“Excellent” 5 of 5 stars

Save Saved
You added Ocean Blue & Sand to your Saves list
Prices are for rooms, adults
Ocean Blue & Sand
4.0 of 5 Resort (All-Inclusive)   |   Playa Arena Gorda, Punta Cana, Dominican Republic   |
Ranked #28 of 101 hotels in Punta Cana
“Excellent”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed yesterday NEW

This was my best vacation i enjoyed my stay. The hotel had excellent treatment I will commend this hotel to anyone . I would like to address this excellent vacation one of the best the decor department. I had the best treatment ever this dictation would be to the best hostess Samana of the department of decoration.

• Stayed July 2014

7,373 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (1,537)
  • Polish first
Boston, Massachusetts
5 of 5 stars Reviewed yesterday NEW

I stayed at Ocean Blue and Sand for a week with a friend and couldn't have been more content with choosing this resort. The staff definitely makes the trip. They are all so pleasant and made you feel at home! The lobby bartenders, especially Bienvenido and Martires were absolutely wonderful. Every time I was close to done with a drink, they already had another one ready for me! That's beyond great service. The entertainers were also incredibly nice and welcoming. Water aerobics with Juan was always a good time and dancing with Super Juan in the lobby was always a funny/good time. Cristian was wonderful. He was polite, funny and very welcoming! I know that he mentioned he was fairly new there, but I think hes a great asset to the place. Overall, the experience at this resort was beyond what I expected and I owe it to the staff for making it such an outstanding time! I definitely plan to head back to this resort at some point in the near future!

• Stayed August 2014, traveled with friends
5 of 5 stars Reviewed yesterday NEW

His work can be appreciated all around the hotel, all type's of decoration for all the shows and activities. Exelent work from samana all the time. He produces things such as the super bowl theme and any major event happening in North America, and any other celebration through out the year. If you happen to be go to ocean blue stop a moment to appreciate his work.

Stayed August 2014, traveled as a couple
Mississauga, Canada
3 of 5 stars Reviewed yesterday NEW

My family and I attended a wedding at the Ocean Blue and Sand Resort this August.

Wedding Ceremony
The wedding on the beach was beautiful except the beach gazebo is wedged in next to the rock climbing wall and the beach chairs. So basically, you get people in their bikinis at your wedding. It was also extremely hot and there is no shade so I was dripping with sweat long before they said "I do".

Wedding Reception
This was done nicely. The buffet dinner was good as well as the decoration of the room. The DJ played good music.

Spa
We emailed the Spa to make reservations for our large group. Although the ladies at the spa are wonderful and kind, they lack communication skills. I had asked them to make reservations for 11 ladies. 4 people asked to get manicures /pedicures, 5 people asked for the body polishes, 1 person had a facial, 2 people had massages. They let me know that they could do 3 manicures/pedicures at a time and it would take an hour max. This didn't turn out to be the case and there were people who spent hours (3 plus) getting their nails done. Everybody else enjoyed their time at the spa and would recommend it. I had emailed a number of times to ask if we could come a little early to use their Jacuzzi and if they would serve us champagne. I received no reply but when we arrived they had everything ready for us. They served us champagne and appetizers in the Jacuzzi and it was really nicely done. The only thing I can say is that if I had known they were able to accommodate my request of the champagne and appetizers, I would have let them know that we don't eat pork so that wouldn't have gone to waste.
The next day, we went back to the Spa to get our hair done for the wedding and they did a great job.

Privilege
I paid $800 for 2 people to upgrade to the privilege room. I did it mainly for the internet in the room. It was a huge waste of money. If you require internet for business purposes and expect to work a couple of hours a day while you are on vacation then this is not the resort for you. The internet connection is extremely poor and intermittent.

The privilege option also has turn down service where they bring you a paper with the next day’s activities. This only happened 2 of the 7 nights we were there.

Privilege also allows you to make reservations at restaurants. Half the time you don't get the time slot you want and the other half of the time they can't accommodate the number of people in your party in one sitting. If you tell them there are 6 of you, then they will tell you they can only accommodate 4 of you at the time you requested. Bucanero (Seafood) restaurant which has a surcharge of $40 per person is included if you upgrade to privilege. I love seafood, but was extremely disappointed with the service and quality of the food. I had better seafood at the buffet restaurant.

I did a walk in one night to the Italian restaurant which has really good food. It was pouring rain outside and the hostess told me and all the other groups waiting we couldn’t wait inside the restaurant and had to go over to the sports bar and she would come get people from there when their tables were available. The restaurant was 3 quarters empty. When you don’t have to pay, there is no urgency to either fill or turnover tables quickly and they don’t. We waited 20 minutes, got soaking wet going to the sports bar and coming back, ordered, ate and the restaurant was still empty when we left.

They advertise that the kids are entitled to a free gift. I asked for it upon check-in. It's a T-Shirt but they didn't have the right size available for my child the entire time I was there. I ended taking a bigger T-Shirt.

Now here is the kicker, 8 people in the group I was travelling with had reserved 4 rooms (2 per room). They were offered an upgrade to privilege for giving up 2 rooms for 1 one night because the resort was overbooked. So basically, they had to double up. No big deal because they had 2 double beds in each room. If I had known all I had to do was share with a friend for 1 night, I wouldn't have paid an extra $800 bucks for the privilege option.

The day before I was to leave, I called the folks at the privilege reception and asked for a late checkout. Checkout is at 12pm and my transfer to the airport was at 2:15pm. They advised me that I should call back the next day to see if it was available. Later on that same day I was talking to the folks in my party who received the free upgrade to privilege and they advised that they had already been given late checkouts for 2pm the next day. I went back to the reception and was told that my room had already been assigned to another guest arriving the next day so I would not be getting a 2pm late checkout. I guess rather than dealing with the request the first time I called since they obviously knew then that the room had already been re-assigned to another guest, they wanted me to wait till the next day to tell me I wouldn't be getting the late check-out.

Don't upgrade to privilege unless you enjoy paying for stuff that you never receive.

Rooms
When you travel with a large group you really get to see the different types of rooms available. All the rooms are basically the same as the pictures on the hotel website (tiled floors and blue rooms). The only different rooms are the ones for honeymoons and weddings (they are all white and some of them have two floors, some of them have Jacuzzis on the balcony).

The location of the room and the state of disrepair is the only real thing that sets the rooms apart. One person in our group checked into their room to find the AC not working and the safe door missing. They asked to be moved immediately to another room but since the hotel was fully booked they were told to come back the next day to see what could be done. The next day they were moved to a room on the first floor which at the time they were happy with because they have a stroller. Well it rained that night and they had a foot of water in their room. They ended up having to split up and share rooms with other folks in the group that 2nd night. They were never compensated for all the inconvenience.
The same night, I called the front desk to complain that water was leaking into my room from the ceiling, a few lightbulbs needed to be changed and the remote control for the TV wasn't working. They sent a maintenance man out at 11pm to fix the light bulb and I stupidly let him in to do it. I had to call 3 times to get the remote control fixed and they never did fix it.

If you are travelling with a large group do not expect that you will have rooms next to each other. I booked with a travel agency that only sells rooms on the ocean blue side of the resort but my room was on the ocean sand side of the resort far away from everybody else in my group so getting together at night was a real issue. If you have mobility issues this resort will be a problem as it is massive and most of the restaurants near the lobby side and the pool and beach are on the other side with the rooms in the middle. So if your room is in the middle of the resort expect to either wait 20 minutes for the tram, or spend 10 minutes walking to either the beach of the restaurants. If you are placed either close to the beach or the restaurants expect to walk 15 minutes. This isn't a problem except when it’s either really hot, pouring rain, or you have small children or people who walk slow in your group.

Pool and Beach
They are both nice but if you walk along the beach you will see that the beach at the resorts next to the Ocean Blue and Sand are nicer with better beach chairs etc.

Vendors and Timeshare Sales
I had read other reviews that these people were very aggressive but did not experience any of that personally.

This is a 3 star resort. If you go with that in mind then you will not be disappointed. It is not Atlantis; it is not Sandals or Beaches. Paying for the privilege upgrade will not make your experience on par with a 4 star resort.

Room Tip: The truth of the matter is you can't choose your room. You are assigned a room and will have a...
  • Stayed August 2014, traveled with family
Cleveland, Ohio, United States
3 of 5 stars Reviewed 2 days ago NEW

I traveled with a group of family and friends for a 30th birthday bash August 16-23. It was a great week to get away, relax and have some fun. The staff really made the trip memorable! Fast service, always smiling and entertaining. They work so hard! At the pool bar, Bernardo and Raphael were fantastic all week! Victor, Super Juan, Willie Wonka and Charlie Brown kept us laughing and engaged in activities. You also get to know them, which is fun to learn more about the culture. The food was OK and there was a lot of variety. There was always a wait for the restaurants as well, so plan to get there early and have a few drinks. Another downside of the food was that the restaurants and buffet did not have AC. It was super humid when we stayed, so it was hot pretty much anywhere you went. The best meals we had were the BBQ meals by the pool each afternoon. Our room was nice, but we were on the first floor, so it was pretty noisy. The beds are not very comfortable either. The property is well kept and pretty spread out, so there is some walking. The casino was small, but my mom enjoyed going. The lobby bar and disco were fun at night, as the staff usually got you out on the dance floor. Overall, I had a good experience without many complaints. I stayed at another H10 property in Riviera Maya, and I liked that hotel a little better. Once again, kudos to the staff! Each H10 stay I have had, the employee's really go above and beyond to make your experience the best.

Room Tip: Second floor for quieter stays!
  • Stayed August 2014, traveled with friends
Newark, New Jersey, United States
5 of 5 stars Reviewed 2 days ago NEW

Excellent vacation! The resort was very clean, buffet was great and the night time shows are great to see. Wifi always worked. The bartenders, employees and receptionists are very helpful. Juan Ramon, Mini Me, Super Juan were extremely polite. Employees made you feel at home. The music at night was great along with open bar in the lobby. Can't wait to go back again!!

• Stayed August 2014, traveled with family
GuestServiceOBS, Director de Relaciones Públicas at Ocean Blue & Sand, responded to this review, yesterday
Dear Nury T,

First of all, we would like to thank you for your preference in selecting our hotel Ocean Blue & Sand by H10 for your vacation and for sharing those comments in regards to your stay with us.

Once more, is been a pleasure to have you in our property. Juan Ramon, Mini Me and Super Juan will receive your regards and will be recognized for their good work. We would like to have the opportunity to welcome you again in our relaxing property so you can have another excellence time here with us.

Best regards,
3 of 5 stars Reviewed 2 days ago NEW via mobile

Stayed at OBS for 2 weeks August 2014.
At best a 3* resort. EVERY day, towels weren't replenished in the room, had to ring reception to ask for them - rarely did they turn up. Mention it to reception, still nothing.
Water not replaced in fridge on daily basis - again, ring reception, still waiting the next day.
When we finally managed to get hold of a concierge rep, 9 towels turned up the next day as did a crate of 24 bottles of water. Next day, no towels.
Restaurant service is appalling. Lack of staff, rarely get served a drink until you are 10mins into a meal.
Route 66 themed restaurant, waited over an hour to be served. System seems to be, if you are from UK, tough, you have to wait. If you are from US, you take priority.
Fantastic grounds and location, gardens are immaculate.
H10 management need to see how the likes of RIU and Grand Bahia operate and how they treat their customers.
H10 Premium staff (salesmen), hound you all day every day, trying to sell you an upgrade, wanting you to join a seminar and get a free t shirt and cant understand why you say no. Could it be that you are on holiday for a rest and to relax, not to be hounded all the time.
There are 2 pools on site, the noisy one and the quite one. The noisy one has the same continuous music blaring out every day, this is also where you will find groups of drunk Americans, shouting from 10am when the pool bar opens to when it closes at 6pm.
We followed a group of them to dinner the other evening. Whilst they were passing us on the trolley, they were taking it in turns to throw up as they were all so drunk. My kids were very impressed.
A thank you must be given to the girl that was on reception of the mexican restaurant on Thursday 28/8 evening and was at breakfast reception on Friday too. Her interaction with my kids, dancing and taking time out to talk to them was fantastic. If only other members of staff could follow her lead.
Overall, its a good resort and could be a lot better with some investment and customer care, focusing on the holiday maker and not just profit.
We wont be returning to an H10 hotel again, but we will return to Dom Rep.

Stayed August 2014, traveled with family
Dear Mike H,

First of all, we would like to thank you for choosing the Ocean Blue and Sand for your holidays and also for sharing your experience with us.

We would like to apologize for the inconveniences regarding the room service and a service in the restaurant; we will pass this information to the responsible department so they will work on it! Every complaint, compliment and suggestion will help us to raise standards, as well as review and improve our services and facilities.

Lastly, we would like to thank you for these constructive observations. In Ocean Blue and Sand we believe that it is only through listening carefully to the comments and suggestions of our customers, that we will be able to achieve the constant improvement, guest satisfaction and quality service that we strive for.

We hope you´ll give us another chance for your next visit to Punta Cana!

Kind Regards,
Prices are for rooms, adults

Been to Ocean Blue & Sand? Share your experiences!