“Magical Wedding at Majestic Colonial” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Majestic Colonial Punta Cana

Save Saved
You added Majestic Colonial Punta Cana to your Saves list
Majestic Colonial Punta Cana
4.0 of 5 Resort (All-Inclusive)   |   Playa Bavaro, Punta Cana, Dominican Republic   |
Ranked #17 of 101 hotels in Punta Cana
Ottawa, Canada
“Magical Wedding at Majestic Colonial”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 3, 2012

Pretty much just returned from an awesome wedding week in Punta Cana(Nov 17-24, 2012) .

To make a quick review....

The wedding was awesome, the weather was very nice, food was excellent except one occasion, they had a bunch of activities for everyone everyday and the Majestic Colonial in D-R made it all come true. We rented a boat La Barcaza on the day of the wedding(with cocktails, entertainement, and open bar...if you drink to much..even washrooms on the boat) and spent an entire afternoon on the ocean and it was a blast for all of our 34 guests.

To top it up, we even did trash the dress in the Ocean and the pool the next day, never had so much fun. Can't wait for the pictures!!! Our photographer from Ottawa Canada Eva Hadhazy Photography was awesome and would recommend her anytime ....

If you have a wedding down south, I would strongly recommend Majestic Colonial...No wonder they do 2-3 weddings a day on this resort. If you need more info p.m. me.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled with family
GMColonial, General Manager at Majestic Colonial Punta Cana, responded to this review, December 6, 2012
Dear Guest,

First of all, I would like to thank you very much for taking the time to write a review about Majestic Colonial. It is a pleasure to hear that you enjoyed your stay with us. I am very pleased that our staff could fulfill your expectations and you felt well attended.

12,307 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (2,274)
Miami
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 2, 2012

This is our 7th visit to the Dominican Republic and our 5th stay at the Majestic Properties. I have to admit our 1st visit to Punta Cana was quite disappointing. We stayed at the Barceló Palace and although the resort was very nice and the service was good, the ambiance was very disturbing. So the following year we traveled to Boca Chica and we stayed at the Hamaca Hilton. While the service was good and the sand was really white and cool, the resort was very disappointing and the food was just ok, better quality food you wanted like lobster or filet mignon was extra. We also tried Puerto Plata, but the beach of Punta Cana is much better. After much insistence by our friends we opted to give Punta Cana a 2nd try and stayed at the Majestic Colonial for the 1st time. Since the day we arrived we immediately noticed the difference from all the others, this resort just won us over. What can I say other than OUTSTANDING in every sense of the word.

We stayed from the 27th of October to November 3rd, this was our 5th stay at the Majestic Properties. Last year my husband wanted to give the Majestic Elegance a try. This property is right next to the Colonial and larger, but our preference is the Colonial. Both resorts are very nice, but there is something very special at the Colonial. There is a special warmth and personal attention we’ve received every single time we visit this resort.

The food is great and the customer service is above reproach, there is genuine desire to make you feel special and comfortable by EVERYONE in the resort, regardless of what they did. There is genuine warmth offered by everyone, from check-in to check-out. No one knows if you will tip or not, but their service is always the same OUTSTANDING. Just imagine sitting on the beach under a tiki and someone comes by offering something cold to drink. Not once but several times both on the beach and by the pool, at the shows every single day. If they don’t have what you want, they make it.

Take lots of $ bills, because you will be tipping, not because it’s expected, but because it is SO deserved. Here in the US we pay 15% to 20% tip even when the service is not that great, how can you not tip when they go out of their way to please you? They earn it, I just wish I could give them more!

This time we took my mother, who is 85, my mother in law who is 88 and my aunt who is 82. I was concerned since there is a lot of walking. To make matters worse, my mother twisted her ankle and I wasn’t sure if the Colonial was accessible for wheelchair users. Praise God, they were and had available wheelchairs to borrow, which gave us a great relief and which made my mother and us very happy! By the way, the wheelchairs were at NO CHARGE!

My family could not understand why we kept going back time after time to the same resort when there were so many other resort options. After being at the Colonial just a couple of hours, my family completely understood why!

There are so many people to thank for this wonderful week, but unfortunately I know I will probably miss and omit some names. These are some of the ones who were super special with all of us: Dorka Carela who is a sweetheart, the busboys and waiters were all great but a special recognition to Jose Luis Martinez, Carlos Belen, Francisco Morla, the restaurant on the beach Manager Leonardo de Leon & the hostess at night Maritza Berroa Viloro, the chef that spoiled us by satisfying our requests Hansel Mendez, Julio Mota who took care of us at our very special dinner at the beach, Nemo from the animation group, Papi Shampoo at the bar at the beach bar that made the best Mojitos and Cosmos. Needless to say a place is as good as the general manager who is Angel Holgado. We were unable to personally meet him to thank him for everything, but we know he took very good care of all of us! Another very special recognition and thank you to the maître de of the Gourmet Restaurant, Mr. De La Rosa, who was extremely kind and took great care of the 3 “girls” while we had our romantic dinner at the beach. He took great care of all of us when we all went there for dinner and then took personal care of them! Words will never truly express our gratitude for all he did. He was not only wonderful but extremely caring, how do you say thank you for that?

We can’t wait to return to the Majestic Colonial, next time will hopefully be with both of our sons and my daughter in law. If you want great service, top notch food, and a fabulous get away, this is the place to come to. I just wish I was able to go back more often.

Room Tip: The higher the numbers the closer to the beach.My favorite building is #2. The rooms that face the p...
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled with family
Dear Guest,

It is a truly pleasure know you had such a great time with us and decide to share your experience in Majestic Colonial with others tripadvisor members. We consider the satisfaction of our clients our primary goal; your opinion is essential to the continuous improvement and maintenance of the quality of our service.
We would like to thank you for all your positive comments about our ground and our staff. I will be sure to pass it on to all our staff especially to Dorka Carela, Jose Luis Martinez, Carlos Belen, Francisco Morla, Maritza Berroa Viloro, Leonardo de Leon, Hansel Mendez, Julio Mota, Mr. De La Rosa, Nemo and Papi Shampoo that will be more than happy to hear such positive feedback

Ontario's Near North, Canada
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 2, 2012

My wife and I stayed here November 12-19. Entire stay was fantastic, a very layed back relaxed vacation. Did absolutely nothing. Not one excursion! Just layed on the beach or by the pool everyday, all day, with lots of walks on the beach in between. Staff are very attentive, especially the wait and bartender staff. Room was great we were in room 2250 at the very end of the pool and right next to the beach just far enough away from all of the crowds and noise from the middle of the pool and close to the Steakhouse Restaurant where we ate many of our meals because of the amazing views and great staff. We only did one a la carte, the Gourmet, the food and atmosphere was great.
The nightly entertainment as mentioned in many of the reviews was good but definately not on par with resorts in Mexico but still fun to watch.
Resort, rooms and grounds were very nice over all. The beach was beautiful, you could walk for miles in both directions.
We went off the resort only once, to the Punta Blanca Shopping Center right outside the gates of the resort. If you venture here to shop be prepared to be pressured a lot!! About 80 stores selling exactly the same stuff! We made it into about six stores, bought some stuff from two friendly and funny guys, Marco Polo and Chocolate and headed back to the resort.
Overall a nice place with freindly staff and good food and drink.

Pointer for the whiners and complainers! BRING TIP MONEY and don't be afraid to spread it around and try to remember how good your life is compared to the staff that live and work here. Open your eyes on the bus drive into the resort to get a full understanding of how these people live when they leave the paradise of the resort and head back to reality!

Would definately return!

Room Tip: If you want peace and quiet and privacy, stay away from the swim up rooms and any room near the swim...
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple

Calgary, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 2, 2012

What started off as an invitation to attend a destination wedding for my nephew and his bride turned out to be a very pleasant week vacation for my wife and I. We have stayed at beautiful all-inclusive resorts in Mexico and visited many of the Caribbean jewels but this first trip to the Dominican Republic was an eye-opener.
The resort is beautiful and the beach is one of the finest we've seen anywhere. The service was outstanding everywhere we went in the hotel but we must send extra praise to the staff at Le Gourmet, the French restaurant on site. Uvaldo, Marco, Aurelina, Esperansa and Michael were outstanding with their service and friendship! At the pool, Jean, Santa and Jose were great and at the beach, Maria made each day extra special. Francisco, the butler was superb along with Eva in the lobby bar and Freddy in the Colonial Club lounge. Thanks very much for making our stay so enjoyable!!! We can't wait to come back!

Room Tip: The upgrade to the Colonial Club is well worth it if you're not taking the kids!
Dear Guest,

We would like to thank you for all your positive comments about our ground and our staff. I will be sure to pass it on to all our staff especially Uvaldo, Marco, Aurelina, Esperansa, Jean, Santa, Francisco, Eva, Jose, Freddy and Michael that will be more than happy to hear such positive feedback

Vaughan, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 2, 2012

This was our second visit to Punta Cana, and the previous one wasn't to the Majestic. We have two kids - almost 8 and almost 2 year olds.

What I liked the most about it (other than wonderful weather, sea, and white sand) were: absolutely terrific "river" pools with bridges; resort's plan (landscape, buildings) is very reasonable and convenient; beachfront organization, spacious room (no. 2221, basic one) with Jacuzzi (a lot of fan both for adults and especially kids), separate washroom and shower, two queen beds, one sofa, and even - extra crib (also big), and big balcony there; cleanness (both in the room and everywhere outside); truly friendly employees (e.g., Jose de la Rosa, reception people: Amado, Eunice, Benjamin, Tillmann, and most waiters and waitresses and care takers); food and drinks. It worth mentioning that Expedia Blue team did great job too (transfers to/from the airport, information), thank you.

I liked bars and music there too (especially the bar in the main lobby, lower level), but for apparent reason we could not explore and enjoy neither night life nor most day-time programs there in full (and we did not take part in any of many wedding ceremonies there too :)).

There was nothing serious to complain or regret about except for a few little things I did not quite like, such as: minor guts/stomach upsets (I would not blame hotel practices for these, but rather - sea/pool water, our kids' not clean hands, caribbean microflora, etc., so - just do not forget to bring some general purpose skin antiseptic and digestive help medicine on your trip and try to eat your breakfast and lunch rather sooner than later, e.g., at 12 instead 4 pm...); some barmen bothered me with Spanish, intentionally and knowingly making me feel somewhat uncomfortable (hey, I truly respect Spanish and DR, still - do not feel obligated to learn DR's history and language or make barmen happy, and by the way, we paid for service, weather, and joy only); sadly, kids can find many butts in the sand (hey smokers on the beach, you suck) :)

We had great vacation. We will return. Thank you.

Room Tip: room 2221 was good (it's pool view, second floor, in the middle between the lobby/buffet and bea...
Dear Guest,

We would like to thank you for all your positive comments about our ground and our staff. I will be sure to pass it on to all our staff especially Amado, Eunice, Benjamin, Tillmann and Jose de la Rosa that will be more than happy to hear such positive feedback

3 of 5 stars Reviewed December 1, 2012 via mobile

The room was huge and well furnished. The staff was very friendly. ($1,$2&$5 tips go a long way). As I said the beach is great. After that there isn't much to do. The other activities are minimum (they look good on the activity board).
The shows are more high school than resort quality. The actors are good but the directing and costumes and sets were poor.
The food was good with many choices. The Gourmet French restaurant was very good. Say hello to Jenny.

Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
Dedham, Massachusetts
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 1, 2012

Can't say enough about our wonderful vacation. The hotel and staff were amasing. Especially our new friends Jose Saber and David Pache at wet bar club #1. Jose is the best ! The pool was right outside of our room, so it was fun to swim up and visit with them everyday. The food was great, so don't be alarmed by what you may read in other reviews. The staff work hard, always right there when needed. They are so appreciative of gratuities and deserve them. The beach is gorgeous with plenty of areas to find shade if you are not a sun worshiper. Loved the fact that you could see them making upgrades and improvements to the hotel. Can't wait to go back again.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple

Cordially

Been to Majestic Colonial Punta Cana? Share your experiences!