“Birthday Bash” 5 of 5 stars

Ranked #7 of 99 Hotels in Punta Cana
Charlotte, North Carolina, United States
“Birthday Bash”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 6, 2013

We had a wonderful and exciting time at the hotel. The purpose was to celebrate my 34th Birthday and they made it extra special. The hotel offers Royal Service which is the best and only way to go unless you are a member of Melia Hotel Reservations. Our butler, Yohelvi Aracena, is the greatest! He was very patient and knowledgeable of the resort, restaurants and services offered by the hotel. He did a great job of preparing a special dinner on the beach with private service on the evening of my birthday. He also worked with my husband and surprised me with a milk bath filled with bubbles and my favorite flowers, Orchids, to spell "I Love U"! The room was filled with candles, incense and a birthday cake designed by my husband and baked by Yohelvi. I definitely recommend Paradisus Palma Real Resort to anyone looking to celebrate a new romance, rekindle an old one or to celebrate any special occasion.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (1,317)
  • Indonesian first
Queens, New York, United States
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 5, 2013

My niece and I just got back in August from Punta Cana We stayed at Paradisus Palma Real, we had the best vacation ever. The Hotel is beatiful, clean and very well kept, the staff was incredilble they really go out of their way to make you have a great time, the Food, the Shows very good, the Rooms are beautiful, quiet and impecable clean. I also want to thank our concierge Alvaro Castillo and Chef Luis Concepcion at Mizu Restaurant, Ramon an Raymond at the Sweem-up bar, Justo Baron at Naos, and the entertaining staff Angel and the rest of crew for making our vacations unforgetable looking forward for next year to returned with my family.

Visited July 2013

Value Atmosphere Service

• Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
Boston
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 5, 2013

After researching tons of places on the internet my wife and I chose the Paradisus Palma Real in the DR. On paper (and as it turned out in reality), you got the most value for your dollar. We opted for the royal service, which included many amenities that were not included in the other packages. And after about 5 min. we both agreed that it was worth the extra few hundred. I was a bit concerned at first when we did not receive the 'pre arrival check list' and any time you call you get someone who hardly speaks english. However, about a week prior to our trip I called/emailed and was able to connect with the royal service concierge and they arranged private transportation from the airport (they will comp this for royal service but you have to push them a little bit). There was a man standing at baggage with a sign that had our names on it and off we went (and be prepared to tip everyone). Upon arrival to the resort, we were escorted to the royal service lounge to check in. They sat us down and handed us a mimosa and a few snacks. We had read about the sales pitch that they give you (which they gave to other people), but they did not put us through it. Perhaps because we informed them it was our honeymoon. After they ran my cc, and paid the room in full (which they run in the local currency, and also put a $500 hold on your account for incidentals, that i wasn't aware of) we were introduced to a butler who escorted and carried our luggage to our room. He gave us the run down on everything, we asked many questions on our walk to the room. In addition (and be sure to do this) we had him arrange our dinner reservations for the week. We asked his opinion of different restaurants and he was able to set us up. Additionally, prior to arrival I asked the concierge to have a bottle of champaign and strawberries waiting for us in the room and they did! After that, its your paradise to do what you please. We explored a bit to see where everything was check the place out etc. Theres a private area with a pool and bali beds on the beach just for the royal service. I didnt know this prior to arrival, but you have to have your butler reserve a cabana around the pool a day in advance if you want to use one. They also have bali beds out in the sun for your use on a first come first serve bases. Our butler also informed us to talk to the the cabana boys (guys in white shorts) to reserve a bali bed on the beach.

So the next morning I woke up early and talked to one of them, the gentleman I talked to is named Ramon. I told him that I was there on my honeymoon, gave him 10 bucks. And set up/ reserved bali beds on the beach for us, and he told me that everyday we would have the same one reserved. Ramon did an excellant job, couldnt ask for more. He put us in the front row! and every morning when we came back from breakfast he came up to us and informed us that he prepared our cabana for us, and could he get us a drink. Always a smile on his face, called us by our first names, and was always there with a drink if we needed one. Although its all inclusive, it is courteous to tip these folks as they are waiting on you and ready to meet your every need. Ask for Ramon and he will make sure you are well taken care of on the beach/ royal service pool.

This leads me to the royal service pool area bar. On the first day, I went up to the bar to get a drink and ordered a strawberry daiquiri for my wife and told the tender to just make me something. And the bar tender Nelson, made me his signature drink (which is not on any of the menus but should be) he calls it a 'make me happy.' Typically I am a scotch and beer drinker, but wanted something to drink by the pool that was more soothing. I ordered this drink on the first day, and drank at least 6 per day everyday after. They were AMAZING, I couldnt drink enough of them. Nelson is great at what he does always has a smile on his face. Its folks like him who leave a lasting impression and I will remember when I am booking in the future. Anyone can make a drink, but Nelson goes above and beyond to take care of people and make you feel welcome.

We went in late August, which is a bit of a gamble with hurricane season. But we lucked out and it rained maybe a total of 30 min. in the 7 days we were there.

Food: with the royal service you have exclusive access to a restaurant called Palazzo, great food. Breakfast was amazing, we went there the first day for bfest and didnt bother going anywhere else for the rest of our trip. They have a menu that you can order off, a buffet, and made to order french toast (which was out of this world), crepes, and pancakes. I was a bit nervous about drinking the tap water, and asked for bottles. However I was ok with them bringing the big bottle over to fill my water glass. So long as I saw them pour the water directly from the bottle in to my cup I was ok. Then we went for dinner at Palazzo and met a waiter who I will certainly return to see, his name is Hossay and took great care of us. Another person who is great at his job, and made our experience very personal and truly exceptional. He always greeted us by first name, and with a smile. Throughout dinner he made sure that my wife always had a full glass of wine (and you can order wine by the glass and its included, you dont need to buy a bottle). As i mentioned Im a scotch drinker, and like a particular brand of scotch that they did not have to offer in this particular restaurant, but they had it in the lobby bar. He asked me what kind of scotch I was drinking, and went to the lobby bar to get it for me...over the top! We got to know him well, great person. As it was our honeymoon, on our last full day we saw him at breakfast, and he told us to make sure we come to see him for dinner as he was going to have the chef make us something special. So we canceled our reservations at the other restaurant to come see Hossay at Palazzo (without a reservation). That night, he greeted us and sat us. A few min. later the Chef came out to inform us that he was personally going to prepare a special dinner for us that was off the menu. And he did, he prepared lobster tails and filet mignon for our main course. Truely a great way to end our trip.

The beach was great, be prepared for local vendors. They will try to sell you anything and everything and try to lure you back to their shops. There was a shop about 5 min walk on the beach that we went to its pink. to the right if your looking out at the ocean, that we went to to get all our gifts for people. Half the price as the lobby gift shop.
There was not too many people at the resort as a whole, as it was off season for them. So we had a very personal and intimate experience.

Our butler Sandy was amazing, he did everything we could have hoped for. He even got us an underwater camera for our snorkeling trip when the gift shop was out of them! Made us 2 bubble baths champaign and fruit without us even asking! Great job Sandy you will not be forgotten, One of the reasons for our return will be because of your hospitality!

There are a few things that I wish I knew prior to arrival, such as: The the reserve/main Yhi spa is included in the royal service (not the services, but full access to the hot tubs, showers, steam rooms, showers etc etc. which is a must do)- be sure to have them put you through the aqua theory its amazing and free you wont regret it, Snorkeling is included, sailing is included (we did both and worth it), lunch at Gabi beach is included for royal service. bring tons of 1's and 5's for tips. I brought about 400 in cash, big bills and was constantly asking for change (which most of the time they didnt have). I spent about 250 usd in tips over the course of 7 days. 4 days would definitely not be enough time with travel etc. theirs no need for an oceanview room, as you can sit on the actual beach anytime youd like. be prepared to deal with local salesman on the beach. I knew this but wanted to throw it in as a reminder, make sure to use the safe, only keep necessary valuables on your person otherwise lock it up in the safe. housekeeping will knock at 9am if you dont have the 'do not disturb' sign up. if you dont speak a lick of spanish it is going to be difficult to communicate with staff at times. Pools close around 7 as well as the pool bars. They serve gray goose/ belvedere in the royal service lounge, but no where else, glenfiddich is served in the lobby bar but no where else. Theres one swim up bar in the main pool, its overrated we went once and there was one bar tender serving both the 'land' front and the pool front. so we left after about 20 min w/o a drink at the swim up side. There is no music turned on around the royal pool area but I asked guest services to turn it on and there was music the next day. bring your own sun screen from home (even though it says included), women- you have to ask for hair conditioner as its not provided standard (but they will give it to you if you request). dont drink or use tap water for teeth brushing. they provide toothbrush/paste, razor/creme. The $1500 resort credtis are a complete waste, coupons to get you to spend more cash, dont have that be a deciding factor when booking. Wine by the glass is included, dont need to buy bottles. Cigars are not included but there is an overpriced cigar shop in the lobby. $500 hold on your cc at check in.

Of course every experience is unique, we went in late august which is off season so its very quiet and romantic. but I figured I would share mine with you as I was in your shoes a few months back, reading reviews for a bunch of resorts. I must say though that it was the staff that made it such a wonderful experience they truly know how to take care of their guests. Sorry for the long review, but I figured its better to be as detailed as possible because your about to spend good money on a vacation!

Room Tip: the extra cost for oceanview room is not worth it, and they will push you to upgrade at check in. yo...
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple
Huntsville, Alabama
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 5, 2013

The room was absolutely spectacular. Large, well laid out. Refrigerator is stocked, per your preferences, every day. We had the Master Suite and felt it was well worth it. Property is beautiful and we have returned three times now. Love it. They always do something special for us as we always travel over our anniversary (39 years now). Still romantic and in love and this is the place to be.

Room Tip: The Paradisus has an upgraded service area, but I can't imagine needing more.
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
Queens, New York, United States

• Stayed May 2013, traveled with family
Ottawa, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 4, 2013

We spent a week at Paradisus Palma Real last July. I travelled with my husband and 2 kids. It was very relaxing. The resort property is a really nice one. My 9-yr-old son had a blast in the swimming pool and playing tennis, and 6-yr-old daughter loved the kids club, where she felt welcome despite being quite shy. The restaurants, if not amazing, had decent food, except for the desserts which were much below expectations. Only complaint is the system used for making reservations at the restaurants. It was incredibly messy and I heard many other guests complaining about it. Time to move from telephone to an automated system.

Room Tip: The resort is very big and our room was far away from the reception and the restaurants. It wasn'...
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 4, 2013

I have never come home from a vacation with nothing to complain about - but this time, its totally true. I had a SUPER visit. The location was magical, the accommodations luxurious, the food delectable and the staff so friendly and helpful that I couldn't even imagine how to express my appreciation fully.
I do want to make special mention of Angela Guzman who was my Valet at the Spa and who was particularly warm, helpful and attentive.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled with friends

Been to Paradisus Palma Real? Share your experiences!