dinner any day of the week in a major city in the U.S. I was expecting the food and drinks to be very expensive. They have a $170/per person/per day all inclusive option. We didn't do it because neither one of us drinks or eats all that much. Plus, seeing how we didn't like the food, I am glad we didn't do the all inclusive option.

We went to the spa twice. Let me say...you can pass on the spa. We got a mani/pedi one day and a massage the next day. The nail technician was extremely nice and took her time. However, she just isn't the best technician. For example, she was ready to paint my toes without cutting my toenails. And, the property really needs to invest in some nail polish. They have about 10-12 OPI colors that really need to be replaced. The polish is old and clumpy. I picked two colors and both had to be thrown out because they were so old. The massage was ok. However, it is an open air spa and it was just too hot for me. I really think there should be A/C in the massage rooms.

The property is off the beat and path. It is a solid hour away from the Punta Cana airport. On the way there, we took some dirt roads. On the way back, we took a paved road. This is not the place to go if you have a short trip or want to get right to relaxing.

This place caters to folks from everywhere. There were a lot of French vacationers when we were there. Folks at the property speak English, Spanish, and French. Because the property caters to people from everywhere, you will have to get used to different levels of courtesies. For example, a lot of the European guests smoked, the women sun bathed topless, and the men wore very small bathing suits. We didn't care at all about the sun bathers or small bathing suits. The smoking, however, was an issue. Being from the U.S., I guess we are just used to folks not being able to smoke in common area. But, we weren't in the U.S. so we sucked it up and tried not to let it bother us.

Oh, the mosquitoes are bad....like really really bad. I had to go to the dermatologist when I got home to get some cream. Off doesn't work. The mosquitoes just slurp it up like it is water. You will need to go to a travel clinic and get their mosquito repellant. And, DO NOT leave your patio door open.

Long and short...I likely wouldn't go back even though the room was nice and the staff were wonderful. It is just too far a drive for a short trip and the food wasn't good enough for me to return.

Room Tip: We had one of the rooms right on the beach with the small pool.
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled with family
Austin, TX
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 30, 2013

If you are looking for quiet seclusion, this is the place for you. Just make sure that is what you are looking for. It is a peaceful, quiet place. The restaurants are dark and romantic. The bars are mellow. The pool is mellow. It is a great place to reconnect with your loved one. Not a good place for kids, partying or seeking local culture, night life. It is just way out there, the farthest hotel north of the airport, and that is a good thing. There were times when we would walk to dinner and literally would not see another person. My wife and I were looking for this type of place.

Another notable: there were tons of Europeans, mostly french. I kind of liked that. But you also have to deal with the inevitably nuisance of having a bunch of french people being annoyed that you are around them, so that could be annoying if you get the wrong mix crowd. I liked to drink at the pool and enjoy myself and when a few Americans got a little rowdy, there were plenty of sideways glares.

Something else to consider is that food and drinks are expensive. I think this is attributable to just the type of place it is, the fact that it is a long way away from town, and the fact that there is a 28% tax on everything. The tax alone added about $1000 to our 4-night stay. That's hefty. Cocktails are $12 + 28%. Also, you should probably tip on top of the 28%, so that adds another 10%. It adds up. Drinks were good and stiff though, so that's good. Food was mostly very good. I wished for more actual Dominican or carribean cuisine. They seem to be focus more on french and asian.

Also of note, this is on the Atlantic, which means the water is rough and it can be really windy. Sometimes too windy.

One down side was that our bathtub did not work. The showers were very nice though. We are pretty easy-going people, so it didn't bother us too much. We were told it would take a day to fix and we didn't want to deal with it.

Room Tip: Depends on what you are looking for. Ask for front row on the beach. The bottom floors have plunge...
Fort Myers, Florida
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 23, 2013

My wife and I just returned from a trip celebrating our 10th anniversary. If you’re looking for a very quiet, peaceful, relaxing experience, I humbly suggest that you can stop reading reviews and book Sivory. Here’s the short list: Immaculate rooms (we had a 1st floor room on the beach and would do it again), gorgeous beach/pool, off the charts cuisine (we did the Sivory plan and would do it again), relaxing spa. Most importantly, the people at Sivory were incredible. Our concierge, Jean Alex Dameus, was enthusiastic, energetic and, I am convinced, was sincerely dedicated to ensure a trip of a lifetime. He succeeded in concert with Rogelio and Edwin at the pool bar, Mia and Jadry at the restaurant, and our valet, Jorge. I hope to be forgiven if I’ve forgotten any names as thanks are owed to all. Many thanks to Joan, manager/sommelier, who executed an anniversary dinner that we will never forget (not to mention the “to go” paella for our ride to the airport). Great thanks to Jose, the Director. As Jose and I discussed, this resort has a marvelous rhythm that, I believe, is set in motion by the beautiful location and followed through to perfection by Jose and his team. It was a trip of a lifetime and we are already discussing our return.

Saint Augustine, Florida
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 20, 2013

We saved and searched for a year to be able to take this trip. I did so much research on the Dominican Republic and Punta Cana specifically that I knew this location would be just what we were looking for. And that was : an oceanfront, all-inclusive resort, with great food, and a highly rated spa, quiet, peaceful and romantic room. We had a wonderful time at Sivory Punta Cana. I called 3 times after I had made our reservations (through CheapCaribbean) to ask so many questions and they patiently and completely answered them all, even if the English/Spanish language barriers were difficult! Franklin was wonderful! Such a kind and patient man. Jose was a great manager and very friendly. Hector makes an amazing margarita and Coco Loco! And Mia, she's a sweetheart and the best waitress on the property.

So, we arrived on a Sunday night after a long day of travel and missed flights. I had called after we realized we were not going to make our connecting flight and asked to have fruit and bread and juice in our room when we finally arrived at 11pm. It was there and delicious. (oh it is an hour drive, but the government is building a new highway that will make the trip from airport to Sivory only 30 min). Franklin gave us a quick tour of the lobby/lounge area and brought us to our room. It was very nice! Most. comfortable. bed. ever. We quickly found the room service menu and ordered some items. By the time it arrived 30 minutes later (it was, after all, 1am), we were disappointed. I hoped that the food would be better in the morning. And my goodness! We awoke to a gorgeous day, we could see the ocean (the Atlantic, not the Caribbean by the way) and we walked a short walk to breakfast. It was amazing! The food got better every meal it seemed like! My husband had lobster for lunch and dinner every day. I would highly recommend purchasing the all-inclusive package. And don't worry about seeing prices on the menu. When they say it's all-inclusive, it means order as many drinks and entrees as you want, it's a part of the package. Get the paella!! I'm craving it right now and it's been a month since we were there.

My husband and I both got massages, which are worth the splurge. We spent a lot of time in the spa! The sauna and the pools were a great way to relax. They really take care of you there. The hot tub isn't hot, but it was still enjoyable!

When we told Jose it was our 10th anniversary, he made sure to make us feel very special. Also, if a bottle of wine we ordered wasn't available, he replaced it with an even better bottle. Speaking of wine, in your room is a 12 bottle wine cooler. Whatever you drink, they replace it the next day. And room service was great (as long as you don't order after 1am).

We really enjoyed the quietness of the resort. It was just what we were looking for. If you want any sort of night life at all, don't go here. This is a place for relaxing, enjoying your spouse (I wouldn't bring kids), eating well and just reconnecting and disengaging from reality. There were several newlyweds and others celebrating their anniversaries.

One last thing, since Sivory is the last stop for most of the taxis/tour buses, you will be the last to be dropped off and the first to be picked up. Remember that when making your return flight as you will have to leave the resort approximately 3 hours before your flight leaves. And since we didn't want to leave at all, it made it that much more difficult. :( But Hector brought us our last drinks as the transportation arrived and they all said goodbye and "see you next time!" We really hope there will be a next time as it was a most wonderful vacation.

So, thank you, Sivory Punta Cana, for making our 10th anniversary trip extra special. We hope to return there and make more memories at your beautiful resort.

Room Tip: It seemed as though most rooms had at least a view of the ocean. Our room was #62 which was super co...
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple

Been to Sivory Punta Cana Boutique Hotel? Share your experiences!