“Fantastic” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Paradisus Palma Real

You added Paradisus Palma Real to your Saves list
Paradisus Palma Real
4.5 of 5 Resort (All-Inclusive)   |   Playa de Bavaro, Punta Cana, Dominican Republic   |
Ranked #6 of 102 Hotels in Punta Cana
Oxford, United Kingdom
“Fantastic”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 25, 2013

We came here for our annual family Caribbean holiday after reading the excellent reviews. After an amazing 11 nights here I can safely say this resort is fantastic and the staff are a real credit as they absolutely made the holiday for me.

We did not choose to have the Royal Service as many people do, and didn't feel as though we were missing out at all. Any member of staff is willing to help, especially around the main pool and clubhouse, where all the activity staff regularly come round to have a chat and rouse you up to dance or go to a cocktail workshop etc. I cannot praise them highly enough for keeping us entertained, they were always there to have fun and were extremely polite, especially as many people were rude about minor details that could not be helped, such as the time when the clubhouse had to wait for towels to be delivered from the laundry. In particular I will mention Fabio, Yubelkis, and Francisco who were always putting a smile on our faces.

In my opinion the evening entertainment was brilliant and I have never been to another hotel that even compares. The cirque, beach party with fire dancers, Michael Jackson, and Retro shows were the best in my opinion and everyone can join in to dance for the beach party and retro evening. The staff obviously work their socks off as they regularly work all day before performing in the evening with a huge smile on their faces and more energy than I could believe! These evenings were the highlight of our stay and we thoroughly enjoyed every night.

The sand is lovely, however the beach does have a lot of sea grass, though is still lovely to swim in if you don't mind this. The best beach we visited was the one on the Dune Buggy excursion (definitely a must do!) and the beach on Catalina Island. The advantage of the hotel beach is the reef further out, which is beautiful to dive and was my first experience of diving in reef caverns which was recommended by Jorge from Scubaquatic and ended up being free courtesy of the hotel.

The room was clean and comfortable, with a huge jacuzzi bath and a good balcony. We had a problem with our telephone which was quickly resolved, as well as a leak in the bathroom from the ceiling, but maintenance fixed it within a few hours. Most of the TV channels are in Spanish but there are English alternatives for many.

We mostly ate in the buffet as there were very few vegetarian options in the restaurants for me, although we did enjoy Vento and Mole. Food service was good but drink service in the buffet was a little slow. Most servers speak good English and will have a conversation with you, though it does help to know some Spanish.

I would come back to this hotel in a heartbeat and was impressed by the whole experience. It is easily the most friendly island in the Caribbean and would recommend it to anyone wanting both a luxury holiday and a lot of fun and different activities.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
Rafael T, General Manager at Paradisus Palma Real, responded to this review, July 26, 2013
Dear Guest,

First of all, thank you for sharing your experience about your recent holidays at Paradisus Palma Real Golf & Spa Resort.

We are delighted to hear that you had a wonderful stay with us and that you enjoyed our Entertainment and the entire experience at our Resort.

We truly hope to have the please to host you again at your second home in Dominican Republic.

Best regards,

Paradisus Resorts Punta Cana

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (1,133)
West New York, New Jersey, United States
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 24, 2013

I was at the Paradisus Palma Real it was a beautiful experience..My wife and I enjoyed our time there it was very clean the rooms and we had the royal service which you get your personal butler and made the experience even better thank you Nicholas you were so helpful...Food was good and it was perfect

Dear Guest,

I would like to express my gratitude for having chosen our Paradisus Palma Real Golf & Spa Resort as the place to spend your vacation.

It is a pleasure for me to hear that your experience at our Royal Service left a memorable impression on you. At the Paradisus Palma Real Resort we have a commitment to provide quality service beyond our guests’ expectations.

Once more, thanks’ for your valuable comments and I hope to have the pleasure to welcome you in the nearest future at your second home, Paradisus Palma Real Golf & Spa Resort

York, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 24, 2013

Don't get me wrong,this is a very good resort,but could be so much better with a little extra effort.four of us travelled and we e mailed the hotel asking for adjacent rooms and were promised this.however on arrival we were disappointed to find that the rooms were along way apart and no effort made to correct their error,after a very long flight which had been delayed I was in no mood to argue.
We tried to eat in a restaurant on arrival but we're told we needed a reservation- a difficult thing to do as we had just arrived.we then discovered that if wanted to eat anywhere but the buffet you had to make a reservation and this required queuing at guest services often for up to an hour,with no guarantee of success- this system really needs sorting out,as even when we were told the restaurant s were fully booked when we arrived on two occasions we were the only diners.I think they try to channel most people into the buffet service.
Although it is an all inclusive resort the wine choice is limited and the alternative wine list is extremely expensive ,given that the house wine is already included in the cost I found the wine list prices unacceptably high.
More positively the location is idyllic the staff very friendly and the quality of the food good.
They could do with more sailing equipment,but the things they have are good quality.
Charging 10USD for floodlights for 1hr of tennis seemed steep but maybe electricity is expensive.
Room service is excellent,but avoid the laundry service as we could have bought a decent washing machine for the price !
We had a great time but this is an expensive resort and some things could and should have been better

Room Tip: Try to get a garden or beach view
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
Dear Guest,

Thank you for having taken the time to air your concerns after having stayed with us.

I deeply regret to learn that your stay with us was not up to what you expected. Exceeding the expectations of our guests and offer truly exceptional experiences is our goal. We know that in order to achieve this it is necessary to provide good service and attitude.

Your observations have been addressed to my managing team in order to fine- tune on improvement areas.

Once more, thank you for your constructive criticism and I hope to have the pleasure to serve you again at Paradisus Palma Real Golf & Spa Resort.

Buffalo, New York
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 24, 2013

My husband and I are members of Club Melia, and over the last year-and-a-half, we have stayed at three differenct Paradisus resorts , the most recent being the Palma Real.
There is a certain level of luxury we have come to expect from Paradisus, and what we encountered at the Palma Real was no exception to this. The very moment you step off the airport shuttle and gaze at (and through) the lobby, you know you have arrived in paradise.

My husband and I were the travel coordinators for 13 people on this stay, all of whom celebrating a "group honeymoon" for my brother-in-law, and my new sister-in-law. Prior to our arrival, Dionisio, the resort manager, was more than helpful in assisting us with surprising the newlyweds with an upgrade to "Royal Service." We were able to accomplish this through email, prior to our arrival, which was very nice.

Apparently, Royal Service is the way to go! The bride and groom were immediately greeted by the Royal Service staff, and whisked away to their own private check-in, where they were introduced to their new butler, Juan De Leon. They couldn't have been more delighted with Juan and the endless services he provided to them for the 7 days they were lucky enough to have him.
The only complaint they had was that Juan was not small enough to fit in their suticase, upon check-out : ))

The Palma Real has several amazing restaurants, the same ones you'll find at The Paradisus Playa Del Carmen. We were thrilled to have the opportunity to sample them once again, as they are all simply magnificent.

The beach is cery, very nice. We spent most of our time on the beach, on the Club Melia Members side, but we also spent some time time on the other beach areas, Gabi Beach being my favorite (love the canopy beds!!)

Given that Punta Cana is on the Atlantic side, I didn't know what to expect regarding the water. We are absolute Caribbean junkies, so I was apprenhensive about visiting Punta Cana. We have been to the DR before, on the Caribbean side, in La Romana. (The water there is clear, turquoise, and beautiful.)
I am pleased to report that the water in Punta Cana is really nice!! It's very pretty, and and the temperature was perfect! It must be from the nearby Caribbean influence. I was told that where the (Atlantic meets up with the Caribbean was only a few miles away.)

My husband and I, as well as our daughter and the rest of our family & friends who stayed at the Palma Real with us, all agree that this reost absolutely lives up to its 5 Star rating.

All that being said:

I do not recommend getting your hair cut salon, located on the Reserve Side. My daughter went from extremely long hair to short, and this is how they cut it: they pressed her hair aginst the back of her neck and cut straight across.... Not kidding. It was a bit uneven, too. Luckily, we used Melia Money (resort credit) for this, so it was "free".

However; the Spa Treatments are wonderful!!

PS: For Club Melia Members;
The members side is very nice, although the suites are not as spacious as Paradisus Cancun or Paradisus Playa Del Carmen. (No Jacuzzi on the balcony, but one in the suite.) The Members VIP is very nice, and the Club Melia staff was attentive, and more than helpful to us.

Thank you, Ariel Fernandez and Club Melia for making this trip amazing and memorable for all of us!!!!

• Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple
Rafael T, General Manager at Paradisus Palma Real, responded to this review, July 25, 2013
Dear Rani,

First of all, thank you for having chosen our Paradisus Palma Real Golf & Spa Resort as the place to spend your recent holidays as well as for taking the time to share your experience.

We have a commitment to provide quality service beyond our guests’ expectations; this definitely strengthens our philosophy of seeking the highest level of excellence.

It is a pleasure for me to hear that you had a memorable stay in our Royal Service and I sincerely appreciate your compliments towards Mr. Dionisio, Juan de Leon and Ariel.

I hope to have the pleasure to welcoming you back at your second home in Dominican Republic.

Chiang Mai, Thailand
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 23, 2013

This resort is by far one the nicest places I have stayed. Great food, beautiful beach, and wonderful staff!!! My wife and I did the royal service. Our butler was Nicolas Maracallo!! He was great! He took care of everything for us! He is definitely a people person and really knows how to make people happy!! Big thanks to Nicolas for making our trip unforgettable!! Francisco, Pedro, and Billy took care of all of our pool needs. They were just wonderful. But the main reason I write this review is for one staff member in particular Pablo Eusebio. Pablo was our waiter at the market grill. Pablo gave the best customer service I have ever received! Everything we needed he was a step ahead. He was so genuine and you could tell he loves doing what he does. It wasn't a job to him. He loved interacting with us and made us feel like we were the most important people in the world! What a guy! I could definitely see him being a butler and being able to work and cater to other guests! We will be back to visit Pablo, Nicolas, and the rest of the staff in the future! Thanks for a great experience!

Dear Samira,

Thank you for taking the time to share your experience at our Royal Service. We are very glad to hear that we were able to fulfill your expectations, and I feel proud to hear about the service offered by Nicolas, Francisco, Pedro, Billy and Pablo. We will pass on all your remarks on your behalf.

We will be awaiting you at your second home in "Paradise".

Munich, Germany
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 23, 2013

Everything about this hotel was perfect! Our butler Nicolas was amazing and very helpful! The staff was genuine and caring. Richard Ortiz was an exceptional waiter who always had a smile on his face. The food was delicious and fresh! This was my first time to the Carribeans and it won't be my last time. Thank you for an amazing vacation!

Room Tip: I suggest purchasing the Royal service package! It is worth it!
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple
Rafael T, General Manager at Paradisus Palma Real, responded to this review, July 23, 2013
Dear Samira,

Thank you for taking the time to share your experience at our Royal Service. We are very glad to hear that we were able to fulfill your expectations, and I feel proud to hear about the service offered by Nicolas and Richard.

We will be awaiting you at your second home in "Paradise".

Charlotte
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 22, 2013 via mobile

I feel that I needed to write this review,  for the past 7 months, I read every single review and it really helped in my stay.

I went with my family and friends from July 14 through July 21 to celebrate my 40th birthday, we all had a fantastic time.

We traveled with our two boys (1 and 4 years old).

I'm giving 4 stars, I will explain. The hotel is amazing, clean and beautiful, very well maintained, the rooms are big, the pool is the biggest pool that I have ever seen, the drinks are really top shelf (I was drinking Johnny Walker black label the whole time!) and the most amazing thing is the staff they really treat you like a king, they are always smiling, they will remember your name, what drink did you order, etc. Special thanks to Gloria Rodriguez at the bar on the main pool, she is amazing, Luis Severino at the buffet restaurant and Nicolas Maracallo.

Here are a few reasons why I'm giving them 4 stars:

When you check in they don't tell you how things work, what areas you are allowed in, how the restaurant reservations work, etc, they don't really have a good communication strategy.
The beach it is OK, it is not the tipycal amazing white sand, clear water from the Caribbean and it had too much sea weed.
At the main resort Palma Real, there is not a kid zone area, you have to go to the reserve area where you are not allowed to drink or eat. When we went, we felt like intruders.
The wifi it is a joke, it only works at the main lobby and it is very weak.

I'm not sure if we will be back, we may want to try a different hotel.

Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
Dear guest,

I would like to express our gratitude for sharing your impressions about your recent experience.
I regret very much that we did not meet your expectations with some of our services. I assure you that the managers of the various departments involved have been informed of the particular observations, and that appropriate measures will be taken wherever possible.

Thank you for your constructive criticism and I do hope to have the opportunity to serve you again at Paradisus Palma Real Resort.

Paradisus Resorts Punta Cana

Been to Paradisus Palma Real? Share your experiences!