“Top Notch!” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Majestic Colonial Punta Cana

Save Saved
You added Majestic Colonial Punta Cana to your Saves list
Majestic Colonial Punta Cana
4.0 of 5 Resort (All-Inclusive)   |   Playa Bavaro, Punta Cana, Dominican Republic   |
Ranked #18 of 99 Hotels in Punta Cana
Regina, Canada
“Top Notch!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 15, 2013

BEACH - Beautiful!!! large! Clear/turquoise! Rarely any seaweed. Great waves to play in but not too rough. Great snorkeling right close - lots of amazing fish to see. A few rocks (large) on the bottom. Always loungers free - sun or shade (never congested even though hotel was full). Always a great breeze off the ocean so you never get too hot. you can walk along the beach forever (north or south) and pass by other resorts.

POOLS - LARGE!!!! so much area - always loungers available. Swim up bar and activities. Never sat at the pool though as the beach was so amazing. If you are a "Club" member that you have access to bed cabana's (as well as on the beach)

FOOD- Amazing! I've stayed in Punta Cana twice before at 4 star resorts and this resort was 10x as great. You have unlimited a la cartes. Japanese (teppanyaki style) and steakhouse were the best! French was second best. Seafood good/average. Mexican was just ok. Breakfast buffet was great (at main buffet or the beach) - crepes, pancakes, omelettes, bacon, ham sauusage, fruit, toast, yogurt, everything you can imagine! We ate lunch at the restaurant at the beach (best burgers and nachos ever!). One down side - we ate at an alacarte and there was a piece of metal in it (an inch long - like a piece of a paperclip). We told staff (as my partner could have choked if he had swallowed it) - they were very apologetic (multiple people came including management). They offered us a free romantic meal on the beach (which normally cost $100). We were leaving the next day so we couldn't accept, but when we got back to our room that night, they had put rose petals everywhere! filled the jacuzzi tub with hot water and bubbles, given us champagne and a huge fruit basket. Good customer service! I would still go back here as they serve 1000+ plates per day and we just happen to get (I think) was a piece of the metal brush that they use to clean the grill off (must have broken off when cleaning). Also, they have purified water and ice so you don't have to worry about drinks and they always have bottled water (make sure to brush your teeth with bottled water).

SERVICE - great. never a wait if you need anything, room service, towels, cleaning staff were great (give them a tip). Tour rep always handy (schedule in the lobby).
Rooms - very large with jacuzzi. I would have paid the extra $100 to get club or a pool view (only had gardenview) - get a room that start with 2000 (not 1000's)...there are 3000 and 4000 as well (but not sure which of these are pool versus garden view)

RESORT- overall was beautiful/large. The pictures on selloffvacations are really old - all the bushes are grown in so it is sooooo much better than I thought it would be. Beach BBQ's and daily activities(exercise and games). Free water sports. Pay for parasailing and sorts. There was a hot guy and hot girl contest (but the resort was mainly older couples and LOTS of wedding groups). But not a huge party atmosphere at all. We do not drink much or party and there was always a quiet place to be :) There is a gym, spa, theatre, casino, stores, kids play area (although not many kids at the resort when we went). Price will go down to $1500 (taxes in) three days prior and $1400 two days prior....so wait it out if you are booking online. Don't pay the $1800 plus tax.

MARKETS - there is a market within walking distance (5 min) of the resort. Make sure you barter though! Whatever price they quote - only pay 20 to 25% of that! Make sure silver has .925 engraved in it or its not real silver. If you walk for 45min south on the beach you will reach markets as well. You can go to other malls (nice stores - real shopping) there are buses that can take you there.

TOURS - lots to choose from! Bavaro Splash (speed boat and snorkeling) and dune buggy/polaris (see macao beach, cave and plantation) ones are good!

Room Tip: Ask for pool view or you get a room looking away from the resort (2000 are good...1100's are onl...
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
GMColonial, General Manager at Majestic Colonial Punta Cana, responded to this review, February 16, 2013
Dear Guest,

First of all, I would like to thank you very much for taking the time to write a review about Majestic Colonial. It is a pleasure to hear that you enjoyed your stay with us. I am very pleased that our staff could fulfill your expectations and you felt well attended.
The main goal we have in Majestic is make our guest feel like at home.

Cordially

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (2,405)
Alpharetta, Georgia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 15, 2013

My husband and I visited Punta Cana February 9-14 at the Majestic Colonial. We stayed in the Colonial Club, and if you’re traveling without kids, the extra money for the upgrade is a no-brainer. We really enjoyed our stay (thanks to all the other TripAdvisor reviewers whose write-ups really helped our trip to be a success)! This is a long review, but full of good info...

We arranged in advance to be picked up by Frankin Rijo (franklinrijo1966@gmail.com), a private cab driver who charges the same as any taxi you might hail at the airport. He’s extremely responsive via email, and was waiting for us with a sign. The day before leaving Punta Cana we emailed him and made departure arrangements and he was at the Majestic, waiting on time with a smile. Franklin is a gem! if you don’t want to be stuck riding in a van with a bunch of other travellers, and making stops at other hotels along the way, Franklin is the way to go.

Upon arrival at the Majestic, we were escorted to a private room for Colonial Club members where food and drink awaited us. This was great, as we had not eaten since leaving the U.S. that morning. They registered us while pouring champagne, gave us bracelets for Colonial Club members to wear (not those crappy plastic bracelets you see at most hotels), and introduced us to our butler, DeLeon who took us on a tour of the property.

Now, let’s break this down into the Good, Needs Improvement, and Don’t Even Bother (read all the way to the end for my horrible spa experience).

THE GOOD:
(1) The rooms… this is one of the nicest hotel rooms I’ve ever stayed in. All Colonial Club rooms were updated in November 2012, and it shows. The furnishings were modern, plenty of drawer, shelf and closet space, and they really put lots of thought into little things, all the way down to small rugs next to the bed so you can wipe your feet before getting into the sheets. The doors to the toilet room and shower (fantastic water pressure) are frosted glass, so if you flip the switch in the middle of the night, you’ll likely wake somebody up. We brought a small flashlight with a lanyard handle, and hung it on the toilet room door handle. This worked perfectly! Our room was 4317 (facing the Majestic Elegance with a lovely view), halfway between the main building and the beach. Perfect location!

(2) The Colonial Club lobby… right now, the only place to get free Wifi is the Colonial Club. This modern clubhouse in the middle of the Colonial Club section is outstanding. Two concierge staff are there at all times, along with lovely furniture, a row of computers and a printer and always serving a spread of food and cold drinks. We spent a lot of time in the lobby and loved it.

(3) The beach… what a gorgeous beach! Pristine white sand, azure blue waters. But what makes the Majestic Colonial’s beach so nice is the palm trees dotting the beach making it shady, as well as plenty of palapas. Although the Colonial Club has its own private adults-only section, we never sat there because the chairs were sort of crowded. Plus, my husband wanted to keep the volleyball court in his range of vision! We walked up and down the beach to see other nearby resorts, and seriously, none were as nice as the Majestic’s (not even the Elegance). You’re likely to see weddings on the beach a few times a day. Adds to the festive touch!

(4) Adults-Only Pool – As gorgeous as the beach was, occasionally the winds were a bit too strong and we headed over to the pools. There are 2 pools that run the length of the Colonial Club section, and the one closer to the beach feels the wind a little stronger. The beach beds/cabanas at both pools are fantastic, and the swim-up bars were always popular. The bathrooms at the pool are surprisingly nice… like, I’d love my bathroom at home to look like this!

(5) The Staff – The service at the Majestic made our trip really special. Yes some of them don’t have the strongest grasp of the English language, but heck… we were in THEIR country, so brushing up on some high school Spanish isn’t a bad idea. I do want to mention a few staffers though: Yojalis, the tennis pro, gave my husband a terrific lesson. Karelyn at the Colonial Club was always very helpful. Pavel set up a romantic turn-down service (bubble bath with roses and rose petals on the bed) on our last night. Coffee Boy and Santo at the buffet were always friendly and welcoming. And I loved the antics of Tutti Fruity of the Funjestic team; he got me up dancing to Caribbean music the first night and was great at leading the woman with 2 left feet (me)… always entertaining and so hard-working.

(6) The Resort itself – This hotel is very well laid out and so luxurious! Most of the large buildings are open air with no windows. The main lobby has a buffet and several other restaurants, next to the Theatre (also open air) and the shops. Midway through the resort is the spa, and down near the beach is the Steak/Seafood restaurant and buffet. It’s nice to not have to walk all the way to the main building for meals if you’re on the beach. Also, the dining areas are very spacious... wide walkways and you are never less than 5 feet away from the next table. The landscaping is magnificent… every day we walked around and felt lucky to be there.

NEEDS IMPROVEMENT
(1) No Wifi in the rooms – yes, I know vacations are a time to unplug and disconnect. But the free Wifi in the rooms (as advertised) didn’t happen. This meant a fair amount of time spent at the Colonial Club lobby (not a bad thing) to email, upload pictures to Facebook, or Facetime with our kids. Come on Majestic, give us some Wifi!

(2) The Food – Look, it’s an all-inclusive so if you’re going there expecting world class dining, it ain’t gonna happen. However, the presentation was always pretty and creative (although I could have lived without seeing the roasted pig), and the staff was enthusiastic and hardworking. You certainly never lacked for variety. If you couldn’t find something to eat, you just weren’t trying!

Here’s a few reviews: Buffet – always something good to eat there. We especially loved breakfast there, every day (although the constant Kenny G music got old really fast)! Le Gourmet –great food and service. Matsura – not nearly as good as your typical American hibachi experience. If you’re particular about your Japanese, don’t waste your time. Seafood – the first night, my husband and I ate there and walked out. Both items were inedible! The lobster was disgusting, and the red snapper was frozen. Dinner on the Beach – We did the romantic dinner on the beach for $100, and yes, it was romantic. It was also waaaaaaaaaaay too leisurely for our taste. It’s a 4 course meal, and after 1 hour 45 minutes, we’d only had 2 courses. At 2.5 hours, we got up and left before dessert came. (By the way, we never ate a tender piece of meat the whole trip.)

(3) Shopping – There’s 8-9 little shops on property, and they all sell pretty much the same stuff! Whenever we found shirts we liked, they didn’t carry them in Mediums or Larges. There’s a fine jewelry store at the Majestic Elegance, but when you ask how much something is and they pull out a calculator, you know you’re in trouble! We wound up buying gifts for the kids at the airport as we were leaving. (Oh, and if you like cats, there are some adorable kittens down near the shops!)

(4) Activities – We didn’t participate much in the activities, as this was our “relax on the beach trip.” But we found the staff to be very stubborn when running the volleyball court… interrupting games at the end of the day to take the ball back, or interrupting games to announce they would now start a tournament. The nighttime entertainment was okay, although I would NOT miss the Michael Jackson show. It’s low production value, but you’ll swear you’re watching Michael Jackson… this guy is incredible!

(5) Butler concept – It sounds good on paper, but we barely saw DeLeon after the first day. We ran into him twice and he asked if we needed anything. Also, he went on his days off in the middle of our trip, and we weren’t assigned another butler. They should fine tune this idea.

DON’T EVEN BOTHER:

I’m a spa fan and a veteran of spa treatments while on vacation (been to at least 20 spas around the world). But the Majestic Spa is bad news! I purchased a $110 Dead Sea Mud Wrap and without going TMI, let’s just say you’ll love it if you have little to no modesty and don’t mind being stripped down naked (except for a teeny thong). Used to being covered up, I tried to tell the lady that I wasn’t comfortable with this and that I was cold, but her English was as bad as my Spanish. Maybe if I looked like Heidi Klum I wouldn’t care, but I don’t and I did. I could never relax and enjoy. (Also, the shower at the spa had cold water, and I wasn’t offered flip-flops until the very end)

My husband and I decided to complain and asked to speak to the spa manager. A woman named Florence insisted we tell her the problem to decide if we could speak to the manager! She listened for 15 minutes and argued with us. We insisted on speaking with the manager and were told to come back later. When we did, the manager invited my treatment lady into the conference (something I didn’t like, since I didn’t want to see her again) and we were forced to describe the whole thing again. The manager apologized that I was uncomfortable during my treatment and said, “What can we do to make it better?” I could have requested a refund, but the manager agreed to give my husband a massage (gratis) to make up for it.

When he came back later, Florence met him and said, “You DO know this is only for 25 minutes.” (which costs $50, hardly a fair exchange for my $110 Dead Sea Mud Wrap!) My husband said, “No…” and she said, “Well, it IS.” And the only way they would give him a full hour massage was for him to pay an extra $35. Florence seems better suited for the DMV than a spa, as she doesn’t seem to enjoy taking care of customers. We later complained to Svetlana at the front desk, and after 15 minutes of phone calls, she got them to remove the $35.

Don’t expect American-style professionalism or standards with this spa. Further, the spa is missing the pampering service and creature comforts of better spas—the towels are thin and hard, the treatment tables are uncomfortable and cold, the locker rooms/showers are like a gym (I was given a broken locker key), and you can hear the screams of children playing in the pool outside (over the piped-in standard New Age music heard at most spas).

Our advice is DON’T WASTE YOUR MONEY with this spa.

Overall, we had a fabulous time at the Majestic and would go back in a heartbeat. If it hadn’t been for the spa and if the food had been better, we would have given it 5 stars.

Room Tip: Rooms in the 3000 building are in the Colonial Club and overlook the adult pool which can get noisy...
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
Prescott, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 15, 2013

I was with a group of 12 ranging from 3 to 65. We were in building 1 level 2 room 26 and 27, my girls loved having their own room for the first time on vacation and I was quite pleased myself. My wife's and my room was very well suited to our wants, king size bed, lovely shower and Jacuzzi tub. Very quiet on our side. We were in the middle of the building so there was always walking time to get anywhere. The pool was always clean with lots of loungers. Any time we at the pool we were near the lobby end and 2 bars. The beach is fantastic, nice white sand, lots of chairs and shade stands, not really sure what to call them. The ocean water was warmer than the pool, the waves were very fun to play in. All the staff go out of their way to make your stay fun and memorable, games by the pool, dancing lessons (tachy tachy with Tutti Fruitti). The food was great, I tried all different foods, some was to my taste others weren't. People have to remember they are in another country and food is different. The food was definitely better if it was cooked fresh at the either buffet. The only downside I had was the whiskey was not brand name, and could not get used to the taste so I switched to the beer, Presidente, it was very good, my bubba was always full except when it was empty that was easy to fix, a trip to the closest bar for a refill. My wife had Peña coladas, some orange drink with rum and lemonade with gin, all week. We had a great time, and are considering a trip back in the future.

Room Tip: Our room was very quiet,a distance to any thing on the resort, food, pool, beach.
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled with family
Dear Guest,

It is a truly pleasure know you had such a great time with us and decide to share your experience in Majestic Colonial with others tripadvisor members. We consider the satisfaction of our clients our primary goal; your opinion is essential to the continuous improvement and maintenance of the quality of our service.
We would like to thank you for all your positive comments about our ground and our staff. I will be sure to pass it on to all our staff that will be more than happy to hear such positive feedback

Split, Croatia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 15, 2013

Really, really great place. Amazing !!! My wife and I stayed at this resort, at the Colonial Club, for seven days and it was unforgettable. This part of hotel is renewed and the rooms are really big and very nice. We had a room with the garden view, and it was really great and quite. Rooms at the pool side can be noisy because of the pool bar. Food is very good. You can always find something to eat at the beach restaurant or buffet. Or you can always go to the lounge zone and have some snacks. Japanese restaurant was really fun and the food was very good. OK, I must admit that fish isn't so great, but this is a fish from the ocean ( not from Adriatic sea, which I'm used to ). About the food poisoning...We ate everything, we ate a lot, we mixed everything...and everything was OK. So, I don't think the food is guilty for the poisoning. Probably, the problem is in alcohol. Cocktails are very sweet, and if you drink too much, and mix different alcohols, you will have stomach problems.We didn't have WiFi at the room, but that wasn't a problem. The lounge is great place ( little bit too cold ) !! So...the hotel is great, beach is fabulous, food is very good, but the best part of this resort are people ! The staff is GREAT !!! From the cleaning ladies, to the waiters, animation team, bell boy, beach bar, pool bar...people are so helpful and always in a good mood. Our butler Francisco was really helpful and very nice. Thanks ! Also thanks to all other staff members, you made are holiday unforgettable. Hope to come back very soon

• Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple
Dear Guest:

Thank you for taking the time to write this comment, we really appreciated it.
We feel very glad that you have such a great time among us in Majestic Colonial.

We thank you for to share your suggestions, they are very helpful. Be sure, we have taken note of all your comments.

If you are planning to visit us again, please do not hesitate to contact us. It will be a great pleasure to welcome you back!

Clifton, New Jersey
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 15, 2013

This was our fourth trip to Punta Cana, each time staying at a different resort. Majestic Colonial was by far the best yet! You should definitely upgrade to the Club section,( ADULTS ONLY), as it is well worth it. You get a personal concierge who can make your restaurant reservations, draw an aromatherary bath for you in your room jacuazzi,etc. The lobbty of the club section has a mini buffet with food and drinks available 24/7. Would definitely stay again. The entertainment was ok, nothing spectacular, some nights just interactive audience shows or music for dancing but by 10 at night you're pretty much ready for bed. The animation recreational team were fantastic, many of their antics were very entertaining, including a bikini contest, a kayak race at the pool and a beer drinking contest. The food was terrific, the buffet was over the top and the restaurants had the best service. The French restaurant serves breakfast and lunch also, so you don't always have to serve yourself at a buffet, waiting on line for your omelet to cook. All of the service employees in the restaurants and around the hotel were unbelievable and very accomodating. The beach buffet for lunch is very convenient during the day for lunch, with hot food grilled for you, a pasta station and salads galore. At night this converts to a steak house on one side and a fish restaurant on the other side. Our only complaint was that the wooden chairs at this beach restaurant are very sticky, the arms of the chair needed to washed down more frequently. Also, during the day, the wooden chairs are a little uncomfortable since they only place cushions on them at night when it converts to dinner service. Overall, it was one of my best vacations ever. Can't wait to go back!

• Stayed February 2013, traveled with friends

5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 14, 2013 via mobile

What a beautiful place! We stayed in the Colonial club "adults only" side of the resort. 2nd floor over looking the pool. We spent a lot of time at the 1st pool bar. Jose Augusto and Ana Carina were fabulous, making it so much fun to hang out with them. The resort was booked, but you would never know it. It's such a large resort that you never feel crowded. We never felt we needed to get up by 8 to reserve our chairs by the pool. If you're a social person the pool is the place, if you're looking for something a little less upbeat or a place to ease your hangover try the beach. Either way, you won't be disappointed. We also purchased a floating chair from the gift shop. I think it was around $30 and they blew it up for us. Great to use when it's too hot to lay out. We passed ours on to the group that came in before we left. We purchased large thermal mugs from wal mart before we came, they will fill those up with what ever you want. Take the negative reviews with a grain of salt, some people are not happy unless they are complaining. We all know things can't be perfect all the time. If you want a five star meal, don't do an all inclusive. I am a very picky eater and never went hungry. Both the buffet and beach buffet will make made to order omlettes for breakfast. Burgers and fries, pasta bar, salad bar etc...food is available 24-7. If you're in the club portion, there are a few items available 24 hours through room service. If there is every anything you need, all you need to do is ask, they will accommodate the best they can. I've been to many all inclusive resorts, and this is the first time I've reviewed one. The majestic colonial exceeded my expectations. Well done!! Thanks for a great time!!!

• Stayed February 2013

Jackson Heights, New York, United States
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 14, 2013

Wow, what a great experience shared here at Majestic Colonial. I went for my cousin's wedding with a group of over 100 people and it was an unforgetable 6 days. The food was good, the beach was beautiful, the pools were clean, the drinks were good, and the ladies were hot! Had alot of fun in the club as well. The staff at this hotel did an execellent job catering to everyone's needs. I would certainly stay here again and would recommend this place to anyone. Also went on a 4 wheel bike excursion all around the town where we got to go to another beach, a cave, out in the farm, and a whole bunch of other places. Would definetely recommend an excursion like that to anyone.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled with family
Dear Guest,

The main goal we have in Majestic is make our guest feel like at home.

Cordially

Been to Majestic Colonial Punta Cana? Share your experiences!