“Gabi Beach - Juan Medrano is the Best” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Paradisus Palma Real

Booking.com Expedia.com
Paradisus Palma Real
4.5 of 5 Resort (All-Inclusive)   |   Playa de Bavaro, Punta Cana, Dominican Republic   |
Special Offer
Up to $1500 Resort Credit
Ranked #7 of 101 hotels in Punta Cana
Rumson, New Jersey
“Gabi Beach - Juan Medrano is the Best”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed yesterday NEW

We just got back on 19 April 2014. It was me, my wife, my 16 year old daughter and 2 of her best friends. We had an awesome vacation. The vacation got off to a little rocky start, but then we met Juan Medrano at Gabi Beach. Juan was the beach server at Gabi Beach and he was simply the best. We travel all over the Caribbean and I've never had anyone take better care of my family then Juan. He brought us lunch on the beach, made sure we were all set up with our chairs by the ocean, when it rained (downpour for 20 minutes) he replaced all our towels and kept the Mojitos, Malibu Bay Breeze and Pina Coladas coming. He checked on us constantly to ensure everything was "muy bueno". Getting dinner reservations is a pain if you're not a "Member" (aka timeshare owner) but that frustration was overcome by Juan's outstanding service. Initially I felt that I'd never go back because if you're not a timeshare owner you are treated like a 2nd class citizen and dinner reservations are very difficult to get, but all of us want to return just so we can visit with Juan!!!

4,329 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (774)
Punta Cana
4 of 5 stars Reviewed yesterday NEW

My husband and I took my 14 year old daughter and her friend to this resort for Spring Break. When we arrived, we were in awe of the property. The Hotel lobby is absolutely beautiful. Upon check-in we were offered an upgrade to "Reserve" level amenities. The cost was $30.00 per person, per day and we would have access to all the restaurants, pools and beach areas, except those reserved for Royal service, which is adults only. Also included, was a person who would show us around the property, make our restaurant reservations and answer any questions we had during our stay. This individual told us he would be available all the time for whatever we needed. We decided to take the upgrade. However, the person who was designated to help us was really a sales person trying to push us into attending a 90 minute presentation to buy a time share. Once he understood that we were not interested, he was no longer available to help us and we were on our own. Though the rooms, pools, beaches and entire property are wonderful, the first 24 hours spent there were stressful and confusing. Trying to make a dinner reservation was a battle that took way too much time and energy. It is clear that the staff whose job it is to actually make reservations for you are really there to persuade you to dine at the buffet instead. It is way to difficult to get into the restaurants and when you do, you will see that they are not even full. That being said, the food and service was very good at each of the restaurants that we were able to get into.

The resort is lovely, but battle to dine at their restaurants and the deceptive sales pressure is a turn off and we would not return.

Review collected in partnership with Melia Hotels International

Norwalk,Ct.
4 of 5 stars Reviewed yesterday NEW

I just got back 4 days ago from the Paradisus, I went with my husband and 17 year old boy-girl twins. The hotel was beautiful, very clean, very plush, the rooms were well maintained and pretty. I really like a clean, "new" room and this fit the bill. The only problem was that there was a shutter and posts between the bedroom and bathroom so it made for very little privacy, or sound proofing while you were using the bathroom. The toilet and shower have separate rooms from the sink and bath tub but the both have a partially frosted door so you can still see and hear everything. I used a flashlight in the middle of the night to use the toilet so that the light wouldn't wake up my husband. My kids had their own room and it was embarassing for them that you could see into the bathroom.
The meals were mostly good, the buffet had lots of choices but some of the food was bland. The desserts were good and it helped that the Market Grill was open most of the time so you could catch a bite if you were hungry when the buffet was changing over to a new meal time. The restaurants had better food especially Bana, the hibachi/tepanyaki was very good.
The pools were large, clean and fun and the beach was very nice but it was hard to get lounge chairs because you couldn't be sure if people were done sitting because they didn't take their towels with them when they left. We finally just took chairs if we didn't see any personal items on them even though they had towels on them. It would be helpful if people were asked to remove their towels when they were done.
The shows at night were good but brief and the entertainment in front of the Avenue bar was interesting. I think the hotel needs to plan more activities at night for kids and teenagers. There were a considerable amount of teenagers while we were there but nothing for them to do. Maybe games or karaoke, perhaps something interactive they can do on their phones to keep them busy and have some fun.
My husband and kids booked a parasail ride in the hotel lobby and my plan was to take pictures from the beach at the hotel. When they were leaving, my husband got worried that maybe I wouldn't be able to see them from our beach (even though I tried to reassure him that I could) so we asked the guy that was driving them to the boat if I would be able to see them from our beach, he said just come along and I could take pictures from the beach where the boat is. I asked a few more times will I really be able to see them from the other beach and he said yes, and that I could even go on the boat for $10. I said no I want to take pictures from the beach. When we got there it turned out to be a local souvenir shopping area where your supposed to haggle and be hassled by the vendors. Quickly they hustled my family on a boat that turned out to be a tender that brought them to the real boat. It became clear to me really fast that my plan of taking pictures was not going to happen, they were not going to to be anywhere close to me on the beach. They completely LIED TO ME! They kept asking me to go shopping while I was waiting but I refused. I've been to the islands before and I know how badly they want your money. I would have been happy to shop there if they hadn't lied but as it was I just stood there until they took me out on the tender boat to meet up with my family and go back to the hotel. This really put a damper on that day.
All in all it was a relaxing trip, which is what we needed, but we left feeling as though we needed a little more to do.

Room Tip: The garden rooms are quieter.
Atlanta, Georgia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed 2 days ago NEW

I visited Paradisus Palma Real in June of 2013 and let me just say it was absolutely great. I am a very low maintenance individual and even traveling alone everyone was extremely friendly. Absolutely get the Royal Service as just getting into restaurants is worth it, but Tony my butler was great despite having to wait on several groups other than myself. I eat all over the world and the food is better than any all inclusive I have been to so don't be scared away by any negative comments. Berenice America and Alexander Guzman were there every day at Palazzo taking caring of me, learning my name, and exactly my favorites. And the dinner at Passion is so well worth the up charge. Great selection of food and the service was managed perfectly. Laura Castillo and Luis Rubio really took care to give me a in depth view of the dishes as well as some of the details that made the meal exceptional. Some people weren't happy because cable wasn't working perfectly in their room... You are on a beautiful resort, the Royal lounge has great WIFI and TV, and those bothered were usually with someone else so just keep that in mind. I enjoyed my stay so much that I am bringing my now fiancé to get married at the resort in a couple of months. They earned my trust and look forward to a wonderful second trip! My only request would be that the Royal guests get the pre trip email to coordinate the reservations and requests ahead of time...look forward to seeing the staff with my future bride!

Room Tip: Royal Service Garden View...great way to enjoy top notch service and the suites are just wonderful
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled solo
Bethesda, Maryland
5 of 5 stars Reviewed 2 days ago NEW

Our butler Fermin Angelo was spectacular and booked all of our dinner reservations and fun for the week. They have a dive shop there, where they arranged for us to tour Catalina Island and do 2 dives. Definitely would do it again. We upgraded to Royal Service instead of our room, and still had a large room with separate dining area. We signed up for an extra dinner at Passion which was really good food with multiple courses.

• Stayed April 2014, traveled as a couple
Chicago, Illinois, United States
4 of 5 stars Reviewed 2 days ago NEW

The Palma Real was selected by my friends and I as this year's vacation destination. When traveling, I love to enjoy the local cuisine and take in all the sights. All-inclusive resorts were not my first option, so I was tentative about this location. My mind has changed.

The property and accommodations are amazing, and beautiful. There are plenty of areas to enjoy coffee in the morning, and afternoon book, and drinks in the evening. The rooms are comfortable, and well taken care of by the staff. My room was cleaned daily, and prepared for my weary body when I decided to go to bed. I could go on about the property, but the photos really do it justice.

If you are selective about what you eat, you might have a difficult time with the food. I live in Chicago, a foodie mecca, so I found the dining options challenging. The food is fine, and abundant. I was tired of the menu towards the end, but satisfied with the options.

If you regularly drink craft beers, wines from Wine Enthusiast, and buy tickets to your next dinner, then you're going to have a difficult time with the libation options. I'm lucky to have a native Spanish speaker, and I make every attempt at speaking Spanish, so ordering from the bar is significantly easier (this is true for food too). The lobby bar offers a few extra beers, and some well crafted drinks by the an award winning bartender (Mario???). The other bars offer drinks based on the venue, so don't expect to order a Tiki Tiki at the cocktail bar. They have all the basic options, so do your homework and make sure you know what to order. I think using good judgement when ordering like you were at a wedding is good advice.

I have some special shout outs for some of the staff -

Ramón - he's the poolside bartender, and definitely one of the best bartenders on staff. He's got game both behind the bar and around the pool with fantastic drink balancing routines. The hotel should take notice of his skills, and make it part of the training program.

"Big Mac" - he's one of the entertainment staff, and comparing him to the energizer bunny would not do him justice. This guy goes a mile-a-minute, and delivers customer service without blinking an eye. You can't miss him, and shouldn't before you leave the hotel.

The hotel will push their vacation club during your visit, and it's up to you if and when you attend their informational meeting. We turned it down right away, which may have affected our reservations for some of the restaurants during our visit. We recommend the hotel staff gauging the customer and giving them the choice of if and when to learn more about the vacation club. Hard selling is never going to fly when someone has just arrived from the airport.

Overall, my friends and I had a great time at this hotel, and given the option would return here for our next visit to Punta Cana. I appreciate all the people that work here, and wish them all the best.

Thanks!

Room Tip: Skip the up charge on rooms since you're never going to spend much time in them.
  • Stayed April 2014, traveled with friends
New York City, New York
3 of 5 stars Reviewed 2 days ago NEW

The pictures of the rooms on the website don't exactly match with what you get. The rooms were adequate. The tv was antiquated. They also push the buffets on you after bragging about the wonderful restaurants on the premises. They also have up charges at 2 of the restaurants which you don't know about until you are ready to book a reservation. Be persistent about getting a dinner reservation otherwise you will be on the buffet lines each night. The kicker is, the restaurants are not even busy. Once you get in one, you will have a fairly good meal.

The beach, pool and common areas are very beautiful. The weather is fantastic. The service at breakfast was excellent--all others, including the bars are S L O W--they call it Dominican Time. They are not in a hurry and you will wait.

Review collected in partnership with Melia Hotels International

Been to Paradisus Palma Real? Share your experiences!