“Beautiful Property with several service areas of opportunity” 3 of 5 stars
Review of Paradisus Palma Real

Save Saved
You added Paradisus Palma Real to your Saves list
Paradisus Palma Real
4.5 of 5 Resort (All-Inclusive)   |   Playa de Bavaro, Punta Cana, Dominican Republic   |
Ranked #8 of 100 hotels in Punta Cana
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
“Beautiful Property with several service areas of opportunity”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed yesterday NEW

Our experience was pleasant overall during our 8-night stay in June. The resort was beautiful and the beach is one of the best I've experienced in the Caribbean. The staff was friendly and welcoming, however, resolving problems during the stay was not a strength. The wireless internet did not work in the guest room the entire stay and the staff did not show much empathy or provide information about when it would be fixed. The battery on our door lock died one night and it took three calls and two long walks to the front desk to finally have someone fix the lock late at night after dinner. With that said, there were two bigger detractors: 1. Used and Moldy coffee packets in the room 2. Dinner Reservation Process. After four days, I started smelling a stale coffee smell near the living area by the balcony door. I pulled back the curtains next to the wall and found three open coffee packets on the ledge that were growing mold and starting to smell very bad. No idea why they were there and how they were never removed. Even worse was the disaster of trying to make a dinner reservation. We were told we had to make reservations the day of and each day when we tried we were told the reservation would be confirmed by 3:30 PM with a note sent to the room. Several days we had no note and no reservation was made, another day, a reservation was made 3 hours earlier than we wanted, another day the reservation was made and then cancelled by the staff without our knowledge. It was one of the most frustrating experiences I have ever had while traveling.

4,951 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (900)
Cleveland, Ohio
3 of 5 stars Reviewed yesterday NEW

My husband, myself and our 3 "young adult" children stayed at the resort from 7/3 through 7/9. My husband and myself stayed in the upgraded Royal Service section, whereas our kids stayed in the regular Palma Real section since they were 22, 20 and 17 (the 17 year old was not allowed in the Royal Service section).

I can not say enough good things about the Royal Service experience...the ladies at the RS desk were wonderful and helped us with whatever we needed, including checking in with the airlines and printing our boarding passes the morning of checkout. Our butler, Fermin Mota, was available 24x7 and was always around without being annoying. He surprised us with turndown service and chocolates as well as a candle lit bubble bath with rose petals and such. Fermin was terrific and we were sad to say goodbye to him.

Now...the bad...the customer service at the regular Palma Real desk where we had to check in for the kids' room was horrible. I can't remember the last time I was treated so badly. If you visit this resort and stay at the regular Palma Real section avoid Natalia at all costs. She does not belong behind a desk dealing with people. I won't bore anyone with the story, just take my advice on this one.

The food overall was pretty good. The buffet is better than average, plenty of fresh selections and they change out some of the stuff daily so there is some variety. The wait staff at the buffet is outstanding and on point, and I would especially like to mention Wandy Castillo, as he made every meal there a pleasure. We had no trouble getting reservations at any restaurant as we used Fermin to make them, but plenty of acquaintenances that we made that were staying at the regular Palma Real (not Royal Service) couldn't get reservations on any day unless they were at 9pm or later. This did not make much sense to us, as our typical reservation on any day was 7pm and there wasn't a restaurant that we were in that was even half full during those times. There is some kind of game the resort plays regarding this. It was very strange.

Another honorable mention were the Royal Service housekeeping staff. The rooms are kept immaculately, and I know without a doubt that the bathroom area was scrubbed daily, and the bed sheets were changed daily as well - a pleasant surprise.

The resort itself is beautiful and spotless. The pools are spacious and there were always available lounge chairs both in the pool area and on the beach. Leonardo in the Royal Service pool bar is an outstanding bartender. His mojitos are the best!

Bottom line, if you aren't willing, or can't pay the extra money to upgrade to Royal Service, find another resort. It was like two different worlds and I wouldn't waste my money on the "regular" Palma Real experience.

• Stayed July 2014, traveled with family
Kearny, New Jersey
5 of 5 stars Reviewed yesterday NEW

I would like to start off by saying that the Paradisius Palma Real in Punta Cana is probably the best hotel in the the Dominican Republic. The service especially Jorge Marte, Jorgelina Leonardo-Castro, Davidson Germain, Francisco Rodriguez, Wandy Castillo, and last but not least Frank Sanchez is exceptional. They are a credit to their establishment. They made my family vacation just great. If you are planning a trip to Punta Cana go there. You will not be disappointed. Only drawback was that they were doing construction near my room. This was due to a fire to my favorite restaurant, renovating the casino, and adding new restaurants. I was told that the construction would be done soon. Even with the construction I would recommend this hotel.

Room Tip: Stay on upper floors nice breeze, no mosquitoes
  • Stayed July 2014, traveled with family
5 of 5 stars Reviewed 2 days ago NEW via mobile

We had an amazing time with our stay here...we were treated like royalty from the food staff to our butler Juan Castillo. I would recommend this place to everybody. Family friendly as well! I would definitely be back here again!

• Stayed July 2014
5 of 5 stars Reviewed 2 days ago NEW

I felt I must write a review a) to commend the team/staff at the resort and b) (to echo another writer) I was a bit concerned before we left after reading some of the reviews on here!

This review is based on our stay in the Royal Service. I had no idea what the rooms/facilities are like non Royal Service. We opted to upgrade as this was our honeymoon trip. I think it was worth every penny - the biggest reasons being
- butler did restaurant reservations daily which was wonderful
- the royal service lounge, beach, pool and butler service
- Palazzo restaurant. breakfast lunch and dinner were all delicious. It was tempting not to eat anywhere else!
- overall butler service
- help we received from the wonderful ladies in the Royal Service Lounge

The resort itself is beautiful, as is the beach. Wide range of choices for dinner and all the food was at minimum good. Standouts were Palazzo and dinner at Gabi Beach (didn't really enjoy their lunch but the ambience is nice). Market grill was ok, Bana Bistro was good and Passion was nice (its $60 extra PP and fun for the experience). The drinks are yum at all the bars.

Every single member of staff we met at the resort were so so kind and helpful - and my Spanish is rubbish.
- Jeuri Ferreira our butler was a gem and really wanted to make our stay special (surprised us daily with something - fruit platter in our room, whirlpool bath, wine, chocolates, cheese etc)
- Richard Ortiz & Stephanie (and everyone!) at Palazzo. So friendly and food always excellent.
- Fernando in room service - after meeting him day 1 he called every evening to see if we needed anything
- Leonardo at the sunset bar. Always ready with a cocktail
- Franiciso on the RS beach
- Saray & all the ladies in the Royal Service lounge
- Pedro and Guillermo - the kindest gents (drove the hotel shuttle/helped with bags)
- Lara RS manager

It was a wonderful trip and I would highly recommend the RS experience to anyone.

My one small "thing" would be our room always felt a little damp. Papers felt damp, clothes didn't dry very well. It was ridiculously humid and the AC was always on so that likely led to this. Wasn't a bit deal, just one of those things!

Thank you Paradisus Palma Real for a memorable trip!

Room Tip: We did RS ocean view which was lovely. The garden view rooms all looked great too - from the outside...
United States
4 of 5 stars Reviewed 2 days ago NEW

I enjoyed myself at this resort. What made it a fun experience were the tours I went on. For example, my family and I went on a canopy tour, an ATV tour, and a catamaran tour. They were all extremely fun! The food on the resort was pretty good, but it can definitely improve. The service of about 90% of the staff was excellent, but of course there is always going to be the few exceptions. I would like to point out Jose Lugo's efforts in providing me service. He was excellent every time I came into contact with him, went above and beyond expectations, while holding a great attitude. Staff members like Mr. Lugo made my time enjoyable.

Also the technology of the entire resort seemed to be a few years behind of what is expected in a resort. For instance, the Wi-fi capacity and locations it was present seemed to be lacking.

Overall, this was a great stay and I would definitely recommend it to other families.

• Stayed June 2014, traveled with family
Punta Cana
2 of 5 stars Reviewed 3 days ago NEW

Most requests for help or service never materialized over the 7 days of our trip. Reported a glass, full sz door was hanging by 1 screw when we arrived. Was still that way when we left. Maids were often out of towels for the rooms. My purse was stolen from the bridal suite. Was promised to be secure to store things until after the reception and that we bridesmaids had the only key. Key was changed to let maintenance replace mirrors and to fill the wet bar! We bridesmaids were the only ones who couldn't get in at the end of the night to get our stuff! Had to go to the front desk for a new key. The hotel did almost nothing and then refused to take responsibility for the theft. When we were back in the USA they emailed a voucher for a stay at . . . The most stressful, inefficient, overpriced and least restful hotel we had ever been to. I just wanted the iPhone, watch and money they invited a thief to steal, or at least an offer of replacement or a voucher for the price of the stay we already had there. We will not be going back. The Voucher is useless!

Review collected in partnership with Melia Hotels International

Been to Paradisus Palma Real? Share your experiences!