“Perfect for the Price” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Ocean Blue & Sand

Save Saved
You added Ocean Blue & Sand to your Saves list
Ocean Blue & Sand
4.0 of 5 Resort (All-Inclusive)   |   Playa Arena Gorda, Punta Cana, Dominican Republic   |
Ranked #28 of 100 hotels in Punta Cana
Grand Rapids, Michigan
“Perfect for the Price”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 5, 2013

My boyfriend and I stayed at the Ocean Blue April 5-10 after booking a trip through Delta Vacations. Wanted to share some of the pros and cons of the trip below:

Pro:
- The facilities of the hotel are wonderful, the beach and pool were very well maintained and as beautiful as the pictures on the website. The room was clean and very large. This is exactly what I was looking for in a resort, and the Ocean Blue exceeded my expectations. We did not spend the extra money for privilege and did not feel like we missed out on anything.
- The staff was very helpful and the resort was well staffed to avoid long lines. Juan in the Mexican restaurant did a lot to make our dinner special The daily games at the beach and pool were corny, but fun and a good way to avoid just being lazy at the pool for a week.

Con:
- The food was of average quality, but there was always enough of it and we never got sick from anything we ate. The food options were often the same every day and even the food at the a la carte restaurant were the same as in the buffet, just plated differently.
- There were a couple nights where we were woken up during the night by very loud people either walking around outside or in the room next door. Thankfully it did not last all week, but that one night was a bit frustrating.

As far as advice goes I would recommend bringing your own large glass/mug as at the bars they give you a small plastic cup with no insulation and not much to drink. This causes a problem in some drinks where they add sugar as there is not enough liquid to dissolve the sugar and it starts to coat your teeth.

Overall it was a great vacation for the price, though next time we may consider staying somewhere a little higher end to compare what you can get with a higher cost.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple

7,135 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (1,472)
  • Polish first
San Antonio, Texas
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 4, 2013

I stayed here April 15-19 as part of a wedding party. I wasn't sure what to expect, as I had never stayed at an all-inclusive resort, and I am very loyal to my particular hotel chains when I travel. I was very pleasantly surprised how much I enjoyed my stay! The rooms were large and clean, the pools were great, and there was a large selections of different restaurants to eat at. Francisco at the swim-up bar was my favorite staff member that we interacted with - loved him and his silliness! I'd say overall the service was very good, although sometimes it was lacking at the buffet restaurants with regards to coffee service in the morning. The restaurants were okay, I thought that the Mexican restaurant and Dominican restaurant were the best that I tried. We got a great deal on our stay by being part of a large wedding party, so I think the value for the money we spent was excellent. I would definitely return to this resort in the future!

Room Tip: Privilege buildings/rooms are closer to the beach, but further away from the front desk and restaura...
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled with friends
Newtown, United Kingdom
2 of 5 stars Reviewed May 4, 2013

We have just arrived back from a wedding at this hotel. I have to say we thoroughly enjoyed ourselves but that was more down to the company than the surroundings. They made a bit of a hash of the wedding arrangements, but luckily it all went smoothly on the day! We paid £1400 each to share a large room between 3 of us. That room comprised of two Queen beds and a bed settee. The beds were ok but the sofabed was certainly not suitable for an adult for 14 nights. We managed to scrounge a second (very thin) mattress for the sofa bed and my friend just about managed although they alternated every now and then. The first room we were issued was the total opposite of what we had requested via e-mail from ourselves and Thomsons and was on the ground floor which posed a security risk. The overriding smell every time we entered the room was DAMP! After two nights we managed to get them to move us to another building and on the second floor - that was much better. I thought the food was very good in the general buffet restaurants and had plenty of choice. The specialist restaurants were very very disappointing except for the Italian (thankfully) which was the one selected for the Wedding Breakfast and that was superb. The two Thomson Reps were very keen on selling us as many trips as they could at the welcome meeting, which then backfired on them and us. Some of our party suffered stomach problems and couldn't make the (very expensive) trips, although to be fair some of them actually got a refund which was encouraging. The Santa Domingo Capital City trip was a complete waste of time and money. We had to leave the hotel at 6:30 am on a cranky old bus that smelt of diesel fumes and took 3 hours or so to get to the city, then of course another 3 hours back. I would not recommend that at all. The Outback Safari was great on big 4x4 trucks and we had a great laugh. The Sanoa trip was ok, but still overpriced. The best deals were the parasailing off a boat and the banana boat which could both be found on the resort beach. My two room mates went on a snorkelling trip, but it was very rough seas and there were only 2 guides looking after 30 or so snorkelers. The American & Canadians were tipping like crazy which just made the locals expect tips all the time, even thrusting a tip jar in my friends face. At that point she told him that she would definitely not be tipping! On several occasions we left a few dollars for our maid and a few dollars for our servers that we used regularly; we felt that was sufficient. The swim up pool bar crew were great, and there was a lot of activities going on at the other pool if you wanted to join in. There were 13 of us in a group so we made our own fun. The little 'Charabanc' that took us round the resort on a regular basis was very helpful indeed and in general the drivers were very courteous and helpful. One of them did seem to have a problem stopping when requested. All in all I enjoyed the holiday because we were with a good crowd but I wouldn't go there again. The whole resort was probably lovely when it was first built, but now just looks and feels tired. I have been to much better places for a lot less money, but c'est la vie!

Room Tip: Villa 5 or 9 - 2nd or 3rd floor. Ground floor in Villa 5 is extremely damp and smells horrible. Over...
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled with friends
Londonderry, New Hampshire
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 3, 2013

My family and I had a wonderful time at Ocean Blue April 22nd - 29th. The weather was perfect. This was my favorite all-inclusive resort that I have stayed at.
I especially liked the layout of the resort. All the restaurants except the beach restaurant are all up front in a village-like setting. The food and service were excellent and we had no trouble getting reservations at any of the a la carte restaurants. My husband and son were happy not to have to wear long pants to the restaurants at night as in many of the other resorts, casual and comfortable. There is also a sports bar that serves food all night, a bowling alley and game room, an open air theatre, casino and disco near the restaurants. We all loved Mike's coffee and pastry shop.
We were invited by Elvin, the Apple Concierge,(he deserves a raise), to a tour of the kitchen areas and then a complimentary meal at the chef's table. There were 15 of us and the food was some of the best I've tasted anywhere. The beef melted in your mouth.
The rooms are in colorful villas along both sides of the resort, from the restaurant area, past the pools to the beach, probably a 5-10 minute walk from the lobby to the beach. The rooms were spotless and cool with good AC and a ceiling fan. The housekeeping staff does a great job. The furniture needs a little updating but the beds are comfortable and each room has a nice balcony.
There are 2 huge clean pools with a large whirlpool in between. 1 has a swim-up bar and the other a swim-up and walk-up bar. The bartenders were great (try a Dori Monkey!). Just steps away from the 2nd pool is the beautiful beach with plenty of shade coverings and beach bar. The beach is a little eroded in places but there is miles of beach to walk on and the water is gorgeous. There were plenty of activities going on all day at the beach and pool but also quiet and relaxation if you wanted it.
The other thing that made Ocean Blue stand out is the wonderful staff. Everyone works so hard to make your stay enjoyable. The entertainment staff was great. They entertained you at the pool at the beach and at the theatre at night.
The last night we were treated to a special buffet at the beach from apple vacations. We had a great show and contests while we ate steak and lobster tail.
I need to mention Elvin again (don't forget his raise!). He was so friendly and helpful. He was always around to see if we needed anything and were having a fun time, as well as Romer the Apple Rep.
I love the Domican and would definitely recommend Ocean Blue Resort.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled with family
GuestServiceOBS, Guest Relations Manager at Ocean Blue & Sand, responded to this review, May 10, 2013
Thank You so much on behalf of Ocean Blue and Sand by H10 for your most wonderful review and for sharing with others you Amazing experience here with us, we are also glad that you have the chance to experience the chef table and have a dinner with him personally. We hope that you have really enjoy it and also found the staff of ocean blue and sand friendly as well. We will give your regards to all the staff especially the chef and Elvin as well on your behalf.

We most gladly will like to welcome you again,

Chapin, South Carolina
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 2, 2013

We were originally staying at the Vic Arena Blanca next door to this resort but things over there were awful so we transferred here...It was very nice, clean, huge rooms, excellent foods, beaches better than Cancun. Service not quite as good as Cancun. I'd go to learn the DR and broaden horizons of just how good you got it in the states. The DR people live very poorly on the outsides of the resorts.

Room Tip: There are no bad rooms here.
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
First of all, we will like to thank you so much for choosing our hotel Ocean Blue and Sand by H10 as your destination for your Holidays, we will love to have you once more so you can experience another marvellous and unforgettable time here with us again, thank you for sharing your experience with others through Trip Advisor.

We look forward to welcoming you to your home away from home.

Management.
Midland, Michigan
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 1, 2013

We went to Ocean Blue in January 2012 (a little late writing the review). We loved it. Our room was clean and had a great pool view. Very short walk to the ocean and even shorter to the restaurant area. The swim up bar was very convenient, Manuel was always funny and helpful. The food in the buffet was good, not great, but not terrible. I loved all the breads in the middle and my husband loved the omelet stations each morning. We tried the steakhouse which was good, and went to Route 66 twice and that was good as well. We went to the authentic Dominican restaurant and I would not recommend it. I had a massage on the beach which was heavenly, and a pedicure in the spa. The grounds are beautiful and very well kept. The evening shows were great, we liked the Michael Jackson one especially. The crew works very hard to entertain the guests. Check in and out was a breeze. We loved it and will definately be back.

Room Tip: Definately request a pool view so you don't get stuck looking at a service road. We had a room o...
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
On behalf of Ocean Blue and sand by H10 we are delighted to know that out of all the other amazing resort you found our property and country very enjoyable and that we have met your expectations. Is for us a pleasure to know that the employees were polity and kind to you and. we want to thank you so much for choosing us and for sharing your experience with the rest of the world.

We look forward to welcoming you again,

Powell, Ohio
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 30, 2013

This was our first time to the DR (4/19). We always went to Cancun or Riviera Maya. So glad we chose to go on recommendations of our travel agent. This was our 25th anniversary and we had a wonderful time. I'm the kind of person who always reads the reviews for everything and making myself sick and almost talking myself out of something because of them before even going. In my opinion, bad things happen sometime, which are out of our control. Other times it's just a matter of not being able to please everyone at any time. I'm especially talking about the foodie people who should never venture out of their own backyards and restaurants they go to as they will never be satisfied with any other type of food and the way it is prepared. My wife and I had a lot of time talking to the staff as well as the entertainment folks who work there. A lot of them work four months straight with four or five days off and then back at it again working from anywhere between 16-20 hours a day. They also had to compete with a lot of other people to get that position and the ones who didn't, we were told they are probably not eating now. That bit of information is for the people who say some don't seem friendly. You work that kind of schedule and then are expected to entertain people with a smile on your face 24/7.

As far as the food is concerned, I don't usually stray away from my usual menu; however, I tried everything. There was not one thing I didn't like. Even if I didn't care for something, I would just go back for something else. You figure you probably have one or two kitchens cooking non stop for upwards of 2-3k people at any given point. Come on people..this is not the Olive Garden or Ruth Chris steak house..These people are very hard working people and although they tend to be a little more laid back and on island time, they will go out of there way to help you. Coming into the DR airport, I was pulling off my wifes luggage and it got caught on the luggage belt and tore open the whole top of the suitcase. We were panicked and thought most of our money we took was going for luggage. We paid the extra for the priviledge suite and we got a lot of perks others didn't including our own gentleman named Henri who was always there when we needed him. I asked the front desk person if they had someone to fix luggage and she said they didn't. I then took a shot at asking Henri. He said no problem he had someone who stayed there at the resort. I gave it to him and in the same day, he brought it back better than new and wanted nothing for it. He also made all of our reservations for us and was there to drive us around when we had just had enough sun or food and really lazy. I also want to give a very big shout out to the best entertainment staff ever. Willy Wonka (my second son from another mother), Mini-me and Franklin. I know I have left off a bunch of bartenders as well. They made us laugh so hard and do things we would probably have just sat through instead of getting involved.

Can't say enough about the choice of restaurants. There are only a couple you have to make reservations at and wear long pants. The only complaint I would have about any of the restaurants would be the Italian which is one you have to have a reservation for. My wife had the shrimp linguini and I had the lasagna. They never took the tails off the shrimp and the cheese on the lasagna was kind of like the cheese you get out of a machine for chips. That would be the only issue. The seafood by the beach was amazing. Best I have had in a long time. We stayed in Villa #10 3rd floor (no elevator) which faces the pool and was right next to the beach, the place where you get your towels, shopping on the beach and the priviledge dining area. It was farther away from lobby and restaurants but we didn't mind. We welcomed walking to burn off calories and plus the nights are very beautiful. My only recommendation would be to have a beach party with dancing or a movie every night. We had an great time dancing and watching the fire show on the beach but only happened one night of our stay. We are to old to stay up so late to go to a disco full of kids or bowling so not a lot of night life. The weather was excellent the whole time even though it called for showers the entire time. If it does rain, it is only for a few minutes then burns off. I can't remember seeing more than one bug when we were there and it wasn't even in our room. The maintenance staff there are hustling all the time. It is one of the cleanest places I have ever been too. We bundled some school supplies for the made and made sure we tipped her all the time. We were taken care of the whole time we were there. A little goes a mile with these folks. Some things you have to watch for and it would be the European ladies who like to sunbath topless around the pools. I of course was shocked but didn't bother me but I thought it should have been limited to the beach or an adults only resort. The other would be the National drink of Mamajuana. It will take your breath away and also be your favorite drink by vacation end. I brought back a bottle for myself. Overall, it was the best vacation we have had in a long time and told them we would be back with our boys next time.

Room Tip: We stayed in Villa 10 which in my opinion was the best but some like the middle to be close to both...
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple
We would like to take this opportunity to really thank you so much for choosing our hotel Ocean Blue and Sand by H10. We are very glad that you choose Dominican Republic as your holiday’s destination for the first time we are also happy that you have found great variety of thing to do. We are also pleased to know that you found that the workers were helpful and polite. We want to thank you for your time to share with others what a great time you had here with us.

We will be more than glad to welcoming you again here with your family and friends at Ocean Blue and Sand.

Best regards

Management

Been to Ocean Blue & Sand? Share your experiences!