“Nice and quiet” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Sivory Punta Cana Boutique Hotel

Save Saved
You added Sivory Punta Cana Boutique Hotel to your Saves list
Sivory Punta Cana Boutique Hotel
5.0 of 5 Hotel   |   Uvero Alto Road | Playa Sivory, Punta Cana, Dominican Republic   |
Ranked #36 of 100 Hotels in Punta Cana
Salt Lake City
“Nice and quiet”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 19, 2012

Spent a week in December before the holidays at Sivory. Had a wonderful time. Only about 15 of 55 rooms were filled so we had the place to ourselves in many ways. The rooms were great, the morning breakfast service (brought to your door before you awake) fantastic and the grounds lush and a joy to walk through.

The pool was our focal spot, water a little cool but don't expect heating in the tropics. The pool bar workers became our friends and with a daily tip, reserved us prime lounge chairs and brought us whatever we wanted and sometimes a surprise.

The food was great, even took in a cooking class with an amazingly experienced chef for such a small place. My only regret with the food was that they didn't have a few more dishes for the days you were in the mood for something you might get at home. But it was very creative in keeping with the level of chef(s) they had.

Until the last day, not a child or even teen in sight, and then it was filling up for the holidays. It is so remote - we didn't go anywhere - they discourage children for fear of their getting bored. As such it was so peaceful, not sure we've ever stayed at such a quiet place. And that was exactly what we wanted.

Would happily go back!

• Stayed December 2011, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (105)
  • Polish first
newjersey
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 3, 2012

We just returned from Sivory.It is one of the most beautiful settings we've ever seen The beach goes on forever with palm trees providing all the shade anyone would need. There are plenty of chairs with wonderful servers providing refreshments without a move on your part.The room we had was beachfront-just beautiful and kept immaculate.Food was great and Chef Giovanni will make off the menu if he has the ingredients.The best part was the staff-they were so wonderful-each and everyone of them. By the 2nd day it was like a rerun of Cheers-everyone knew our name and couldn't do enough for us -all with a genuine smile.What a great vacation-any questions feel free to ask. Would we go back? In a heartbeat. Thanks Sivory!!!

• Stayed January 2012, traveled as a couple
Lafayette, Indiana
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 26, 2011

My wife and I stayed here from 12/18-12/23/2011. This will be a long review with both pros and cons.
1. We had read several reviews about the long and harrowing ride from the airport. We were taken by Coco Tours on a prepaid roundtrip. They were very pleasant and efficient. We were driven in a late model Hyundai H1 air conditioned minivan on well paved roads. The drive takes 45 minutes to 1 hour. The "worst" part is the last 10 minutes and is no worse than many county roads in the midwest and MUCH better than roads I've driven in the islands.
2. The staff at the front desk speaks quite good english and are friendly, helpful and professional.
3. The entire staff from cleaning crew, bartenders, wait staff were as friendly, helpful and pleasant as at any hotel, restaurant, resort that we have experienced. We have been fortunate enough to have stayed at many excellent hotels and resorts in the U.S. and elsewhere so have a broad experience on which to draw.
4.We had booked a premium jr suite and were upgraded to a luxury jr suite. It was absolutely first class. We had a plunge pool, nice private patio and were right on the beach. The room was elegant, scrupulously clean and maintained during our stay. The only insects we saw were 2 wasps trying to build a nest under the faucet handle for the outdoor patio shower which I promptly dispatched to wasp heaven with the can of RAID supplied in the closet. You are provided with slippers, robe which were clean and fresh. Bath towels were resupplied as much as needed daily. The water is hot and plentiful.
5.There is a nice private beach which the crew cleans every morning
6.There is a large pool which was very clean.
7.You never have to fight for lounging chairs at the pool or the beach at this resort.
8. There is subtle backround music in the bars and restaurants( so the blaring music that we have found elsewhere is absent)
9. We toured the spa but did not use the facility. It looked clean and well maintained.
10.A breakfast tray including fresh juice, excellent strong coffee and fresh rolls is placed outside the room every morning.
11. An excellent breakfast selection is available at LaVeranda each morning.
12. We opted for the inclusive meal plan. This adds $150/day/person to the bill. Because we don't eat enormous amounts of food or consume enormous amounts of alcohol, it may have been an aditional $20-30/day of additional expense. Food in the carribean is expensive. Alcohol is expensive. Much of the needed ingredients are shipped in. Corruption is rampant and all this adds to the bottom line. you are eating with silverware, on china and linen table cloths. This is expensive to maintain.
13. The grounds are naturalized and beautifully maintained
14. We ate dinner at Tau twice, Gourmand once and LaVeranda once. The appetizers at all 3 range from very good to spectacular. The caprese salad at Gourmand is really amazing.
The desserts are uniformly outstanding in originality and presentation. The main courses are good, but are the weakest part of the menu at all the venues. The tastes are good, the amount is too much for us and the presentation needs work to meet the 4-5 star standard to which they aspire.
15.There were many shrimp entrees on the menu, but no shrimp available during our entire stay.
16.Service is generally relaxed(slow). Dinner will take 2-2.5 hrs. There is nothing else to do here anyway.
17. I am a fair weather cigar smoker and brought my own supply. The bars have a nice selection of excellent cigars. I did not check the prices. The weirdest thing that I found was that at a 5 star resort in the Dominican Republic (1 of the cigar capitals of the world) there were no matches or lighters to be had for purchase or to be borrowed from the staff.
18. If you opt for the inclusive food plan and you like wine, your selections will be extremely limited. No french, american, australian wines are on the list. The only italian wine included is Riunite lambrusco. You will be limited to 1 argentinian white, 5 or 6 argentinian, chilean or spanish reds and 1 argentinian cava. These are drinkable but low level table wines. A number of other wines are available for a significant mark up.
19. Alcohol was included in our plan and the drink menu includes several cognacs(disappeared after I had 1 the first night. Several Dominican rums, Presidente beer is available. Unlike other high end all-inclusives we have been to, no alcohol is on display, so the availability is (I believe) subjective.
20. The temperature was a comfortable 82 F daily with occasional showers. But the wind was constant and horrendous (25-30mph all day and all night for 5 days.) I know that you can't control the weather, but if this is characteristic of the area this time of year you may want reconsider your choice. This rendered the beach unuseable and even made the pool area uncomfortable.
21. This is a very small and quiet place (55 rooms) only 30-40% full during our stay. There is no entertainment, casino, etc. If you need activity or entertainment, go elsewhere. If you desire a place to decompress and relax consider Sivory

Room Tip: we stayed in room 51...excellent choice
  • Stayed December 2011, traveled as a couple
2 of 5 stars Reviewed December 21, 2011 via mobile

The hotel claims to be a 4 star establishment but does not live up to it. The rooms are well appointed and the view from the room is nice but they need some attention. The bathroom shower is very rusted and the curtains are scew. The rooms are not cleaned properly...there was always soap scum on the shower doors. Moreover, the bathroom toiletries were never replaced and the bathrobes had a very sour smell. The worst part of the hotel is that the food was really bad. The hotel is situated on a secluded beach and there were not many options for dining around the hotel. The food was tastless and there was a serious lack of variety. I will definitely not be returning.

• Stayed December 2011
Akron, Ohio
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 28, 2011

My husband and I took our honeymoon at the Sivory as part of a Thanksgiving trip. The first 5 days were spent here, then we moved to a large mega all-inclusive with my family for the remainder of our trip. The Sivory is a small boutique hotel, so do not go here expecting to be entertained by shows, activities, multiple pools, huge buffets, dancing, etc. It is a wonderful place for relaxing by the pool, reading your book and drinking delicious food. The service is wonderful - everyone is always nice and happy to help with a smile. This is normally a pretty pricy place, but we got a deal since it was low-season. I don't think we could've/would've stayed here without the promotion.

Food: They have an optional all-inclusive plan, called the Sivory plan. We had the all-inclusive as part of a special promotion they were doing. If we had done the a la carte European Plan, I think we would've had some sticker shock at our bill for sure. They have three restaurants. Since it is small, the menus are not huge, and sometimes they were out of certain items. This didn't bother me - we found plenty of different things to try and had our favorites by the end of our stay. Service can take a while, but they don't have a huge kitchen with 50 people cooking. There's no point in being in a rush about anything if you're staying here! It's laid-back.

Beach/Pool: There is one pool that is very nice. The poolside service is really good, but also might take awhile. There were always plenty of chairs available, but I think they only had like, 30% occupancy when we were there. The beach is lovely with little thatched huts and lots of chairs. Compared to the huge resort we moved to, there was so much space - you're not on top of everyone else, which is really nice. However, the ocean was pretty rough when we were there and you can't go snorkeling or anything. It is not the calm turquoise water you find elsewhere. We waded in and that's about it.

Rooms: Sizable, with a king-size bed, sitting room, jet tub, dual shower, patio with chaises. Very modern, non-cheesy decor. Housekeeping was good.

Spa: we had a spa credit and used it towards 2 30-minute massages. They were fine, but not the best we've ever had. I'm glad we had the credit so it didn't cost us that much. The spa has a cool-looking pool with bubbles, jets, fountains and water features, but most of them didn't appear to be working when we were there. Too bad - hopefully they are repairing it.

Service - everyone was very nice and cheerful. No surliness or attitude like we experienced at the second resort.

Location: It is basically the very last resort at the end of Punta Cana. Beyond it is protected land and it can't be developed. It took a long time to get anywhere from here. We arranged private transportation online for less than the hotel offers it.

Activities: There was a manager's reception with live music that was very nice. We wanted to take the free cooking class but we were so relaxed we forgot about it. We also forgot about the afternoon tea. That's it for activities here. We did take a speedboat/snorkeling excursion which was scary, got partially rained out, and was not that fun (but that's not the Sivory's fault).

• Stayed November 2011, traveled as a couple
Jose M, General Manager at Sivory Punta Cana Boutique Hotel, responded to this review, November 29, 2011
Dear Guests:

Thank you for choosing SIvory Punta Cana for your honeymoon/thanksgiving vacation.

as well, Thank your for your review, fedback is really important, and good feedback is very motivating and flattering.

Of ocurse is also very very useful for us the constructive feedback, and be sure that we are working on the areas of opportunity you have mentioned.

Once again, thank you for allowing us to take care of you during yoru vacation, also thanks for sharing your experience with the travel community, and hope to see you soon at Sivory.

Congratulations on your marriage, we wish you all the best and a happy ife together!!!

JM
New York City, New York
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 16, 2011

It's two months since I actually stayed at the Sivory and I have guilt for not rewarding them with an excellent review.Which they surely earned it.
When it comes to location, food and service I only wish I could find a Sivory in every country I visit.
Before I jump into this I want to highly recommend their meal plan. We did this after we got there and you will never look at the right side of the menu and just enjoy a vacation as it ought be. This meal plan includes 24 hour room service and almost all alcohols and many wines from a cellar that includes 2500 bottles. Just do it and you will be glad you did.

Location: You are at a very private secluded beach. It will take you 45 minutes from the Punta Cana Airport or they can provide a private helicopter that will take you directly to their own beach. Either way they will greet you with a glass of champagne and a cool towel to wipe your face with while you check in. The Sivory is remote and secluded, so if you are looking for a town to shop or a golf course this is not your place. If you really need a break from the pace of life then this is your place. If you need to be entertained this may not be your place either. What it has: wonderful beach, lush rooms, privacy, quiet, great restaurants and fantastic service.
Service: Service that will leave wanting to come back again. Service always brings you back while to me bad service can never make another element standout. A quick story, my first day I had the greatest bartender. With a glance at him from across the pool he came over with a new refill to my pina colada made with Dominican special dark rum. Wow I thought, never happens in the city in one of those fancy restaurant bars. The next day's bartender took it to the next level, with a drink on a tray he anticipated I needed one while I was sunning myself in the pool. Another bartender, Papatico would wait for me to approach the beach and hold his hands up and say what can I get you. I would give him a time and he would bring out coctails when it hit high noon.SERVICE here all in capital letters.
The restaurants are the same way, I almost felt like I was family visiting. We had a waiter Zabian who I would put against any waiter in any Manhattan restaurant, even Craft or Grammecy Tavern. He was fluent in 4 languages and his techniques towards making your meal as enjoyable as possible were notable. I could go on and on and drop names but service is something that is job 1 here throughout this property.
The resort general manager Desmond will not be happy till you are. He will not casually find you. He will search you out to ensure that your stay is better than perfect. I don't know if he is the resort gm or the restaurants but to me it was as if he was the owner.
Food: The chef here is a former chef from one of Mario Battali's NY restaurants. He over see's every detail down to the room service menu.There are 3 restaurants a lobby bar and a tiki shack all serving food and they are all spot on. I think I tried just about everything but I do say their paella , cerviche and 4 coconuts desert are notable. Upon our arrival at our first meal he came over to tell us that if we have any special needs or requests to let him know.
One recommendation: they provide a beach dinner where you are surrounded by torches and servers. It is almost like you are in a movie, surreal. Not a clambake but a meal from their menu items or something that you can dream up.
Bottomline: everyone on the same page with first class food and service.
I cannot emphasize anymore how special this place is. Will we be back, most definitely.
Another note, this was our first vacation without kids as a week before we dropped off our son to college, no kids at this resort. After doing Disney for years, we needed to switch gears.

Room Tip: All rooms are beutifully appointed and located on this beautiful property. No need to upgrade to a O...
  • Stayed September 2011, traveled with friends
Suwanee
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 14, 2011

My wife and I celebrated our 15th anniversary at Sivory and we had a wonderfule time! The entire staff is gracious and sincere. From Emmanuelle, Franciso, Victor & Arianna at the front desk to Arnaldo in the lobby bar everyone was wonderful! The property is clean and elegant; the food delcicious; the setting ideal and relaxing. Director Jose does a first rate job of entertaining and informing. We will return! Thank you, Sivory!!

• Stayed November 2011, traveled as a couple

Been to Sivory Punta Cana Boutique Hotel? Share your experiences!