“Disappointed” 3 of 5 stars
Review of Paradisus Palma Real

You added Paradisus Palma Real to your Saves list
Paradisus Palma Real
4.5 of 5 Resort (All-Inclusive)   |   Playa de Bavaro, Punta Cana, Dominican Republic   |
Ranked #7 of 101 Hotels in Punta Cana
Halifax, Canada
“Disappointed”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed February 14, 2013

We have travelled to several resorts in the Carribean and read the reviews for this and and were very excited to go! Upon arrival we were greeted very warmly and then shown to our room, that is when things changed, our room smelled like we were dropped off in a sewer. We spent the night and when we awoke my husbands throat was sore from the odor. I asked to be changed and by lunch time that did happen. I might have thought this was just bad luck but we were travelling with 2 other couples and they had the same problem. Unfortunately for them it took most of their day waiting in there room to be promised just one more hour and we will move you will that hour was all day.

The next morning we made reservations for dinners for the week and they were written down for us and after the first nights dinner they lost all of the rest so instead of standing in the lineup for another 1 1/2 hours were went to the buffet. Having said that the food was good and lots of variety.

The beach is great for taking long walks. There is quite a bit of grass in the water but still quite nice.

Sevice was good and staff were friendly.

Would I go back to this resort? Probably not very touristy in this area - helicopters, boats and more boats zooming back and forth. For the money we spent we were very disappointed.

Room Tip: Check out the room before you unpack and if it smells ....MOVE
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled with friends
Rafael T, General Manager at Paradisus Palma Real, responded to this review, February 20, 2013
Dear Guest,

I am quite concerned to learn about your dissatisfaction and the situations related with your room allocation and I would like to extend you my sincerest apology for any inconvenience you may have faced.

Your observations will be discussed with my managing team in order to apply corrective measures and thus fine-tune with the operation.

If you consider giving us a second chance in the future, please let us know and we will be attentive to offer you a pleasant stay as possible.

Paradisus Resorts Punta Cana

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (1,125)
OK
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 13, 2013

There were several positives and negatives on our stay here. We have travelled to many destinations and stayed in many different accommodations, so do feel I can speak with integrity here.
When we first arrived the welcome was overwhelming and sincere. We felt great. When we got to our room we were somewhat disappointed and as things began to go wrong became frustrated and angry. Power to our room went out a couple of extremely key times and after being passed around and hung up on it was fixed. The phone didn't work lights were burned out or missing, there just wasnt a lot of communication or help. The waitstaff was for the most part sensational and one of the concierges named Vladimir was exceptional. Vladimir spent 30 minutes with us discussing Haiti vs the Dominican, arranged and scheduled transportation to a trip to the doctor for my wife and fixed all of the fore mentioned maintenance issues in our room.

• Stayed February 2013
Rafael T, General Manager at Paradisus Palma Real, responded to this review, April 14, 2013
Dear Guest,

The comments and suggestions of our customers are of the utmost importance and assistance to us and I would like to thank you for bring these matters to our attention.

Your feedback is greatly appreciated and please rest assured that it has been shared with my managing team and it will be part of our daily work to ensure to have it corrected on a short term.

Antwerp, Belgium
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 13, 2013

I've stayed with my husband for two weeks. The room was quite big and it had a magnificant view. The restaurants were excellent (especially the Asian fusion-style restaurant, Bana I think it was). Overall it's an astonishing resort. In a few years I'll certainly go back, but first we have to save up some money :-) Also my congratulations to the crew: very professional and always ready to help where possible.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
Swift Current, Canada
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 12, 2013

My husband and I spent two weeks at the Paradisus Palma Real. We had not chosen this resort, but because of overbooking at the Paradisus Punta Cana, we were sent here. The activities staff - Rudolfo, Yira and the others were exceptional.Geoffrey the bartender - couldn't have been better, Ramon and Luis at the pool bar were very accommodating always. All the staff were wonderful and made the stay worthwhile. The only complaint we would have would be that the buffet of a morning, could have better staff. We found that they were very slack on delivery of water and coffee. Even after asking 3 times or so. As well, there was one fellow that worked on the grounds as a salesperson - always asking people for cigarettes!

Room Tip: Top floor is quiet. Would advise going to the Reserve as they have more amenities for clients
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple
Boston, MA
1 of 5 stars Reviewed February 12, 2013

We spent 5 days at this resort, and unfortunately, this place failed to impress, by any stretch of the imagination. There were so many negatives, it was hard to know where I should begin with this review. Rather than detail all our issues, I'll simply highlight the ones likely to be most useful to fellow travelers.

Service was poor, poor, poor. This was the overwhelming problem of our stay at this resort. Other members in our group confirmed this. The staff at this resort seemed amateurish and inexperienced. On more than one occasion, I asked members of my party if they felt like we had arrived on a week when the resort was training a large number of new staff. That, or the resort was understaffed for the number of guests.

I was reduced to self-service on more than one occasion. During lunch, after waiting 10 to 15 minutes for someone to get me a soft drink, I just went to the beverage bar, and got one myself.

Communication. If you do not speak Spanish, you may find language to be a barrier to communication. This was true for much of the staff we encountered. When I asked our restaurant waiter about an appetizer on the menu, he indicated the dish was his favorite. When I asked him to elaborate more on the dish and its ingredients, he couldn't tell me anything more about it.

We had similar communication issues, when ordering drinks at the resort's various bars. There must be a shortage of bar-tending schools in the Dominican Republic, because the bartenders were awful. Many of my drink requests were met with blank stares. They had no idea how to mix well-known cocktails. I ultimately had to explain to bartenders how to mix a number of very common, well-known drinks. Seriously, I was dumbfounded when I couldn't get a Kir Royal apértif drink before our meal.

The Room. Ours had a strong musty smell to it. When we complained and requested another room, we were told there were no other rooms available. We had arrived as part of a group, so the front desk advised us that we should find another person in our group willing to swap rooms with us. Seriously? Can you imagine that? Asking another member of our group, "Would you mind swapping your room for our musty-smelling room?" Keep this in mind, when you read the hotel management's response to negative reviews, indicating they "have a commitment to provide quality service beyond our guests’ expectations." That's the kind of quality service you can expect at this resort.

About the bathroom ... I hope you enjoy taking cold showers. Our room provided enough warm (not hot) water for only 1 person. The second person's shower was always cold.

Food was typical of all-inclusive resorts I have attended. Acceptably good (but not great), and certainly not of a quality that you will write home about. When you arrive to one of the evening restaurants on the resort, you will be asked about your reservation. When we indicated that we did not have a reservation, because we had just arrived from the airport an hour earlier, we were made to feel that the restaurant staff were doing us a favor by seating us. Really? Only a third of the tables were occupied, and it was 9 pm, well after the dinner rush. The hostess was acting as though we were trying to walk up to a hot new restaurant in Beverly Hills, expecting to be seated without being a famous celebrity. This is an all-inclusive resort, is it not?

Heed mine and other negative reviews about this resort. These comments are not the exception. In our experience, they were the norm. Bottom line: You will most likely regret coming here, as it will feel like a waste of your time and money.

The only nice thing I can say about this hotel resort is that the grounds were beautiful. The beach is very nice and just a short walk off the property. If that alone is worth your time and money, then go for it. If not, then I must suggest that you pass.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled with friends
Dear Guest,

Thank you for taking the time to air your concerns regarding your recent stay at our Paradisus Palma Real Resort.

Is saddens me to learn about the situation related with your arrival. I deeply regret that we could not fulfil your expectations with some of our services. You can rest assure that your observation were taken with the utmost consideration and I discussed the issues with the corresponding departments in order to fine tune with the operation.

Once more thank you for your constructive criticism as it is the best way to detect rooms for improvements and can therefore take immediate actions.

Lynbrook, New York
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 12, 2013

Just returned from our 2nd visit to the Paradisus Palma Real in the DR and it didn't disappoint! The property is beautiful, the service is awesome (even without having Royal Service), the beaches are spectactular and the weather is absolutely PERFECT and the food is greatly improved since our last visit...very impressed!!

But MOST of all it is the STAFF that head up the outdoor activities as well as the evening activities that make this resort special!!!! The dance classes everyday at poolside are terrific especially with my fave dancing partners RODOLFFO, JOSE and YIRA as well as Leo, Joangel, Rachel, Maria & Angel. This group of activity leaders are very special & can just make your stay extra special!!! Thank you!

The ONLY disappointing experience we had was at The Gabi Beach Restaurant which is NOT included in our package, but we enjoyed it last time & wanted to try it again & was willing to pay for the experience.
WELL, the food was so awful that after ordering 2 different entrees because our lobster was inedible, we told them to just bring the check...we actually could not eat the food! And we have NEVER done this at a restaurant!!! They were gracious & told us that there would be NO CHARGE but the experience left us literally with a bad taste in our mouth! Who knows, could have been a bad night for the chef but we could tell that this food was cooked hours, maybe days ahead of time.

We had to stay an extra night due to the blizzard in New York & our flight being cancelled & even with the hotel booked they were able to keep us in our room and accomodate the extra (glorious) day in paradise!

BUT...this is still a spectacular resort and we would not hesitate to go back!
MUCHAS GRACIAS MI AMIGOS......

Room Tip: Our room was beautiful in the JADE building 3rd floor. We had a 1 bedroom suite this time with a kit...
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
Dear Guest,

Thank you for choosing Paradisus Palma Real Golf & Spa Resort as your holiday’s destination.

I greatly appreciate your recognition on the effort and dedication demonstrated by Rodolfo, Jose, Yira, Leo, Joangel, Rachel, Maria and Angel. I will gladly pass on your compliments.

On the other hand I regret to hear that your experience while at Gabi Beach was somewhat marred by the incidents you mentioned; Please allow me to extend my sincerest apologies. I do believe that it is only by listening carefully to the comments and suggestions of our guests that we are able to immediately detect areas for improvement and can therefore take actions instantly.

Your feedback is greatly appreciated and I hope that this situation does not deter you from visiting our resort in the near future.

Sincerely yours,

Littleton, New Hampshire, United States
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 11, 2013

After our 6 day stay at the Paradisus Palma Real we never wanted to leave. The food was amazing, service more than we had ever expected. We highly suggest upgrading to the Royal Service. Our butler Jose Salvador was phenomenal, from hot bubble baths with flowers and champagne, chocolate covered strawberries, dinner reservations, Poolside private cabana reservation, and any all other small requests were met immediately and with impeccable timing. We also had a great time at the Royal Service pool and beach. Wilkie greeting us with his amazing, beautiful smile every morning, getting to know us better each day and making the best damn drinks. Martin(sp), the staff member on the Royal Service Beach, busting his butt alllll day, never slowing down, meeting everyone needs, and always a helping hand. Lobby Bar David and Guan made us look forward to seeing them every evening, loving life,loving their jobs! Creating amazing cocktails!
We also had the joy of meeting an amazing couple that stays there 5-6 times a year. The staff knew them very well and treated them like family. This couple made our stay here even more enjoyable than we ever thought possible. It's nice knowing people love coming back time and time again. We are already planning next years trip!
Thank You Again!

Room Tip: Upgrade to Royal Service
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
Rafael T, Director General at Paradisus Palma Real, responded to this review, February 13, 2013
Dear KristiLuke,

I would like to express my gratitude for having chosen our Paradisus Palma Real Golf & Spa Resort as the place to spend such special occasion, your honeymoon.

It is truly a pleasure for me to hear that you enjoyed your stay with us, and I would like to thank you for your comments regarding our Staff. It is thanks to our excellent team that we are able to accomplish our goal - the total satisfaction of our guests. I will gladly pass on your compliments to each you have mentioned.

We look forward to have the pleasure to hosting you again in the nearest future, at “your home away from home”.

Paradisus Resorts Punta Cana

Been to Paradisus Palma Real? Share your experiences!