“Paradisus Palma Real IS Paradise!” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Paradisus Palma Real

Save Saved
You added Paradisus Palma Real to your Saves list
Paradisus Palma Real
4.5 of 5 Resort (All-Inclusive)   |   Playa de Bavaro, Punta Cana, Dominican Republic   |
Ranked #8 of 100 hotels in Punta Cana
Sound Beach, New York
“Paradisus Palma Real IS Paradise!”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 25, 2012

My 88 year old father and 85 year old mother treated my family and me to this vacation. This resort is over-the-top exquisitely beautiful.The staff at this hotel were wonderful. Staff member, Anthony Ditto who provided service at the buffet was extremely wonderful. He anticipated our every need even before we did! We were treated as his family and his attention was above and beyond our imagination. He paid particular attention to my elderly parents, even carrying their meals from buffet to table. He did so with enormous friendliness and pride. In addition, there were two gentlemen who were bartenders at the pool... Mr. Luis Diaz and Mr. Ramon Fuego. They worked intensely hard all day in the blazing sun but were warmer! Instantaneously, they learned each family members' favorite beverage, and would actually prepare it and serve it even without request. Their attention was loving, kind, and eager, and it seemed as they could not do enough for my family and I. We all developed an attachment to these staff and felt sad upon saying goodbye to them. They were extraordinarily attentive to my parents and made all of us feel special and spoiled. Wishing some of my colleagues here at home had such a iron clad work ethic. Can't wait to return!

• Stayed November 2012, traveled with family
Rafael T, General Manager at Paradisus Palma Real, responded to this review, December 13, 2012
Dear Deborah,

It is truly a pleasure for me to receive your impressions on this trip.

Exceeding expectations of our guest and offer memorable experiences is our commitment and I am proud to learn that we have achieved our goal. I greatly appreciate your recognition to the effort and dedication demonstrated by our waiter Anthony Diffo as well as our bartenders Ramon “Fuego” and Luis Diaz.

Thank you for your valuable comments and I hope to have the opportunity to host you and your family again at this your second home, Paradisus Palma Real Golf and Spa Resort.

4,959 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (901)
New York City
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 24, 2012

I just returned from a fantastic family trip at the Paradisus Palma Real, Punta Cana. My Dad who is 88 years old and Mom, 85 invited my sister, her husband & son and myself and my husband for a big family trip. Mom requires a wheelchair and the place was extremely well set up for wheelchair access to every area, including the pool and beach. There was a lot of relaxing choices for everyone. My brother in law and nephew liked chess, and there was a nice board there. I took a lot of yoga classes, and my husband used the machines in the gym. My biggest compliment is to the wonderful staff who work so hard there, yet are extremely friendly and helpful. Anthony Diffo was extremely kind and hard working, very kind and patient with my elderly parents as were the two fantastic and lively pool bartenders: Luis Diaz and Ramon "Fuego" Bonilla. The three of these wonderful humans made the trip so special for all of us.

Room Tip: We all stayed in regular rooms which were very nice
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled with family
Rafael T, General Manager at Paradisus Palma Real, responded to this review, November 25, 2012
Dear guest,

I would like to express my gratitude for choosing us as your holiday destination as well for sharing your impressions about your recent experience.

I am proud to hear that our staff went above and beyond in their effort to offer you and your family a truly memorable stay. At the Paradisus Palma Real Golf & Spa Resort we have a commitment to provide quality service beyond our guests’ expectations, and it is a real pleasure for me to learn that we have achieved our goal. This definitely strengthens our philosophy of seeking the highest level of excellence.

Once again, thank you for share your impressions and we hope to have the pleasure to hosting you again at this, “your home away from home”.

Toronto, Canada
2 of 5 stars Reviewed November 24, 2012

Looking at the reviews my husband and I were excited for this vacation. We've been all over the Caribbean and to Punta Cana 2 times before. We paid almost 2K (From Toronto) and were expecting a 5star but were completely let down.
The timeshare salesmen were relentless, after we refused them 3 times they finally stopped harassing us. We paid a lot of money to go on vacation and that's the last thing we wanted.
The food was edible, nothing fancy. There was a variety of food but nothing spectacular. They also reheat the food from breakfast to lunch and sometimes into the dinner buffet.
The rooms were disgusting. I found hairs in the sheets and sinks. The toilet was clogged twice and the showers were not cleaned thoroughly.
The beach was the only redeeming factor was the beach, though I wish there were more sun huts. It was impossible to save one before 9am.

I

Dear Sanders,

Thank you for taking the time to air your concerns regarding your recent experience at our Paradisus Palma Real Golf & Spa Resort.

I deeply regret to hear that we did not fully exceed your expectations with some of our services. In Meliá Hotel’s International we believe that only by listening carefully to the comments and suggestions of our guests we are able to immediately detect areas for improvement and can therefore take actions instantly.

Once more thank you for your constructive criticism and you can rest assured that your observations were taken with the utmost consideration and discussed the issues to the corresponding departments in order to fine-tune our operation.

Toronto
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 23, 2012

Stayed at this resort because my wife won a radio contest along with 33 other winners and their companions.

Check-in:
Was smoothe but I would suggest when you get directions to your room to ask for the shortest route. In our case, we could have cut out 3/4 of the distance. Instead of walking around the horseshoe-shaped villas we could have walked across them.
The front-desk staff was always friendly and accomodating, Adriana in particular.

Rooms:
We had the basic Garden View Junior Suite which was grand. No need to upgrade.King-sized canopy bed, separate sitting area with desk, sofa and chandelier, three telephones...bedside, desk and washroom (in reach when on the toilet bowl)! Jacuzzi tub, spray jets in the shower, robes and slippers, adequate amount of hangars and the usual other amenities like ironing board, coffee maker etc. Nightly turn-down service is also provided.
If you do not have an umbrella in your room, request to have one delivered. It rained frequently at night.
When it rains heavily the villas' corridors become flooded so do some rooms (we were spared the inconvenience of having to switch rooms). It becomes a saftey concern when walking. Management should look into proper drainage.
We had excellent maid and room service.

Food:
Not all restaurants were open. I am guessing due to being still in the low season.
I must point out that the a la carte booking staff should inform the guests about any changes in restaurant restrictions. In our case we were allowed to book restaurants provided only for the upgraded rooms but only discovered this by chance.
Tried the Bana, Mizu and Vento a la cartes. They were commendable. Tha Naos buffet could have a bit more variety in the dinner and breakfast menu. Lunch was adequate.
Service at the a la cartes were admirable but the buffet was sketchy.

Entertainment:
Nightly theater shows were average, on par with other resorts we have visited.
Disco night and the Fire show/Beach party at Gabi Beach was fun.
Three of the anamacion team, Angel, Joangel and Jose were hilarious which made our stay so much more enjoyable.
Enjoyed the activities of water aerobics, finger-painting, brush painting, cocktail making, dance lessons, table-tennis, volleyball. There was also cigar rolling, sushi making, sand castle building, zumba, pilates, crazy games (didn't happen, couldn't round-up participants, I was the only one), tennis, kayaking, sailing etc.
Personally, I would like to see most of these activities performed in a more exposed area. Many guests are not aware of the activities taking place.

Property:
Three sections...
Royal Service (adults upgrade). Villas next to the Palma. Separate beach, pool area.
Reserve (family and kids upgrade). A little distance from the Palma. Own pool, restaurants, beach etc.
Palma Real (basic). Horse-shoe shaped with front desk, shops, casino, disco, restaurants etc. centrally located and villas in the horse-shoe.
Grounds are always well-kept.
We could have done without the zen-like music playing while walking through the grounds. A latin theme would be more enjoyable.

Bars:
Bartenders and waiters/waitresses were great. Very attentive.

Beach:
A bit dissapointing for the week we stayed. Lots of weed due to the recent storms.
Nice expanse of beachfront. Never a lack of loungers.

Pool:
Huge with swim-up bar but lacking deck area with covered loungers. Privacy seems to be the priority because almost all of the covered huts are hidden away from the view of the pool.

Overall, our stay was gratifying.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
Dear guest,

Thank you for having taken the time to write your comments after having stayed with us. In our effort to continuously improve the quality of our services and facilities, we put our greatest interest and value in our guests' opinion.

I assure you that all your observations were taken with the utmost importance since it is the only way that we can achieve the constant improvement that we strive for.

Thank you for extending us your experience and I look forward to have the pleasure to welcome you again at Paradisus Palma Real Golf & Spa Resort.

Chicago
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 23, 2012

Hello,

First let me state this property is Beautiful, the restaurants are very good and the staff in the restaurants and buffet are very friendly. Therefore I will give you a honest opinion from someone who has been to punta cana four times and has stayed in RIU Palace, Iberostar, properties in the past, here goes:

Pros:

The Hotel scenery is probably one of the best in Punta Cana, the appointment restaurants are very good I can't say I had a bad meal while I was there. The wait staff in the restaurants and morning buffet are excellent, very courteous and friendly, the bars are stocked with most US liquors but of course they use their own Bacardi and you have to pay for upgrade of grey goose vodka, even as VIP upgrade of the property. The rooms are very spacious and I personally would go with the regular junior suite than going to the reserve property because I like to be able to walk to the beach at my own will. The beach chairs, towels and pool area is very nice and accommodating for the most part, I will have some issues with this in my cons, below. My overall experience is I would go back with friends or couples now that I am aware of a few things.

Cons:
The "Vacation Concierge" they are basically people who are interested in your well being and setting you up on the premises only to pass you off to the Vacation Club/Timeshare people on the property for club melia. I have no problem with this only when we were not interested in the vacation club the Vacation Concierge we had, seem disinterested in us right after this process, then not sure if this was related, but our room didn't get cleaned for a day and then two days in a row I had to complain at the front desk to have towels put in the room after It was cleaned. I am not sure how you could clean a room and not put towels in there after you removed all of them. I would say the concierge name but not wanting to get him in trouble, but he practically ignored us for the rest of our vacation even when we saw him he would turn the other way or act like he didn't see us anymore, when before he would go out of his way to spot us out.

The bathroom in the rooms if you are not married, this would be a very uncomfortable setting for someone. You practically have no privacy in the bathroom from the view of the room, they have these wooden shudder partition that you can see right through into the bathroom, the toilet and showers, this must be a European thing, because I can't imagine a none married couple feeling comfortable with this. We solved the problem by putting up towels over the bathroom glass door and shower door for privacy, but only when we had towels...LOL

Because I was the only Apple vacation person onsite there was no Apple Vacation representative the entire stay of the vacation and when it came to depart, I tracked down my vacation concierge who was going to assist me with my transfer departure and asked me to go get my flight number which I did on the computer in VIP lounge once I came back he was gone so someone else had to look this up for me.

Overall:
Like I said the property is beautiful, however I am not to sure I would come back to this property again, there would need to be some serious motivation for me to re-visit this property again in any country that I visit. I can't say that I had a bad experience because I make the best of any Caribbean vacation as long as there is sun and a beach. However being a very experienced Caribbean vacationer, Mexico 7 times, Punta Cana 4 times, Bahamas 3 times, I must say my expectations were high considering the star quality this property was rated. I think the whole Vacation Concierge thing needs to be called what it truly is, a Pre-Vacation Club/Timeshare Representative.

I also noticed in these reviews prior to coming to the property a representative for Paradisus would comment but only to the positive comments and thanking them for sharing there experiences, I feel that you should reach out to not only the good, but also the bad to find out how you can do better and how you can keep vacationers coming to your properties. In my case I can honestly say I accounted 3 weddings and over 500+ guest staying at RIU properties because of my experience and word of mouth.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
Dear Guest,

Thank you for having taken the time to air your concerns after having stayed with us.

I deeply regret to learn that your stay with us was not up to what you expected. Exceeding the expectations of our guests and offer truly exceptional experiences is our goal. We know that in order to achieve this it is necessary to provide good service and attitude. We will be attentive to the behavior of our staff so as to avoid situations that lead us away from our goal.

Your observations have been addressed to my managing team in order to fine- tune on improvement areas.

5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 23, 2012 via mobile

I stayed at Palma real for my honeymoon and it was awesome, they gave us the best services ever.

I can't complain of anything, as soon as we arrived the hotel inform us the complimentary upgrade to a better suite.

Our room was just great! We love it. The service was awesome (Marcos and Domingo) assist us from the VIP lounge they were really nice.

We had dinner in two nice restaurants from the reserve (mizu and aqua) that was the best diner ever. Over there we had Mr. Martin Ubiera who is the manager over there that assist us and took care of us, he is a really nice person treat us very well and his staff (hamlet - this guy is very Profesional, and we also had another guys that did it very well.

At the end we didn't want to leave cause we were in heaven!

We love the hotel, if someone is considering go to this hotel we ( my wife and I) recommend.

We definitely are going again!!! ;-)

• Stayed November 2012
Dear Yolmis,

I would like to thank you for having chosen our Paradisus Palma Real Golf & Spa Resort as the place to spend such special occasion, your honeymoon.

It is truly a pleasure for me to learn that we have fulfilled all your expectations in our effort to bring you a memorable stay. I sincerely appreciate your respects on the efforts and dedication demonstrated by Martin Ubiera and Hamlet Rosa.

We will be awaiting to celebrate your first anniversary at this, your second home

Toronto, Canada
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 22, 2012

Hubby & I had won a trip with CHFI (Toronto) radio station along with 33 other couples/families. This hotel is classified as 5 stars & rightfully deserves the rating. We stayed during off season, so hotel was only at 50% capacity.

Property: There are 3 sections to the hotel; Royal Service (Adults only), Reserve (Families) & Palma Real (standard rooms). Our rooms were in the Palma Real section & did not see the need to upgrade. The overall property & amenities were spectacular & reception staff was always helpful and friendly.

Rooms: The bedrooms were quite large & luxurious with sitting area, small walk-in closet equipped with bathrobes, slippers & umbrella. We had exceptional maid service all week. Wi-Fi was spotty in the room & blackberry tablet only connected well in the lobby. Smartphone would connect with no problem whatsoever.

Beach: Great expanse of beach, but ocean was weedy due to nightly downpours we encountered almost daily.

Restaurants: Only one buffet; Naos restaurant was opened due to low season & breakfast was adequate but repetitive. The dinner buffet on Dominican night was disappointing & not up to 5 star standard. There was a lack of info regarding which Ala carte restaurants were available to the group, so we only dined at the following: Vento (Mediterranean), Bana & Mizu (both Teppanyaki). We missed out on Gabi Beach (Steak & Seafood) which we heard was excellent. The ones we ate at were very good & had great service at these restaurants.

Activities: A big shout out & thank you goes out to the Animacion team of Angel, JoAngel & Jose who worked hard all day making our stay so much more memorable. The hotel offered different activities we had not encountered at other hotels we had been to (finger/oil painting, sushi making, cigar rolling, sand castle building etc.) I participated in as many events as my schedule would allow & enjoyed them all.

Shows: The theatre shows were average, but Retro/Disco night & Beach/Fire night were loads of fun. Missed the Michael Jackson show as we checked in late on Saturday night. However, we thoroughly enjoyed the live bands & dancing in the lobby prior to & after the shows. Thanks again Animacion team for the daily dance lessons so we could practice every night in the lobby.

In closing, I would like to comment that we have on several occasions vacationed at the Riu chain of 5 star hotels, but PPR is the real deal with no comparison.
Besides meeting a whole bunch of new people & forming new friendships we were very appreciative for the opportunity to stay at PPR & hope to visit again sometime in the future.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled with friends
Dear Raquelita,

I would like to express my gratitude for having shared your impressions on this trip. At Paradisus Palma Real Resort we have a commitment to provide quality service beyond our guests’ expectations. This definitely strengthens our philosophy of seeking the highest level of excellence. Therefore I assure you that I took a good note of your observations.

I feel proud and grateful for your comments regarding to our Activities staff members Angel, Jose and JoAngel. It is thanks to our excellent team that we are able to accomplish our goal - the total satisfaction of our guests. You may rest assured that I will gladly pass on your compliments to them.

I look forward to have the pleasure to welcome you in the nearest future, at this “your home away from home”.

Paradisus Resorts Punta Cana

Been to Paradisus Palma Real? Share your experiences!