“Vacation in the Dominican - a lot of fun!” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Majestic Colonial Punta Cana

Save Saved
You added Majestic Colonial Punta Cana to your Saves list
Majestic Colonial Punta Cana
4.0 of 5 Resort (All-Inclusive)   |   Playa Bavaro, Punta Cana, Dominican Republic   |
Ranked #17 of 100 Hotels in Punta Cana
Los Angeles, California
“Vacation in the Dominican - a lot of fun!”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 1, 2013

Recently my girlfriend and I took a week vacation at the Majestic Colonial...we had heard a lot of good and bad about the DR but figured we would see for ourselves.

The Hotel:
From the start we loved the hotel. It is very open which makes you feel like you are always outside which is awesome especially because of the beautiful weather - who wants to always be indoors with the AC? We had a swim up room on the first floor and enjoyed it very much. The pool weaves in and out all along the hotel from the beach to the lobby which is awesome...it is never too crowded and there are always chairs and spaces to have your own little nook so you still get that secluded feel on vacation. I always felt safe at the resort...obviously lock your stuff up in the safe located in the room and be careful but the hotel was located inward off the road and plenty of security. In addition the beach was not full of solicitors or anything and felt secluded and safe as well.
The bathrooms were sometimes a bit iffy but I would blame that more on people not understanding the plumbing and trying to shove handfuls of toilet paper instead of being conscious that the plumbing may not be what you are used to. But it was never really that bad.
We enjoyed the food - the buffet on the beach was our least favorite. If you want a buffet I would go to the one at the lobby...there is a bigger selection for breakfast, lunch, and dinner..
Also...MAKE A RESERVATION for the japanese restaurant. Its Habachi style where the Chef cooks in front of you...the food was excellent! The authentic style dominican and mexican food restaurant was also very good as well.
The best part of the hotel are the people. The staff is beyond friendly and genuine. They work from morning till night and for little pay (about $250 a month. Becoming friends with the staff was my favorite part of the hotel and we enjoyed tipping because of how nice they were. The entertainment team worked hard to always have something going on for people to do at the resort as well....they are a lively bunch!
Yaritza Cordero was an amazing person to meet and an excellent worker ...say hi to her if you go, we are still very grateful to have met her!

One downside I have about the hotel is the selection of alcohol - We did the all inclusive option of course but you can tell the alcohol is not top shelf and most are labels we have never heard of. I think the vodka they have is smirnoff and some other European kinds...so dont expect top shelf

TOURS:
We did 3 tours while we were there.
First tour we did was the Cruiser tour...basically you take a boat ride where you go snorkeling with sharks and fish and get to interact with Stingrays...It was alright. I would give it about a 3....the snorkeling was really fun and the guides are very nice...but the boat ride was crowded and not that fun. If you are not a strong swimmer and scared of the ocean I wouldn't recommend this tour

Second tour we did was with Luna Tours...which was awesome and our favorite tour. We had Sammy and Fabio as our tour guides who take you all along the country side...this tour is more exploring the culture of the Dominican people especially those who live along the country side. This company also sponsors schools and provides kids with their lunches, books, and supplies for the year. With this tour you hop on a bus and head to a school where you can see exactly how the people live and how amazing it is with how little they have...next they take you to see the land and bring you to a cigar and sugar plantation which was really interesting (DONT BUY CIGARS FROM THE BEACH, 90% of them are fake) and then they bring you to have a real authentic lunch which is amazingggggg and then you go to Maria's house...a woman who works with the company allowing tourists to walk through her home and see a "typical dominican home" and also see how she makes chocolate and coffee and have the opportunity to buy some (if you like hot coco and coffee ... get some here - Its unbelievable)
5 stars for this tour. never felt unsafe and the tours were amazing along with the guides.

Last tour we did was the buggy tour where you drive dune buggies around and visit a beach and a cave. Would rate this a 2 out of 5 stars. Wasnt that fun at all... we went really slow and the guide wasnt that friendly - the beach had a lot of solicitors as well which made it uncomfortable to just relax. Best part of this tour was visiting the fresh water cave which was so unbelievable...definitely jump in if you can.

overall...had a great time here and would go again :)

Room Tip: Swim up rooms are convenient and fun.
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
GMColonial, General Manager at Majestic Colonial Punta Cana, responded to this review, January 4, 2013
Dear Guest

Thank you for taking the time in sharing your ‘perfect week’ with others through Trip Advisor. We are very happy to have exceeded your expectations and hope to host you again at our resort property.

One of the best satisfactions is to read that the most notable asset we have is the kindness and attention of our staff as this means that we have meet the most important principle of Majestic Colonial.

It is rewarding to receive compliments from our guests, and it would be even more rewarding to have the pleasure of welcoming you back at the Majestic Colonial.

Cordially

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (2,314)
Connecticut, United States
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 1, 2013

This was our 4th time in Punta Cana. The resort was very nice. We never had to wake up early to reserve chairs at the pool or beach. The grounds were well maintained. The pools very nice. The service was excellent. The shower was great with a large shower head and never a problem waiting for the water to get hot. Several days we got food platters or wine delivered to our room. My daughter and I participated in many of the activities (boccie, horse shoes, darts, olympics, and bingo) run by the Funjestic team. The Funjestic team was awesome. Luciano, Ruth, Lookey Lookey, Blondie,Tuity Fruity, Alcatel & Nemo were very funny and really got the guests involved. The Mr Sexy contest, the bikini contest and especially the foam pool party were a lot of fun. I would highly recommend this resort.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled with family
Dear Guest,

It is a truly pleasure know you had such a great time with us and decide to share your experience in Majestic Colonial with others tripadvisor members. We consider the satisfaction of our clients our primary goal; your opinion is essential to the continuous improvement and maintenance of the quality of our service.
We would like to thank you for all your positive comments about our ground and our staff. I will be sure to pass it on to all our staff especially Luciano, Ruth, Lookey Lookey, Blondie,Tuity Fruity, Alcatel & Nemo that will be more than happy to hear such positive feedback

Dallas, Texas
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 1, 2013

This vacation was a girls getaway. The beach at the hotel was beautiful. The food at all the restaurants was delicious! The staff was very helpful and made us feel welcome. Everytime we had a drink at the bar, they remembered us and gave us excellent service.
In the downstairs lobby bar, Alex was one of our favorite bartenders.
The room was spacious and nice. The excursions were easy to set up in the lobby. We did a scuba diving to Catalina Island. It was our first time scuba diving! It was a great success!
This resort is very family orientated, not for singles, we found.

Room Tip: Book early if you want a specific room type. We had a garden view, which was pretty. The swim up roo...
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled with friends
Dear Guest,

We would like to thank you for all your positive comments about our ground and our staff. I will be sure to pass it on to all our staff especially Alex that will be more than happy to hear such positive feedback

Jersey city
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 1, 2013

If I could I would rate this 3.5 (good) but trip advisor only allows a 3. DH and I visited the hotel from 12/21-12/25 for the holiday. Overall we had a nice time and found the value great, but I would spend a little extra and stay elsewhere. Though I can understand why many come back and others don't. With AI, it is all about your preferences.

Here are some tips, the good and the bad.

Check-In: Was easy. We were greeted by out Bulter Rafael (Tiger Woods) who zipped up through, showed us the property and got us to our room.

Room: Was a nice size, we liked the balcony and overlooked the pool. We had a problem with our safe and Rafael got it fixed right away. I did not mind the open bathroom, but it was just me and the hubby. Not sure how I would have felt if we were with kids. The shower was awesome and huge, the best water pressure. When it rained we had a problem with the toilet where it would flush on its own, but I think that is a quirk of being an older hotel. It is true the bed is HARD. DH complained the whole time, being preggers - I loved it. I slept well. TV was fine - though we were not there to watch TV. Mini bar was always stocked, though we left a few bucks each day with requests for water etc. Like all reviews say, don't drink the water - use the bottled for everything from brushing teeth to making coffee. Also, there are no clocks in the room, so make sure you charge your phone and also they do not provide moisturizing lotion - so bring that. Only real complaint was there is a cabinet for room service items. No one ever came to get them and we called multiple times - yuck! Finally we just left outside and understood why others did the same. Also, the pillows were terrible.

Property: was the perfect size. I loved that we could walk everywhere, but did not feel cramped.The pools were clean, the landscaping was nice. Never did we see a bug - amazing! We always found seats at the beach and pool. Though we were usually down by 9:30, so not sure if that is why. The beach was lovely never saw seaweed or felt bothered by vendors. Liked the little shopping area etc. Only think was that the public bathrooms seemed to never have soap. Fortunately I bring my own.

Beverages: Pepsi property. Beer - only Presidente - they do not even have light and it is only on draft or in the bottle. The bars seemed limited and the frozen drinks were terrible. I think the hotel could use a true coffee shop, maybe combine the late night snack place with one. Although you could get hot coffee anywhere, it would have been nicce to have access to an ice coffee - a few of the other resorts likes Dreams have these and I love it mid-day.

Food: Ok here is why the lower rating, I get resort food, i travel a lot, but what does not work is my husband getting sick for three days there and three days when we returned. He did not overeat, he is used to lots of foods - we travel a lot, live in a metropolitan area, no he did not drink the water or consume a lot of coconut drinks (none actually) and did not consume a lot of alcohol. What I do think did him in was the sushi, I do not know why anyone would eat it - it looked fake. Personally, I did not have problems. I was a little fussy since I am preggers, but had everything in moderation - though stayed away from the sushi.

The steak house had great churrasco - I really enjoyed it (though did not care for the hybrid buffet a la carte). The french was OK, and the Asian was aweful. We did not eat at the main buffet but checked it out - it looked fine. For lunch we ate at the beach shack - it did the trick. Personally, I did not like the hybrid buffet a la carte, which seemed to be the case in most places. People are gross - i saw several people drop tongs on the the floor to use them again and look at me like I was crazy when I would get them switched out. My favorite are the people who lick their fingers and grab cookies. - really, why? Of course not the hotel's fault, but those are the types of people that are in the hotel.

Service - Really, was awesome. Everyone was so sweet and this is why I could not give a bad rating. You can tell the management works very hard in this area. I am horrible for not remembering names, but all of the staff my the club pool were so sweet and the staff in the French restaurant went above and beyond.

Other Items: Many guests were loud, and annoying at 3 am. My favorite was when people would blast music, though I did appreciate other guests yelling at them in Russian (I presume) to shut up. Be prepared there is a lot of smoking as well. Of course, this is understandable at resort where people are drinking all day. I am probably usually a loud drunk guest when I can drink :-). Activities, tons - we did not get involved, but looked fun. Though went to casino. I am a huge card player, but could not take the smoke so left. Plus the dealers make their own rules, though typical for the islands.

If you are not traveling with kids, stay in the Colonial Club, was worth the upgrade.If you need something ask your butler. These guys work hard and are running around, but will do anything you need. Our made a lovely bubble bath for us - he was really sweet.

I do recommend this place - i won't be coming back, but I am just out growing AI. If I was into the AI thing still - I would come back, despite my husband's bug.

Room Tip: Club all the way.
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
GMColonial, General Manager at Majestic Colonial Punta Cana, responded to this review, January 2, 2013
Dear Melissa Y:

Thank you to take your time to write a review and choosing Majestic Colonial as a destination during your holidays. We also appreciate your personal opinion about the hotel, the staff and the food. We take all guest feedback very seriously, and we're constantly improving all aspects with honesty. Thank you very much again to give us your opinion and I hope you will accept our apologize on behalf of Majestic Resorts staff.

Ángel Holgado
Litchfield, Minnesota
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 1, 2013

We loved this resort. It was beautiful. Excellent food with many options!! So many yummy drinks. We loved the beach here, but our pool side rooms could not be beat. We enjoyed the Zumba fitness!!!! Only thing to pick at was how slippery the floors get.....We would recommend this resort over and over again.

• Stayed March 2012, traveled with friends
Dear Guest,

First of all, I would like to thank you very much for taking the time to write a review about Majestic Colonial. It is a pleasure to hear that you enjoyed your stay with us. I am very pleased that our staff could fulfill your expectations and you felt well attended.
The main goal we have in Majestic is make our guest feel like at home.

Whitby, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 31, 2012

My husband and I have been 3 times to Punta Cana however this was our first time at the Majestic Colonial (Dec 2012). From the time we entered the resort we were just awesome struck! The resort exceeded our expectations. Our room faced the ocean and we would listen to the waves and the the gentle breeze rustling the palm trees late in the evening to the early hours of the morning. The food selections and restaurants were fantastic. The BBQ beach party was so much fun and the entertainment was amazing.The staff were just so wonderful. They always smiled and interacted with us everyday with a positive attitude and a joy for life. Every morning we would go to the Supreme Buffet, Luis (coffee boy - El cafe) would always greet us with a big smile, ready to serve us coffee and tea and share a few words with us. Martin and Milciades were the bartenders at the pool bar and they were effecient, quick and entertaining, They remember us after the first day and remember what we liked to drink. They laughed, joked and spoke to us everyday. My favorite was the Fun Jestic Team. These individuals were responsible for the dance instruction, spanish lessons, games for the kids and adults and they also did water aerobics. Dahiana, Tuty Fruty, Lukyluky, Nemo, Alcatel, Lucianao Blondy and Wilkins were full of energy and kept the tempo up. Alcatel, Blondy and Dahiana were my favorites as they truly got everyone engaged in the activities and they had an abundance of energy and postitive spirit. Every evening prior to dinner we would go to the main lobby and socialize with other couples around the bar. Kelvin and Janiberky were always ready to serve us with a smile and they were on the ball. We never had to wait for a drink even when the bar was crowded they were always watching, asking and refilling drink orders. Kelvin made the best Bloody Mary`s that my husband ever tasted. The Spa was heavenly. My husband and I went for 4 treatements in total and we were so impressed. I have a high standard for Spa treatments and these ladies exceeded my expectations. I was so relaxed due to the type of massage (Aromotheraphy Bath Massage Treatment) that I fell asleep. I felt renewed, and an amazing sense of peace after the treatment. This is a family resort and there were some families with young children. There was plenty of entertainment for the children as well as the adults. We are telling everyone we know about our experience at the Majestic Colonial as this is now going to be our yearly destination every December. If you want to have a great time, full of fun, relaxation, high quality service and entertainment...this is the ideal resort!

Room Tip: We were in room 1249 (second floor). It was quiet, facing the ocean and also within steps of the poo...
Dear Guest,

We would like to thank you for all your positive comments about our ground and our staff. I will be sure to pass it on to all our staff Luis, Milciades, Dahiana, Tuty Fruty, Lukyluky, Nemo, Alcatel, Lucianao, Blondy, Wilkins, Kelvin, Janiberky, Alcatel, Blondy and Dahiana that will be more than happy to hear such positive feedback

New York City, New York
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 31, 2012

Just returned from a nine-day stay at the Majestic Colonial with my husband and 14-year-old daughter. This was our first time in the Dominican republic, having stayed at all-inclusives in both Jamaica and St. Lucia in the past. This resort exceeded our expectations in many ways. The biggest surprise was how it never felt crowded even though it was Christmas week. Sure, there were lots of people, but we could always find good spots on the beach or by the pool, and felt that the place is really set up to accommodate the number of guests it can hold, something that is not always the case everywhere else. So here's the rundown:

CHECK-IN and ROOM: Very smooth, fast check-in, and when we requested a quiet room on a high floor the man behind the desk (Robinson, really a lovely guy!) gave us a corner room on the top floor with an outdoor jacuzzi in building 1. No view, but honestly, who cares, we just sleep and shower there. Totally quiet. We had a king bed, on the firm side but not as hard as i expected based on previous reviews, and the pillows were fine, at least for us. Daughter slept on a full-size rollaway. There is a lack of privacy with the open bathroom setup, but we managed it fine. Room was nice and clean, housekeeping was good, and water pressure was the best we've ever had in the Caribbean. A/C worked fine. We got treats delivered regularly - fruit platters, brownies, yum.

GROUNDS/FACILITIES: Beautiful, clean, well-maintained. Beach is beautiful, yes there is seaweed, but it's the ocean for heaven's sake, deal with it. Tons of chairs under thatched palapas on the beach, plenty by the pool as well. Pool is GORGEOUS with bridges and a swim up bar. Next year I'll bring pool floats because they don't have them, but otherwise great. The entertainment hall is huge and very comfortable, and the lobby/main building is beautiful. Husband used the gym daily, new equipment and clean.

FOOD: Much better than I expected from an all-inclusive. Tons of choices, everything seemed very fresh, and you could have lots of things made to order at the breakfast and lunch buffets (never did the buffet for dinner, but heard it was good too). There were cooks grilling fish, chicken and steak, making omelettes, crepes, wonderful. Restaurants were all good, especially the fixed menu for Christmas Eve at Tres Carabelas. All three of us did have a bit of tummy trouble for a day or two, not sure why, but nothing serious. I've heard some people stay away from fruits and veggies that are uncooked, and we did eat a lot of fruit and salads. Not sure if that is what caused it - we certainly aren't big drinkers or overeaters. Waiters were all friendly and accommodating, and for my daughter's birthday in Le Gourmet, she was brought a beautiful cake with a sparkler candle! The coffee boys at breakfast were very attentive and friendly, too. Drinks at the bar were served in small cups, but the bartenders had no problem filling larger cups if you brought your own. We did tip bartenders here and there and they seemed to appreciate it, but we never felt as though it was expected.

ACTIVITES/ENTERTAINMENT: Now THIS is what really makes this place so great - the animation team, known as the Funjestic Team. These people work their buns off all day and night, have boundless energy, great senses of fun and humor, and do a great job of getting people involved. And if you strike up a conversation with any of them, they are just all-around nice people. Tutti-Frutti, Blondie, Looky Looky, Diana, Nemo, and the rest (sorry I never caught all of the names!) were just amazing. I cannot say enough good things about them! Nightly entertainment was fun, too - Michael Jackson, magic show, Dominican dance show, great. We also did a ziplining excursion with Canopy Adventure, which was fabulous - but that is separate review.

Overall, I would say this was an extremely enjoyable trip and we would go back in a heartbeat.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled with family
Dear Guest,

We would like to thank you for taking the time to write a review and share that overall you had a great time at Majestic Colonial.

Cordially

Been to Majestic Colonial Punta Cana? Share your experiences!