“Great staff” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Paradisus Palma Real

Save Saved
You added Paradisus Palma Real to your Saves list
Paradisus Palma Real
4.5 of 5 Resort (All-Inclusive)   |   Playa de Bavaro, Punta Cana, Dominican Republic   |
Special Offer
Up to $1500 Resort Credit
Ranked #7 of 101 hotels in Punta Cana
Swift Current, Canada
“Great staff”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 12, 2013

My husband and I spent two weeks at the Paradisus Palma Real. We had not chosen this resort, but because of overbooking at the Paradisus Punta Cana, we were sent here. The activities staff - Rudolfo, Yira and the others were exceptional.Geoffrey the bartender - couldn't have been better, Ramon and Luis at the pool bar were very accommodating always. All the staff were wonderful and made the stay worthwhile. The only complaint we would have would be that the buffet of a morning, could have better staff. We found that they were very slack on delivery of water and coffee. Even after asking 3 times or so. As well, there was one fellow that worked on the grounds as a salesperson - always asking people for cigarettes!

Room Tip: Top floor is quiet. Would advise going to the Reserve as they have more amenities for clients
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple

4,313 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (771)
Boston, MA
1 of 5 stars Reviewed February 12, 2013

We spent 5 days at this resort, and unfortunately, this place failed to impress, by any stretch of the imagination. There were so many negatives, it was hard to know where I should begin with this review. Rather than detail all our issues, I'll simply highlight the ones likely to be most useful to fellow travelers.

Service was poor, poor, poor. This was the overwhelming problem of our stay at this resort. Other members in our group confirmed this. The staff at this resort seemed amateurish and inexperienced. On more than one occasion, I asked members of my party if they felt like we had arrived on a week when the resort was training a large number of new staff. That, or the resort was understaffed for the number of guests.

I was reduced to self-service on more than one occasion. During lunch, after waiting 10 to 15 minutes for someone to get me a soft drink, I just went to the beverage bar, and got one myself.

Communication. If you do not speak Spanish, you may find language to be a barrier to communication. This was true for much of the staff we encountered. When I asked our restaurant waiter about an appetizer on the menu, he indicated the dish was his favorite. When I asked him to elaborate more on the dish and its ingredients, he couldn't tell me anything more about it.

We had similar communication issues, when ordering drinks at the resort's various bars. There must be a shortage of bar-tending schools in the Dominican Republic, because the bartenders were awful. Many of my drink requests were met with blank stares. They had no idea how to mix well-known cocktails. I ultimately had to explain to bartenders how to mix a number of very common, well-known drinks. Seriously, I was dumbfounded when I couldn't get a Kir Royal apértif drink before our meal.

The Room. Ours had a strong musty smell to it. When we complained and requested another room, we were told there were no other rooms available. We had arrived as part of a group, so the front desk advised us that we should find another person in our group willing to swap rooms with us. Seriously? Can you imagine that? Asking another member of our group, "Would you mind swapping your room for our musty-smelling room?" Keep this in mind, when you read the hotel management's response to negative reviews, indicating they "have a commitment to provide quality service beyond our guests’ expectations." That's the kind of quality service you can expect at this resort.

About the bathroom ... I hope you enjoy taking cold showers. Our room provided enough warm (not hot) water for only 1 person. The second person's shower was always cold.

Food was typical of all-inclusive resorts I have attended. Acceptably good (but not great), and certainly not of a quality that you will write home about. When you arrive to one of the evening restaurants on the resort, you will be asked about your reservation. When we indicated that we did not have a reservation, because we had just arrived from the airport an hour earlier, we were made to feel that the restaurant staff were doing us a favor by seating us. Really? Only a third of the tables were occupied, and it was 9 pm, well after the dinner rush. The hostess was acting as though we were trying to walk up to a hot new restaurant in Beverly Hills, expecting to be seated without being a famous celebrity. This is an all-inclusive resort, is it not?

Heed mine and other negative reviews about this resort. These comments are not the exception. In our experience, they were the norm. Bottom line: You will most likely regret coming here, as it will feel like a waste of your time and money.

The only nice thing I can say about this hotel resort is that the grounds were beautiful. The beach is very nice and just a short walk off the property. If that alone is worth your time and money, then go for it. If not, then I must suggest that you pass.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled with friends
Rafael T, General Manager at Paradisus Palma Real, responded to this review, April 14, 2013
Dear Guest,

Thank you for taking the time to air your concerns regarding your recent stay at our Paradisus Palma Real Resort.

Is saddens me to learn about the situation related with your arrival. I deeply regret that we could not fulfil your expectations with some of our services. You can rest assure that your observation were taken with the utmost consideration and I discussed the issues with the corresponding departments in order to fine tune with the operation.

Once more thank you for your constructive criticism as it is the best way to detect rooms for improvements and can therefore take immediate actions.

Lynbrook, New York
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 12, 2013

Just returned from our 2nd visit to the Paradisus Palma Real in the DR and it didn't disappoint! The property is beautiful, the service is awesome (even without having Royal Service), the beaches are spectactular and the weather is absolutely PERFECT and the food is greatly improved since our last visit...very impressed!!

But MOST of all it is the STAFF that head up the outdoor activities as well as the evening activities that make this resort special!!!! The dance classes everyday at poolside are terrific especially with my fave dancing partners RODOLFFO, JOSE and YIRA as well as Leo, Joangel, Rachel, Maria & Angel. This group of activity leaders are very special & can just make your stay extra special!!! Thank you!

The ONLY disappointing experience we had was at The Gabi Beach Restaurant which is NOT included in our package, but we enjoyed it last time & wanted to try it again & was willing to pay for the experience.
WELL, the food was so awful that after ordering 2 different entrees because our lobster was inedible, we told them to just bring the check...we actually could not eat the food! And we have NEVER done this at a restaurant!!! They were gracious & told us that there would be NO CHARGE but the experience left us literally with a bad taste in our mouth! Who knows, could have been a bad night for the chef but we could tell that this food was cooked hours, maybe days ahead of time.

We had to stay an extra night due to the blizzard in New York & our flight being cancelled & even with the hotel booked they were able to keep us in our room and accomodate the extra (glorious) day in paradise!

BUT...this is still a spectacular resort and we would not hesitate to go back!
MUCHAS GRACIAS MI AMIGOS......

Room Tip: Our room was beautiful in the JADE building 3rd floor. We had a 1 bedroom suite this time with a kit...
Dear Guest,

Thank you for choosing Paradisus Palma Real Golf & Spa Resort as your holiday’s destination.

I greatly appreciate your recognition on the effort and dedication demonstrated by Rodolfo, Jose, Yira, Leo, Joangel, Rachel, Maria and Angel. I will gladly pass on your compliments.

On the other hand I regret to hear that your experience while at Gabi Beach was somewhat marred by the incidents you mentioned; Please allow me to extend my sincerest apologies. I do believe that it is only by listening carefully to the comments and suggestions of our guests that we are able to immediately detect areas for improvement and can therefore take actions instantly.

Your feedback is greatly appreciated and I hope that this situation does not deter you from visiting our resort in the near future.

Sincerely yours,

Littleton, New Hampshire, United States
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 11, 2013

After our 6 day stay at the Paradisus Palma Real we never wanted to leave. The food was amazing, service more than we had ever expected. We highly suggest upgrading to the Royal Service. Our butler Jose Salvador was phenomenal, from hot bubble baths with flowers and champagne, chocolate covered strawberries, dinner reservations, Poolside private cabana reservation, and any all other small requests were met immediately and with impeccable timing. We also had a great time at the Royal Service pool and beach. Wilkie greeting us with his amazing, beautiful smile every morning, getting to know us better each day and making the best damn drinks. Martin(sp), the staff member on the Royal Service Beach, busting his butt alllll day, never slowing down, meeting everyone needs, and always a helping hand. Lobby Bar David and Guan made us look forward to seeing them every evening, loving life,loving their jobs! Creating amazing cocktails!
We also had the joy of meeting an amazing couple that stays there 5-6 times a year. The staff knew them very well and treated them like family. This couple made our stay here even more enjoyable than we ever thought possible. It's nice knowing people love coming back time and time again. We are already planning next years trip!
Thank You Again!

Room Tip: Upgrade to Royal Service
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
Rafael T, Director General at Paradisus Palma Real, responded to this review, February 13, 2013
Dear KristiLuke,

I would like to express my gratitude for having chosen our Paradisus Palma Real Golf & Spa Resort as the place to spend such special occasion, your honeymoon.

It is truly a pleasure for me to hear that you enjoyed your stay with us, and I would like to thank you for your comments regarding our Staff. It is thanks to our excellent team that we are able to accomplish our goal - the total satisfaction of our guests. I will gladly pass on your compliments to each you have mentioned.

We look forward to have the pleasure to hosting you again in the nearest future, at “your home away from home”.

Lansing, Michigan
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 11, 2013

We just returned Friday after six phenomenal nights and seven or the most relaxing days we have ever had the pleasure to enjoy. The Paradisus Palma Real in Punta Cana is one of the Crown Jewels of the Caribbean. It even topped the Half Moon Bay Resort in Jamaica in our experience. From the moment the taxi pulled up to the front entrance until the sad moment our taxi pulled away we had the time of our lives. This resort is not simply one of the finest and most elegant destinations in the Caribbean...the staff is second to none in providing a superior level of hospitality. Edgar, our Concierge during our visit, made certain that all our needs were cared for...to the last detail. At the poolside bar, there is only one Ramon...and the Paradisus is blessed to have him. He makes the work of getting to know every guest he can by name AND remembering their preferred beverage seem effortless. Hospitality at its finest. And then there is the INCREDIBLE team of guest service/entertainment gents and ladies that invite you into the family at Paradisus (and if you take the time, into their own lives as well). Led by the incredible energy, talent, and limitless energy of Rudolpho Castillo, his dedicated and devoted team of employees make the difference between a great resort stay and an unforgettable destination. Working with Angel (you have to love the jumpsuit at the 80's night), Esaea (a gifted dancer who can get anyone up to dance and have fun), to Yiro and Yohangael the daily fun never stops. You can have all the fun and sun you could want without ever leaving the resort...ask anyone of them and its done...period. And the evening spectaculars (Dominican Republic Cultural Night with native dancing and wonderful costumes), Fire Dancing on the Beach at the party of parties...and enjoying the gifted talents of Leo, Jose, Ivelise, Luis, Manta, Bailarines and Painter in addition to Rudolpho (the Rafiki of the Fire Dance), Angel and Esaea...this truly was the experience of a lifetime.
The resort is a spectacle with luscious gardens, tropical plants and expert lighting throughout. Walking around the resort in the daytime is a completely different experience than at night and both should be savored several times. The maintenance crews are devoted to maintaining an impeccable property...the pools are spotless, the grounds are carefully pruned nightly and I cannot recall seeing anything that needed attention or was not being attended to.
The food at Paradisus Palma Real was over the top. Every resort should have a buffet restaurant that prepares all food on premises, removes anything that even hints of lacking perfection and two chef's constantly preparing your favorite entree right before your eyes...to your specifications. The restaurants were in every way equal to any top rated restaurant in any major city. We were so pleased with the Vento Restaurant, we ate there twice. Their wine selection is superb and very reasonably priced. The meals were expertly prepared and presented and service was...well, we never had to look for our next course. It was always right on time. The Gabi Beach Restaurant was delightful...the Lobster Cappucino over the top...and most every table offers a view of the beach and the sea. This was so romantic for our last night dinner.
The Yhi Spa was designed with a one of a kind experience in mind. The Menu of available services was extraordinary. We enjoyed the 75 minute hot oil massage together in the same private room and the other spa amenities...from the hot tubs (there are three) to the "special surprises" only to be found in a first class spa...well, I could have spent 4 hours each day and never been bored. Ladie was probably the best spa attendant we have ever encountered at any spa in the states or the islands. She is cordial, friendly, committed to a total experience for every guest and will open her heart if you are blessed to be invited in.
This could go on for hours...save the rest for another time...email me at bobmcgowanmi@gmail.com and it would be my pleasure to offer any more info about this special resort...truly a Paradisus...
Bob

Dear Guest,

I would like to express my gratitude for choosing us as your holiday destination as well as for sharing your impressions about your experience .

I am proud to hear that our staff went above and beyond in their effort to offer you a truly memorable stay. At the Paradisus Palma Real Golf & Spa Resort we have a commitment to provide quality service beyond our guests’ expectations, and it is a real pleasure for me to learn that we have achieved our goal. This definitely strengthens our philosophy of seeking the highest level of excellence.

We hope to have the pleasure to hosting you again at this “your home in paradise”.

Toronto
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 11, 2013

My husband and myself just returned home from this resort. It was by far the nicest resort we have ever stayed at and the staff were all so friendly. Our butler Hugo was very helpful and always was there to answer any questions for us. The pool bartenders were very entertaining, especially Luis and Ramon. Food was very tasty and the whole resort was absolutely spotless. We would highly recommend this resort and it is only 15 minutes away from the airport. The resort never felt crowded since it is so large. See you again!!

west
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 10, 2013

Hi, Just got back from a week at Palma Real Paradisus. This place is just what you are looking for. Immaculate resort with some of the nicest employees you will find on the planet.

First off, the accomodations. We were not at the Reserve nor had Royal Service. We like being around other people and our room was great. A nice comfortable bed and pillows, Clean towels every day or so - I wasn't keeping track because I used my same towel till it was gone and new ones were there. The room was picked up each day, turned down service and the fridge was stocked with water, a few sodas and a bottle of wine which I never opened. All you had to do was ask and there would be whatever you wanted stocked. We had room service coffee delivered on morning and it took 15 minutes and my wife ordered breakfast and she had to wait a whopping 20 minutes! We had a nice porch, shower and nothing in the room was not up to a high standard.

Next the food. The Naos buffet was large and offers whatever you could possibly want for breakfast, lunch or dinner. No need to feel that you are getting the same thing everyday - there is a lot of variety and there is fish and beef cooked to order as well as all sorts of prepared dishes, breads, fruit, salad, cereals. If you can find something to complain about you are making too much of an effort. The hostess staff and the waiters are all very nice, enjoy conversation and appreciate you being in their resort. There is a sandwich bar for a quick bite, a hamburger/nacho, hotdog kind of place all afternoon and you can get a coffee at the coffe bar.
The dinner restaurants are nice too so you feel like you are in a different place at night. Our favorite was Vento, because of the open seating.

The activity schedule is fun and I stongle urge you to do things like beach volleyball, dance lessons, make a cigar or learn about Doninican mamahuana- the national drink. Rodolfo Castillo is tireless in getting you involved and his enthusiasm is contagious. Yira gets the group together for volley ball, there is JoAngel, Angel, Rachel, Edwar, Leo, Ivelisse, Yubi, and finally Jose. Jose was our activity person 7 years ago when he was 20 at the Paradisus Punta Cana and now has two kids! These people are the life of the resort. You can do as little as possible or as much as possible but they are fun and will make your vacation experience more enjoyable.

The shows are put on each night and choeographed by Maria. She is a beautiful person and it is obvious she takes great pride in putting on theses shows for the guests. They are a nice way to end the day and spend a little time after dinner enjoyng music and dance.

OK, then there is the pool bar with Luis, Ramon, Paulino. There is nothing like it. When you are at their bar you are family. These guys work their butts off and do it with the biggest smiles and fun attitudes that you would think they are just one of your friends on vacation who are making you drinks! we liked to go to the pool at 4 pm and spend an hour chatting with the other guests. Don't be surprised when your drink is delivered to you at the pool balanced on top of the bartenders head!

I went Scuba diving three days, twice with Val from Italy as the Master and the other day with ??? I am sorry I forgot his name, we went on reef and cave dives and it was alot of fun hanging out at the dive center.

What else can I add???? the lobby bar, which is the center for evening cocktails had very good entertainment and the activity people are there to have you put your dance lessons to work.

The gym is well equipped, the attendant wouldn'y allow me to wipe down the treadmill - he took care of it as well as making sure I had water and a towel, the Spa was nice, we had a couples massage and Sylvia and ?? were great.

We also played tennis, raquets and balls are there for your use, we signed out paddles to play on the beach and spent time reading.

This resort is beautiful but the people make it special. Introduce yourself and you will be greeted all week by your first name. I can't wait to go back.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled with family
Rafael T, General Manager at Paradisus Palma Real, responded to this review, February 28, 2013
Dear Guest,

It is truly a pleasure for me to receive your impressions on this trip.

Exceeding expectations of our guest and offer memorable experiences is our commitment and I am proud to learn that we have achieved our goal. I greatly appreciate your recognition to the effort and dedication demonstrated by our Activities staff especially by our Choreographer Maria Cecilia, as well as by our bartenders Ramon “Fuego”, Luis and Paulino.

Thank you for your valuable comments and we cannot wait to welcoming you back.

Paradisus Resorts Punta Cana

Been to Paradisus Palma Real? Share your experiences!