“Lovely romantic getaway” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Sivory Punta Cana Boutique Hotel

You added Sivory Punta Cana Boutique Hotel to your Saves list
Sivory Punta Cana Boutique Hotel
5.0 of 5 Hotel   |   Uvero Alto Road | Playa Sivory, Punta Cana, Dominican Republic   |
Ranked #53 of 98 Hotels in Punta Cana
South Boston, Massachusetts, United States
“Lovely romantic getaway”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 17, 2013

I visited Sivory for 4 days in late May and had a very relaxing time. It looks just like what you would think of when imagining tropical paradise! The resort is very small and there were no activities happening right on the premises. For some this would be a negative, but it was exactly what my boyfriend and I were looking for. We never had to fight for a seat by the pool or wait for a drink at the poolside bar. If you are seeking quiet and romance - this is a great choice. As others have said, the resort was not very full when we visited (maybe 1/3 occupied). Personally, I found that to be a positive.

The food was not great, which I think is typical for hotels in this area. There was enough that was fine, but it wasn't amazing. I would recommend skipping the gourmet restaurant, which I did not enjoy at all. It features a lot of rather "foodie" dishes, including those with flavored foams and gels. The Asian restaurant was tasty and we would have gone more if we had realized it earlier.

The rooms here are very nice. The bathroom is big and modern. All the linens and fabrics felt clean and well cared for. Overall the room was huge and a big plus to the experience. I was surprised it was as nice as it was for the price point.

Also, the service overall was very friendly and personable. We didn't bring much cash, so we actually didn't tip anyone until the end. Nonetheless, we felt we received excellent service.

The resort has both all-inclusive and pay-as-you-go options. We never ate much at lunch and found that the number of drinks on our tab was always much less than we actually drank, so for us the pay-as-you-go was definitely cheaper.

I also have to speak highly of the pool design. I am not a big swimmer, but I like being able to cool off. A huge section of this pool was shallow enough to sit and lounge, which was awesome. I've never spent so much time in a pool at any other resort. The shallow water also kept the water from being too cold. One note: when we were there it seemed like the tiles of the pool were in need of repair. On high-use areas several were missing and/or loose. It has been a few months, so I hope they have already repaired this.

Travel note:
The hotel is one of the farthest from the Punta Cana airport - about an hour by taxi. It cost us $80 for a taxi each way in USD, so make sure you have plenty of cash with you. Additionally, there is a $10 charge per person to get into the country at the airport. We were really underprepared and had to have the hotel front us some cash. Once you are at the resort, everything other than tips can go onto your room bill, so little cash is needed during your stay unless you want to leave the resort.

Room Tip: All the rooms are suites, so it's just a matter of your view and whether you pay for a private p...
  • Stayed May 2012, traveled as a couple
Jose M, General Manager at Sivory Punta Cana Boutique Hotel, responded to this review, February 8, 2013
Dear EmilyW:

Thank you for choosing Sivory for you vacation, it was an honor to host you at our small retreat.

We are so glad that you specially enjoyed the sense of tranquility and relaxation we provide at the hotel. Most of our guests are looking to leave behind for a while the hectic live they have in a big city. It is good to take a break and dedicate time to the beloved ones and oneself.

Please feel sure that the comments you have made are also taken into consideration and improvements made where needed. Feedback is really important for us, and really appreciate when guests give us more information about their experiences.

We look foward to host you here again soon.

Kind regards

JM

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (154)
  • Polish first
Oakville, Canada
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 15, 2013

My husband and I visited for 5 days in December 2012. We purchased our stay on an online auction site, and ate "a la carte" rather than opting for the extra $150 pp per night for the all-inclusive plan. I will mention a bit about finances as I had been curious about the cost of the food before we went, but couldn't find too much info. We ended up spending about $600 on food/drinks for the stay. This is probably less (possibly a lot less) than most people would end up paying, as we are light eaters and often opted for room service or the pool bar (before it closed at 6pm) for an evening meal. Typical entrees at the restaurants run from 20-40 dollars. The BluBar by the pool is great and has less expensive snacks and meals for 10-20 dollars or so. The pastries, coffee and juice delivered to the room in the morning were lovely, and we enjoyed having them outside on our patio area with a partial view of the ocean (though it was a standard junior room).
The hotel is quiet and far from the crowded beaches of the typical Punta Cana resorts. The rooms are gorgeous and spacious. The only issues we came across were musty/mildewy pillows (which were promptly changed when we asked) and the occasional bee that somehow found its way into our bathroom. Service is great, and we appreciated two calls from the front desk throughout our stay to enquire if we needed anything.
We both used the spa for massages, which were lovely. The pools and exercise room at the spa were also great, though few people appear to take advantage of them.
Overall, it was a nice, relaxing stay, and we would visit again. Personal preference might cause us to lean towards a less expensive all-inclusive with a buffet for my husband's "particular" tastes, but this was certainly a treat and a great vacation. If I were to book again, I might purchase their "Once in a LIfetime" rate, which includes the all-inclusive plan at a nice discount. Thanks to all the wonderful staff for your hospitality!

Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
Teaneck, New Jersey
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 15, 2013

A great experience and a real hotel boutique. I spent the New years holiday at the Sivory and I'm just waiting for a long weekend in order to return to that romantic and quiet hotel. The service and location is super and the food is excelleeeeeeeeeentt!!!

• Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
Jose M, Manager at Sivory Punta Cana Boutique Hotel, responded to this review, February 8, 2013
Dear Titan2009:

Thank you for choosing Sivory for spending your vacation during such special time of the year. We appreciate the time you took for sharing your experience with the travel community.

We also look forward to receive you again at our hidden spot.

Please feel free to contact us anytime you think about coming back. Here our usual numbers 1-1-809-333-0500 or US toll free 1-855-Sivory 0 (1-855-748-6790) or write to us to reservations@sivorypuntacana.com

Ashburn, Virginia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 7, 2013

First day back at work today after having spent the New Years holiday at The Sivory Punta Cana. You can only imagine how much I am thinking about being on the private beach with a drink!

Summary: The Sivory is the place for you to go in Punta Cana if you are looking for relaxation, romance and quiet. If you are someone looking for activities and big drinking..probably not the place for you. You really are isolated and taxis cost a fortune in Dominican republic. The perfect week for people looking to recharge their batteries and eliminate their stresses.

Detail: After almost an hour transport from the airport (the Sivory IS the end of the road), there is definitely a sense of relief at seeing the sign for the resort. I highly recommend utilizing Dominican Airport Transfers for your travel. Round trip private will run you ~$150, but not stopping at all the other resorts is a big advantage.

Once you arrive at the Sivory, you are greeted by the concierge (in our case Alex and Monica) with a glass of champagne and a towel to refresh yourself. A complete overview of the resort is followed by a guided tour of the facility with the concierge. The hotel was beautiful. We were looking for a quiet getaway and this fit the bill. It reminded us of Gilligan's Island!

When we got to our room, a luxury oceanfront junior suite, we were thrilled with the amenities. A king size bed looking directly out at the ocean through a wall of glass(door). The room had ample living area, a double head shower and a large tub for those late evening candlelight soaks. As we were celebrating our anniversary, a bottle of champagne was there to greet us as well. A nice touch! Walking through the glass door, there was a wood patio with several lounge chairs and tables surrounding our private plunge pool. The pool was easily 8ft x 10 ft. A sandy path led directly to the private beach..less than 30 yards ahead. One huge plus for the resort and rooms was the internet connectivity. Best we have ever seen in a hotel for free. Very fast, always on...a nice plus. If I had to be critical...if someone forced me...I would say it would be great to have screens on the glass door. The breeze from the ocean would have been great without having to worry about bugs.

The food at the Sivory was excellent. There are three restaurants on location and each has there own special flare. Le Gourmand, billed as the only AAA four diamond restaurant in Punta Cana, was our favorite food for dinner. The wine selection covers the gamut as well. its easy to spend a lot on wine if you would like, but not necessary if you don't. We found several very reasonably priced wines that were excellent. Tau, an Asian fusion restaurant was a little dark in lighting for us, but the Thai soup was worth it. Our waiter was right on when he told us it would fix any hangover! I was also pleased to find they had sake and sushi. The final restaurant La Verranda served as the hub for all meals. As the only location for breakfast, it was also a social hub for the guests. I had a craving one day while at La Verranda for some Italian food...sure enough it was there on the menu. I was amazed at how well the pasta was prepared and thats when I was informed the chef was from Italy and had been trained on the Almalfi coast. It was just fantastic.

After dinners, the guests seemed to all meet at the evening bar. Well appointed with scotch and after dinner drinks as well as cigars for those looking for a smoke. There was also a billiards table for use.

The staff at the Sivory were very helpful. My wife and I don't speak Spanish very well, so we found ourselves laughing with the staff often as we tried to explain something to them and they tried to explain back without words. Their efforts were always appreciated. The guys at the pool were very well trained at making sure you have what you need without becoming a pest to the guests. Hector especially treated my wife and I like gold and it really made our experience special.

The pool was spotless and had a middle area where kids could play in less than a foot of water. There are also two built in recliners in the pool. No in the water bar...which we considered a good thing. Remember, the Sivory is about relaxation! Most people seemed to start their days at the beach and end up finishing up at the pool. Very quiet with a great breeze from the ocean.

The beach was private and had staff at both ends to ensure it stayed that way. Plenty of chairs on the beach and drinks were brought right to you by the staff. The water was clear, and just rough enough to be fun without having to worry about being pulled out to sea. Take the advice of the staff and make sure you put on some type of lotion, although it is not hot, the sun was very strong.

I guess I really can't say enough about the Sivory(although I kinda have with this review, lol). Wonderful people, wonderful food and drink, wonderful room. Wonderful experience. Sivory, we will be back.

Rob and Jen

Room Tip: if you aren't someone that anticipates using the plunge pool, the premium oceanfront suite is cl...
Dear Rob and Jen:

I read over and over your so nice and touching comments, and just make us feel more proud of working here.

We are realy glad to see that you enjoyed your days with us, and really appreciate the time you have taken to share in a very precise way the details about your stay with the travel community.

We look forward to receive you again soon in our little caribbean spot.

Atlanta
1 of 5 stars Reviewed December 28, 2012

When booking a 4 star resort, one would think you would have at least some kind of star experience. My husband and I booked 6 nights here, oceanfront, and quickly left after the first night. Upon arrival, with a confirmed reservation for an oceanfront room, we were told none were availble and to appease we were appropriately upgraded to a honeymoon suite for compensation. That by the way is second row back and with very limited ocean views.

What we really received, even though having the full package of full service meals, was an inedible meal at the premier restaurant , a complimentary wine cooler in our suite that was not even plugged in to have chilled beverages and even if tempted to open a tempid wine, did not have a cork screw availble anywhere in site to open a bottle. Calling for a corkscrew took well over an hr for delivery in a nonpeak time.

So, certainly a hot bath would cure all the ills thus far. Upon trying to accomplish this simple amenity, the water was at best tempid, like the wine.

We gave up and cancelled our stay on the first night. At prices like this, we know we can receive better accommodations just about anywhere so our advice is, please do not waste your money or your efforts to come to this very subpar "resort" that has nothing to offer. From the beaches to the musty smelling "honeyroom suite" you'd be better off to stay at home. Take this advice coming from savvy travelers who enjoy sampling lifes great pleasures on all levels. I only write this in hopes that you won't waste your precious vacation time as we have done.

Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
Jose M, General Manager at Sivory Punta Cana Boutique Hotel, responded to this review, December 29, 2012
Dear MABPHD:

Thanks for your kind note, and I would like to make some remarks, so the travelers reading this post can also hear our version:

1. You arrived yesterday to our hoteland are leaving today, but you are still in the hotel.
2. Upon checkin you were given a complimentary upgrade to our honeymoon suite (valued in almost 250 dollars/night), a nice oceanview suite that is double the size of the one you originally booked, with a separate living room area, jacuzzi in the balcony and outdoor shower.
3. Occasionaly we choose random arriving guests and provide them a complimentary upgrade, the upgrade given was NOT a compensation, was a courtesy.
4. We can understand you may have wanted not to receive the upgrade and just wanted the room you originally booked (Premium Jr Suite), so we were preparing for today a Premium Jr. suite, but you came to front desk last night informing us that you had already changed your flights and were going to leave today at noon.

We always strive to provide a unique experience, oftenly having great results and great feedback from our guests. However we respect your opinion and thank you for taking the time to share it with the travel community.

Please feel free to contact me at front desk.

Kid Regards,

NYC
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 25, 2012

When my wife & I return to the Sivory each year we are nurtured and pampered by the staff in exactly the way we want.. Just the right balance between respecting the privacey we desire yet ensuring that our every need is addressed if not anticipated.

Instantly, we are able to leave our demanding life back home and transformed into the laid back island pace of the Sivory where the sound of the surf and the warmth of the sun is all-embracing.

No hordes of people to disturb your special moments, no worries about finding the perfect spot on the beach to relax nor the need to think about dinner reservations or whether you can arrange for a massage & spa treatment. Come when & as you like ((causal or dressey depending on your mood) and if you desire something special just ask for it.

The Sivory is not the place for action, nite life entertainment or the polish of a high end NYC hotel or restaurant. But if you are looking for Carribean island charm, beautiful & spacious living quarters with a natural ocean & beach paradise setting where your every desire will be catered to then the Sivory is the right place for you.

Tell them the guest with the lobsters sent you & you will be guaranteed a delightful stay......

Room Tip: We much prefer the upper level suites rather than the ground floor suites.
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
Jose M, General Manager at Sivory Punta Cana Boutique Hotel, responded to this review, December 26, 2012
Dear mrjoelvb:

Greetings from Sivory Punta Cana. Thank you for choosing Sivory Punta Cana, and many thanks for your loyalty to our hotel!!!

It is so rewarding to see we have loyal guests who continue coming to our hotel every year. We feel very flattered by your comments.

We hope to see you soon again at our hidden spot. Please feel free to contact me directly whenever you are thinking on visiting us again or when any of your relaives of friends are visiting us. My direct email is jmella@sivorypuntacana.com. I will be happy to assist you.

We wish you happy holidays and a very succesful and blessed 2013!

Thiells, New York
1 of 5 stars Reviewed December 11, 2012

I just recently came back with five of my friends and this was definitely not the hotel for us. As soon as the front desk saw us come in, they were not happy. It was extremely expensive. The food was not that great. The beach was awful. The next day we left to another hotel. I would not recommend this hotel to anyone.

Room Tip: Do not go to this hotel if want to have fun with your girlfriends!
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled with friends
Dear Amrv26:

Greetings from Sivory Punta Cana. Many thanks for choosing your hotel for your vacation and also thanks for taking the time to make a review about our hotel.

I regret reading that you didn’t like our hotel and you spent a bad time with us. However, please allow me to provide my comments:

I am deeply sorry for the inconvenience you had related to the purchase of your vacation at Sivory on RLL. For what I was informed, you arrived to our hotel under the impression of having purchased a vacation that included our All-inclusive supplement and also that you were going to stay at a hotel where fun and action-oriented activities were in the top of the list. Having that in mind, we understand it might have been frustrating discovering that you arrived to a relax sanctuary and that the package you purchased was a room-only plan.

All of our packages sold at RLL are always designed and sold under a Room-only basis and including breakfast, and are clearly defined in all our promotional materials. We’ve been working with this booking channel for quite a long time and consistently having great results, and very good outcome from the buyers. Also, we promote the hotel as a relax paradise, not a fun, active hotel, and that doesn’t mean this is a bad hotel.

Actually, the quiet slow paced environment is one of our strengths, naturally for those looking for this characteristic. We are really sorry if the information maybe wasn’t delivered in a clear manner to you or maybe assumed in a different way at the time of the purchase, our biggest reward in this business is to see happy guests departing back home excited for just having finished a great vacation.

When you decided to go to another hotel the next morning of your arrival, you expressed to several of our associates that you found a fun all-inclusive property, and you were going to spend part of your vacation there. You said at front desk that you were going to another hotel, while leaving your reservation open at Sivory, and that you would come back to Sivory to enjoy the last night of your reservation.

I sent you 12 days ago an email in order to receive your direct feedback because although I understand that you and your friends were not happy with the hotel prices, and also with the unfortunate fact that you purchased a package having other expectations, I’d like to understand the part of your post where you mention that our staff were not happy as soon as they saw you and your friends coming in, or where you rate our service as 1 out of 5. Personally I went out to the lobby a couple of times during your check-in and saw some of my staff having a nice friendly conversation with you and your friends: smiles, stories, a really nice chat and, for what I could see it was a mutual distressed conversation. So, despite the bad moment you were having, we tried not to make it more stressful for you.

The discomfort these situations may have caused is understandable, and we regret our hotel did not meet your expectations, but unfortunately in this case the two main reasons for your dissatisfaction were not our responsibility. Having that in mind, although we respect guest’s right to express its opinion, we believe this not a just way of rating the Sivory experience.

I am very much looking forward to hear from you soon and exchange ideas about my comments above and the details about your stay. Please feel free to reply to me anytime at jmella@sivorypuntacana.com or to our USA toll free number 1-855-Sivory0 (1-855- 748-6790)