“Some Good and Some Bad” 3 of 5 stars
Review of Majestic Colonial Punta Cana

Save Saved
You added Majestic Colonial Punta Cana to your Saves list
Majestic Colonial Punta Cana
4.0 of 5 Resort (All-Inclusive)   |   Playa Bavaro, Punta Cana, Dominican Republic   |
Ranked #18 of 100 Hotels in Punta Cana
Jersey city
“Some Good and Some Bad”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 1, 2013

If I could I would rate this 3.5 (good) but trip advisor only allows a 3. DH and I visited the hotel from 12/21-12/25 for the holiday. Overall we had a nice time and found the value great, but I would spend a little extra and stay elsewhere. Though I can understand why many come back and others don't. With AI, it is all about your preferences.

Here are some tips, the good and the bad.

Check-In: Was easy. We were greeted by out Bulter Rafael (Tiger Woods) who zipped up through, showed us the property and got us to our room.

Room: Was a nice size, we liked the balcony and overlooked the pool. We had a problem with our safe and Rafael got it fixed right away. I did not mind the open bathroom, but it was just me and the hubby. Not sure how I would have felt if we were with kids. The shower was awesome and huge, the best water pressure. When it rained we had a problem with the toilet where it would flush on its own, but I think that is a quirk of being an older hotel. It is true the bed is HARD. DH complained the whole time, being preggers - I loved it. I slept well. TV was fine - though we were not there to watch TV. Mini bar was always stocked, though we left a few bucks each day with requests for water etc. Like all reviews say, don't drink the water - use the bottled for everything from brushing teeth to making coffee. Also, there are no clocks in the room, so make sure you charge your phone and also they do not provide moisturizing lotion - so bring that. Only real complaint was there is a cabinet for room service items. No one ever came to get them and we called multiple times - yuck! Finally we just left outside and understood why others did the same. Also, the pillows were terrible.

Property: was the perfect size. I loved that we could walk everywhere, but did not feel cramped.The pools were clean, the landscaping was nice. Never did we see a bug - amazing! We always found seats at the beach and pool. Though we were usually down by 9:30, so not sure if that is why. The beach was lovely never saw seaweed or felt bothered by vendors. Liked the little shopping area etc. Only think was that the public bathrooms seemed to never have soap. Fortunately I bring my own.

Beverages: Pepsi property. Beer - only Presidente - they do not even have light and it is only on draft or in the bottle. The bars seemed limited and the frozen drinks were terrible. I think the hotel could use a true coffee shop, maybe combine the late night snack place with one. Although you could get hot coffee anywhere, it would have been nicce to have access to an ice coffee - a few of the other resorts likes Dreams have these and I love it mid-day.

Food: Ok here is why the lower rating, I get resort food, i travel a lot, but what does not work is my husband getting sick for three days there and three days when we returned. He did not overeat, he is used to lots of foods - we travel a lot, live in a metropolitan area, no he did not drink the water or consume a lot of coconut drinks (none actually) and did not consume a lot of alcohol. What I do think did him in was the sushi, I do not know why anyone would eat it - it looked fake. Personally, I did not have problems. I was a little fussy since I am preggers, but had everything in moderation - though stayed away from the sushi.

The steak house had great churrasco - I really enjoyed it (though did not care for the hybrid buffet a la carte). The french was OK, and the Asian was aweful. We did not eat at the main buffet but checked it out - it looked fine. For lunch we ate at the beach shack - it did the trick. Personally, I did not like the hybrid buffet a la carte, which seemed to be the case in most places. People are gross - i saw several people drop tongs on the the floor to use them again and look at me like I was crazy when I would get them switched out. My favorite are the people who lick their fingers and grab cookies. - really, why? Of course not the hotel's fault, but those are the types of people that are in the hotel.

Service - Really, was awesome. Everyone was so sweet and this is why I could not give a bad rating. You can tell the management works very hard in this area. I am horrible for not remembering names, but all of the staff my the club pool were so sweet and the staff in the French restaurant went above and beyond.

Other Items: Many guests were loud, and annoying at 3 am. My favorite was when people would blast music, though I did appreciate other guests yelling at them in Russian (I presume) to shut up. Be prepared there is a lot of smoking as well. Of course, this is understandable at resort where people are drinking all day. I am probably usually a loud drunk guest when I can drink :-). Activities, tons - we did not get involved, but looked fun. Though went to casino. I am a huge card player, but could not take the smoke so left. Plus the dealers make their own rules, though typical for the islands.

If you are not traveling with kids, stay in the Colonial Club, was worth the upgrade.If you need something ask your butler. These guys work hard and are running around, but will do anything you need. Our made a lovely bubble bath for us - he was really sweet.

I do recommend this place - i won't be coming back, but I am just out growing AI. If I was into the AI thing still - I would come back, despite my husband's bug.

Room Tip: Club all the way.
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
GMColonial, General Manager at Majestic Colonial Punta Cana, responded to this review, January 2, 2013
Dear Melissa Y:

Thank you to take your time to write a review and choosing Majestic Colonial as a destination during your holidays. We also appreciate your personal opinion about the hotel, the staff and the food. We take all guest feedback very seriously, and we're constantly improving all aspects with honesty. Thank you very much again to give us your opinion and I hope you will accept our apologize on behalf of Majestic Resorts staff.

Ángel Holgado

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (2,389)
Litchfield, Minnesota
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 1, 2013

We loved this resort. It was beautiful. Excellent food with many options!! So many yummy drinks. We loved the beach here, but our pool side rooms could not be beat. We enjoyed the Zumba fitness!!!! Only thing to pick at was how slippery the floors get.....We would recommend this resort over and over again.

• Stayed March 2012, traveled with friends
GMColonial, General Manager at Majestic Colonial Punta Cana, responded to this review, January 4, 2013
Dear Guest,

First of all, I would like to thank you very much for taking the time to write a review about Majestic Colonial. It is a pleasure to hear that you enjoyed your stay with us. I am very pleased that our staff could fulfill your expectations and you felt well attended.
The main goal we have in Majestic is make our guest feel like at home.

Whitby, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 31, 2012

My husband and I have been 3 times to Punta Cana however this was our first time at the Majestic Colonial (Dec 2012). From the time we entered the resort we were just awesome struck! The resort exceeded our expectations. Our room faced the ocean and we would listen to the waves and the the gentle breeze rustling the palm trees late in the evening to the early hours of the morning. The food selections and restaurants were fantastic. The BBQ beach party was so much fun and the entertainment was amazing.The staff were just so wonderful. They always smiled and interacted with us everyday with a positive attitude and a joy for life. Every morning we would go to the Supreme Buffet, Luis (coffee boy - El cafe) would always greet us with a big smile, ready to serve us coffee and tea and share a few words with us. Martin and Milciades were the bartenders at the pool bar and they were effecient, quick and entertaining, They remember us after the first day and remember what we liked to drink. They laughed, joked and spoke to us everyday. My favorite was the Fun Jestic Team. These individuals were responsible for the dance instruction, spanish lessons, games for the kids and adults and they also did water aerobics. Dahiana, Tuty Fruty, Lukyluky, Nemo, Alcatel, Lucianao Blondy and Wilkins were full of energy and kept the tempo up. Alcatel, Blondy and Dahiana were my favorites as they truly got everyone engaged in the activities and they had an abundance of energy and postitive spirit. Every evening prior to dinner we would go to the main lobby and socialize with other couples around the bar. Kelvin and Janiberky were always ready to serve us with a smile and they were on the ball. We never had to wait for a drink even when the bar was crowded they were always watching, asking and refilling drink orders. Kelvin made the best Bloody Mary`s that my husband ever tasted. The Spa was heavenly. My husband and I went for 4 treatements in total and we were so impressed. I have a high standard for Spa treatments and these ladies exceeded my expectations. I was so relaxed due to the type of massage (Aromotheraphy Bath Massage Treatment) that I fell asleep. I felt renewed, and an amazing sense of peace after the treatment. This is a family resort and there were some families with young children. There was plenty of entertainment for the children as well as the adults. We are telling everyone we know about our experience at the Majestic Colonial as this is now going to be our yearly destination every December. If you want to have a great time, full of fun, relaxation, high quality service and entertainment...this is the ideal resort!

Room Tip: We were in room 1249 (second floor). It was quiet, facing the ocean and also within steps of the poo...
Dear Guest,

It is a truly pleasure know you had such a great time with us and decide to share your experience in Majestic Colonial with others tripadvisor members. We consider the satisfaction of our clients our primary goal; your opinion is essential to the continuous improvement and maintenance of the quality of our service.
We would like to thank you for all your positive comments about our ground and our staff. I will be sure to pass it on to all our staff Luis, Milciades, Dahiana, Tuty Fruty, Lukyluky, Nemo, Alcatel, Lucianao, Blondy, Wilkins, Kelvin, Janiberky, Alcatel, Blondy and Dahiana that will be more than happy to hear such positive feedback

New York City, New York
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 31, 2012

Just returned from a nine-day stay at the Majestic Colonial with my husband and 14-year-old daughter. This was our first time in the Dominican republic, having stayed at all-inclusives in both Jamaica and St. Lucia in the past. This resort exceeded our expectations in many ways. The biggest surprise was how it never felt crowded even though it was Christmas week. Sure, there were lots of people, but we could always find good spots on the beach or by the pool, and felt that the place is really set up to accommodate the number of guests it can hold, something that is not always the case everywhere else. So here's the rundown:

CHECK-IN and ROOM: Very smooth, fast check-in, and when we requested a quiet room on a high floor the man behind the desk (Robinson, really a lovely guy!) gave us a corner room on the top floor with an outdoor jacuzzi in building 1. No view, but honestly, who cares, we just sleep and shower there. Totally quiet. We had a king bed, on the firm side but not as hard as i expected based on previous reviews, and the pillows were fine, at least for us. Daughter slept on a full-size rollaway. There is a lack of privacy with the open bathroom setup, but we managed it fine. Room was nice and clean, housekeeping was good, and water pressure was the best we've ever had in the Caribbean. A/C worked fine. We got treats delivered regularly - fruit platters, brownies, yum.

GROUNDS/FACILITIES: Beautiful, clean, well-maintained. Beach is beautiful, yes there is seaweed, but it's the ocean for heaven's sake, deal with it. Tons of chairs under thatched palapas on the beach, plenty by the pool as well. Pool is GORGEOUS with bridges and a swim up bar. Next year I'll bring pool floats because they don't have them, but otherwise great. The entertainment hall is huge and very comfortable, and the lobby/main building is beautiful. Husband used the gym daily, new equipment and clean.

FOOD: Much better than I expected from an all-inclusive. Tons of choices, everything seemed very fresh, and you could have lots of things made to order at the breakfast and lunch buffets (never did the buffet for dinner, but heard it was good too). There were cooks grilling fish, chicken and steak, making omelettes, crepes, wonderful. Restaurants were all good, especially the fixed menu for Christmas Eve at Tres Carabelas. All three of us did have a bit of tummy trouble for a day or two, not sure why, but nothing serious. I've heard some people stay away from fruits and veggies that are uncooked, and we did eat a lot of fruit and salads. Not sure if that is what caused it - we certainly aren't big drinkers or overeaters. Waiters were all friendly and accommodating, and for my daughter's birthday in Le Gourmet, she was brought a beautiful cake with a sparkler candle! The coffee boys at breakfast were very attentive and friendly, too. Drinks at the bar were served in small cups, but the bartenders had no problem filling larger cups if you brought your own. We did tip bartenders here and there and they seemed to appreciate it, but we never felt as though it was expected.

ACTIVITES/ENTERTAINMENT: Now THIS is what really makes this place so great - the animation team, known as the Funjestic Team. These people work their buns off all day and night, have boundless energy, great senses of fun and humor, and do a great job of getting people involved. And if you strike up a conversation with any of them, they are just all-around nice people. Tutti-Frutti, Blondie, Looky Looky, Diana, Nemo, and the rest (sorry I never caught all of the names!) were just amazing. I cannot say enough good things about them! Nightly entertainment was fun, too - Michael Jackson, magic show, Dominican dance show, great. We also did a ziplining excursion with Canopy Adventure, which was fabulous - but that is separate review.

Overall, I would say this was an extremely enjoyable trip and we would go back in a heartbeat.

Dear Guest,

We would like to thank you for taking the time to write a review and share that overall you had a great time at Majestic Colonial.

One of the best satisfactions is to read that the most notable asset we have is the kindness and attention of our staff as this means that we have meet the most important principle of Majestic Colonial.

It is rewarding to receive compliments from our guests, and it would be even more rewarding to have the pleasure of welcoming you back at the Majestic Colonial.

Ottawa, Ontario, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 31, 2012

Just back from the Majestic Colonial in Punta Cana. Fantastic week there. Stayed in the Club section with Ocean front rooms. Great service from our butlers Rafael and DeLeon. Always asked about how we were doing and what we needed. Sandra at the bar on the beach was very good at making sure the drinks were fresh. The main buffet had a lot of choice. Juan Diaz always had a smile for us and treated us very well. He welcomed us at every meal and made sure we were well looked after by Jhonathan Dela Cruz (coffee boy) and his team. We would easily return to this resort.

Ottawa, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 31, 2012

We had friends who had gone multiple times to the sister resort Majestic Elegance (next door) so since this was our first time in Punta Cana we tried to follow their recommendation but could only find room at the Colonial. We believe we were really lucky as the Club section of Colonial is newer and smaller than the one at Elegance so it feels more friendly. We had a Club Junior suite with Club member privileges, which include a special Club lounge with wifi internet and computers, access to the adults only club pools and bars, special roped off area on the beach etc. The rooms have minibar service and in room service is free to club members. We had a bottle of champagne, rum, vodka, whiskey and Irish cream in the room plus beer and pop that gets refilled everyday as you consume or if you want more you could always take whatever you needed from the club lounge. Room service would go by everyday and knock on the door, if you were in the room they would drop off plates of sushi or fruit and bottles of wine.
The resort is a good size , everything is a short walk to each other, no room is too far from anything and you don't need a shuttle service like in some other resorts. We had room 3330 right in the middle so we had a 1 minute stroll to the beach , or a 1 minute stroll to the restaurants, we had a view of the Club pools and a sliver of the ocean from in between palm trees also a view of the main pool with the zumba and dancing classes which we enjoyed watching while drinking champagne or Rose on our balcony. We preferred the main buffet for breakfast and dinner as they had the most choice and would have a different theme each night. For late breakfast or lunch the restaurant on the beach was our favorite, as we could sit and enjoy the view of the ocean as we ate.
We spent most of our day on the beach, great sand, nice breeze, constant service if you wish. Never felt over crowded like the other resorts we walked in front of along the beach. You always found a palapa if you needed shade, some other resorts had no shade options on their beach sections. so keep that in mind if comparing.

Did a dune buggy excursion and scuba dive to the coral reefs 10 minute boat ride out into the ocean. Both were very enjoyable.

The staff were great, always happy and easy going.

I fear this resort has set the bar quite high for future trips and if returning to Punta Cana we would definitely opt for Majestic Colonial.

Dear Guest,

The main goal we have in Majestic is make our guest feel like at home.

Massillon, Ohio
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 31, 2012

We took a vacation with a group of family members and we were very pleased with the resort. Everyone was more than willing to make our trip a great experience. The food was good, service was great, and everyone greeted us with a smile and/or a high-five. The family is already looking to visit this resort again. The beaches were beautiful, very clean, and the water was very clear. A lot of activities to do at night. Shows, several bars and restaurants, and lots of music. Much better than other resorts I have been to. The staff was so great to us. Our family had a few minor "accidents" on the trip, and Rafael was a staff member who went above and beyond to check on our family every day to make sure that we were doing ok and having a great trip. We cant thank him and everyone enough! Frankling was also another staff member who was very nice and always willing to assist us. Great first family vacation, thank you!!!
Scott, Debbie, Scotty & Abby Butterfield
December 2012

Dear Guest,

We would like to thank you for all your positive comments about our ground and our staff. I will be sure to pass it on to all our staff that will be more than happy to hear such positive feedback

Cordially

Been to Majestic Colonial Punta Cana? Share your experiences!