“Amazing Resort, Amazing Vacation” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Majestic Colonial Punta Cana

Save Saved
You added Majestic Colonial Punta Cana to your Saves list
Majestic Colonial Punta Cana
4.0 of 5 Resort (All-Inclusive)   |   Playa Bavaro, Punta Cana, Dominican Republic   |
Ranked #16 of 100 hotels in Punta Cana
Las Vegas
“Amazing Resort, Amazing Vacation”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 13, 2012

My husband, sister and I stayed at the Majestic Colonial from December 4-11, 2012, and experienced one of the best vacations we ever had! Since I am not sure where to begin, I would first like to start out by saying how wonderful the staff is - every person we encountered was so nice, friendly and always remembered us. Everyone is there to serve to you and ensure you have the best time. We tipped at the beginning of our trip and everyone remembered and took extra care of us! Some $1's and $5's go a long way and the employees are very appreciative. I would like to try and review all areas of the resort since Trip Advisor was so helpful while booking, I hope to help others.

Check-in: The front desk ensured that our check-in was fast and went very smoothly. Since my sister was with my husband and me, we asked that her room be close to ours and it was! Very accomodating. We also enjoyed a nice glass of El Presidente which was served to us during the check-in process.

Rooms: My husband and I stayed in a Junior Swim-up Suite on the first floor, Room 2108. Upgrading to the swim-up while booking was more than worth it. The room was large and we had a hot tub on our patio; from the patio we could walk out directly to the pool which was awesome! The shower has to be one of the best ones I've encountered in a hotel - huge and the water pressure was excellent. The bed was hard as mentioned in other reviews; however, we never spent any time in our room, so when it came time to turn in at night we were so tired it didn't matter where we slept. My sister had a garden room across the way in Room 1106 which was equally as nice. Our rooms were always cleaned - we tipped our maid $10 after the first night and she made sure that we always had enough water and beer in the refridgerator.

Restaurants/Bars: First, the bartenders at every bar were so much fun and made certain we always had a drink! The downstairs Lobby Bar was great and we have to give a special shout out to Victor who worked at the pool bar by our room - he was great and always made sure we were taken care of. We also spent time in the sports bar to watch some American football one evening and had a blast dancing at the discoteca Coco's! Furthermore, as for the restaurants, we ate at the beach buffet or larger buffet by the Lobby Bar for breakfast. The larger buffet has a ton of options, and in fact, that is where we ate most of our dinners since there was so much to choose from. The Japanese Hibachi Grill was a lot of fun and I recommend making a reservation there. The Dominican/Mexican restaurant is also very good. We did not try the French and Steakhouse/Seafood restaurants so I cannot comment on those; however, hats off to all the chefs because they work very hard. I have seen comments about stomach issues, etc. and none of experienced anything major besides some stomachaches, but we are certain that it was because we aren't used to eating such rich food (everything was so good that we wanted to try it all!!). We brought Pepto and Zantac with us, so we were prepared and they did the trick.

Pool/Beach: We chose not to do any excursions and just relax on this vacation. We spent a lot of our time in the mornings at the beach and afternoons in the pool. The beach is gorgeous and my sister and I walked about 4 miles one day and can say the Majestic Colonial has one of the nicer beach areas. There are beach events during the day put on by the Animation Team and there is also a beach-type BBQ where some of the chefs cook paella (which is one of my favorite dishes now!!). The pool is amazing as well and is the entire length of the resort. If you choose to do any water sports, book through Bala on the resort - he's the best. My sister and I rode the banana boat which was so much fun! As for excursions off the resort, if you choose to do them, the different travel reps are by the front desk.

Animation Team/Resort Activities: There is so much to do at the MC. The Animation Team is so much fun and gets everyone going between daytime and nighttime events - these people work their butts off to ensure everyone has a good time. We sang kareokee one night and danced with them at the different bars. The nighttime shows are entertaining too.

I'm hoping that I didn't leave anything out because there are just so many great things to say about the Majestic Colonial. There was only minor constuction going on during our stay and that was on the beach (looks like they're building a beach bar!!). We did not stay in the adult only section (we are used to staying at 18+ all-inclusives) and to be honest, we are happy we didn't because it looked like all the fun was going on in the main pool. We loved meeting people from all over the world and prefer to be around crowds, so where we stayed was perfect.

Overall, we had an amazing vacation, an amazing experience and an amazing time. When we go back to Punta Cana we will be rebooking at the MC.

Room Tip: The swim-up rooms are definitly worth the upgrade.
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled with family
GMColonial, General Manager at Majestic Colonial Punta Cana, responded to this review, December 15, 2012
Dear Guest,

It is a truly pleasure know you had such a great time with us and decide to share your experience in Majestic Colonial with others tripadvisor members. We consider the satisfaction of our clients our primary goal; your opinion is essential to the continuous improvement and maintenance of the quality of our service.
We would like to thank you for all your positive comments about our ground and our staff. I will be sure to pass it on to all our staff that will be more than happy to hear such positive feedback .

11,933 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (2,151)
Calgary, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 13, 2012

This was my first time in the Dominican Republic and i have could not have asked for a better experience. Majestic Colonial was absolutely amazing. Scenery was beautiful, rooms were great, food was excellent, and of course all the booze you could imagine. The staff was all very helpful and accomodating. Ask for Victor at the pool bar, he's awesome. Kept bringing us drinks right up to our swim up room, and topped off all of our drinks with extra alcohol. Nothing bad to say about this hotel at all. Stay here if you come to Punta Cana!!!

Dear Guest,

First of all, I would like to thank you very much for taking the time to write a review about Majestic Colonial. It is a pleasure to hear that you enjoyed your stay with us. I am very pleased that our staff could fulfill your expectations and you felt well attended.
The main goal we have in Majestic is make our guest feel like at home.

Niagara Falls, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 12, 2012

My husband and I went to DR for the first time November 2012 and we couldn't have picked a better resort. We stayed in the new club section of the resort (adults only) and absolutely loved it. Thank you to Elena Alvarez the Club Manager who was on top of everything for us, her and the club team of butlers were amazing! The resort is beautiful, the rooms in the club section are newly renovated and very lovely, the food is great and the staff in all restaurants are at your table before you realize you need another drink or anything else. Should we return the DR we would definitely go back to the Majestic Colonial.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
Dear Guest,

We would like to thank you for all your positive comments about our ground and our staff. I will be sure to pass it on to all our staff especially Elena Alvarez that will be more than happy to hear such positive feedback

st catharines
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 12, 2012

id like to start by sayin we had a fantastic time....i would reccomend this resort to anyone...hotel was beautiful accomodations were good buffetts excellent.....beach was beautiful....thye very best in entertainment...espiciallly the funjestic team dahiana, nemo, wilkins, tutti fruitti blondy luky luky ruth estefuny alcatal were absouletly wonderful......kelvin at the lounge bar was xcellent great service...bach bar ramonmoralez..also francesco pritz was amazing to many more to mention but this team is fantastic service was absolutley excellent ..i will recommend anyone to this resort...i will b bck again no doubt lokkin forward to seein the whole team and staff again OLAH.....

Room Tip: if i do go bck i will request the first floor rooms...just for the fact u can walk right out into th...
Dear Guest,

We would like to thank you for all your positive comments about our ground and our staff. I will be sure to pass it on to all our staff especially that will be more than hap Dahiana, Nemo, Wilkins, Tutti Fuitti ,Blondy ,Lluky Luky ,Ruth ,Estefuny ,Kelvin and Ramon Morales
y Francesco Pritz to hear such positive feedback

Thunder Bay, Canada

Majestic Colonial:
We stayed here partly due to a recommendation from a co-worker, and partly from the positive reviews we read from Trip Advisor. I’d agree with most of the positive reviews of the hotel, as well as some of the negative comments left and experienced by some travelers.
The hotel itself is quite far from the airport, a $35 private taxi ride that gets you there in about 40 minutes Vs. a crowded tour bus that can take hour(s) to load and drop off people. Take a taxi.
Lobby check in was unique for us. When booking, we upgraded the room to the ‘Colonial’ tier. I thought that just meant an ocean view, but quite surprisingly, it meant a whole different experience…More on that, below.
Since we took a taxi, and arrived at the hotel 3 hours earlier than normal check-in we had our bags taken from us and put into storage, they had us relax and drinks-in –hand in no time. Everyone that we encountered was very happy, polite and very easy to deal with.
The main buffet was open at 12:30 and so we decided to poke about and ‘snack’, while waiting for our room to be ready. Well, the buffet was huge and we quickly stuffed ourselves silly. For a buffet, the quality was really quite good. At every meal time, expect to see easily over 100 items of hot/cold selections. Lots of staff to help with dishes, drinks, etc. There is even a made-to-order cook for omlettes, steaks, fish or whatever!
Once that was over with we decided just to chill out near the main lobby and wait for our room. At three, our seemingly own very special concierge came and gave us the grand tour. His name is Angel, and I hope that any of you reading this get a chance to meet with him; he is a very pleasant person to deal with.
We were shown the VIP lounge (the Colonial package, I mentioned). It is in the adults-only section with a very jazzy, clean vibe that has computer stations and no-hassle/charge wi-fi. This area had champagne, wine and whatnot on ice with well appointed décor and finger foods. We hung out here often.
The hotel sits on a rectangular plot, so the vast majority of the rooms are facing in towards the main courtyard and pool. There seemed to be very few ‘Ocean View’ Rooms due to this layout. We had one on the second floor.
So, the room was similarly decorated as the VIP room, it had richly stained wooden closets and furniture, comfy bed and couch, Jacuzzi. Everything you see pictures of on their website.

Minor complaints: The AC: It was unbearably loud at anything over LOW.
Jacuzzi: plug had to get fixed – mood breaker one night.
Poor lighting (not very bright LED’s for bathroom lighting) –wife hated this
Broken lock on the balcony door.
Rain would collect on the inside of our room making something of a mess and slippery as hell.

I feel that with so few rooms for the Ocean View ‘crowd’ the hotel really should maintain these rooms to a higher standard. Although these are minor complaints, it seemed that the overall state of this room was out of place with the rest of the hotel. I’m sure our room was the exception to the rest. Not a disaster, honestly.

Food was fantastsic. As a Colonial Club member (VIP) we were able to order a la carte at the French Restaurant for breakfast or lunch. Didn’t go for dinner at the French restaurant, but lunch was really nice.

Reservations were required at the Japanese restaurant due to the timed presentations of the chef’s meals. It was a fun experience, but the main course amounted to little more than fried rice, chicken, steak and sushi…prepared with flare, of course. Go once, at least.

The Taurino (I still don’t know if it was Italian or Mexican) restaurant was good, but not for everyone. Hard to explain…

Seafood restaurant was great. Not too big of portions, great selection and staff were fun!
Steakhouse (connected to the seafood restaurant) See above.

Beach, as others have said, it was beautiful, warm, clean and well guarded from passing sales people. I recall (in Cozumel) we were assaulted with stupid trinkets every 5 minutes. Not once were we bothered.

Drinks were brought to us frequently, without even asking. Super cool.

We saw 5 or 6 weddings through Sat/Sun. Very nicely done, and very beautiful to watch. We saw a couple of them right from our balcony.

Lastly, the staff was exceptionally memorable. As I mentioned, Angel was great, and very attentive to our requests. He went out of his way for us a couple of times. Alfredo had big smiles and laughs for us, always nice to see him. Franklin in the Colonial Club, very warm person and always smiling. Alba, in the ‘Club’ helped us out on our last day too. Thanks to you all!

So the real essence of the place was that it was filled with great staff, great food, lots of entertainment, great bars, perfect beaches, nice rooms and all for a decent price.

I would definitely take my wife again.

Room Tip: Spend a bit more on the Colonial Club rooms/package. Just for couples though. No yapping children on...
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
Dear Guest,

We would like to thank you for all your positive comments about our ground and our staff. I will be sure to pass it on to all our staff Angel Perez, , Alba and Franklin that will be more than happy to hear such positive feedback

Arlington, Virginia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 12, 2012

I just returned home from a week stay at the Majestic Colonial and I have to say it was the best wedding/vacation ever! I've been to a few all inclusive resorts in Mexico, Jamaica and Royal Caribbean cruises and the Majestic Colonial/Club is above and beyond any all inclusive resort. We had 40 people total visit for the wedding and they all said it was hands down the most fun they had in a long time :) A few reasons why you should consider this resort as your next trip.

The staff was great. They make you feel very welcome and are always there to attend to your needs. We had a wedding here and dealt with Andreine as our wedding planner. She was excellent and always made herself available to us. She really did help plan the most beautiful wedding we have seen..not to mention random people had told us they had never seen a wedding like ours :)

Our Photographer was Junior. This man and his team is amazing! I wish you could see our wedding photos because words cannot describe the photos and video they took for the wedding. Junior has the eye you want for your photos ;) trust me when I say he is the best. You can tell how much me loves what he does through the work he creates for you. The photo sessions we had were: Getting ready, Ceremony, After Ceremony, Cocktail Hour, Recption and lastly a Post Wedding. (we showed our photos to random people and they brought tears to their eyes because they were so beautiful). Junior was excellent and quick with getting our photos and video to us. Our wedding was on a Sat, he had our photos/video ready for viewing/picking on Monday and we hand our physical photos/video in hand on Tuesday morning! Thank you so much Junior! :) te queremos!!!!!!!!!!

Wilkin is the MC we had for our wedding. He's the man!!!! Great guy and really helpful regarding the flow of the reception. Not only did he do a great job, but he will go out of his way to help you with any on the fly changes that occur...since we all know this can happy during a wedding reception. On a side note, my wife and I are sort of foodies and we had a craving for some authentic Dominican Republic food one night. We found Wilkin (not our reception night) and he went out of his way to go get us empanadas, 5 lbs of cooked pork and yucas on his break. Of course it's was an extra cost since he had to go off the resort to get it, but if you don't mind paying the fee and tipping Wilkin, it's well worth it. Thanks Wilkin!!! ;)

Some downsides to the resort:

Our room was nice...but we had some trouble working the AC. It wouldn't turn off so it made sleeping in the room a little cold, but some people may like that. You're definitely going to want as many bottle waters as you can get since you don't really want to drink or use the tap water. So my wife and I gave left a 20 and asked for a case of water. (keep in mind my wife and I are good tippers) If you tip the workers at the resort they will go our of their way for you.

Checking out. I gave them my credit card to pay for the stay, it went through and approved. For some reason the receipt didn't print correctly (Ink was smeared) so instead of fixing the physical receipt printing machine, they cancelled the charge and tried to charge it again. So I had pretty much maxed out my credit card and would have to wait a day or 2 to have the credit go back to my card so they could charge it again. I did have another card I could use, but I get points for every dollar I use on the original credit card and I wanted to incur those points. So they made a mistake by cancelling, but let me leave. I left them with my credit card info and phone # so that we could monitor the credit back, if it ever happens, and they can go ahead and recharge the credit card.

Other than those two things the food was great and way better than the all inclusive resorts I've been to. Drinks are free all day/night...just remember to tip your servers/bartenders ;)

Room Tip: Try to get the beach view on a top floors
Dear Guest:

Thank you for taking the time to write this comment, we really appreciated it.
We feel very glad that you have such a great time among us in Majestic Colonial.

We thank you for to share your suggestions, they are very helpful. Be sure, we have taken note of all your comments.

If you are planning to visit us again, please do not hesitate to contact us. It will be a great pleasure to welcome you back!

Cambridge
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 12, 2012

My Husband and i went to Majestic for our Wedding, with 20 Guests our trip was Awesome! and boy was it ever BEAUTIFUL! Our wedding coordinator Dayra Polanco was amazing! she did everything perfect!! I highly encourage anyone who is considering a destination wedding to go to the Majestic Colonial! Ask for her!!!! I tell ya, she made my life stress free! We couldn't have asked for a more perfect day!

The food was good, the grounds were Unreal, the rooms......
Nice spacious Shower, separate bathroom (Toilet) Double Sinks, Huge Jacuzzi tub in the middle of the room. HUGE King bed. The bed was a little firm, but comfortable. The Sheets are a little Humid but you get use to it. (different climate) The A/C was AWESOME!! The service was amazing! Oscar Alexando Diaz was the best room service guy ever, if you see him in the halls doing his thing flag him down and chat with him hes a wonderful guy! and does a great job he really made our first stay so much better. The service Oscar and his co workers provide is second to none and we will be most certainly coming back in the future!

See ya in the coming years! ;)

Room Tip: we stayed in 2150 a swim up room! it was awesome! we were very close to the beach and pool, which wa...
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled with family
Dear Guest,

We would like to thank you for all your positive comments about our ground and our staff. I will be sure to pass it on to all our staff Dayra Polanco , Oscar and Alexandro Diaz that will be more than happy to hear such positive feedback

Cordially

Been to Majestic Colonial Punta Cana? Share your experiences!