“Vacation with Friends and Family” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Iberostar Punta Cana

Save Saved
You added Iberostar Punta Cana to your Saves list
Iberostar Punta Cana
3.5 of 5 Resort (All-Inclusive)   |   Bavaro | Higüey, Punta Cana, Dominican Republic   |
Ranked #19 of 101 hotels in Punta Cana
washingtonpa
“Vacation with Friends and Family”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 16, 2012

Stayed at the Iberostar Punta Cana November 2 - 9th. There were 14 people in our group, ages ranging from 50 to 80. This was my 7th time to Iberostar Punta Cana since 2001. Since most of our friends have never been to Punta Cana, we chose this location because of it's size, location and great service on our previous trips.The hotel is nice,user friendly and has good food. The beach is one of the best around.

After checking in, we had a few problems with some of the rooms. The hotel manager, Helena Santos was contacted and all or our issues were resolved to our satisfaction. She checked back with us during the week to make sure we were being well taken care of. Everyone was able to enjoy their week, knowing anything we needed was quickly taken care of. Some of the folks needed a shuttle back to their rooms in the evening, and that was never a problem.

Melissa Foy assisted us in making dinner reservations for our large group, in three of the speciality restaurants. It was nice to be able to sit together at every meal. Melissa also booked a golf package at the Iberostar Bavaro for a few of people in our group. She checked to make sure we had no issues that needed attention.

Many thanks to Helena and Melissa for making our vacation without problems. Overall the Iberostar Punta Cana was a good value and was enjoyed by our group of friends. Give it a try. You will like it.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled with friends
IberostarHotelsRD, Quality Manager Iberostar República Dominicana at Iberostar Punta Cana, responded to this review, November 17, 2012
Dear Guest rickirwin,
Thank you very much for your loyalty towards Iberostar Punta Cana as your family holiday’s destination and also for posting a review about your seventh stay among us.
In the name of Mrs. Helena Santos, Hotel Manager, and her team, we would like to express how satisfied we are to hear that you and your family have experienced once again an unforgettable vacation due to our varied gastronomy, our clean and beautiful premises; the daily and nightly activities of our Star Friends and the friendliness of our whole team. As you well know, in Iberostar our main goal is turning your vacations into a memorable holiday. We have congratulated Ms. Melissa Foy for being part of your happy stay.
We are looking forward to welcome you back again, please feel free to contact us before your next vacations among us.

2,407 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (289)
  • Turkish first
San Francisco
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 12, 2012

This Hotel was really great and Our time here flew by. Melissa Foy helped Us get a room that met Our needs and She was really nice. The value here is amazing and there is a joyful happiness that permeates this place. The buffets were fine and there was always something good to eat-The Ocean Front Buffet has an unbelievable view. I loved La Pagoda where the food, service and decor were stellar. The only negative was La Sibila which had poor food and service but the decor was nice-it didnt really matter as We went to the buffet after Dinner. The entire place was very clean and the Staff couldnt be nicer. I loved Our room-the beds and pillows were so comfortable-The bathroom, shower and toiletries were awesome-The Maid Service was excellent-the decor was great-the room was big-the balcony had a view of the ocean-also there was great soundproofing. The grounds were a tropical paradise. Oh and the recently redone pool was incredible. There were always plenty of loungers at the pool and beach. When I asked for more Diet Coke and water it was re stocked very quickly and plentifully. The Dominicana which shares facilities with this Hotel was equally great but not as quiet as The IB Punta Cana and I would happily stay there as well. Iberostar has spent lots of money in upgrades at both of these Hotels and it shows. I checked out the IB Bavaro Suites and it looked kind of run down and in need of a renovation and paled in comparison to IB Punta Cana and Dominicana. The other cool thing is that if You want excitement You can go to The Dominicana which always has something going on and if You want quiet You have The Punta Cana. I was worried about noisy Kids but the there was no problem. I think this place would be great for Anyone. There was a laid back vibe and a Dominican sense of place.We also stayed at IB Grand Bavaro and had a day pass to The Hard Rock and I will review these Hotels separately. I liked Iberostar Punta Cana the best of all and hope to return. The crazy part is how low the price is. Also the beach was great and the People staying here were very diverse and nice. The TA reviews were right-this place is Great. One other thing-I would recommend booking this Hotel on a website that offers a no penalty cancellation in case Your plans change. STAY HERE!!!!!!!!!!!!

Room Tip: I would pay extra to get an Ocean View. Only some rooms have a couch I think They are called Family...
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
IberostarHotelsRD, Quality Manager Iberostar República Dominicana at Iberostar Punta Cana, responded to this review, November 16, 2012
Dear guest,
We would like to thank you for having chosen Iberostar Punta Cana for your holidays. In the name of Hotel Manager, Mrs. Helena Santos and her team, we thank you for taking the time to post a review about your stay among us.
We would like to express how glad we are to read that you had a great vacation due to our value for money, among many other reasons. We are motivated by your lines referring the beauty of our hotel, the wide range of gastronomy offered in our nightly themed buffet and five specialty restaurants, and the friendliness of our staff members. Those aspects are part of our commitments in Iberostar so we can ensure a memorable holiday to our beloved guests. We will congratulate Melissa for making your holidays especial.
We are willing to welcome you back again, please contact us to assist you for your next visit.
With best regards,
Montreal, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 11, 2012

The family (2 adults and 2 kids) stayed at the resort from nov.2--nov. 9 2012, and we absolutely loved it. Upon arrival, Hector at the reception made us feel so welcomed, he paid special attention to the children and when we had a special request regarding our room, he arranged everything for us. Every night the children before supper the children made a small detour just to go say hello to Hector and he remembered their names, it made them feel very special. The standard rooms are big enough for a family of four, like us. There are two identical pools, one with activities and a quieter pool for people who wish to relax. The breakfast buffet was good, had excellent croissant and nutella. The lunch buffet near the pool was good as well with pizza, hot dogs and hamburgers. They also cook on the grill every day, this is also near the activity pool. One day it was steak, another paella, another seafood......
We tried 3 restaurant: french (so-so) steak house (quite good) and the oriental ( very good).
The buffet at night has different themes (mexican, sushi, etc.) it was good. There are always the pasta bar every night at the buffet, the kids enjoy that. The mini club was appreciated by the kids, especially Eveling.. she was very nice and patient with all the kids. She actually played with them in the sand and the pool. The service was absolutely AMAZING. Everyone, right down to the gardener had a smile and a warm hola when you would meet them. Anytime we had a request, we always had a YES as an answer. I don't think they even know what "No, it is not possible" means. The rooms were very clean and I did inspect it. There is always someone passing a broom or mopping the floor in the public areas. We absolutely loved our vacation and would go back again. Keep up the good work Iberostar Punta Cana.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled with family
IberostarHotelsRD, Quality Manager Iberostar República Dominicana at Iberostar Punta Cana, responded to this review, November 12, 2012
Dear Guest,
We want to thank you for posting your comment in Tripadvisor about your experience at the Iberostar Punta Cana and for choosing our hotel for your family holidays.
In the name of the Hotel Manager, Mrs. Helena Santos and her team, we are glad to hear that you and your dear family enjoyed your visit to our grounds thanks to our exquisite gastronomy and the friendliness of our staff members, especially from Evelyn (Kidsclub Star Friend), Hector at the front desk and our gardeners. Both aspects are part of our guiding principles in Iberostar to ensure memorable stays to our beloved “stars” on vacation.
We are looking forward to welcome you back, please contact us before your arrival.
With kindest regards,
Southampton, England, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 14, 2012

me and my wife spent 2 weeks here for are honeymoon back in 2011 in august. the iberostar was fantastic on arrival we were upgraded to a junior suite and the room was fantastic massive bed for me and my wife fruit and rum in are and mini bar stocked daily after we tipped the cleaner to get it stocked daily. we had a lovely time food was fantastic and the la carte restraunts brilliant. cocktails and drinks served to us round the pool and the beach was fantastic.we booked up to wim with the dolphins and it was one of the greatest experinece ever we payed 170 dollers each for the middle pakage but it was well worth the money.the entertaiment team were great mr sexy man had me in stiches each days. how they stay so lively is beyond me as they are on the go 24 hours a day it seems like.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple
IberostarHotelsRD, Quality Manager Iberostar República Dominicana at Iberostar Punta Cana, responded to this review, October 15, 2012
Dear guest,
We thank you for choosing Iberostar Punta Cana to enjoy your honeymoon. On behalf of the Hotel Manager, Mrs. Helena Santos, we also thank you for taking part of your time to share your comments on Tripadvisor.
We are pleased to read that enjoyed an unforgettable experience in such as romantic and special occasion due to the excellent service from our friendly staff, as your visit was back in 2011. At Iberostar we want our dear guests to "enjoy being a star".
We look forward to welcoming you in the future; please contact us to help you enjoy your next stay with us.
Yours Sincerely,
new york city
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 25, 2012

Let me begin by saying that I have been to several resorts throughout the Dominican Republic. Iberostar, Punta Cana, was by far, the best resort experience that I had. It is a very large resort. You will have to walk a great deal to get around. The rooms are very good. cleanliness is outstanding, a mini bar with soda, water and beer at your disposal. If you can afford it. I recommend that you book one of the cottages. They are located at a quaint, quiet, area of the resort. The rooms are also considerably larger there and have king size beds. The regular rooms, I was told, have two full size beds.
This resort has several magnificent pools that are meticulously maintained by the staff. The only draw back to the pool, no pool bar. Atleast that was the case when I went to the Iberostar, Punta Cana. However, the main bar is wonderful with an assortment of liquors and beers. The beach is incredible. Beautiful blue water and white sand. It is by far, the most beautiful beach I have visited in D.R. The waves are sort of rough compared to other beaches, but it is so beautiful. The two large buffets are better than average with a wide assortment of food unlike other buffets located at other resorts which were so disappointing. The restaurants are very good with the exception of the mexican one. I, and most other persons did not really care for it.
You will not be disappointed at this resort. Many activities are provided at the beach, the pools, and at the nightly shows. Water games at the pools will have you laughing and excercising at the same time. An employee that my wife and I became friendly with, "Big Moma," was such a sweetheart and very funny. You can expect all of the staff to be friendly, always giving you an 'Ola.' Their were many families with children at Iberostar and they all appeared to be having the time of their lives. In fact, I actually witnessed families crying as they left the resort to be driven to the airport. Incredible. By the way, I would recommend that you fly to the Punta Cana airport. It is much closer to the resorts in that region of the country. Also, security is outstanding. You will be very safe inside of the resorts and quite honestly, their is no reason to leave. You will be kept busy all day with water activities during the day, and dancing, show activities during the evenings.
Make sure to bring confortable shoes for you will be walking a great deal.
What can I say. I had a wonderful time at this resort. So good in fact, that I got married there. Yes, it is true. So Iberostar, Punta Cana, will always have a special place in my heart. I will be going there again for my anniversary and both my wife and I cannot wait.
I highly recommend this resort. You will not be let down and it is a very good value for your money.

• Stayed November 2011, traveled with family
IberostarHotelsRD, Quality Manager Iberostar República Dominicana at Iberostar Punta Cana, responded to this review, September 27, 2012
Dear guest,
We would like to thank you for choosing Iberostar Punta Cana Hotel for you holidays and for taking time to write some comments about your stay among us.
In the name of the Hotel Manager, Mrs. Helena Santos and her team, we want to express you how satisfied we are to read that you had a wonderful stay thanks to the service provided by our friendly staff, to our varied gastronomy and the cleanness and beauty of our premises. Those are part of our guiding principles in Iberostar so our guests can “enjoy being a Star”. We will congratulate Big Mama for helping us to achieve our goal during your visit.
We hope to welcome you back soon. We are waiting for you to contact us in order to help you in your next visit.
Boston, Massachusetts
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 8, 2012

this resort is great, great food, great starz entertaiment. Very family friendly. They have awesome jacuzzi outside, but you need to make reservations to be able to use them. sitting in the jacuzzi under the palm trees was awesome!Enjoy your stay and dont listen to some negative reviews! Cheers

• Stayed October 2011, traveled as a couple
IberostarHotelsRD, Quality Manager Iberostar República Dominicana at Iberostar Punta Cana, responded to this review, September 10, 2012
Dear guest,
In the name of Mrs. Helena Santos, Hotel Manager, we thank you for choosing Iberostar Punta Cana for your holidays and for posting a review about your stay.
We would like to express you how glad we are to read that you have experienced an unforgettable holidays during your visit to our hotel premises due to the friendliness of our staff members and the beauty of our premises. In Iberostar we want our guests to “enjoy being a Star”.
We will be honored to welcome you back again; please write us a mail before your arrival,
With kindest regards,
Appleton, Wisconsin
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 8, 2012

We have been to Iberostar in Punta Cana for the last 6 years straight...always visiting in October with our next "7th" trip planned for this October. I've been reading reviews for years and we have been shocked when we see comments about bad service, food or the beach and have always thought we wouldn't bother posting a review since they seem so "inaccurate" sometimes! BUT, it's time we spoke!

We cannot say enough about this establishment. We traveled to Iberostar Punta Cana in 2006 with 10 family members for my dream “beach wedding” which was held in front of Iberostar-PC. We chose the hotel per a recommendation from a co-worker. The wedding was amazing and all of our guests raved about how wonderful it was! It far exceeded our expectations, especially for the amount we paid. Since then, we have been back each year for “adult only” trips and family trips with our 4 children (ages 11, 12, 13 and 17) and our parents who are in their 60’s. We have stayed a minimum of 7 days and up to 14 days on past trips and have stayed at Iberostar-Punta Cana and Iberostar-Bavaro and each trip has been AMAZING! As many other posts have said, the beach, culture and people are what make this hotel so amazing and are what keep us coming back year after year. Here are some key points I have to share:

Resort: Punta Cana and Dominican share the same grounds and Bavaro is located next to Dominicana. Renovations are done each year in the Sept/October timeframe (this is there slower time and is hurricane season), so they are constantly updating. Last year we stayed at a Punta Cana and they were doing some major renovations at Dominicana. The staff was very accommodating during the renovations. This year they are doing renovations at Punta Cana. In past years during renovations, we have been upgraded to Bavaro. This shows that the hotel is doing everything they can to keep the hotel up-to-date AND keep their guests happy. So for those who comment about construction…it is to be expected if you want to keep things updated!
As for Bavaro, it has its own Lobby and several more restaurants. Both are beautiful. The additional plus to Bavaro is the pool bar, a beach bar and the additional restaurants you have to choose from. Only comment on the pool bar is that it would be nice if they kept the kids out of the portion of the pool closest to the bar (many adults don’t like kids splashing while they are trying to drink at the bar).

Rooms: Rooms are sufficient. For the little time you spend in your room they are more than enough. Spacious room, refrigerator, hair dryer, nice shower…what more do you need? Bavaro rooms are slightly larger than PC/Dominicana and are in a complex of 8 rooms versus the hotel style of PC/Dominicana. You are greeted with fresh fruit, beautiful towel decorations and fresh picked flowers. You can request restocking of certain drinks for your refrigerator. Keep in mind that some staff may not speak your language, so if you don’t get what you want, try to make a more clear note….”dos agua” – two water or put an empty bottle with a note on it for “maas” (more). Rooms also have a safe, get the code or key from the front desk at check-in. We have had problems locking our safe in the past but they have been helpful in getting it open (just be patient…there are lots of guests). We also had an instance where we left our safe open when we left for the day. The maid locked it and made note to the front desk to inform us that we left it opened. I can’t imagine many other places that would have done that (in fact I have known other places that would have cleaned the safe out!).

People: We cannot say enough about the people of the Dominican! And the hotel staff are some of the finest. We were lucky enough to meet several of the PC/Dominicana management staff and cannot say enough about them and their employees. Kawana, Francisco, David, Hector and Yoselina truly care about their guests and consider them “family”. For those who have commented about the unfriendly staff, maybe it’s that they didn’t understand your language or maybe it’s your perception? We have seen the staff bend over backwards for some unruly guests and they have done it with a smile on their faces. We have always received a warm greeting and a warm smile from the many workers who are doing all they can to make your stay enjoyable. Last year the staff hosted a beach party that allowed guest to interact with staff. They taught guests how to make the beautiful towel decorations you find in your rooms and taught people about culture and dance of the Dominican.
And now for the “Star Friends”….WOW! I don’t know where to begin. Alex and Pantera “ran the show” at PC/Dominicana. They along with their staff are some of the hardest working, talented and amazing people we have met. We just wonder when they sleep?! Since we have done the “family vacation” and “adult only” we have been able to do everything, and do nothing! With our kids we did every activity and had a ball. Not only did our kids really bond with the start friends, we did too!! And on our adult vacations we just relaxed. They ask you to participate in activities but if you aren’t interested you just tell them you just want to relax and they won’t ask you again. If they think you might have an interest they will encourage you, to make your vacation as fulfilled as they can! Joel was an amazing star friend who took time to help us with Spanish lessons and answer our many questions about the Dominican. He exchanged “friendship bracelets” with our daughter (we even saw he was still wearing it a week after our children flew back home and we were still there)! That’s when we realized he wasn’t just “trying” to be nice by exchanging bracelets with her, he really cared. He showed up early the day the children departed to say good bye, and even called our daughter for us (and let us talk to her) to ensure they made it back safely! He is truly a unique, kind, and caring person that we would be honored to call a friend. Sexy Man (Amelio) is an extremely talented dancer and our kids loved him. Santo is another person that spent a lot of time talking with us and our children. In the U.S. people don’t normally care about others unless there is something “in it for them”. That’s not the case in the Dominican. People really do seem to care about other people.

Food: We’ve been reading reviews on food for years and they are from one end of the scale to the other. First off take the advice of my doctor….if your body isn’t used to you eating/drinking a certain way, it and will protest. So, take it easy and remember: fruity drinks are a natural laxative; ENSURE you don’t drink water from the sink, brush your teeth with it or get it in your mouth when you shower (the water they serve in the restaurants is safe to drink); be cautious with the amount of fresh fruits/vegetables you eat. We didn’t consider these things our first year and paid for it! Travelers diarrhea is very common, but can be avoided if you plan for it. More info can be found: http://wwwn.cdc.gov/travel/yellowbook/2010/chapter-2/travelers-diarrhea.aspx
To summarize from this site: for prevention of Travelers Diarrhea use bismuth subsalicylate (BSS), which is the active ingredient in Pepto-Bismol. Studies from Mexico show (taken daily two chewable tablets four times per day) reduces the incidence of TD from 40% to 14%. BSS commonly causes blackening of the tongue and stool and may cause nausea, constipation, and rarely tinnitus. In addition to all of us taking Pepto per their instructions we always bring along a prescription for Cipro in case someone does get sick. So Pepto is preventative, Cirpro antibiotic is once you have it. Better to be safe than sorry. The hotel also has a doctor’s office if you should get sick on your vacation.
As for the food they offer, it really depends what you are on vacation for…if you want to eat gourmet food every day of the week maybe a cruise ship is for you. The food here is very good, but it’s all about your expectations. The buffet's at both are great, you just need to eat what you like, not complain when you eat something you don't. The gourmet restaurants are wonderful, again, you need to select those that offer the food you enjoy. Our favorites include Bavaro’s: LaCoupla (amazing steaks and lobster salad), Mediteranian & Jambolia; and Punta Cana/Dominicana’s: LaSibila ("romantic dinner night" with amazing lobster), LaPogoda (Oriental with amazing appetizers. The Star Rock Café is more of an American fare and is also good (again, depends what you’re looking for). As others have said, book your “reservation restaurants” when you arrive to ensure you get to the ones you want, when you want too. If you would like to go to an extra restaurant, just ask. If there is availability, they normally let you attend more than you are allotted for your stay.

Beach: Nothing less than amazing. White sand that feels like powder sugar and a beautiful clear blue ocean. That said, if the ocean is stirred up (we have been there before and after a tropical storm), the ocean can stir up coral that washes onto the beach and is floating in the water. The beach cleaning crew does an amazing job raking morning and night to keep the beach clean, but there are times when it’s impossible to keep up. BUT this is not a constant issue, it’s due to the ocean at the time you are there, so if you’ve seen this, come back again, it’s NOT always like that. The same is said for the waves. We’ve always come at the same time (in Mid-Late October) and the waves have ranged from a couple fee to HUGE waves that washed away parts of the shoreline. Also, we have been on both sides of the island (we went on a dive trip to the other side of the Dominican); and Bavaro Beach is BY FAR the most beautiful beach we have ever seen. (In fact we read somewhere it was one of the top 5 beaches in the world!) The other side of the island is very rocky.

Water Sports: If you like to snorkel there is some amazing coral and fish right in the swimming area of the hotel. So, you don’t need to pay for a snorkel excursion unless you really want too. One of our favorite spots to snorkel is in front of Bavaro close to lifegaurd station, east of dive boat. We’ve seen all kinds of underwater life there and love to take our kids there. We have also taken advantage of the Catamaran (you are allowed 1 hour per day per room). If you are new to catamaraning you may want to purchase the insurance…we’ve seen a few flip over.  It’s a great way to see the entire shoreline and is easy once you get the hang of it. My husband and I have each taken 2 of our kids out and they LOVED it. It is now a ritual we do every day while we are there. They also offer sea kayaks, wind-surfboards, snorkeling equipment. These items are free for guests to use. If you are a diver you will love Dressel Divers located on the beach between Bavaro and Dominicana. We normally bring our dive mask and snorkel and rent the rest (too much weight in the suitcase to bring the rest). It is something like $18 USD for wetsuit, fins, BCD, regulator, etc. The staff is amazing (from the photographer, Eveliene; to the Dive Master Roman and all the staff). We were certified there a few years ago (and would recommend it to others) and have gone on multiple dive trips since. If you are a diver, but haven’t dove in a while they will give you a dive review to ensure you are comfortable. As for dive sites, there are several just off the beach including a ship wreck and several reef’s that are great for seeing fish and other sea creatures. I recommend you book any excursion directly from Dressel Divers and if you book in advance of your vacation you get a discount. In addition to local excursions they offer trips such as Saona Island.

Miscellaneous Tips: Bring a mini Spanish dictionary for reference. Due to the humidity rooms can smell musty, bring room freshener if that smell bothers you. A underwater camera is great for taking pictures while you are on the catamaran or near the water (not just under it). Bring cash for the visitor fee that will be due when you land in Punta Cana (it was $10 pp in the past) and tip money. Bring plenty of suntan lotion & sun glasses. We have brought bug spray in the past but haven’t needed it in October. The temperature is always warm, so light clothing for during the day and a light sweater for the evenings. The grounds are very slippery so don’t bring high heals ladies! Stick with flats or go bare foot until you get to the main lobby and then put your shoes on. Cannot tell you how many people we have seen fall when we’ve been there. They have done some things to try to help, but with the humidity, the concrete is always wet so BE CAREFUL! If you have longer hair you may want to consider getting braids. It keeps you cooler and keeps hair out of your face in the wind and water. Just don’t forget to put sunscreen on your head between your braids! Tips are not expected but if you choose to give them, they are appreciative. There is an on-site “day care”, when our kids were younger they loved it.

Sorry for the long review, but for those of you who chose to read it all, I hope it’s helpful! And maybe we will see you in October!

Room Tip: It is more quiet on the 2nd floor and you can avoid some critters from crawling under the door if yo...
  • Stayed October 2011, traveled with family
IberostarHotelsRD, Quality Manager Iberostar República Dominicana at Iberostar Punta Cana, responded to this review, September 17, 2012
Dear Guest,
On the behalf of Mrs. Helena Santos, Hotel Manager, we would like to thank you for your loyalty towards Iberostar Punta Cana and Dominicana hotels for your vacation and for taking time to write a review in Tripadvisor about your several stays among us.
We would like to express how satisfied we are to read that your motivating words about the beauty of our premises and the care we give, the wide variety of our gastronomy in our five specialty restaurants, nightly themed buffet and snacks, and the excellent service provided by our team (especially from those whom you named in the review: Francisco, David, Hector, Yoseline, Alex, Pantera, Emilio and Joel). As you are used to, In Iberostar Hotels and Resorts our basic principles are to provide the best service, to offer a delightful gastronomic experience and to be settled in the beach beaches around the world.
We are already looking forward to see you in our facilities, please feel free to contact us again before, so we can assist you.
With regards,

Been to Iberostar Punta Cana? Share your experiences!