“Great with kids!” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Majestic Colonial Punta Cana

You added Majestic Colonial Punta Cana to your Saves list
Majestic Colonial Punta Cana
4.0 of 5 Resort (All-Inclusive)   |   Playa Arena Gorda Bavaro, Punta Cana, Dominican Republic   |
Ranked #40 of 101 Hotels in Punta Cana
Lake Villa, Illinois
“Great with kids!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed yesterday NEW

Take a taxi at the airport, don't need to book it prior to arrival, it's cheaper that way. Check in was great, cold drinks at arrival and wet cold towel (much needed)! Victor was great! Very friendly, not only the staff but everywhere we went ( Dominicans are like that!) Get a room upgrade there. The pool view rooms are great! Very clean all over, beautiful grounds, beautiful beach, beautiful pool. Everybody treats you like gold. Don't forget to tip! You don't need to but it's nice and you might get a few extra surprises. You don't need to change money to local money. Everywhere you can just used $. Our kids are 3 and 9. They had a blast. The kids club (all the girls including Johanna, Esther and Anna and especially Merian (the main person in the kids club) were outstanding!!!). I was concerned about my 3 year old but he didn't even want to stay with us because he loved being with them. Breakfast (Candido Mariano, Nancy Pio, Romeri AlVarez, Jesus Evangelista #5) were awesome every day! Bring sunscreen!!! (it's very expensive there) The sun is very strong, don't be fooled. I used SPF 30 and 50 and have a pretty deep tan even with that. I used on my kids SPF 70 and they are both really tanned. Food was OK! not the best but you have so many choices you'll be fine. I recommend the chicken over everything else. The stake was not great there. The chicken was to die for especially at the restaurant by the beach and and Taino Restaurant on the ground floor of the lobby.The buffet is great. You have choices and salads and fruits are all fresh. All juices are fresh! Attractions: Outback Safari and Marinarium are highly recommended. At Majestic don't miss the Monday Beach party! Also Michael Jackson was great! Kids club is newly renovated! My 9 year old "this is the best vacation we've taken". We highly recommend Majestic Colonial! Over all it deserves the 5 stars!

Room Tip: Pool rooms are awesome, however if you have small children and you need to have them to bed early, y...
  • Stayed November 2014, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (2,446)
St. Petersburg, Florida
4 of 5 stars Reviewed yesterday NEW

I am not a fan of all-inclusives but my cousins wanted to go somewhere warm and not too expensive so we ended up at the Majestic Colonial. The food was nothing special. It was typical all-inclusive fare though I did have a pretty good steak at the Rodeo Grill on my last night. We ate at the two buffets mostly but did try one of their 'specialty' restaurants that required reservations. Taino featured Mexican and Dominican food. The dinner started with a TERRIBLE margarita and was followed by practically inedible entrees. My fajitas tasted like Chinese food and my cousin ordered a Dominican entree that was supposed to have chicken but when it arrived, she took one bite and spit it out. We had reservations for the next night at the Asian restaurant but decided to cancel after our experience at Taino.

We stayed in the Colonial Club which gave us access to a club house, a private pool, a special 'kid-free' area on the beach and a butler. I am not sure what purpose the butler served. He gave me a tour of the property as he walked me to my room. When we arrived, he noticed that the in-room safe was broken and he said he'd have it taken care of. I tipped him and he left. The safe wasn't fixed that day so I called the next morning to report it, went out for the day and when I returned, it still was not fixed. One more call and guess what, still not fixed. Never got fixed. I ended up using the safe in my cousins' room.

The club house was a nice meeting place. There was always snacks and cocktails available and the room itself was inviting and pleasant. The 'kid-free' area on the beach was priceless.

The resort grounds are grand, beautiful and spotless. In fact, the entire resort was spotless. I've never been at a cleaner resort. The room, too, was extremely clean though slightly musty smelling. I chalked this up to being so close to the water. This smell was masked with scented oil that staff would light during the evening turn-down service. My only real criticism of the room was that it was that the decor was a bit dated and worn in places, such as the drapes.

I realize I am not panting such a rosy picture so far. Why did I rate the Majestic very good? The staff. And the beach. And the cocktails. All three were perfect.

Nearly everyone we interacted with at the resort was lovely. Not the phony, slapped-on smile of people looking for tips, but genuinely friendly and incredible grateful when we did tip. Honestly, the staff was key in making us feel welcome, relaxed and pampered.

The beach was just wonderful. Every morning the staff would remove the abundant seaweed in front of the hotel so it was never a bother. I took a walk along the beach one day and noticed that the hotel adjacent did not remove the seaweed. There was a lot of it and it really was off-putting. I was so glad we did not pick that hotel.

The beach bar made some of the best drinks (try a dirty banana) anywhere on the property and even had lounge service. While there were vendors walking though the chairs hawking their wares, they were always polite and never aggressive. Some were even very personable and funny.

Because we stayed in the club building, we missed a whole other side of hotel - the Caribbean's longest pool with 'foam party', the other side of the beach where they had bikini contests, volleyball, loud music, etc. It was all there for us if we wanted but we four beach bums had the best, most relaxing vacation we could have asked for. I will return.

• Stayed December 2014, traveled with friends
Princeton Jct., NJ
4 of 5 stars Reviewed yesterday NEW

We first stayed at MC back in 2008. I've never written a review of it before. We were just there again last month. We were with an adult family group of 7. We did "sleep" next door at ME, but I used the facilities of MC every day, starting with morning cappuccino in the upper lobby almost every single morning for our two week stay.

The resort has always been beautiful, both the grounds and the décor. Over the years it has been interesting to watch the changes and improvements. Often you notice something is a little different, but can't quite put your finger on it, unless you see all the workers in action. This visit I watched them totally re-do the main courtyard......new stone, new grouting, new electrical. To me it didn't really look different when done, but it was all new. They are always upgrading here. I also noticed for the first time the beautifully pastel colored glass lamps in the lower lobby bar. I don't know if they're new, but they caught my eye this time.

I've always enjoyed the size and layout of the resort, but do admit, that I prefer the very similar size, but a little smaller, of ME. Why? I don['t know. It's just me. The garden areas, especially in the middle of MC are lovely and still take my breath away. The beach is bigger at MC than at ME. The two Club beaches at ME, though, have more room than the one at MC. There are also more club lounges, club pools, and club bars at ME than at MC. Not that MC skimps in any way. It is designed differently. The one Club Lounge is much larger at MC and the Club pool(s) is more like one continuous lazy stream than the three totally separate areas at ME, but both offer more privacy, more intimate service, upgraded amenities, and Bali Beds than the main sections. Club Levels at both are adults only.

Colonial has seen a lot of changes in the last year and there are more to come. There is a new GM, a new Food & Beverage Manager, a new Executive Chef, two new Sous Chefs, a new pastry chef, and earlier this year a new Rooms Division Manager. I have visited twice a year for the last many years, including this year. The changes and improvements are obvious to the casual eye.

While we were there, it seemed they were making daily upgrades all over the place. When the Club level was started, the re-did all those rooms. While I was just there they were putting the finishing touches on upgrades to all the main section rooms. The menus were being upgraded as well while I was there. Most of our old favorites remained very good. One dish they had changed the recipe on, and I preferred it the way I had had it earlier in the year. I mentioned it to management. Several in our group had never been before, and they are "critical" eaters. They raved about every meal we had there.

Hubby and I had more meals there, because we were there longer, and found there are still some inconsistencies that are being worked on. We only encountered one problem, which was our order was "forgotten" one night. We were at the gorgeous beachfront restaurant. I had ordered the surf and turf. The lobster was perfect, but because our order was not delivered promptly, my tenderloin was overdone for me. It did not ruin the night.

In our group of 7 for Club lunch at the Gourmet, everyone raved. I think the person that raved the most was the one who had the gazpacho.....perfectly done and served, with the fresh veggies in the bowl and then the soup added.

It was 8 of us for dinner at the sit down Asian and again, with everyone ordering different things, it was nothing but raves. Don't laugh, but the new pastry chef is now making all homemade breads and there were a couple in our group that were gobbling up the breads because they were so good. (They are also making homemade pizzas and pasta.)

I am "only" giving a rating as a 4, not due to criticism of the resort, but I do prefer the intimacy of ME, and I think MC has to show that it can continue to deliver consistently to earn a "5". It is on its way, but needs more of a track record. I freely admit that ME costs a bit more and it shows in small ways such as the staff to guest ratio.

MC has some great true ocean front rooms that are rare in Punta Cana.

• Stayed November 2014, traveled with family
Olive hill
4 of 5 stars Reviewed yesterday NEW via mobile

We spent a week here for our honeymoon. The staff were excellent and there for our needs. We had the club service and check in, would recommend it highly. Mixed drinks were great, the only beer was Presidente and I didn't care a lot for it. However, it was still beer and it was cold. The pool bar was awesome with Jose as the bar tender. The food wasn't that great as I hadn't expected it to be by previous reviews. We ate at the French place most every morning as we liked their breakfast the best, Nothing like a vine ripe fresh tomato and bacon in march. I did venture to the archery range which was left much to be desired and was a fair walk. On outside of the gate is a flea market that I assume is owed jointly by the properties? The market appeared to be ran independently but almost every booth had the same stuff. I did go twice the first time I looked around and got prices and haggled with the proprietors. The second time I went, I took a backpack of all the over the counter meds we had taken and not used, along with everything else I'd taken and didn't care to part with. I then preceded to barter for cigars and gifts. I came back to the room $100 less and a backpack full of cigars and gifts. The beach was nice, we would get up and lay on the Bali beds on the beach and watch the sunrise or take a nap. By far the best time I had was in the pool with the swim up bar. Jose was quite the entrainer and for $20 a day I tipped first thing, i never had an empty mug. Take an insulated mug! The new wife loved the massages, she got several. That gave me time with my newfound friends in the pool. We had a great trip, with the exception of the food. Make sure you do the hibachi place, you have to make reservations. I would go back and I would take more junk that is common in America and not there ie. cheap flashlights, free promo stuff, cigarettes etc. I would also take snacks and maybe some American pops and the cane pop gets old after a few days. Heck, I would take a whole extra suitcase of food as I like to eat. We did take advantage of the free room service a few times after hours. The honeymoon bath was awesome. I recommend a swim up room as I could float back to the room for a nap. We walked over to the Elegance and as others have said. I would pay for the difference! We had a great time! I hope I could help.

• Stayed March 2014
Charlotte, North Carolina
5 of 5 stars Reviewed yesterday NEW

My Wife and I have stayed at this location several times over past several years and we will be back again next year. Honestly when you find a place that you absolutely are 100% satisfied with...why would we look elsewhere! The location the food the staff the resort and the amenities are all top shelf! We will see you in Fall of 15 folks and keep up the fantastic work. We met several couples who stayed @ several of the other resorts in Punta Cana and they said this is the place. Stay Club Colonial if couple only but the other side is just as fine also and all have been updated.
Nothing but the highest marks for this place!

Room Tip: Club Colonial for couples however, if you do have kids the other side is just as nice but kids no ki...
Guelph, Ontario
5 of 5 stars Reviewed yesterday NEW

We have just returned from a one week vacation at the Majestic Colonial Punta Cana. We travelled from Dec 4-11, 2014. We chose to upgrade to the Colonial Club. It was well worth it. We had the use of two private pools as well as exclusive restaurants. We had all adult access, which meant you had to be 18 and up to be in the Colonial Club. Our room was huge and ahad a large jacuzzi tub in our room. The a la carte restaurants were excellent, with the exception of the French restaurant, we didn't much care for it. the Mexican restaurant and the Steak house were absolutely amazing. We had Internet access anywhere in the Colonial Club areas. We had Internet around our pools, it was great. We had our own Butler for the week we were there. Anything we wanted was looked after by our butler. His name is Tiger Woods, and we would like to acknowledge him in this review. He made our trip very memorable, and we thank you. We also had two excellent bartenders at our swim up bar. Arelis and Raphael.....they made your drink once, and never forgot what you drank. Thank you for your very kind service, you also made our trip memorable. Our only regret was that we didn't book for two weeks instead of just one. this is a resort that we will definitely return to again.. Thank you for a fantastic vacation.

Room Tip: We were in room 4238 and found it to be very quiet. We had an obscured view of the Majestic Elegence...
Sudbury, Canada
4 of 5 stars Reviewed 2 days ago NEW

Just came back from Majestic Colonial on the 15th, and my boyfriend and I were very impressed.
This hotel is just 20 minutes from the airport which was a serious bonus.

The good:
The alcohol was amazing, there was grey goose, and other top shelf liquor to choose from. We were very very happy with the selection. The bartenders were all fantastic!
The rooms were gorgeous, we payed for the colonial club rooms and so I cannot talk for all of the resort but the two rooms we had were great, and were kept very clean.
The resort grounds were kept clean and pristine, the gardeners worked really hard and it showed!
The beach was absolutely gorgeous and there were a lot of lounge chairs to choose from. There were even canopy beds to choose from that were present on the Colonial club side.
The pool area in the Colonial club section had a lot of the sun beds which were barely ever always taken up so they were easy to find an open one when you needed a break from the beach.
We were called every single day and asked whether or not we were enjoying our stay and the person appointed to our room kept checking on us throughout our vacation.
Bonus * you can buy fresh coconuts for 3$ on the beach!

There was so much to do at the resort, there was always entertainment, there were bars everywhere and the sports bar was also a hidden treasure! I feel like we didn't experience everything the resort had to offer!

Attention FOODIES:
There were a few minor issues we found with this resort:
1) the food in the Colonial club lounge was not very appealing, often there was stale bread used, and really odd sandwiches that were not very appetizing.They did usually have nachos at the club area which were always tasty!
Food for the most part was very good at the resort, however breakfast buffet left something to be desired and was frequently a disappointment (usually no bacon/hash browns). Lunch at the beach front building was always fantastic and the fried chicken was to die for!!!

We ate at most of the restaurants and we were really impressed by the Mexican/Dominican restaurant (our Waiter Juan was probably the highlight of our trip!!) and the chicken fajitas were amazing. The Japanese restaurant was also really good!

The servings were very tiny at the steak house and at the french restaurant. We got the lamb at the french restaurant and it was the smallest piece of lamb I had ever seen.. It literally took one bite to eat. I ordered the "surf and turf" at the steakhouse and I was left hungry.
Room service was okay, the wings were really good. Dont order the spaghetti, the club sandwich (stale bread) or the hamburger!

The not so good:

One of the biggest complaints we had about this resort was when we had an serious issue with our room.
On the first day, our safe was broken and we called and it was fixed within 30 minutes. This wasn't really an issue for us. it happens, and it was fixed really quickly.

On the 3rd night of our vacation, we came into our room at 10 pm and it was literally raining in the washroom section of our room. We ran over to the colonial club desk and told them our issue and they called but no one showed up for a good 25 minutes (i expect they thought we were over exaggerating)
The technician that came in was really really sweet and after tearing up the ceiling, he informed us that we were going to have to switch rooms. This was completely okay, we understand that these things happen!
We were really disappointed that we had to wait until after 1 am to finally get switched rooms. We called at 11pm and asked them when we would be moving and were told they would call us back in a few minutes. 30 minutes later we called again and were told we would again be called back in a few moments. No call, nothing. Finally, the technician called for us and 10 minutes later we received a phone call saying that they were sending someone to collect our luggage and move us.
We had been up early that morning and were just really looking forward to going to sleep at 10:30. The fact that we had to wait until after 1 am and we had to essentially harass the front desk was really disappointing. We had absolutely no issue moving rooms, but I dont think that the situation was handled properly.

Overall, my boyfriend and I were very pleased with the resort, we would definitely return! I wish the food was a little bit better to bring it to a 5 star. The resort was absolutely amazing and we would love to go back to the Majestic Colonial.

• Stayed December 2014, traveled as a couple

Been to Majestic Colonial Punta Cana? Share your experiences!