“Service” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Majestic Colonial Punta Cana

You added Majestic Colonial Punta Cana to your Saves list
Majestic Colonial Punta Cana
4.0 of 5 Resort (All-Inclusive)   |   Playa Arena Gorda Bavaro, Punta Cana, Dominican Republic   |
Ranked #30 of 99 Hotels in Punta Cana
Sydney, Canada
“Service”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 14, 2013

The service at the beautiful Majestic Colonial was amazing. The staff went out of their way to take care of anything we needed. I would like to comment on the service in the buffet, they were excellent, "Santo" always greeted us with the most amazing smile and service--I would highly recommend this resort.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (2,684)
  • Polish first
Selma, Texas
3 of 5 stars Reviewed May 14, 2013

This was a beautiful place to stay, Very clean. We stayed in the colonial club. Remona, Ramon and Marshall were fantastic. My only issue was the food at this resort was horrible. I got sick and so did my husband. We also had some friends of ours get sick as well and it wasnt the alcohol because i dont drink much. We were here for a wedding. So if you dont mind being on a diet then this place is for you.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled with friends
Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania

You should go!
My wife and I went May 3 thru 10 2013 with 6 other couples. We had a GREAT trip. Thanks so much to Yoenia at the front desk, David our butler, Akon and Lina (made us laugh), Victor at the bar and Aracilis did a great job on our room. Upgrade to the Colonial Club was worth every penny. We had room 3345. It has to be the best room at the resort. Every last thing about it was perfect. You should go!

Room Tip: 3346 thru 3344 Are the best in the resort!
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
Yorkton, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 13, 2013

My daughter, my sisters and myself had stayed at your hotel April 5th to April 12th, 2013. Your hotel was the best to stay at. We had such a good time. You could have been kept busy for the whole day with all kinds of fun things to do. Your staff was so friendly. I loved the waitresses that would sing as they served drinks. Everyone is so happy and makes you feel so wonderful. We always got an Ola from everyone. Lookey Lookey, Tutti Frutti, Chicken Legs and Coffee Boy were so much fun. They made our stay a whole of fun. Grounds were kept immaculate and the hotel was always spotless. You have excellent employees! The food was also excellent wherever you ate. I would recommend anyone to stay at your hotel. And we will most definitely be back. This time we will most definitely upgrade to the Colonial Club. Thank you for the wonderful stay.

Room Tip: The rooms were great in the Majestic Colonial. But the first night we got to stay in the Colonial C...
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled with family
Toronto, Canada
3 of 5 stars Reviewed May 13, 2013 via mobile

Just spent a week at majestic colonial for a week an here's a quick review.
Flight
We had to take a taxi from the airport and this cost $40/car. Not flexible as it's a fixed rate.
Check in was quick but because we arrived late at 9pm, we barely got a tour of the resort. Oh well.
We stayed at the club portion the tip for the "upgrade" was totally worth it!

Wifi
Wifi isn't included on the non-club portion. There's a fee per hour to have Internet available in the lobby. Wifi is included in the club lounge but not the rooms themselves. In my opinion, they should include wifi in rooms! We're in 2013, this is an expected service!

Mediocre. The buffet "supreme" is average and the food just tastes the same after a week there. The Mexican restaurant I wasn't fond of - no favours. The Asian restaurant was ok - Japanese side was pathetic (that was NOT japanese food) but Chinese side was edible. We went back for the Chinese food. The Japanese side requires reservations but the Chinese doesn't. The beach grill also tastes average but it's convenient next to the beach. The French "gourmet" restaurant has horrid French food but the breakfast (club only) is decent. They just get the breakfast food from the buffet - the kitchens are all connected.
The buffet breakfast closes at 10am-early in my opinion. Their freshly made omelettes are quite good!
The Japanese and French are the only ones that require a reservation.
We were a group of 20+ people and half of us got sick at some point or the other during the week -that's really bad!!

Beach
Water is turquoise but some algae. I guess it's not perfect. If you walk right towards the Bahia principe resort for 2 minutes on the beach, the sand is much much finer and the water is clear and clean. There were quite some rocks on the majestic colonial side. Overall ok beach.
The club has a private side of the beach but this is always packed. There aren't enough Bali beds on the club side!

The pools
Huge pool on the resort on the regular side and quite clean and enjoyable. The private club side also has 2 smaller length wise pools with Bali beds and wet bars. Not bad at all. Those Bali beds were more comfy than our hotel room beds. That just says something about the hotel room beds!
They have towel change huts near the pools and provide sunscreen (SPF 15 only) and games - club only.

Room
Very run down as you can see in the pics. Maid did a very good job though and we always tipped.

Flea market right outside the resort- make sure you take any price they tell you divided by 10! Usually they would want you to name them your price an they usually give in. Magnets can be bought for a U$D if you bargain.

Drinks are ok, just tip and tell them double shots of alcohol.

Weddings are very popular at this resort. At least 2-3 weddings everyday. It's like a mass production. I guess it's free if you bring a group.

Staff is friendly and most of them smile and say hola but don't be delusioned if you think they love their job. I'm sure they're grateful for the job but salaries are minimal so please tip them a dollar whenever you appreciate their service.

Final verdict - would we go there again? NO! I wouldn't recommend this resort unless you are ok with mediocre food, run down rooms, no wifi and average activities.

• Stayed May 2013
greenville, nc
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 13, 2013

My wife and I visited the Majestic Colonial from April 28 to May 3. We had an excellent time! We stayed in the Colonial Club which I would recommend if you do not have children. Overall all of the staff were friendly and helpful. Our butler did not do as much for us as reading about the service other reviewers received, but in fairness we did not call on him either. He only came by the room twice to see if everything was ok. Don't know if he came by at other times and we were just not there. The room (#3303) was spacious and wonderful. Our room had a balcony overlooking the pool, which was nice for having a relaxing drink before going to dinner. We enjoyed the pool and beach everyday. The beach was great and servers constantly came around to bring drinks. The swim up bar in the pool was fun and the bartenders were excellent. Food options were plentiful. The breakfast buffet was excellent with lots of choices, I would recommend if you want eggs have them prepared to order at the cook station. The chef there was very friendly and did a great job . As far as food for lunch and dinner I will have to say I was pleasantly surprised. After reading many of the other reviews I was expecting to be disappointed. However, the Rodeo Grill was great, particularly for lunch with lots of choices. The Japanese Steak House was the best of the group, but you have to make a reservation. We had to make our reservation for Wed. on Tues. as it was already booked full for Tues night. So call early if you want the same day. The seafood, french and mexican/dominican were good, but nothing spectacular. There is a Chinese in the same building as the Japanese and you do not need a reservation for that. We did not try it as our stay was not long enough, but in walking through the restarurant it appeared to have good food. At night there were entertainment options that lasted until about 11pm.
We stayed on the resort everyday but one. We did the xtreme dune buggy excursion which was super fun. They picked up promptly at the hotel the morning of the tour. At first I was skeptical of it when I arrived at their shop as it was located down an alley off the main highway. After instruction and all the warnings I wondered what had I done, but once we got started it was great. The guide was excellent. He took us to the Domincan country side where we visited a local house/store for coffee, a farm, a small store in town for snacks and the beach. This was a great way to see what the people and culture are all about. The ride is a very dusty and muddy ride so do not wear your Sunday best. Be sure not to wear open toed shoes if you are going to drive (which is the reason to take this tour). All in all it was a half day excursion, covered about 50 miles through town and country, and was the highlight of the trip. We talked to some couples that went on buggy tours by other companies, but theirs seemed tame by comparison and, in the end I was glad we opted for this company.
If I am fortunate enough to take another visit to Punta Cana I will likely stay at the Majestic Colonial Club again and I highly recommend this resort to anyone .

Room Tip: We were on the third floor overlooking the pool. Excellent view.
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple
Miami Beach, Florida
3 of 5 stars Reviewed May 13, 2013

My partner checked in first through the Colonial Club and were given a room with 2 beds. I arrived an hour later and requested a King room which was provided. Apparently we had a butler but I never met him and after checking Diego in, he made him self scarce. We were given a bar set up as a Colonial Club amenity but were told that when we changed the room that if we wanted them we could move them to our new room...Im like thanks, very NOT 5 star service.
The rest of the trip was full of some ups some downs. The facilites are quite nice, the pools are clean, the grounds very well kept and the overall feeling is quite good. Drink service was very good at the beach and in the Colonial club pools as well as the lobby bar. No complaints there. The food was hit and miss, the buffet by the beach was fairly good for breakfast and lunch, the mexican restaurant was horrible, truly horrible, the Gourmet restaurant was very good and the steak place was not bad either.
The worst part for us (besides having his Iphone stolen from our room,,,word to the wise LOCK up your electronics!!) was the clientele. Im not into drunk obnoxious, trailer trashy type people on my vacations. May be a bit of a snob, but I will pay more to stay in a resort with a bit higher class of people. Stayed at the Curtain Bluff resort in Antigua, expensive, elegant and awesome. Enough said

• Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple

Been to Majestic Colonial Punta Cana? Share your experiences!