“Unforgettable Experience” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Majestic Colonial Punta Cana

You added Majestic Colonial Punta Cana to your Saves list
Majestic Colonial Punta Cana
4.0 of 5 Resort (All-Inclusive)   |   Playa Arena Gorda Bavaro, Punta Cana, Dominican Republic   |
Ranked #40 of 101 Hotels in Punta Cana
Toronto, Canada
“Unforgettable Experience”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 24, 2013

My husband and I just honeymooned at the Majestic Colonial and the staff took every opportunity to make us feel special. We opted to upgrade to the Colonial Club section which was well worth the money! Better rooms, wifi/refreshment lounge, private check-in....ALL worth it.

Pros:
-Food was great ("le Gourment" French restaurant). Estefany Javier and Jonathan De La Cruz were great and made us feel right at home. They welcomed us with smiling faces and big hugs ever morning, thanks Estefany and Jonathan, you guys made our trip!
- I have celiac disease and was nervous about what food options I would have to chose from. I had just about everything. There are so many choices and the a la carte restaurants have lots of options to chose from if you have an dietary restrictions
- Room location, cloose to private pool and the beach
- SO CLEAN! My husband and I are early risers. Every morning we would wake up around 7am and every morning the Majetic staff were cleaning the walk ways, pooldecks, etc.
- The white sand beaches were absolutely breathing taking and it was huge. So many loungers over a large stretch of beach. I would suggest getting your towels and putting them on loungers early in the morning if you would like to get a good spot close to the water
- Very close to the airport. They just built a new highway that apparently cut the time in half. Took us 22-25minutes from the airport to the lobby of the Majestic
- There are activities and shows every day. When we arrived there was a Michael Jackson themed party, a foam party in the main pool (party pool), Dominican Republic food night, 70's and 80's disco party
- Hardly any bugs at the resort. Not one mosquito!
- Lastly, the staff were the friendliest people. They always asked us how we were and if we needed anything, and were always serving us memosas! :) They were absolutely wonderful!

Cons:
- Once we checked in and had a tour of the resort from our Butler, we waited in our room for an hour for our luggage to get to us
- Restaurant hours are a bit odd. Their opening and closing hours are not the typical hours of operation we were used to

Over all, the Majestic Colonial was sensational and we thoroughly enjoyed our stay. Can't wait to come back and experience the Majestic again! Thank you to everyone at the Majestic for making our honeymoon so special.

Room Tip: Try and upgrade to the Colonial section -- you won't regret it!
  • Stayed November 2013, traveled as a couple
Majestic-Col, Public Relations Manager at Majestic Colonial Punta Cana, responded to this review, November 27, 2013
Dear Lia P,

Greetings from Punta Cana!

On behalf of the Majestic Colonial, I would like to thank you for taking the time to share your recent Honeymoon trip among us. We thank you very much for let us be part of that special occasion and we are glad to receive such positive comments of this trip.

Your comments our very important for us as they help us in order to better improve our services and facilities. We thank you for remarking the beauty of our beach, the cleanest of the rooms and facilities, the food offered in our A la Carte Restaurants, the friendliest of our Staff..we can say that you really enjoy your Honeymoon trip as you were expecting.

Don´t forget that here in Punta Cana you have a home that is willing to host you and make you spend another unforgettable vacation time.

Best regards,

Ariella Aquino M.
Public Relations Manager - Majestic Colonial Punta Cana

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (2,446)
Toronto, Canada
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 24, 2013

The bad: If you have difficulties walking any distance at all - this is not the hotel for you. Be warned that the distance between the lobby, the pool bar, the restaurant at the beach and the beach itself are vast. Also, there is no insulation in the rooms and you will hear every single person that wheels their suitcase past your room. You will hear them clearly, crystal clearly. And avoid the Mexican restaurant - yuck.

The good: enjoy the turquoise waves, the array of free water sports and the activities, including games like darts, horseshoes and bingo all designed to give away bottles of rum to the winners.

All in all it's a great place to stay!

Room Tip: Stay off the ground floor to avaoid hearing such noisy neighbours
  • Stayed November 2013, traveled with family
Dear karen b,

Greetings from Punta Cana!

Thank you for choosing Majestic Colonial as your vacation destination. It was our pleasure to host you in our Property and make you spend a great time with the warmest of our staff.

Regarind your feedback, we do appreciate your sincere evaluation about are Property and also, for sharing your comments on Trip Advisor, to let other people decide theabout the place the wish to stay in.

We thank you and hope to host you once again at the Majestic Colonial.

Ariella Aquino M.
Public Relations Manager - Majestic Colonial Punta Cana
Barrie, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 24, 2013

We arrived on Friday, November 15, and left on Friday, November 22.

The airport in Punta Cana was great as it was open, and breezy. It was nice to walk off of the plane into a sunny paradise. The bus ride from the airport to the resort was only 25 minutes which was nice. Once we got to the resort we were whisked away to the Colonial Club lounge for our check-in. We were given champagne, and there were also other beverages, and snacks available. We were given our bracelets, and then our butler David showed us around the resort. When David was showing us our room the handle to our balcony door fell off when he opened it, and he apologized. He made a call, and there was a maintenance man there within a few minutes to fix the door handle. Our luggage came quickly after we arrived in our room. I was happy that one of the Colonial Club lounge was close to our room. I liked that we could go there for more bottled water, pop, a snack, to make reservations for the restaurants, or ask questions. Our room was amazing, and there was a lot of storage space. I liked that the toilet was separated from the shower which was huge, and as per David could hold up to 8 people. I am so glad we got the swim up room. It was great to have lounge chairs outside our door just for us, and we were very close to the pool bar. We were also a short walk away from the beach, and the restaurant by the beach. The beach was amazing, and we were always able to find lounge chairs in the shade no matter what time we arrived. We did not go to the Colonial Club part of the beach. I liked that there was always a breeze, and that we were asked quite a few times if we wanted a drink. The staff at this resort work very hard, and do their best to make your vacation great. We did not call our butler David for anything but when we saw him he always stopped to ask how we were doing, and if we were having a good time. We did stop at the Colonial Club lounge on our way to supper to mention how we did not have a remote for our TV, and when we came back to our room one had been delivered. We were able to spend a day on one of the Bali beds around the pool, and it was very relaxing. On Thursday afternoon at the main pool they had a foam pool party which was fun. There were a lot of daily activities for adults, and kids. As we were up so early in the morning we never could stay up to watch the nightly shows which started at 10.

Food - I loved the omelette station at breakfast, and the fresh fruit especially the mango. I also enjoyed the fresh juice, and tried all of them. My favourite was the mango. We also enjoyed the pasta stations at lunch, and supper. The chicken fajitas at Taino were yummy but we had to settle for Tabasco sauce as they didn't have any hot sauce. The fajitas just needed a little kick. The cooking show at Matsuri was great. Our chef, and entertainer was Victor. The food was amazing, and we enjoyed the whole experience. We went to the Rodeo Grill Steak House Restaurant, and the steak was pretty good but the portion size was huge. The main buffet had a good selection of food but we found the breakfast, and suppers were mostly the same each night with a few changes. We did not go hungry though, and always found something to eat. As with other all inclusive resorts the food was not hot but it was good. We went to the restaurant by the beach for lunch almost every day, and it was nice especially the pasta station, and burgers. I was a little disappointed that the cheese sauce for the nachos did not even seem warm though. My favourite drink was the Majestic. It tasted like an orange creamsicle, and was nice with some rum. On Thursday the day before we left I didn't feel so good. I think it was either from overeating or swallowing some tap water by accident when I brushed my teeth. I should have used bottled water, and would recommend others to learn from my mistake. I am starting to feel like myself again, and I have been home for 3 days now.

My husband, and I enjoyed our stay, and would return to this resort. I highly recommend the Colonial Club, and the swim up room.

Room Tip: If you are not travelling with kids I highly recommend the Colonial Club, and if you can get a swim...
Burlington, Canada
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 24, 2013

Having vacationed in the Dominican Republic before I was in search of a resort that would leave me with a better impression of the service you receive compared with other tropical vacation destinations. There were many positive reviews online and we found a few people in person who recommended the Majestic Colonial.

The highlights: Great pool - our girls swam at least 6 hours everyday. There were plenty of lounge chairs. There are two pool bars with one being quieter than the other. Spacious rooms - With 2 adults and 2 children we had plenty of room. The room was set with a third bed so the children had their own. Lovely beach - warm water, very clean, plenty of lounge chairs and shade. The restaurants - It was great not to have to make reservations at a la cart restaurants. Victor the Bartender - Victor worked the quieter of the pool bars and seemed to be one of only a handful of people who knew how to deliver exceptional service. On our first morning by the pool he came by to shake our hands, ask our names, and learn our favourite drinks. When it wasn't busy he personally came buy to ensure our drinks were always topped up.

The lowlights: The service - Our first encounter at the front desk was less than welcoming. On our first day there we were woken very early in the morning by the sound of the cleaning staff yelling at each other (this happened several times throughout the week). I passed many staff who when I said "Hola" grumbled back at me or said nothing at all. After a few days I stopped going to the Supreme buffet restaurant because it was a struggle to get water or coffee (and the roof leaked in several places when it rained). On the first day there we stayed out of our room so it could be cleaned only to return after 5pm to find it had not been cleaned. I had to find one of the cleaning staff (which wasn't hard because they are so loud) and ask them to do it.

Tips: Room cleaning - I learned that if you call and request a morning clean they will come almost right away. Apparently they start cleaning the rooms of people checking out around noon then proceed to the other rooms. Room selection - We were located in the second block of rooms which we felt were perfect. The pool and quiet pool bar is right there and it is a 300m walk to many of the restaurants. Swim-up rooms - We had wanted to book one of these but couldn't because we were told you had to be 18+. When there we found families in them. Apparently they all have king beds, but you can request to have the extra single beds added. There is a premium to upgrade. Unlike our experiences in Mexico they won't allow complimentary upgrades.

All in all we enjoyed our vacation by the pool and were able to totally relax. My average rating is primarily due to the service. Great service is very important to us and we just didn't experience it at the Majestic Colonial during our stay.

• Stayed November 2013, traveled with family
Brookfield, Connecticut
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 24, 2013

Just got back from the beautiful Majestic Colonial, and we are already planning on returning next year. I can't say enough about the staff of this resort, they go above and beyond the call of duty. Special kudos to David and Odani at the Colonial Club swim up bar. They kept the party going!!! The beach is by far one of the nicest I've ever been on ( this includes Hawaii, Bermuda, Bahamas,Spain, Ireland and Florida). The food is beautifully presented, with a large variety to fit most palates.

Room Tip: We chose the Colonial Club, because it was adults only.

We were at the resort Nov 15 to Nov 22, 2013

Our trip started at 4:00am, I know they say you should be at the airport 3 hours before, but if the flight leaves at 7:00am, 2 hours should be fine, we were waiting at the gate by 4:15am. We went Air Transat and chose our seats ahead of time, we sat in row 4 seat A and B, great leg room but the seats are very narrow and the armrests don’t move. We found them very uncomfortable and one of us was able to upgrade to first class on the way back. The trip to the resort is 25 mins, very close so no beverages offered on ride.

Now the resort. We arrived and were immediately taken to our check in room (we stayed at the Colonial Club section - Adults only) and given champagne, offered snacks and other beverages. Once we were checked in our butler gave us a tour on the way to our rooms. Very helpful. Once in our room he explained the facilities and what were entitled to (free wifi in room).

He opened the patio door to our walk out to the pool and the handle fell off, he was very apologetic and called to get it fixed. Within 10 mins it was fixed. The room was clean and spacious, the shower was huge and probably could hold 8 people. The fridge was mostly stocked everyday, but water and pop could be picked up in the club room. The club room had computers, wifi and food and drinks for all club members as well as you could make your reservations at the à la carte restaurants. Only the French and the Japanese Hibachi required reservations. We had the swim up room, very nice to have if you can get one.

There are 3 pools, two are for Colonial Club members only with a swim up bar in both pools, bali beds and nice lounges. Pools bar is only open until 6:00pm and they say no swimming at night, put I didn’t see anyone being kicked out at 6pm from the club pools. Unless you just arrived most people have had enough sun and water by 6:00pm. The main pool is huge and there a lot of activities. The grounds are very well kept and are continually being worked on.

The are many restaurants and as mentioned only 2 need reservations for dinner. The Hibachi restaurant is in with the Chinese which doesn’t need a reservation, which we need realize until the last night. The beach side restaurant is open at 9:30am for breakfast and stays open until dinner with the Steak and Seafood restaurants. The food in the buffet restaurants is like all all inclusives that we have been too, but I think the variation is little less each night. Over all the food is fine and we enjoyed the Mexican and Hibachi. Bring your favourite hot sauce unless you like Tabasco.

The staff was very friendly with no issues from anyone. Even the maid that cleaned our room who we never really saw, waved like crazy to us as we left. Communication was no issue, sometimes you couldn’t totally understand but was fairly easy to figure out. We always try to speak a little spanish to get across what we wanted. We had one bartender that we thought looked grumpy, but then he would burst out singing and knew he was having a good time working there as it seemed many did.

OK, now for what we were most worried about by reading some of the negative reviews. Stomach issues. I get stomach issues really easily and was very worried. I ate salads and fruit sparingly and had no issues with the food. My wife started having some issues on the last day, which we thought might be over eating, especially the fruit. She continues to have issues 3 days later but I’m thinking not caused by the food, but perhaps the water in the room. We of course didn’t drink the water but did use it to clean our teeth. My suggestion like others, do not use the water to clean your teeth. especially don’t rinse your mouth with it.

All in all we really enjoyed everything about the resort and would go back, especially if we could get another swim up room which we found we really lucked out in getting.

Room Tip: If coming as a couple, try getting the swim up room on the Colonial Club side
Kelowna, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 24, 2013

Our family step a week's holiday at the Colonial Majestic after a search by an excellent place for vacation. Our experience was more than gratifying for the excellent service and quality of the hotel. Rooms are nice and very clean.Hotel and staff was wonderful is what keeps me coming back because they always make me feel at home and they are so much fun. I took my daughter and my friend this year and they loved it as well. Can't wait to come back.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled with family

Been to Majestic Colonial Punta Cana? Share your experiences!