“Great stay at the Majestic - we loved it!!” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Majestic Colonial Punta Cana

You added Majestic Colonial Punta Cana to your Saves list
Majestic Colonial Punta Cana
4.0 of 5 Resort (All-Inclusive)   |   Playa Arena Gorda Bavaro, Punta Cana, Dominican Republic   |
Ranked #17 of 101 Hotels in Punta Cana
Phoenix, Arizona
“Great stay at the Majestic - we loved it!!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 8, 2009

This is a slightly belated review as we stayed in the end of June/beginning of July. I have read many reviews and spent numerous hours researching hotels in Punta Cana before booking this hotel. I am glad we chose the Majestic. We are frequent visitors to the DR and this place was one of the best so far. It offers affordable luxury and is a great value for the price. We are a family of two adults and two small kids (6 & 4) and it is an ideal place for a family with kids. If offers just the right combination of amenities for kids to be busy and entertained and for adults to relax and enjoy the vacation.
The kids club was great. The employees there worked tirelessly to entertain the kids and keep them busy in a safe and clean environment. Big thanks to Kelvin, Tito, Aracelis and Ivelise - they are my heroes! Be sure to attend the mini disco every day at 8:30 pm with the kids it's a lot of fun.
Everything else in the hotel was perfect. The food was always fresh and tasty, there was a tremendous selection every day, even our picky eaters always found yummy things to eat. We frequented the buffet mostly, but the other restaurants were good too. The alcohol was OK, we didn't drink much at the bars but what we drank was typical all-inclusive fare, not too strong. Our room was very nice, with no housekeeping problems. The pool and the beach are excellent, clean, sparkling pool that spans through out the resort with tons of shade and sitting area. The beach is unbelievable, one of the best Punta Cana has to offer.
The service was excellent, granted my husband speaks Spanish, he was treated like a king, but many employees spoke some English as well and understood my requests. The staff is extremely had working and dedicated. Thank you to all the waiters and servers at the restaurants, Nelson their supervisor, all the housekeeping ladies, front desk and everybody else there.
In conclusion, it's a great family resort. I would return again and warmly recommend it to anyone. Your vacation is as great as you make it, enjoy!

• Stayed July 2009, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (2,472)
Calgary, AB, Canada

Colonial majestic

All the reveiws are correct, the resort is beutifull, and service is increadable. We had a few surprises both good and bad.
The food: The mexican, seafood, steakhouse and asian resturants were all very good. I particulary enjoyed the tapiyaki grill. Try to make a reservation the first day you are there because the waiting list is five days in the off-season. At the mexican restruant we ordered the dinner for two. It was a variety of all regions of Mexico. The texmex is weakest,....so do not expect a good taco. The moles and other dishes more than made up for this. The steakhouse is as good as everyone says, plus there is a wonderfull ocean veiw. The Lobster at the seafood restruant was very tasty. Please note it is a Carabean lobster that is split vertically down the middle and grilled with a cream sause. The visual appearance can be shocking if you are expecting a north atlantic lobster tail. Luch service was tasty too. The cheeseburger was juicy, it tasted like a burger before we got concerned with colesteral. Now for the bad the French restruant was vastly over-rated. We had a 9:30 reservation and the staff made it awear through their lack of enthusiasm that they were closing soon. For dessert I ordered the Creme Brulee. I received a cold creme pudding that had not been broiled/brulee. Overall the dinning was very good, but I would avoid the french restruant.

Service: Very attentive, and they try very hard. The staff's english is not as strong as in other countries like Mexico. I feel that in Mexico they understand english, but want you to speak spanish. In the Domican their english is weak, but they realy want to understand you. A word or two of spanish and a hand gesture and they will promptly figure it out. Bad...we only had a bath mat 3 out of the 7 day we stayed there, and face cloths don't exist.

Grounds: simply beutifull. The flowers were constantly bloom, and the gardens were constantly being manicured. The beach is powdery white sand, and the water is calm. We always had a pallapa even one day when we did not make it to the beach till eleven. But to be on the safe side I would get your towel before breakfast, and place them on a lounger with a palapa before breakfast.

Wonderfull vacation can't wait to go again.

Toronto, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 7, 2009

We travelled to the Majestic Colonial for our first year wedding anniversary and I have to say, it was one of the best trips ever! Although there seem to be a lot of negative reviews from other travellers about this location, we did not experience anything disappointing about this resort in general.

We booked the Chameleon Gold package through Nolitours and the price was quite good. This package has some extra perks that may or may not be important to you such as private check in, champagne in your room (although you can get bottles of champagne at most of the bars), preferred room placement and a wider variety of premium alcohol such as Canadian Club, Bailey's, Khalua etc. I have divided this review into some areas which I feel are important and which I often look for when travelling.

Check in: Upon arrival to the hotel ( a fairly short drive from the airport), we were greeted by Hilario who facilitated our check in. Hilario was absolutely wonderful and we were even given a room upgrade upon request as I believe that the hotel was not quite full. Check in went very smoothly and we did not have to wait very long for our room to be ready. This was a plus as we had arrived on an early flight and I was expecting that we would have to wait quite some time before we could get in to our room. We were then introduced to Juan who escorted us to our room with our bags. Juan was so friendly and accomodating. He gave us a mini history and culture lesson on the Dominican Republic as well as pointed out some interesting features of the resort to help us get aqauinted. He also seemed to remember us for our entire two week stay and would happily wave and call out to us whenever we saw him. Such a nice guy.

Rooms: The rooms are large and very nice. If you plan to spend a lot of time in the pool, a swim up room is definitely worth it. The view is beautiful and you can literally step out of your room and over a small patch of grass and you are in the pool. It was also nice having the lounges on the patio as we spent a few days taking naps in the shade out there. We did not use the jacuzzi outside as it was too hot to sit in a tub but it was nice to have to store our pool floats in. I agree with some of the other reveiws which say that this resort is mainly for couples due to the bathroom situation. The tub is in the middle of the room and the toilet is a small stall with a glass door which yes perhaps does not allow for a lot of privacy but since I was travelling with my husband, this did not bother us at all. The bed was really big and although it was not as comfortable as my mattress at home, you can't expect to have all of the comforts at home when you are travelling anyways. There were lots of different pillows to choose from and we did not have any issues. There is a couch and a desk as well which were nice touches. The place was clean but not completely spotless. I guess the maids could have wiped down the shower doors and walls of the bathrooms after the last guest but this was not a huge deal. If you are the type of traveller the goes to hotels with the intention of doing the "white glove test", then you may never be pleased with any accomodations. The room in general was far more comfortable then a standard hotel room that you may be used to in North America.

Beach: This is definitely the best beach out of all of the other resorts that we visited. The sand is white and soft and there is usually a nice breeze to help keep you from over heating. We walked up and down the beach to the other resorts and were able to compare. Some of the other resorts are on parts of the beach with a lot of seaweed (makes the beach look dirty) or with rocky areas. Some also have smaller swimming areas. The Majestic Colonial by far had the nicest. This resort also seems to have the most number of palapas then the other resorts. Some resorts had very minimal or even no palapas at all. Being a person who needs shade, this was a major plus for me. We never had to get up early to reserve a palapa with our towels (everyone does it so its no big deal) and we always found a good spot no matter what time of the day we ventured down to the beach. The beach is also very well monitored and there is always security around. We very seldomly got hasseled by locals trying to sell you things. Earlier in the day, there is also the animation team who plays music and gets games happening on the beach. This does not go on all day however so if you want to catch a nap after lunch, you can easily do this with some peace and quiet. There are also plenty of showers along the beach to rinse off the sand so there was not waiting in line for these.
The staff that take your drink orders on the beach were always friendly and very quick. This was a great service to be able to relax and have someone bring you a "dirty monkey" or even a bottle of water without having to leave your lounge chair. There is a beautiful coral reef right off of the beach where you can enjoy snorkelling. So many beautiful fish and other creatures. Be careful as the water gets deep during the day so for weaker swimmers, stay very close to the shore. There was a beach party one night with a live band, food and other entertainment. This was a lot of fun and I strongly suggest that you attend.

Staff: This probably should have been my first category to comment on as there are soooooo many wonderful staff at this resort who work so hard to make sure that your vacation is amazing. Starting with our favourite bar tenders Murfi and Santa. Murfi was mostly at the main bar and made sure that we were always entertained. He always greeted us with such enthusiasim whenever we came by shouting "my familia, drinky drinky time?" He was a pleasure. Always kept our glasses full and would come up with some of the most interesting drinks. Santa was another pleasure to meet. Such a sweet and friendly girl. Always inquired about how our trip was going and if she could make us her special "diablo" shot. Alex and Tony also at the main bar were super friendly as well and seemed to really enjoy their jobs. Eva at the theatre bar was wonderful as well. Victor at the pool bar was very entertaining and was always singing and dancing. We encountered a problem one night when the battery to the card reader for our room was dead and we could not get in. It was very late, I was very tired and had just wanted to go to bed. The staff at the front desk was so efficient and got the problem fixed right away. They called the maintenance team who arrived very quickly and all of them stayed to make sure that everything was in order before they left for the night. The gardeners keep the place looking amazing and unfortunately they do not receive a lot of timps as guests seem to have minimal interactions with the,. By all means, tip these people. The maids are always friendly and say hello to you in the hallways. There is a language barrier with some staff as we do not speak Spanish however, everyone seemed to try to communicate despite this. Some of the most friendly and welcoming people that I have ever met. Everyone seems to really enjoy their jobs. I really feel that their friendliness is genuine and we never felt pressured to tip. The service was always wonderful no matter how much we did or did not tip. At the end of the trip, I realized that we probably spent over $600.00USD in tips and perhaps we may have overdone it but I do not regret giving away a single penny. These people work so hard to make you feel welcome and they deserve to be recognized.

Food: I am a vegetarian and my husband is not so I was a little concerned about the selection at the resort. We ate mostly at the main buffet as this seemed to have the most options to accomodate my needs. The pasta bar is quite good and was always fresh. Although there is not an extremely large variety of vegetarian foods to choose from, I did not go hungry and could always find a selection at the buffet. My only semi disappointment was the restaurants. There are not any vegetarian options at any of the a la carte restaurants on the menu. Although the staff would attempt to accomodate me at times by bringing me a plate of steamed vegetables (not a meal), we would end up going to the buffet after so that I could eat after my husband had his meal at the a la carte. As a suggestion to management, I think that it would be nice to include a vegetarian meal on your menu to accomodate the guests that do not eat meat but would still like to enjoy a meal with their partners/ families. The French restaurant was nice but again, no vegetarian options. They brought me a bunch of veggie side dishes as my entree but my husband enjoyed his lamb chops. My husband thouroughly enjoyed his meals at the steak and seafood restaurants so there were no complaints on the quality of food there. The Japanese/ restaurant was ok. Fun to go to for the amusement of it but it was nothing special. Heavy on the soy sauce. Lots of salt in all of the food actually. The food at the mexican/ caribbean restaurants was also quite good (for meat eaters). They closed down the buffet and only had the restaurants open a few nights I assume due to the hotel being slow and I got by on salad and bread. Breakfast was excellent. Omlette and fresh crepe station. Lots of variety. Breakfast only goes until 10am however so if you miss it, you can go to the beach restaurant and get a continental breakfast. I think that they should extend the breakfast hours until at least 11am so people do not have to get up early on vacation. There were no vegetarian options at the late night snack bar either. Only greasy cold french fries. A suggestion would be to offer maybe salads, pizza or fruit for the late night people who perhaps may not want a greasy burger or hot dog. The deserts wherever you eat are AMAZING. The fruit is so fresh and the chocolate is superb. Very well made deserts and lots of variety. I gained 10 pounds just eating the deserts. Overall the food is good. Maybe not compared to what you might expect at an upscale restaurant or other fine dining establishment but trust me, you will gain weight just based on the selection.

Amenities: The pool is fantastic. Very large and clean. There are always staff tidying up cups and straws from some guests who are too lazy to throw them in the trash. The pool was never crowded and there is a kids play area with a pool which is completely separate from the main pool. This is good as it keeps some of the younger guests entertained. The club is shared by the Majestic Colonial and Elegance so you can meet new people if you want. A little annoying that there always appeared to be a group of teenagers who were just so happy to be able to drink without getting hasseled. A separate adults only area would be nice. The casino is very small and not really worth spending your money. We spent one night there but it was not a highlight. The gym is small but adequate for what you will need to work out on vacation. It is never crowded and the equipment works fine. The entertainment/ shows were quite good and worth seeing. We only really went to see the main shows such as the Michael Jackson and the Magic Show. Both were good. There will be a market on Thursday nights set up near the shops. You can purchase paintings, t-shirts, jewelry, wood products etc. The vendors are VERY pushy and take up a lot of your time if you allow them. Word of advice on the jewlery. It is NOT real silver. They will tell you that it is but don't be fooled. Make sure that you take note of the exchange rate as well when bargaining with the vendors. Check with the hotel on the exchange rate from your currency to pesos to make sure that you are not being scammed. We bought some paintings which were beautiful and got them for half the price then what was originally asked for. Be firm. They will not sell you anything if they are not making a profit so don't be afraid to offer a much lower price and stick to it. One suggestion that I have for the management is to tell the vendors not to hassel people who are not interested in buying anything. This makes for a bit of an annoying experience.

Tipping: Tipping is completely up to your own discretion. We tipped staff very well however, it was because we felt that they deserved it. If someone has gone out of their way to do something for you, then by all means, give them something extra. Generally, we tipped the maids $5.00 US per day, the bartenders $5.00-10.00US per day, the guy that stocks your fridge $2.00 per day etc. It is completely up to you. Make sure that you bring lots of small bills as the front dest often does not have change.

Excursions: The excursions have nothing to do with the hotel so if something goes wrong, it is not their fault. We went on two excursions booked through the tour rep. Parasailing on the beach was a bit of a waste of money as we were only up in the air for about 5 minutes. After we were brought back down to the boat, one of the workers on the excursion decided that he wanted to go parasailing so we were taken on a 20 minute boat ride while he got to enjoy the ride that we paid for. If you are going to book an excursion, I would definitely suggest the Bavaro Runners tour. This tour was very reasonably priced and included a full day of lots of fun such as horseback riding, cultural tours to plantations, lunch and a trip to Macao Beach (stunning). Well worth the $90.00 USD per person.

Trip suggestions: Bring LOTS of sunscreen. The sun is very strong and it is incredibly hot. You will not even feel yourself burning until it is too late. Although you can purchase sunblock at the resort shops, it is expensive and there is not a great selection if you are picky on your brands.

Bring a pool float for lounging in the pool or ocean. These were a lot of fun and were light weight. If you pick up a cheap one before you leave home, you can always just leave it for the next guest to enjoy if you don't want to re-pack it.

Bring a Bubba Keg to keep your drinks cold. The little cups that they give you at the pool bars are small and you drink will melt quickly. The Bubba Kegs were great for taking to the beach.

Use your room safe. Although we did not experience any theft (left our ipods, expensive watches, some jewlery out at times by accident) it is a good idea to exercise common sense. People who have written reveiws that they have had their stuff stolen may have not been very cautious. I left my engagement and wedding bands at home and bought a simple silver ring to wear as my band.

Bring items such as band-aids as they did not have any of these at the pharmacy. My husband cut his foot on the beach ( water shoes are a good idea) and we had to buy tape and gauze. If yo are a junk food eater, bring snacks along with you so you will not give into temptation of having to buy a $5.00 bag of chips. Women's products such as tampons/ pads are also very expensive. It is better to have the items and not need them then need them and have to shell out a lot more money.

Overall, this resort was simply beautiful and definitely worth the money. We will absolutely be going back as soon as we can. The staff were a definite highlight and made our stay very memorable. Go and enjoy the hospitality at this resort and leave the negativity at home.

new york
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 7, 2009

I have been to Punta Cana several times but have not been in almost 6 years. After extensive internet research (and a good price) we decided to book this resort. We opted for the upgrade which included a larger room on a higher floor, a private balcony with a jacuzzi in it and room service.
The room was beautiful. Incredibly large with 2 balconies and a jacuzzi bath in the room as well. We were also equipped with a TV and DVD player as well as a coffee machine and a nescafe machine. The bed was large and not terribly comfortable but overall we were very pleased with the room. A lot of people have complained about housekeeping which I found to be decent, but not great. Every day we would come back to the room wondering if they had come because our bed was made very poorly and other items were not put away or straightened out. Although, they were always there to offer fresh towels, refill our mini bar and anything else we may need we found that 9 times out of 10 they would knock and then they enter (even if we replied to the knock). They do not offer a privacy sign for the door, supposedly they have a system with motion sensors. Not sure this system works very well!
The beach was absolutely gorgeous as was the pool. We went from Wednesday-Wednesday and we never had trouble even on the weekend getting a seat or a cabana and the resort never felt over crowded at all. The pool is very large so there seemed to be areas with a lot of entertainment and action, areas that were more quiet and then areas with more kids. The beach was very clean and we never had a problem with people soliciting on the beach at all which was a problem in other resorts I went to in DR. Part of the all inclusive package includes snorkel gear, boogie boards, kayaks and some other water sports which was fun to take advantage of.
The one thing that we were VERY disappointed in was the food. Neither of us are picky eaters but we had a very hard time finding anything that was close to good. The breakfast buffet was very large and had a lot of options but we found that a lot of the items were not prepared fresh so the pancakes were rock hard, the crepes were cold, etc. Lunch options were buffet only and we hated most of the dinner options. There were only 2 of the restaurants that required reservations (Habachi and Le Gourmet) I was happy to find out that we could make reservations at any point with very little problems. Reservations had to be made in person in the lobby but you can do as many as you want and we found these restaurants to be the best options so I highly recommend making the reservations when you check in. The rest of the restaurants were BAD BAD BAD. The grill and the seafood restaurants are actually the same restaurant (which is the buffet for lunch) and they just give you 2 different menus. Both were really bad. The Mexican/Dominican we found to be the worst of them all. We actually ended up leaving mid meal because it was so bad. The japanese Habachi restaurant has a chinese a la carte option which was okay. We found ourselves eating french fries and pasta most of the week from the buffet since these seemed to be the best options they had to offer. We also ordered room service which may have been the worst of it all. It took over an hour for delivery each time and each time they delivered the food was worse than the last time.
The casino was small and had some slot machines, card tables and roulette and the disco/sports bar was nothing special. The shows were entertaining and while they started pretty late, they had live music beforehand and always plenty of bars open. We ended up walking around one day at the Majestic Elegance which is connected on the beach and also through the show area and found there to be very little difference in the 2 resorts (though the elegance is 18+ only and more expensive).
If you are happy to just lay on the beach or pool and drink and food is not a major factor, then I highly recommend this resort. The grounds are really well kept and quite nice, there is plenty to do if you want activity but its also very quiet and relaxing if that is what you prefer. The beach is unbeatable and the pool is also really nice. We loved having the jacuzzi on our balcony and the rooms in general were great. I love the island and will certainly be back but the food for me at this resort was a deal breaker.

Germany, DUS
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 7, 2009

We spend 14 days in this great hotel. We enjoyed every second of our stay.
Rooms:
Our room was the junior suite standard, which was big enough for us. The room was cleaned every day by the service girls who did this very accurate.
But the only negative point was that the light in the shower was out of order and stayed that way, although we mentioned this on our first day at the reception.
Food & Service:
The cooks do a really great job. We enjoyed every meal. The service is the best we ever had. Your glass of water is nearly half empty and is refilled by the staff immediately on their own. The staff was always very friendly and polite. Our special thanks go to Rafael Frias at the Beach Restaurant who does a great job.
Beach:
The beach was unbelievable, we spend nearly our whole holiday there. It is always kept clean and tidy. You will never get thirsty on the beach, because of the beach concierge Danny who serves the drinks there. Thanks Danny we had a great time.
We also enjoyed the well organized beach parties with great live music every Wednesday.
In sum , our vacation was amazing!!!!!!!!!!!!!
We will come back.................

New York City, New York
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 6, 2009

We were so happy with our stay at the Majestic Colonial that we cannot wait to return next year and see our dear friends Murphi excellent lobby bartender,, Santiago excellent Pool Bartender,Kelvin and Jeffrey extraordinary bar manger. Always making sure we were comfortable and in no need of anything at all. From our every morning fresh and natural juices made by Santiago to the day with Jeffry looking after us and ending every night with Murphi at the lobby bar. They have become our friends for life. Our stay is a memory that we will never erase from our hearts and minds. The comfort and the hospitality was excellent ,cant wait. They are such good people we all keep in contact every week and we are in New York. where the city never sleeps. We love u Murfi ( I Love My Job) Jeffrey (Madre) Santaigo (Santi el malo) see u next year. Lets not forget the awesome pool that wraps around the resort. never seen anything like it. AWESOME!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Check out pictures from July 11, to July 17 2009.

• Stayed September 2009, traveled as a couple
NY
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 5, 2009

Our trip to the Dominican Republic at the Majestic Colonial was a perfect fun filled vacation. The food was excellent, the weather perfect, the atmosphere and hotel cleanliness was all we could ask for. The staff was very friendly and helpful, in particular one person stands out his name was Raul Montero, we made it a point to spend a good amount of time at his bar every day/night. He made the best drinks, was very kind, funny, and extremely friendly. He alone made our trip a lot of fun! I would definitely love to go back to the same place and recommend it to all of my friends and family.

• Stayed September 2009, traveled as a couple

Been to Majestic Colonial Punta Cana? Share your experiences!