Well... I booked a 4 day/night (all inclusive) stay with Apple Vacations to Ocean Blue. One thing you HAVE to get used to when going to a third world country for a vacation (no matter how nice the resort).... Local residents will do anything to get your attention with ultimate hopes of scamming you. With that in mind... You should know there should always be the expectation to somewhat keep your guard up.
My wife and I fell into the pitfall of going to a "time share"-like presentation that wasted about 2 hours. The owning company of Ocean Blue, H10, will desparately try to get you to partake in this meeting where they dangle a bottle of local liquor in your face so you'll pay them roughly $50,000 to buy into their company. It's ridiculous!!! We were disappointed in ourselves that we basically wasted an afternoon of time while we could have been relaxing.
As a matter of fact, my wife was called a "silly little (insert 5 letter word...see also female dog)" by our saleswoman when she took a stand to refuse the offer after being badgered.
So, here's the deal... The Dominican Republic is a nicely kept secret. It's a nice way to experience paradise without killing your budget. But just keep in mind, it IS a third world country. You should be careful not to take the locals at their word. I heard a few stories from other Ocean Blue vacationers that they got ripped off trying to buy excursion packages with a few locals. As far as I know, Apple Vacations can be trusted.
The beach was a little "corroded" from Hurricanes past. I expected a larger beach. The resort, however, is practically right on top of blue waters....not a big deal to me though.
The food at Ocean Blue was decent and above average for an all inclusive resort. Same with the alcohol. Overall, I'd go back... But for what you get and the price... I think you might be able to do Cancún for less money and about the same experience.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Nestled on the wonderful beaches of Bávaro, and immersed in tropical foliage, close to the White Sands golf course, the Ocean Blue and Sand is an all-inclusive resort featuring suite accommodations, two luxurious pools, casino, spa and fitness center, dive center and an extensive activity program including childrens' and teen mini clubs, to make your stay an unforgettable experience. All-inclusive: Meals, drinks, cocktails and snacks included 24 hours. Some additional services are available at additional charge. Lobby with Free WiFi. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Travelocity, Expedia, Booking.com, BookIt.com, Caribbean Online Mgt Corp., Tingo, Hotels.com, BookingOdigeoWL, Despegar.com, HostelBookers, getaroom.com, Venere, Agoda and Otel so you can book your Ocean Blue & Sand reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Ocean Blue Punta Cana
- Ocean Blue Hotel Beach
- Ocean Blue Resort Punta Cana
- Ocean Blue Golf Beach Resort Punta Cana
- Ocean Blue Dominican Republic
- Punta Cana Ocean Blue
- Ocean Blue Hotel Punta Cana
- Ocean Blue Resort Dominican Republic