“Wish I had stayed somewhere else!!!” 2 of 5 stars
Review of Ocean Blue & Sand

Save Saved
You added Ocean Blue & Sand to your Saves list
Ocean Blue & Sand
4.0 of 5 Resort (All-Inclusive)   |   Playa Arena Gorda, Punta Cana, Dominican Republic   |
Ranked #29 of 100 Hotels in Punta Cana
Williamsburg, Virginia
“Wish I had stayed somewhere else!!!”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed November 15, 2012

This is not the resort for you if you expect good food, service or rooms.
Rooms:
We were a party of 6; every one of us changed rooms at least twice, some three times.

There was a musty mold odor in almost all of the rooms (some overwhelming) and we were in the privilege section. Keep in mind that half of the rooms (over 300 of them) look out to the pools/gardens and the other half look out to the service road. Half of the hotel will be disappointed in their view.
My bathroom ceiling leaked every day, everyday maintenance came to fix it and everyday it leaked again. There is a mini frig in every room, this is not a mini bar as we know it in the states. This is not a stocked bar with snack and refreshments. You will receive two beers, two waters, two juices when you arrived. If you want anything restocked you will have to TIP very well before this happens, even then it will be minimal.
We didn’t have a problem with towels but then again this was off season!!
Restaurants:
It’s the same food every day and it is less than desirable. Except for Mike’s coffee don’t expect a dessert that you recognize by site or taste!!! Enjoy the cookies from Mike’s; it’s the only dessert eatable. Now, if you like pizza, hamburgers and hot dogs….they have plenty and they are about the best thing you will eat here. Not exactly what I expected from the Caribbean. OH and don’t expect to have seafood here, they don’t have any with the small exception of some fried pieces of something, I couldn’t tell what kind of fish it was. No shrimp, scallops, grouper, tuna, flounder or anything that swims in the sea. Who would have thought?
Tipping:
I understand the concept of “all inclusive” and that you should still tip when you receive good service. However, you will not receive good or sometimes any service until after you tip. I had to wave a $1 bill over my head to get served coffee one morning and the restaurant was practically empty. Of course after you tip they remember you and things start to get better. But I don’t understand why this has to happen in the first place!!!!

Bottom line, this is an economy line resort. If you can afford better please do!! You are not going to enjoy this resort if you expect good food, service or accommodations.

Room Tip: Stay somewhere else.
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled with friends

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (1,571)
  • Polish first
Destin, Florida
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 14, 2012

I stayed with my sister, my daughter, and our niece from Nov 3-7, 2012. What a great time we had! The staff is what we miss the most. These people are happy day and night! They greet you woth a smile and a genuine happiness to see you that makes you feel like you are family. We took signed up for the Santo Domingo tour with Olymous tours and experienced more of the same there. Our tour guide Carlos Villalobos and driver Alejandro were awesome and showed us Santo Domingo as only a local could. We felt like we were on a day trip with family! We plan to return to Ocean Blue again next year and we also hope to see all the people that made our vacation so memorable!

• Stayed November 2012, traveled with friends
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 14, 2012 via mobile

Just terrible service. Bad manners from everyone except Cesar (food & drinks director). The infrastructure of the entire resort is just plain cheap. If you don't complain they will give a room in the third floor where you have to walk up and down 3 flights of stairs every time you go to/fro your room.
The only positive is the many activities which are entertaining.

• Stayed November 2012
Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania
2 of 5 stars Reviewed November 13, 2012

Our stay in May 2012 was so fantastic which was for my retirement gift, but in Oct. 13 thru 19th within 5 months was very DISAPPOINTING!!!! rEASONED WE REBOOKED ON oCEAN BLUE AND SANDS web site was a singles wk. However, when we go there mgt. advised us cancelled 3 wks before and we were never informed because I wouldnt have spent alot of money again and would of returned maybe next yr. I printed out interinary with all the types of things occurring on each day for singles and bought theme items and spent money and never used them. Rained all day and nite but very hot. I understand after effects from tropical storms. Couldnt get beach towels for 2 days and room service bad. Noone spoke ENGLISH hard to communicate which I understand Dom. of Rep. Food and service workers not socialble and friendly like May. Drinks watered down. I cant beleive in buffet we new guys from before 1st stay and they worked in same area and couldnt cross over to speak with us. My girlfriend and I had to sit in there section different times. They were watched by mgt like private detectives which we felt very uncomfortable. Entertainment crew were also laid back. But me and my girlfriend made the best of it becasue we were welcomed by wonderful people that still work there and made us feel at home. I want to say thanks and love them all in buffet Roberto, Elvin, Antonio. Lobby my favorite men and woman Sexy Black, Fernando,Sonia now a boss and wonderful person and we love her dearly. Jose Santo and Deivi bartenders on beach. These guys were so wonderful and gave us a farewell bye and hated to leave them all. The fire show which was beach party was FANTASTIC. Was very disappointing sent emails to Franciso nite mgt and never heard back for maybe a COMPLIMENTARY VACATION at the OCEAN BLUE AND SANDS RESORT. Overhaul our experience and second time returning there within 5 months, and how many people return within that time frame, we made the best of it. Thank you!!!

• Stayed October 2012, traveled with friends
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 12, 2012 via mobile

I stayed with 3 friends at this resort. I would highly recommend it to anyone and cannot wait to go back! There is something for everyone. The beach is beautiful and the pool area is kept clean. The entertainment was amazing. The guys really made our vacation a blast. They do a great job at interacting with the crowd. Charlie brown and mini me were definitely a highlight in our trip!

• Stayed November 2012
Oshawa, Canada
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 12, 2012

We stayed here for a week back in March, and the timing was wrong as march break brought alot of teenagers, however it was for a wedding so we had to go with the wedding. We stayed in the privilege rooms, and I loved this, close to the beach and we had a lounging area for only the privileged rooms, they served you drinks, buckets of ice, however it did fill up fast.The food was fine, nothing special. We had requested a quiet room and were facing away from the pool, excellent! There was a train that went around the entire resort that you could ride. My biggest problem was the vendors at night on the property were extremly rude and pushy. I have never seen this before. I love Punta Cana but would not return to this hotel.

• Stayed March 2012, traveled as a couple
SUNSET BEACH
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 10, 2012

We celebrated our 25th anniversary here Sept 22-29 and had a fantastic time! Junior, our butler, was extremely helpful and even left a note and decorated our room with rose petals to celebrate our anniversary! Our concierge, Jonathan was also extremely helpful. The bartenders, Edwin and Francisco were excellent as were all the servers (especially Angel Luis DeLossanto). Absolutely everyone went out of their way to make sure we had a fabulous time. We loved the entertainment and found the restaurants to be very good. The Mexican place was our favorite! We loved it so much we will be going back with our family next summer!! (The only negative was the mess made when the locals came for the weekend....there really needs to be more staff in place to clean up the pool and beach area on the weekend....one or two people could easily handle it all so there wouldn't be any mess left around!!)

• Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple

Been to Ocean Blue & Sand? Share your experiences!