“Dream Vacation at Punta Cana” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Majestic Colonial Punta Cana

You added Majestic Colonial Punta Cana to your Saves list
Majestic Colonial Punta Cana
4.0 of 5 Resort (All-Inclusive)   |   Playa Arena Gorda Bavaro, Punta Cana, Dominican Republic   |
Ranked #25 of 102 Hotels in Punta Cana
Miami
“Dream Vacation at Punta Cana”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 17, 2009

On May 23, 2009 we had the privilege to visit the Colonial Majestic at Punta Cana. We had been in Punta Cana before and I was very reluctant in returning. Our previous experience had been a nightmare. After trying other resorts in different parts of Santo Domingo, my husband finally convinced me to try Punta Cana once again. All I can say is thank God he did. WOW! Words cannot express my gratitude for that unforgettable week. I’d like you to know we are planning a family get together already for next year, that is how good our experience was. It took me this long to write my comments because I had a family emergency right as I returned. I wanted so much to rave about this wonderful and unforgettable vacation!

We arrived May 23rd, there was a horrible storm when we arrived so we visited the spa and try to stay dry. The service is absolutely heavenly. Everyone has a smile on their face and is always willing to assist you. You walk by someone and there’s always a courteous hello or how can we assist you. The room we were in was in building 2 close to the “3 Calaveras” 27.. something. To begin there is a refrigerator in the room that they stock up every day. They leave beer, Presidente, my husband’s favorite, refreshements, like Pepsi, Sprite, Diet Pepsi. You tell them what you prefer to drink and they leave it. There are always fresh water, oh yes, very important, you CAN’T drink the water. But that’s not a problem because you find water EVERYWHERE! What is best it’s that it’s all included! The first night they brought fruit and Champagne, the second I think it was chocolate covered grapes with your choice of wine (red, white or rose). Another night prosciutto ham, you can’t get hungry and there’s a lot of walking! The hallways, gardens and restaurants are impeccably clean. I’m a clean freak and I was very comfortable every where I went. I can tell you that due to my medical condition I had to request a room downstairs, but they do have elevators, it was absolutely gorgeous. It was extremely clean super spacious. It had privacy for the stall, and shower, 2 sinks a Jacuzzi inside and one outside, all I can tell you it was incredibly FANTASTIC! The service was stupendous. We were very lucky because everyone we dealt with were wonderful. We always tipped because what is for us a couple of $s when we are spending so much on vacation. They work so hard and I witnessed that the same service was offered to those that didn’t tip. I couldn’t understand why the others didn’t tip but they received the same treatment as we did. In the 3 Calaveras’ Bar we had the wonderful service of Raul and Omar (I hope I got his name right). Jenny was the hostess for both the Steak and the Fish side of the Calaveras. What a beautiful and sweet person. She was always great. An advice for the 3 Calaveras, sit towards the outside, because if you are in the inside close to the salad and appetizer bar it gets pretty warm, although there are fans. When you sit on the outside the breeze is great! Jimmy took care of is in the fish side and also in the meat side. He was fantastic. During the day the 3 Calaveras is a breakfast and lunch buffet and you can go in and sit straight from the beach or pool. The inside one is much nicer, but you cant’ go in wet. It has air conditioner and the food is better (to my taste). Our friends always liked to have lunch on the one outside (3 Calaveras) so they could go in bathing suits. The inside restaurant has wonderful servers and hostesses. We were taken care of by Dorta, she has beautiful green (hazel) eyes, she also works at night in the Chinese (Thai) style restaurant, she is FANTASTIC. In the inside buffet restaurant we were also taken care of by Fermin, he works at night in the Gourmet, also great. The food is great everywhere we ate. The Thai-Chinese style restaurant, you need to make a reservation to eat in the side of the “Benihanna” style setting, if you just want sushi, you can go in and be in the other side without a reservation. The food is good. The Gourmet is ok, it’s good and you should experience it, reservations are required. The Mexican and Dominican style Taino, I can’t comment on because we didn’t go there. We didn’t eat at the dinner buffet either. That was our breakfast and lunch place. The best for me were the 3 Calaveras at night. It changes into 2 sides at night: 1 side for the meats and the other for the fish and seafood. Oh my God! The best of the best! The meat cuts are fantastic. We like Shula’s and Houston’s, there’s nothing to envy by the meat side. The cuts and quality is superb. The Chateaubriand is outstanding I had it without the sauce, because the taste of the meat is great. The “Churrasco” is not your typical Churrasco. We are speaking of filet quality meat. My husband had it the second night we ate there and it was outstanding! The seafood side was just as wonderful. They try to please you as much as possible. Our friends wanted lobster creole, it wasn’t in the menu, but when they requested it, the chef made it for them. Of course we tipped him, but can you imagine to have something made to your taste on the spot. Amazing! Tips are so well deserved!

At night there was a happy hour (what was better is that the drinks were included) with a saxophone player and sometimes a small group with a piano by the out side bar toward the front of the resort. Super ROMANTIC! The music was amazing. You could either go there before or after dinner and relax and hear this wonderful music. Every night there was a show at 10PM. The shows were nothing out of this world, but the animation group is wonderful. They work super hard. They work non-stop, under the heat and at night under the lights! You never see them complaining and always with a smile in their face. I wish I could remember all of their names, but I will mention some, but be advised that if I forget someone it’s not because they were not good, it’s because it’s a lot of names to remember! I wish I could put all the pictures in but the space is limited, they had pool aerobics and in the middle while you are sweating you can swim to the bar in the pool to refresh yourself! Amazing, games at the beach! Dancing lessons at the beach! Music at the beach! Servers at the beach with many shaded areas for those of us that can’t be too much in the sun! Imagine underneath a tiki on a stretch arm chair and someone asking if you would like anything to drink? Heaven? Oh, yes. I think this was one of the most enjoyable parts of this wonderful resort! Well back to the animation crew. We had the wonderful privilege to meet great and happy youngsters, they were about my sons ages, between 18 and late 20’s! What energy. How they were able to be so long in the sun dancing, jumping and laughing is still a mystery to me! I’d be very tired and super exhausted what a wonderful group! The DJs are super nice, but they love Regeton, but when you ask them for other Merengue or Salsa they are happy to comply with requests!

There is a pool playground for kids, there is a disco (too much Reggeton), a Casino and great shore excursions. I can’t comment on the shore excursions because I was too busy enjoying my stay!

The Spa is great, the prices are reasonable and it is clean. What I liked the least was that you had to get wet to go the spa and to the 3 Calaveras. Also you had to carry with you the towel cards and if you lost them it would be $25.00 to replace them. I wasn’t too happy with that, but I didn’t lose it, so maybe that’s why I didn’t mind it as much!

• Stayed May 2009, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (2,510)
TEXAS
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 16, 2009

The hotel has great service. Checking is fast with no hastle. You have your choice of 7 different restaurants to eat from. There is plenty to do throughout the day from beach activities to great bars in the lobby area. The bartenders are nice and curteous especially Omar and Ana from the lobby bar and Hilaria from housekeeping. I definitely reommend this hotel to anyone.

• Stayed June 2009, traveled with friends
Pittsburgh
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 16, 2009

Dont listen to the reviews where people complained all the time. We are a laid back couple and dont complain about the small things. Our room a little musty smell from humidity but who cares!!! We booked a Garden Room and I emailed AnneMarie 3 weeks before going and asked if there were any free upgraded rooms that would be nice since it was our 4 yr anniversary and guess what... we got a free upgrade to a walk out pool room! right next to the beach with a little ocean view!!! way to start off a trip! Animation Team HILARIOUS! Jesus from the Animation Team always made us feel welcome. Sergio and manager Nelson from the Buffet were great!
I am a picky eater but I tried alot of different things and everyhthing was great! Hibatchi is the best. Book the Funny Green Monster/Safari Tour. You wont be disappointed... The last night we were there we got pulled on the theatre stage and were with 3 other couples on " The Ideal Couple" game show at night. Embarrissing but we loved every minute of it! anyone has any questions email me. If I can help anyone let me know!!!

• Stayed July 2009, traveled as a couple
NY
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 16, 2009

Our stay in this beautiful resorts delivered what it advertised and much more. The staff is beyond courteous and friendly (Coffee boys Elvis and Christian, Julio Ortiz, Roberto Rosario, Liliana at Supremo, Denny on the beach, Julio Cesar, Estafani....,missing you alll!) and our memories of beautiful Punta Cana will be remembered fondly, in part thanks to all the wonderful staff and beautiful setting of the Colonial Majestic. Can't wait to go back!

• Stayed July 2009, traveled with family
Chicago
2 of 5 stars Reviewed July 16, 2009

I won’t be returning to that place – it’s not worth the money. There are plenty more resorts in same price range that would offer you a lot more.
I was there with my family and only because we enjoy each other company we were able to have fun.
Let me give you a few examples so you will have a better idea. We arrived at the resort around 2p.m., it took at least 30 minutes the front desk personal to verify our reservation, although there was no line at the front desk. Finally we were given a room number and an envelope with the keys and resort information. I went to the baggage porter and gave him the room number for our bags to be delivered there (I do speak Spanish so there was no language barrier). When we got to the room –it was not ready!!! They were just finishing up cleaning the room. Another half an hour we spent waiting for the towels and finally around 4p.m. our bags were delivered to our room. I would’ve say that it might be an exception – things like that tend to happen. But next day my in-laws arrived and they went through the same routine. Likely for them they were able to stay in our room until theirs was getting ready (for 2.5 hours) and their baggage was not delayed because we carried with us.
During our stay the rooms were usually cleaned around 4-6p.m. a few times we had to ask for fresh towels because they forgot to replace them, sometimes it took 2-3 phone calls to the front desk to replace them although cleaning personal was frivolously chatting in the hallways.
We did buy “Majestic Premium” but we still had to pay for the premium liquors ($6 a shot – and they could even offer shot glasses). Only”Johnny Walker Red Label” and” J&B” were included plus their domestic crap (so it is all BS that premium liquors are included). There was no mini bar in the room, only 2 bottles of the domestic beer that was supposed to be replenished every day. But there was no bottle opener in the rooms. Someone might say – it is not a big deal, but it is very annoying when you come from the outside heat wanting to cool down with a cold beer and you have to look for something that could be a bottle opener (we used outside patio furniture).
When you order drinks outside the bar it would take forever, few times I was able to get the drinks quicker by going to the bar myself and bringing the drinks to our table (same with the food at the restaurants).
The food was ok, nothing special, same every day for breakfast, lunch and dinner at all the places, very little seafood.
The resort was clean overall, but a few times we would find our plastic bottles and cups at the same place as we left them yesterday by the swimming pool. I could live with that but once again – not very pleasant.
I think it a lack of managerial efforts, because I would see the managers very rarely and I think they have to in the middle of everything to see how the things are going. But the stuff was very friendly and welcoming. Unfortunately I do not remember the names but most of them were very sociable and outgoing. Oh, yes I do remember one – Francisco at the breakfast buffet with his saying: “cafeee,cafeee,cafeeeee” – our son liked it very much.
It is my personal opinion and observations, someone might find the things I described minor and negligible but I know that I won’t be returning there.
DH

• Stayed June 2009, traveled with family
Hartford CT
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 16, 2009

From the airport someone greets you and takes your bags. You talk to a travel agent and they put you on a bus to the hotel. About 45 minutes through the island, you end up at the resort. It is all open air and the area nearby is not someplace you want to walk around in. There are shops located near the entrance called “Punta Blanca”, but that’s about it and even they are kind of shady, stay in the resort, I suggest.

You check in and get your room, along with a ‘welcome drink’. The hotel rooms are situated along a long pool the runs through the center of the property, at the end is the beach. We walked with the bellman to the room and when we got there, we had a bottle of champagne and some wilted fruit waiting for us. It was nice. We had a junior suite and it was a ‘swim up room’ (ground floor, has a little balcony and area to sit out by the pool, just outside the room). FYI the junior suite does not have a real door on the bathroom, just an FYI. There is a Jacuzzi in the room and also on the balcony. The mini bar has some basic stuff in it like soda, but nothing else really. The room also had two bottles of rum for us.

Our room was located right off the pool just across form the pool bar. One thing to know is that the pool bar gets LOUD all day long, from 11-6. After two days, we had to move our room because it was absurd how loud and crowded it was. If you like that kind of thing, it looks like a lot of fun. It took 24 hours, but we got our room changed to a quite area of the pool and it was very nice.

The resort has 6 restaurants, the good ones are the Supreme Buffet, the Seafood place, the Chinese place, the Dominican place, and maybe the steak house. The hut on the beach is not so great during the day, I suggest making an effort to go to the supreme buffet because it is better. The restaurants have different hours of operation. For breakfast and lunch, you can go to the hut or the supreme buffet. Everything else is open for dinner only. There is also a place called “BM” (haha) that is open late night and serves hot dogs, burgers, ect.

The place has some type of organized activities every day and there is a schedule near the lobby that is updated each day. During the day, there are activities such as volley ball or different contests on the beach or near the pool bar. Then at night, there is some type of show (karaoke, magic show, ‘craziest couple show, ect). There were also movies shown someplace on the property on the day that it rained. There is also a dance club and sports bar.

You have the option of going on paid excursions with the help of your assigned travel rep that is on the property for most of the day. The first day there, s/he gives explanation of the place and tells you about some of the excursions. They are kind of expensive. We chose “Catalina Island” because it visited Casa Del Campo, a place a family member suggested. The Catalina Island excursion was kind of nice, but in hind sight, it was not a great use of time. Essentially, we went out on a boat, visited a little beach, went tubing/banana boating and snorkeled, then went back. We also went to Dolphin Island, which was a great time and it was fun to swim with dolphins. There is a hut on the beach that provides equipment for sea sports – a lot of the equipment (snorkels, catamarans,ect) is free, but there are pay options as well (scuba, ect). We chose to go parasailing. To parasail, we got on a row boat and it took us out to the sea where we were transferred to a bigger boat where we parasailed from, then we had to transfer back to another row boat to get back to shore. I was terribly sea sick and my wife was fine (go figure ). There is also a spa on site and we did the ‘couples spa’ and it was nice, very relaxing. They were not modest in regards of keeping us clothed the whole time, but it was relaxing (sauna, hot tub, exfoliation, chocolate body scrub, massage - $300 , 2 hours). Note: near the hut with the sea equipment, there is a place to exchange your towel for a fresh one.

There are shops nearby the lobby that have set prices and have some essential things. The folks from the shops that are outside the property are invited inside the hotel for one night a week, so if you want souvenirs and don’t want to go outside, just wait for them. Lots of people there speak Spanish, so we tried to speak Spanish a lot, but you can get by with English as well. We were a minority in a few situations, as people who spoke English, but most of the folks working there know enough English, or can point you to someone who does.

Oh – the beach is very nice. White sand and clear/teal water. There is a ‘swimming area’ that is roped off, about 20 feet out and just beyond that rope, there are often boats zipping by. I recommend keeping an eye out for those boats, they go really fast and it could be dangerous. There are grass huts on the beach and chairs to lay out on. You can walk down the beach and check out all the hotels. Also there is a ship wreck that has been there for 30 years that you can see from the beach. The weather was great most of the time and they had a 4th of July BBQ that was really nice and fun.

Overall, we were honeymooners and like peace and quite. It took a day or so, but we figured out where to find it. There were also partiers there and they did not have any problem finding a party (or drinks for that matter). There were also families there, and weddings, and everyone seemed to enjoy themselves.

• Stayed June 2009, traveled as a couple
New York
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 16, 2009

We had a great vacation. Two people who made it even better were Nelson, Supervisor
at the Portofino rest. and Denny ,beach consierge . The service the provided was outstanding .The food,beach and rooms were outstanding .

• Stayed July 2009, traveled as a couple

Been to Majestic Colonial Punta Cana? Share your experiences!