“Excellent!!” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Ocean Blue & Sand

Save Saved
You added Ocean Blue & Sand to your Saves list
Ocean Blue & Sand
4.0 of 5 Resort (All-Inclusive)   |   Playa Arena Gorda, Punta Cana, Dominican Republic   |
Ranked #28 of 101 Hotels in Punta Cana
SUNSET BEACH
“Excellent!!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 10, 2012

We celebrated our 25th anniversary here Sept 22-29 and had a fantastic time! Junior, our butler, was extremely helpful and even left a note and decorated our room with rose petals to celebrate our anniversary! Our concierge, Jonathan was also extremely helpful. The bartenders, Edwin and Francisco were excellent as were all the servers (especially Angel Luis DeLossanto). Absolutely everyone went out of their way to make sure we had a fabulous time. We loved the entertainment and found the restaurants to be very good. The Mexican place was our favorite! We loved it so much we will be going back with our family next summer!! (The only negative was the mess made when the locals came for the weekend....there really needs to be more staff in place to clean up the pool and beach area on the weekend....one or two people could easily handle it all so there wouldn't be any mess left around!!)

• Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (1,554)
  • Polish first
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 10, 2012

Well... I booked a 4 day/night (all inclusive) stay with Apple Vacations to Ocean Blue. One thing you HAVE to get used to when going to a third world country for a vacation (no matter how nice the resort).... Local residents will do anything to get your attention with ultimate hopes of scamming you. With that in mind... You should know there should always be the expectation to somewhat keep your guard up.

My wife and I fell into the pitfall of going to a "time share"-like presentation that wasted about 2 hours. The owning company of Ocean Blue, H10, will desparately try to get you to partake in this meeting where they dangle a bottle of local liquor in your face so you'll pay them roughly $50,000 to buy into their company. It's ridiculous!!! We were disappointed in ourselves that we basically wasted an afternoon of time while we could have been relaxing.

As a matter of fact, my wife was called a "silly little (insert 5 letter word...see also female dog)" by our saleswoman when she took a stand to refuse the offer after being badgered.

So, here's the deal... The Dominican Republic is a nicely kept secret. It's a nice way to experience paradise without killing your budget. But just keep in mind, it IS a third world country. You should be careful not to take the locals at their word. I heard a few stories from other Ocean Blue vacationers that they got ripped off trying to buy excursion packages with a few locals. As far as I know, Apple Vacations can be trusted.

The beach was a little "corroded" from Hurricanes past. I expected a larger beach. The resort, however, is practically right on top of blue waters....not a big deal to me though.

The food at Ocean Blue was decent and above average for an all inclusive resort. Same with the alcohol. Overall, I'd go back... But for what you get and the price... I think you might be able to do Cancún for less money and about the same experience.

• Stayed October 2012
Philadelphia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 10, 2012

Just got back from a week long stay with 3 of my girlfriends. We were very impressed overall with the hotel. Most staff members went above and beyond and were great to get to know. In particular, Charlie Brown, DD, Victor at the reception and Mini Me. The weather was great, beaches were ideal and the beach and pool side entertainment was always amusing.

The only negatives about the trip were the following:
1.The food was so-so. I wasn't expecting amazing food but it definitely could have been better particularly at the buffet. Food was always near empty at breakfast action stations and once they filled it, it was empty again from the long lines.
2.Our radio on our room didn't work. Not a big deal to most but the girls wanted to jam out before we went out for the night. After leaving a note and some money for our maid asking for a new one, she took the money, but no new radio.
3.NO BANDAIDS! Now typically, this is something I pack but for whatever reason, I forgot. After having my foot stepped on by Willy Wonka cause he was trying to show off while dancing with me, my toenail cracked in half leaving my foot in a puddle of blood. Went to the reception, no bandaids. They told me to go to guest services, which was closed. Went to the Medical Center that said they needed to charge $98 to look at my foot so they could give me a bandaid. Had to wait til the next morning to get something from the gift shop. Unacceptable.

While a cracked toenail put a damper on my remaining days there, it was still a great time. The resort is very well maintained and clean. The grounds are beautiful. There's free water activities on the beach to take advantage of. A simple, firm no thank you will get any vendors and sellers away. The entertainment staff did a great job of getting everyone involved and making sure everyone had a great time. I would absolutely return but just keep my toes away from Willy Wonka!

Room Tip: We stayed in Villa 5. Close to the beach and pool, little further from the lobby and food. Would rec...
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled with friends
London, United Kingdom
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 10, 2012

Just returned from 2 weeks (26/10/12-10/11/12) at Ocean Blue and Sand. Went with my husband and 18 year old daughter. Upon unpacking our chest of drawers broke and we had to have them repaired. The safe broke 3 times and had to be repaired. We had a dirty bedspread and our fridge was not restocked daily as promised. At the weekends, the hotel was swamped with locals, which often meant the other holiday makers were forgotten about and made to wait longer in favour of them. The al-a-carte restaurants were full (we were told not to pre-book! The buffet was ok,but we often had to wait for tables to be laid, or lay them ourselves. When leaving the buffet, we were approached by staff wanting us to upgrade. Not a great deal to do for teenagers. Some of the staff were lovely and friendly. Apart from that we met some lovely people, and went on some great trips, thus making our holiday enjoyable

London, United Kingdom
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 9, 2012

Just returned from 2 weeks (23rd Oct - 6th Nov) at Ocean Blue & Sand. Travelled with my husband and my two sons, ages 13 and 6. As a family we spent a lovely time together, we loved the beach, amazing white sandy beach with turquoise waters and lots of palm trees. Beautiful! Good entertainment team, always smiling and trying to please everyone. (Shame that Daniela was just doing practise, management should hire her. My son absolutely loved to dance with her at beach party).
The hotel grounds and rooms were kept lovely and tidy, my only concern was the pool area, cups and rubbish were kept from the day before and the floor was always dirty. One morning we found vomit in a couple of sun loungers, disgusting!The swimming pools though were always immaculate. Well done to the pool cleaner! He always greeted us in the morning.
We stayed in villa 8, quite convenient location as you are kind of in the middle between restaurants and pool/ beach area. Our room was facing the pool, quite basic and in need of refurbishment but had a coffee machine, fridge, iron etc.
Food was good, lots of variety but obviously gets a bit repetitive if you stay for 2 weeks. Very poor drinks, we spent two weeks in Mexico last April and always had nice cocktails with branded liquor. In Ocean Blue, cocktails were very sweet and made with cheap liquor. Bars were always running out of mint for mojitos so a bit of a disappointment there.
Weekends, we spent 2 of them, what a terrible experience! Hotel got invaded by LOCALS, very noisy, ignorant, greedy with food and extremely rude. It must be some sort of cheap rates they get. My husband who speaks Spanish heard one of the locals saying in a way of laughing and pointing to the foreigners the expensive rates we all pay compare with them. We felt like we were paying for those locals and not getting the service as they would be served first and push you to jump the queues at the restaurants. Unacceptable! The other problem was at night time, we couldn't sleep at the weekends. They would come to the rooms at 2, 4, 6am standing outside for more than one hour screaming laughing etc. We were so fed up we called reception but unfortunately nothing was done.
Regarding the H10 staff selling upgrades and time sharing we were approached the first couple of days but a no thank you in Spanish kept them away the rest of the holiday so we weren't harassed by them. The weekly vendors that came twice a week at night time were a pain as they would nag everyone to buy. I understand its a poor country and these people need to make a living but nagging and putting so much pressure just puts people off.
Every morning we had our coffee at Mikes, fantastic coffee and nice service. The morning guy, unfortunately I can't remember his name was absolutely a star. Well done!
Overall we enjoyed our holiday as its always nice to have some time off with the kids but we would choose Mexico, Riviera Maya instead.

Room Tip: Villa 8 and 9 nice location, close to pools and beach.
Grafton, Ohio, United States
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 8, 2012

Pros: great friendly staff, plenty of things to do, great pools and swim up bar, shops on the beach. Cons: food not the best, beach not so big, no hot tub area, very crowded with children on the weekends, only had Presidente beer. But overall it was a great place -the staff went above & beyond to make sure we were happy!

Room Tip: stay in the villas closer to the beach. they are also closer to the pool
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled with friends
Lancashire
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 7, 2012

Start with the positives- the entertainment team were amazing!!!! Outstanding, always smiling, have so much energy. Made it fantastic for my teenager kids. (Willi wonka and mini me) fantastic. Brilliant shows at night, best entertainment team have I ever met by far. Resort kept lovely and tidy, beach amazing. Food ok, got a little repetitive in buffet. Italian very poor, Route 66 very nice,good service.
Negatives-THE LOCALS at weekend(this spoilt our weekends) was far to busy at weekends with all the locals who came. They were very noisy, ignorant, and very greedy. Waited at the bar for ages, all locals would get served before you(was like I was invisible on many occasions) they eat like they have never eaten before and push you out of the way. Very poor service at weekend no tables, limited food.
They are staff everywhere wanting you to upgrade or sell you something( they wait outside buffet restaurant) found this disgusting when u pay a lot of money to go to Caribbean to get nagged by h10 staff and be in the middle of a huge party at weekends. Not something you dream about when u book a relaxing Caribbean hotel.have been to domician hotels before and would not rate this!!! Would I return? No.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled with family

Been to Ocean Blue & Sand? Share your experiences!