“Expected better reception” 3 of 5 stars
Review of Majestic Colonial Punta Cana

Save Saved
You added Majestic Colonial Punta Cana to your Saves list
Majestic Colonial Punta Cana
4.0 of 5 Resort (All-Inclusive)   |   Playa Bavaro, Punta Cana, Dominican Republic   |
Ranked #15 of 101 hotels in Punta Cana
“Expected better reception”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed yesterday NEW

Pros: Staff (except reception) was wonderful. A friendly "hola"when they see you walk by and make you feel as a friend rather then a guest. Many forms of entertainment is available so you won't get bored. The grounds live up to the name Majestic. The food was phenomenal. We had access to both Colonial and Elegance. You can't go wrong with either.

Cons: This is a reflection of mismanagement not reception staff. My Amex travel agent called to learn of available transportation such as courtesy shuttle. They have none and offered zero suggestions. We took the Express Bavaro Bus from SDQ to Punta Cana, then took the motorcycle taxi to the resort. At the gate, we learned motorcycle taxis are not allowed in. The gate keeper requested a golf cart to pick us up and bring us to reception and check-in. So far so good. Since we arrived early, our room was not ready. They were packed and many were complaining. About 30 minutes later we are told they can't give us the reserved double suite bedroom w/jacuzzi. and instead were going to "upgrade" us to a king size suite with a roll away bed but would have to change the next day. I reluctantly agreed because they said it'd be ready by 1:30 (check in is at 3). I go back & let them know I'm not interested in the "upgrade" and prefer to wait for the 2 beds to avoid changing rooms with my teenage son. I was told they don't have one at Colonial but miraculously found one at Elegance (again a so called "upgrade") when I threatened to contact Amex. I came back at 3. Room not ready. Was asked to come back in 20 minutes. Came at 3:30 & still no room. Waited around another 30-45 minutes (by this time my son who is wearing a cast fell asleep on the lobby's couch tired from our journey) and finally was brought via golf cart to Elegance. The room smelled humid but said nothing about it. Now to the departure. I asked to be dropped off at the gate via golf cart as I had made arrangements to get picked up by the same motor taxi. I was told due to federal regulation, they could not drive us...LIE. A little while later, I asked someone else in reception and told me they don't offer that service unless there is an exception. I explained I have a young teen with a cast. Would that qualify as an exception? Answer...NO. So my son and I walked to the gate in the blazing sun. Entry and exit was terribly handled.

• Stayed April 2014, traveled with family

11,271 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (1,928)
Lodi, New Jersey
5 of 5 stars Reviewed yesterday NEW

This was our second time here at this resort and we loved it. From the entertainment day and night to the amazing rooms and great service. The incredible pools... And the food was delicious all restaurants.... Will definitely return. Thank you to the amazing entertainment especially Speedy, Carlos,Francisco.

• Stayed April 2014, traveled with family
Charlotte, North Carolina
4 of 5 stars Reviewed yesterday NEW via mobile

Victor, speedy, chicken legs, Ana, Carlos and everyone else is the best. (I love my job) they are so funny and nice and will do anything to make the customers happy. Salsa dancing and zumba with victor is the best

• Stayed April 2014
Cayuga, New York
5 of 5 stars Reviewed yesterday NEW

it was my first trip to Punta Cana and let me tell everyone,if you can afford to go on vac, go here it is worth every penny.starting with the lobby bar a man called Marcos Martinez the bartender made it a delight ;he was funny, kind and just full of fun..then there was the bar on the beach the bartenders there sang, danced and really made my stay the best,these 3 bartenders Maria,Franklin ,Yuri, make it enjoyable they treated you like family,they are always smiling and showing a good time to everyone ,there the best of the best.And of course i don't want to leave out the great care my butler Frank gave to me ,always polite and professional he also has much
to do with me returning soon i hope .Thank you to all of them for making my vac one of the best i have ever had the majestic colonial is the most beautiful place starting with the landscaping beautiful pools and beach and nice weather..thank you again ill see you when i can

Room Tip: get a room on bottom floor on a pool .with the swim up bar
  • Stayed April 2014, traveled solo
Exeter, New Hampshire
4 of 5 stars Reviewed yesterday NEW

My husband and I just spent 6 nights at The Majestic Colonial Resort and can't wait to go back! As soon as we walked into the lobby and were greeted by Juan Reyes we knew it was going to be incredible. Juan brought us to the Club check-in area and took care of everything while we sipped champagne! We asked if we could get a room close to the beach. He worked with the staff and before we knew it we were entering our room that was steps away from the beach! He was so attentive to all our needs and requests.
We had a swim-up room which was so nice and worth it! The staff at the pool and swim-up bar area were the best!! Arelis was amazing! Always a smile, friendly, outgoing and made us feel so special. Carlos also was at the bar and he too was excellent. Jasmin who was in charge of towels always had a smile no matter what time of day it was! Just can't say enough about them!
The entire resort was well-staffed. Everyone was friendly and efficient especially our housekeeping staff.
The reason we gave it an overall rating of Very Good and not Excellent was 2 of the restaurants were not very good. Le Gourmet was not good at all and the Mexican restaurant was below average. The other restaurants were very good and the waitstaff were always very accommodating.

Room Tip: We loved our swim-up room on the Club side of the resort. Each room has a patio and 2 padded sun ch...
  • Stayed April 2014, traveled as a couple
Austin, Texas
4 of 5 stars Reviewed yesterday NEW

The reason this resort gets a "very good" instead of an "average" rating is because of the grounds and beach.

Getting in- the thatch airport is kind of cute- do buy the $10 Tourist Card ahead of time, and when you walk in to the large open-aired customs area, go straight to the center booths towards the customs line (you can bypass that first line they usher you into). We booked Blue tours through expedia for our rides- I’m almost thinking I would have done a cab/ private ride, it just seems less confusing.

We stayed for 6 days at this resort as part of the Colonial Club (the adults-only part of the resort) which is a must-do if your party has adults only. The main highlights of the Club are 2 private pools w/ bars, a private beach section, and food/drinks in the lobby. 24-hour Room service and mini bar are included free (I'm not sure if this is the same if you aren't in the Club section). You also get a butler (great if you are celebrating because he will decorate your room, etc.) but we really didn't see ours much. Patricia is one of the Club supervisors and is very helpful. You also get to make reservations (for the French and teppenyaki restaurants) at the Club lobby, whish is nice. The club pools (and I think the general resort pools, too) close at 6PM (which I didn't know ahead of time, and is kind of a bummer). On the Club roped-off section of the beach and pools (especially the bali beds), you still have to get there early morning to reserve a spot (even though the resort says you aren't allowed to do this)- which really sucks when you want to sleep in!! They should definitely enforce this rule, and it's a shame they don't. 1 more thing- I know a "swim-up" room seems like a lot of fun, but it's really not in our opinion (couple) - we liked the privacy of our room with just lawn on the first floor, and I hear 2nd floors and up are quieter :) But if you are there to party, swim-up rooms seem great. Our room was really nice and received service twice a day, very comfortable and spacious, and with the best Jacuzzi tubs! Lots of pillow options per their “pillow menu”, but we never received extras when we ordered them.

Food is MEDIOCRE, and repetitive. We ate at the 2 reservations-only restaurants ("French" and teppenyaki- they were just O.K., too). The palapa on the beach ended up being our favorite for dinner- Chateaubriand and Lobster were great. Breakfast is the best at the "Supreme Buffet"- go for the fruit juice in the far right corner- delish! Lunch is average everywhere. The Dominican / Mexican restaurant is definitely below average (ate there only once). I think the resort would have received 4.5-5 stars if the food was better. Late night snack bar is actually pretty good for fried snacks. Room service is, again, meh (below average) but at least it’s available. Be prepared for loud music / wedding music around the main areas, going into the night. This is probably not the best resort for a "Romantic, peaceful, quiet" vacation.

The grounds are beautiful- the pools are great and have lots of room. The ocean is SPECTACULAR for swimming/floating- but beware of the sun- this is the first time in my life I have ever burned, and it hurt! REAPPLY your sunscreen, even if you think you don’t need it, trust me. The casino is ok, small with mostly cranky employees (probably is hard to see people wasting money there…) but still fun (very casual- can go in shorts and flip-flops). But seriously, the ocean. My – oh – my !! Makes it all worth it.

Most people we met did some sort of activity/excursion and really liked them; parasailing down the beach, excursion to Saona Island- no need to book ahead of time, there are agents in the lobby and up/down the beach offering them, reasonable prices. Be prepared to wake up early for the ALL day excursions- I hear they are tiring, but worth it!

The staff: HIT OR MISS. As in other reviews, this is so true. It was really about ½ and ½ nice and grumpy staff members. Seriously, it is the weirdest thing. Please, just tip the really nice staff members- they deserve it, definitely. Sometimes you feel you are bothering staff members, and half the time you don’t get what you ask for. Upper management needs to REALLY work on this and give the jobs to people who want them- maybe they should have a “Name Drop-Box” for comments on staff? That way the really nice helpful staff can get recognized, and others can work on their attitude- it’s off-putting at times, and left a sour taste sometimes.

In a nutshell: Pros include the ocean, pools w/ swim-up bars, drinks, bali beds/palapas (IF you get one), adults-only section, landscaping/grounds, rooms. Cons include staff / employee attitudes and unhelpfulness, and the food.

One more thing- the spa is …unfortunately disappointing. I kept wanting to like it and enjoy it. Far from “luxurious”. The main spa poo/Jacuzzis were closed (BUT they will send you to the facilities at Majestic Elegance next door IF YOU ASK…apparently we missed out), the massage and facial was average, and the wraps were meh. The way things are run at the spa is disorganized, the front desk woman at the spa was not helpful and kind of rude, and we just heard the outside music from the water aerobics class the whole time in our “private” (tiny) room. Seriously, pass on the spa (and we are NOT spa snobs by any means…). Maybe get a massage in your room or something.

I hope this was helpful! Overall, yes, I would do it again. But I hear from other people staying at our resort that some just down the way had better food and grounds. This one was in our price range, and I would do it over (whether that was the resort or sitting on a beach for a week…you decide!).

• Stayed April 2014, traveled as a couple
5 of 5 stars Reviewed yesterday NEW

Warmest thanks for Francisco Ortiz's hard work and outstanding commitment as our butler. I know how much time and energy his assignment demanded and I deeply appreciate all of his efforts to make our vacation a success. Always it is great to know that I have a place to vacation where an employee would go the extra mile. Thank you again for Francisco's great work wihich made a difference.

Room Tip: Picking a room in the middle would give easy access to all accomodations.
  • Stayed April 2014, traveled with friends

Been to Majestic Colonial Punta Cana? Share your experiences!