“Great Honeymoon Destination” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Majestic Colonial Punta Cana

You added Majestic Colonial Punta Cana to your Saves list
Majestic Colonial Punta Cana
4.0 of 5 Resort (All-Inclusive)   |   Playa Arena Gorda Bavaro, Punta Cana, Dominican Republic   |
Ranked #35 of 102 Hotels in Punta Cana
USA
“Great Honeymoon Destination”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 21, 2007

I researched many possible honeymoon destinations for several months prior to finally deciding on the Dominican Republic and my wife and I were certainly very pleased that we did. We honeymooned from 05/14 thru 05/19 and this resort and it is absolutely fantastic in my opinion and I've never been around people that were so polite and freiendly as the staff is at the Majestic. Below are some of my observations and recommendations:

1. If possible bring with you air deodorizer that will eliminate mildew odor. We had a lower level room and it smelled a little musty. We purchased a scent candle at the gift shop that helped a little, but I would have loved to have had a can of good old fashioned Lysol. Overall, it wasn't bad enough to register a complaint.

2. Insects were not a problem either. However, I would recommend bringing a small can of bug killer as at times we did notice these tiny little ants crawling around near the mini frige. Overall though, they were not a big enough problem to register a complaint as they eventually just disappeared.

3. The staff does not expect tips but these folks are always on the ball, very polite and try very hard make sure your needs are met. We tipped a lot mainly because the serivice was exceptional. We tipped anywhere from $2 to $5 depending on what service they provided. We asked for 2 extra bath towels once and from that point foward we always had 2 extra ones without asking after housekeeping cleaned the room. Again, the service is great and tips are apprecitated and well deserved IMO.

4. The food is your standard buffet fare. Not great, but not bad either. Breakfast is very good. Lunch is okay and dinner is okay. The Japonese restaurant is very good and I recommend it. We did not get the chance to try the seafood restaurant, but the dishes that I saw looked very good. The steaks at the steakhouse were good too.

Overall, we had a great time and will return to this resort. Our main objective was to honeymoon somwhere where we could simply relax and the Majestic certainly allowed us to do that. Hope my information helps!

• Liked — The service
  • Disliked — Mildew odor in room
    • 5 of 5 stars Check in / front desk

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (2,456)
blacks harbour
3 of 5 stars Reviewed May 20, 2007

This hotel would be perfect for couples and people who are trying to rekindle their marriage. As a 21 year old single woman I was a bit bored at times BUT that changed due to the great people that they have on staff. These people were always seen on the beach in the morning, at the pool in the evenings and at the shows and bar at night. They dance with you, converse with you and are very pleasant to be around. Their names are: Nelson, Kiko, Ray and Sandy. I want to
say thank you to these people in particular for making my stay a pleasant one. Their outgoing nature and abiliy to make me laugh was priceless. I hope that they are rewarded for the work that they do.

• Stayed May 2007, traveled with family
    • 5 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 3 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
Woodbridge, Ontario
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 20, 2007

Just returned from a week at the Majestic in May 2007 and my bride and I enjoyed ourselves throughly.
The MC is a clean medium sized resort with a stunning beach, huge clean pool and a good selection of different foods at the many restaurants.
The staff were friendly and very quick in the main buffet hall but tended to be slow at the bars. Also, you best learn some Spanish as the staff only know limited English and asking for a drink with crushed ice proved to be near impossible.
That brings me to the down side of this resort...the frozen drinks at the bars are pre-made in "slushy" machines and in the 85 degree heat are not even close to refreshing. The MC should invest in some heavy duty blenders and produce a bigger selection of frozen concoctions.
Our room was beautiful, third floor with an ocean view but was always very damp. We spoke to a few others and heard others with the same problem and some without.
The maid did a great job the first couple of days and despite us leaving daily tips for her, service went downhill as the week went on (forgot to replace glasses, towels, etc.)
Took one excursion to Sanona Island which we were told was a short ride by bus and a beautiful unspoiled island. Well we enjoyed it but a short ride it was not. Left the MC at 7:30am and returned at 7:30pm! As far as the island goes....the beach was more populated than the resort and lots of locals selling their wares and massages. It's funny when you think of it, the locals make a trip by boat to the island each day to solicit the captive tourists.
All in all the Majestic is a beautiful place and we may return to Punta Cana someday but we have had better experiences in Mexico on the Mayan Rivera. (going to submit some reviews on the Mayan)

• Liked — The beach and pool
  • Disliked — the damp room and lack of blenders at the bars
Southern New Hampshire
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 19, 2007

This was our second stay in the Dominican Republic. The first time was eleven years ago in Puerto Plata, this visit to the Majestic Colonial in Punta Cana.
We truely enjoyed this visit much more than the first. This trip was for our 20th wedding anniversary.

We finally arrived on May 2nd. We were originally scheduled to arrive on May 1st but trouble with one of the planes caused us to miss a connection in Atlanta, so or trip was changed to Wednesday to Wednesday instead of Tuesday to Tuesday.
We booked through Cheapcaribbean and we very happy with almost everything, except the guaranteed free room upgrade we were supposed to get. At check in the hotel gave us a standard pool view room. After speaking with several hotel people, the Cheapcaribbean rep, and finally the hotel manager we were moved the next day into a pool swim out room. From then on it was pretty much smooth sailing except for a few minor issues.

From arrival at the airport until check in at hotel was approximately 2 hours total. At check in we were given nicely scented cool faceclothes and a very nice fruit drink. The staff as very friendly.
The rooms are beautiful and very clean. Bed are firm, but comfortable, pillows are flat and we needed 3 to equal our 2 at home. The towels are very large as well as the room jaccuzi tub. We always had plenty of hot water except for two days on the weekend when the water was only warm when we were getting ready for supper (around 6pm).
Our room was always cleaned by late morning, but we only had one towel figure of a Swan when we checked into the room. No others were made even though we tipped the maid daily. Also our room fridge was only stocked twice the whole week we were there and we had to ask both times and also left a tip.
We had no ants or any other type of bugs in our room. There was a slight musty smell when we first checked in , but we never noticed it again during our stay. The rooms are pretty sound proof except when someone is actually walking by your room, then voices can be heard. The air conditioning works great!

The pool is very large and beautiful! I think it is the nicest one we have seen. It is also very warm (about 86 degrees) and very, very clean. We brought two pool floats from home and it was great to just lay in them in the nice water and relax!

The beach is beautiful! Pretty white sand, beautiful blue, warm water and very, very clean! There were always plenty of lounge chairs, although if youe would like some in the shade get to the beach before 10am. We brought 45 and 30 SPF sunscreen, but I think the 45 was a little too much (we wanted to get a little tan), so we used the 30 the entire time. Next time I would bring 15 and 30.

The food was so-so. I will say it seemed to get better the longer we were there, lol. The orange juice and croissants, as well as the cooked to order eggs were good at breakfast.
Lunch had pastas, salads, pizza, etc. and was pretty okay.
We loved the Steakhouse the best. Next would be the Seafood, followed by chinese, the main buffet, and the mexican last. We never ate at the Japanesse or the French Gourmet.
The drinks were also so-so. Nothing tasted the same as it does back home, but you adjust. The presidente beer is good.
We never got sick the entire trip other than a little heartburn or indigestion once in a while, but we were very carefully not to drink any water other than bottled. We even brushed our teeth with the bottled water. We also took Acidopyllis (Sp?) tablets for two weeks before the trip and while we were there.

We only saw two nightly shows, the international, which was not very good and the Michael Jackson which we thought was very good.
Most of the staff is very nice and tries to please. A few had a who cares attitude.
My husband did the Parasailing and loved it! It was his first time. It cost $45.00 for one or $80.00 for two. For an extra $14.00 you could purchase a disc of photos taken during your trip (which we did). They do not allow extra people to go in the boat to watch. I was disappointed about that!

We also had a private photo session with Leo, one of the resort photographers. He is Excellent! It was the best thing we did during the trip! The pictures are very good and well worth the money! Leo is such a nice person and a super photographer!

The last thing I want to mention is to be sure to bring plenty of cash for sovenoirs, tips etc. because while we were there the ATM machine in the hotel lobby was out of money for three days and the store will NOT accept credit cards. So, be prepared.

Overall, it was a very nice trip and we hope to get back to the Majestic again in the near future.

• Liked — The rooms, Pool and beach
  • Disliked — Food and No credit cards accepted!
    • 3 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
New York City
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 18, 2007

All I have to say is fantastic!! We arrived on May 7-13th and it was the best week I've had this year. My friend and I (both single women) did not know what to expect going in, especially that it seemed that many couples visited the resort. We were hesitant, but decided to give it a try. Best idea I've had in a while. Not only was the resort beautiful, but the staff was amazing, the food was close to impeccable and we made some great friends (singles, couples, staff etc...). The rooms were very nice and quite large compared to other chain hotels/resorts.

The disco was fun, but only until about 12:30 or 1, when people started to leave, whether to go out on the town or just back to the room. On themed nights ( tropical night, 70's-80's night), there were more party goers who stayed out later and the entertainment staff did a great job every night of getting everyone involved. You know who you are Nelson, Tyson, Rey, Samuel and the rest of the team!

The shows performed were good, but the theater is open and it could be a little stuffy with all the humidity and drinking. We ended up skipping most of the shows.

Please do not miss the pool, that's where most of the action takes place, between the Taki Taki dance, water polo, grab the towel and salsa lessons it was always a delight to be there and, of course, the pool bar.

Best restaurant was the Rodeo Grill. It's perfect, right on the beach with the best chateubriand I've had in awhile. The buffet by the lobby was also great for all meals (although we always missed breakfast) and the food was exceptional.

Security is pretty tight so outsiders (such as straggling vendors on the beach) are kept at a minimum.

There are vendors who arrive on Thursday and try to sell you souvenirs. They are pretty aggressive and you can barely walk by without them coming up to you. They were located to the right of the water fountains.

I think this a great resort for all travellers and should not be missed!

• Liked — The entertainment (a.k.a. Animation) staff
  • Disliked — Nothing
  • Stayed May 2007, traveled with friends
    • 5 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 4 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
Washington DC, District of Columbia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 18, 2007

I want to start out with some tips so they stand out:
*Don't cash in your American money... you can use it everywhere
*Try to brush up on a bit of Spanish
*Bring snacks (like chips or candy) with you
*There is a $10 entrance fee, and supposedly a $20 exit fee (though we did not pay this)
*Bring single $1 bills for tips
*Make dinner reservations as soon as you get there
*Make water activities reservations as soon as you can
*No need to bring a beach towel

My Fiance and I went there for a short 6 day stay. The resort was amazing. Clean, modern, friendly, and we got upgraded to an ocean view room! All the staff was very friendly, but the ones who don't interact with travelers that much didn't speak too much english. The mini bar is free, and stocked everyday, but we found ourselves wanting a snack before bed, and had to buy a small bag of doritos for $3. I would suggest that you bring along any snacks that you might want, cause there isn't "snacky" food.

Be prepared for an hour and a half ride from the airport to the hotel. The ride is actually only 25 minutes, but the shuttle will stop at every hotel along the way to drop other passengers off. There are speed bumps at all the hotels, so if you get car sick easily, as I do, I'd suggest taking a taxi. We took a taxi on the way back from the resort to the airport and only paid $20... well worth it to not start my travel back home being car sick.

The buffets had a good selection, though alot of it was seafood. The quality of the food wasn't that great either, but not terrible. We never got a chance to eat at the Japanese restaurant presentation tables because every night was already booked by the time we tried to make reservations. If you are going to go eat at the Japanese restaurant (just a table without presentation), be prepared for very loud and annoying screams and shouts from the presentation rooms. We did not find this to be very nice while we were trying to eat dinner. We went to El Rancho twice... the first time was absolutely excellent... but the second time was sub par. The fast food place at night offers "chicken wings" which were actually joints of chickens with small peices of meat on them... not that impressive!

Do not cash in your American money for pesos... every place we went to accepted dollars, and you get a better rate. And although this is an all inclusive resort, people still expect tips...don't be fooled that you don't need tip money. But a single dollar is like magic.

The beaches were AMAZING!!! We didn't have any problem getting a chair, but maybe we were there on off peak time. If you walk to the left of the beach for about 20 minutes, the beach there is absolutely pristine!! No need to pack your own beach towel either, because you are given a card at check-in that you exchange for a beach towel. You can exchange the towels as many times as you need to, and then get the card back at he end to return to the front desk. I suggest the massage on the beach. Olga was amazing, and I was SOOO relaxed afterward!

The excursions we did were: parasailing, snorkeling, swimming with sharks and stingrays, and horseback riding.
The parasailing was nice, and I think we were in the air for 10-15 minutes... longer than any other parasailing trip i've ver done, except there isn't much to see once you're up there. THe snorkeling was fantastic! We swam with sharks and stingrays, which they say is "safe", but when you're swimming over them, it feels really dangerous knowing that these are wild creatures... it was very exciting to say the least! Last, the horseback riding: It was nice, we rode on Macao beach, and got lots of pics. The horses though, were not very well taken care of and I felt very bad for them. We did the 1 hour package, and my butt was killing me when I was done... so if you're not a seasoned rider, go for the 1 hour vs the 2 hour tour.

Oh, one last thing.... the markets. Just say NO! Never pay the price they ask. go down at least half. THey are very pushy and want to make the sale. You can walk to the marketplace in 5-10 minutes from the resort. It is located just outside the front gate. I would not suggest going past there on your own though... it did not seem very safe.

Overall, we thought the resort was really nice. We had a good time and relaxed. That's exactly what we went for!

• Liked — Ocean view room was spectacular!
  • Disliked — Lack of privacy for the bathrooms
    • 5 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 4 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
Charlotte, NC
1 of 5 stars Reviewed May 17, 2007

I stayed at the Majestic Colonial for a girl's weekend trip in May. I have to say the service we received there was less than desireable.
It took us over an hour to check-in. Once we finally received our room key and open the door, a man was coming out of the shower! My girlfirend trekked back to reception (and she speaks Spanish fluently) only to wait another 30 minutes to speak to someone about the room being occupied and ONLY then to argue with him for another 20 because he didn't believe her when she said the room was already occupied. The fella who helped us with the luggage stayed with us because he thought it would only take a few minutes for the my girlfirend to get another room, but after waiting for 45 mins he went down to reception to see what was going on. It was only after he went down and told the front desk that the room was occupied did we get another room. Once everything was done it took almost 2 1/2 hours to check in! Unbelievable!!

If that wasn't enough, my luggage was ransacked and money was stolen out of my suitcase. It was buried so deep in my belongings (I took enough clothes and shoes for a month) that just before I discovered the theft we noticed that the room wasn't cleaned properly. No fresh towels or wash cloths. The sink wasn't cleaned, floor wasn't swept, the bed was barely made. No doubt, because our belongings were being searched when the room was supposed to be cleaned. To make a very LONG story short, my girlfriend called the front desk to speak with the hotel manager, and after being passed around from person -to-person like a joint, she finally got someone and when she asked who it was that she was speaking with, the person had the audacity to say "DADDY YANKEEE". Needless to say... we were not in the least pleased. It took over 6 hours to get some sort of resolution -- after to talking to 1/2 dozen people. In the 5th hour of this ordeal, I was offered an upgrade on a room the next time I stayed there...AS IF I would go back to a place where my belongings were stolen. In the 6th hour, just before I was ready to leave, they finally agreed to pay for my spa treatment. Oh, by the way for those of you that were wondering...the safe was broken.

I love the Dominican Republic, I go often...however, I will NEVER stay at that hotel ever again.

• Liked — The beach and the pool
  • Disliked — Customer service was horrible
  • Stayed May 2007, traveled with friends
    • 1 of 5 stars Check in / front desk

Been to Majestic Colonial Punta Cana? Share your experiences!