“OMG!!” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Ocean Blue & Sand

Save Saved
You added Ocean Blue & Sand to your Saves list
Ocean Blue & Sand
4.0 of 5 Resort (All-Inclusive)   |   Playa Arena Gorda, Punta Cana, Dominican Republic   |
Ranked #29 of 101 hotels in Punta Cana
Destin, Florida
“OMG!!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 14, 2012

I stayed with my sister, my daughter, and our niece from Nov 3-7, 2012. What a great time we had! The staff is what we miss the most. These people are happy day and night! They greet you woth a smile and a genuine happiness to see you that makes you feel like you are family. We took signed up for the Santo Domingo tour with Olymous tours and experienced more of the same there. Our tour guide Carlos Villalobos and driver Alejandro were awesome and showed us Santo Domingo as only a local could. We felt like we were on a day trip with family! We plan to return to Ocean Blue again next year and we also hope to see all the people that made our vacation so memorable!

• Stayed November 2012, traveled with friends

7,303 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (1,522)
  • Polish first
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 14, 2012 via mobile

Just terrible service. Bad manners from everyone except Cesar (food & drinks director). The infrastructure of the entire resort is just plain cheap. If you don't complain they will give a room in the third floor where you have to walk up and down 3 flights of stairs every time you go to/fro your room.
The only positive is the many activities which are entertaining.

• Stayed November 2012
Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania
2 of 5 stars Reviewed November 13, 2012

Our stay in May 2012 was so fantastic which was for my retirement gift, but in Oct. 13 thru 19th within 5 months was very DISAPPOINTING!!!! rEASONED WE REBOOKED ON oCEAN BLUE AND SANDS web site was a singles wk. However, when we go there mgt. advised us cancelled 3 wks before and we were never informed because I wouldnt have spent alot of money again and would of returned maybe next yr. I printed out interinary with all the types of things occurring on each day for singles and bought theme items and spent money and never used them. Rained all day and nite but very hot. I understand after effects from tropical storms. Couldnt get beach towels for 2 days and room service bad. Noone spoke ENGLISH hard to communicate which I understand Dom. of Rep. Food and service workers not socialble and friendly like May. Drinks watered down. I cant beleive in buffet we new guys from before 1st stay and they worked in same area and couldnt cross over to speak with us. My girlfriend and I had to sit in there section different times. They were watched by mgt like private detectives which we felt very uncomfortable. Entertainment crew were also laid back. But me and my girlfriend made the best of it becasue we were welcomed by wonderful people that still work there and made us feel at home. I want to say thanks and love them all in buffet Roberto, Elvin, Antonio. Lobby my favorite men and woman Sexy Black, Fernando,Sonia now a boss and wonderful person and we love her dearly. Jose Santo and Deivi bartenders on beach. These guys were so wonderful and gave us a farewell bye and hated to leave them all. The fire show which was beach party was FANTASTIC. Was very disappointing sent emails to Franciso nite mgt and never heard back for maybe a COMPLIMENTARY VACATION at the OCEAN BLUE AND SANDS RESORT. Overhaul our experience and second time returning there within 5 months, and how many people return within that time frame, we made the best of it. Thank you!!!

• Stayed October 2012, traveled with friends
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 12, 2012 via mobile

I stayed with 3 friends at this resort. I would highly recommend it to anyone and cannot wait to go back! There is something for everyone. The beach is beautiful and the pool area is kept clean. The entertainment was amazing. The guys really made our vacation a blast. They do a great job at interacting with the crowd. Charlie brown and mini me were definitely a highlight in our trip!

• Stayed November 2012
Oshawa, Canada
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 12, 2012

We stayed here for a week back in March, and the timing was wrong as march break brought alot of teenagers, however it was for a wedding so we had to go with the wedding. We stayed in the privilege rooms, and I loved this, close to the beach and we had a lounging area for only the privileged rooms, they served you drinks, buckets of ice, however it did fill up fast.The food was fine, nothing special. We had requested a quiet room and were facing away from the pool, excellent! There was a train that went around the entire resort that you could ride. My biggest problem was the vendors at night on the property were extremly rude and pushy. I have never seen this before. I love Punta Cana but would not return to this hotel.

• Stayed March 2012, traveled as a couple
SUNSET BEACH
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 10, 2012

We celebrated our 25th anniversary here Sept 22-29 and had a fantastic time! Junior, our butler, was extremely helpful and even left a note and decorated our room with rose petals to celebrate our anniversary! Our concierge, Jonathan was also extremely helpful. The bartenders, Edwin and Francisco were excellent as were all the servers (especially Angel Luis DeLossanto). Absolutely everyone went out of their way to make sure we had a fabulous time. We loved the entertainment and found the restaurants to be very good. The Mexican place was our favorite! We loved it so much we will be going back with our family next summer!! (The only negative was the mess made when the locals came for the weekend....there really needs to be more staff in place to clean up the pool and beach area on the weekend....one or two people could easily handle it all so there wouldn't be any mess left around!!)

• Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 10, 2012

Well... I booked a 4 day/night (all inclusive) stay with Apple Vacations to Ocean Blue. One thing you HAVE to get used to when going to a third world country for a vacation (no matter how nice the resort).... Local residents will do anything to get your attention with ultimate hopes of scamming you. With that in mind... You should know there should always be the expectation to somewhat keep your guard up.

My wife and I fell into the pitfall of going to a "time share"-like presentation that wasted about 2 hours. The owning company of Ocean Blue, H10, will desparately try to get you to partake in this meeting where they dangle a bottle of local liquor in your face so you'll pay them roughly $50,000 to buy into their company. It's ridiculous!!! We were disappointed in ourselves that we basically wasted an afternoon of time while we could have been relaxing.

As a matter of fact, my wife was called a "silly little (insert 5 letter word...see also female dog)" by our saleswoman when she took a stand to refuse the offer after being badgered.

So, here's the deal... The Dominican Republic is a nicely kept secret. It's a nice way to experience paradise without killing your budget. But just keep in mind, it IS a third world country. You should be careful not to take the locals at their word. I heard a few stories from other Ocean Blue vacationers that they got ripped off trying to buy excursion packages with a few locals. As far as I know, Apple Vacations can be trusted.

The beach was a little "corroded" from Hurricanes past. I expected a larger beach. The resort, however, is practically right on top of blue waters....not a big deal to me though.

The food at Ocean Blue was decent and above average for an all inclusive resort. Same with the alcohol. Overall, I'd go back... But for what you get and the price... I think you might be able to do Cancún for less money and about the same experience.

• Stayed October 2012

Been to Ocean Blue & Sand? Share your experiences!