“Fantastic Vacation!” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Majestic Colonial Punta Cana

You added Majestic Colonial Punta Cana to your Saves list
Majestic Colonial Punta Cana
4.0 of 5 Resort (All-Inclusive)   |   Playa Arena Gorda Bavaro, Punta Cana, Dominican Republic   |
Ranked #36 of 98 Hotels in Punta Cana
montreal
“Fantastic Vacation!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 20, 2012

We flew by Westjet, the flight creww where warm and friendly and the flight was a very pleasant experience. Check in at the Resort was fast and easy, the front desk staff very freindly. The food was very good at the buffet and the Japenese and Mexician Restaurant was both good as well. But I would have to say that what really made our trip was the staff in general, they were happy , friendly, and very efficent. I would single out some but to be honest they were all excellant. The moment you finished your plate, before you knew it it was cleared, or your glass was filled as soon as it was emptied. There was a beautiful beach party on our last night, it was wonderful, live music, BBQ chicken, ribs, etc..,. The tables and chairs were set up on the beach and it made for a very fun atmophere, unfourtunally it rained, but the speed in which the staff moved to clear everything was incrediable. We travel at least once a year, this was our first time to Punta Cana, we will definetaly return and I feel no need to look for a different resort as this one one had everything you need and then som e. Beautiful rooms, clean impressive lobby well stocked bars but above all the service and the workers were 5 star plus!

• Stayed October 2012, traveled with family
GMColonial, General Manager at Majestic Colonial Punta Cana, responded to this review, November 22, 2012
Dear Guest,

We would like to thank you for taking the time to write a review and share that overall you had a great time at Majestic Colonial.

One of the best satisfactions is to read that the most notable asset we have is the kindness and attention of our staff as this means that we have meet the most important principle of Majestic Colonial.

It is rewarding to receive compliments from our guests, and it would be even more rewarding to have the pleasure of welcoming you back at the Majestic Colonial.

Cordially

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (2,779)
  • Polish first
Charlotte, North Carolina
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 19, 2012

I have been going throughout Dominican for 8 years now and this resort by far exceeded my expectations by far. The Staff was absolutely phenomenal. Your beverage of choice never made it to the bottom. The breakfast buffet with many sections cook to order was great. The rooms very clean and kept that way. The pools were gorgeous with bar staff that was off the chart. I highly recommend this resort to anyone looking for all the above. My Wife and I will be back on our 10th Anniversary next year!

Room Tip: The resort is stretched out some so if you are beach goers then ask for room closer to beach.
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
Dear Guest

Thank you for taking the time to share your experience in Majestic Colonial with others Tripadvisors members, we feel very pleased you had these beautiful holidays with us.
We would like to thank you for all your positive comments about our ground and our staff. I will be sure to pass it on to all our staff that will be more than happy to hear such positive feedback

We wish you could visit us soon

montreal
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 19, 2012

We just spent 5 nights nov 6-11, 2012.
It is very good but we we're expecting more.
Trip advisor rating are based on number of ratings to resorts, Majestic has thousands of reviews, some are from when it was brand new.
It seems that the General Manager reads and reply to many comments made by the GUEST who are paying good money for room, Remember this is is a five star resort.

So here it goes.

We we're at a another resort fort the first four nights and had arranged transfer with Book It and that was perfect, 40.00 for retund hotel transfer for two. excellent.
When we got to the hotel, check-in was perfect and we're greated by a Young German Guy on apprenticeship. we arrived at the hotel at around three in the afternoon, our room wasn,t ready for another 1 hour. but no problem came back to get our key.
We had been aware of the construction that was going on and we we're scared a little bit. but at First look at the resort was quite ok, and most of the construction we're like across the resort all the way down to the beach.
We we're in room 2345, 3'rd floor, little ocean view, because of nice Palm trees and across the pool bar, no problem for us.
We arrived on a tuesday, that night the buffet was closed, so was Gourmet, and mexican, only the Steak house was open by the beach.
All the Scheduled was mixed up all the week, the opening, opening hours etc.
Tried to make a reservation for Japenesse and we we,re told 1 day in advance, so ok next day around 11 got to guest relation and we're told full again, so that wasn't a good answer for me, and i decided to insist and by magic got space at the table. The chef, sorry dont't know his name, but he was very good, the the waiter was bellow average, and unpleasant, this should not happen in a 5 star, finally ended up eating my dessert with my hand, never brought back the spoon he took out.
Our room was nice, but old a little, bit, hard mattress and not so good pillow, air conditioner was not cold, it never stopped for 5 nights, never got face cloth, 1 day no towels.
One very bad thing, one night, we we're returning to our room, and 3 people in 3 rooms on the same floor, their key were'nt working. Well it happened to us also, the walk to the front desk is very far, so that was a problem.
The shows never happend at the collonial while we we're there, because the theater was used for furniture storring for the new rooms.
Guest are not allowed at the lobby bar for drinks after the shows at the Elegance, because of the inconveniances they should have allowed us services at the ellegance.
I've seen report about the disco, we only went once, and it was enouph, not too good, very dark, and boring musik, the dj makes a very good job for the hotel, nobody stays and drink.
The pools and ground are nice, the extra section for adults, once completed will be nice.
Service at restaurant was good in general.
The hallway to the rooms are dirty a little bit, some burn't lights, cracked ceramics etc, need repairs.
Management should have been more present around construction time and even if renovation are required, you need to be carefullabout existing clients, Punta Cana area have 100 Hotels.
Majestic Colonial missed the opportunity to WOW'D us.
Would consider going to Elegance but not so soon.

Room Tip: Room no 2345 is a perfect location
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
Dear Guest:

Thank you for taking the time to write this comment, we really appreciated it.
We feel very glad that you have such a great time among us in Majestic Colonial.

We thank you for to share your suggestions, they are very helpful. Be sure, we have taken note of all your comments.

If you are planning to visit us again, please do not hesitate to contact us. It will be a great pleasure to welcome you back!

Cleveland, OH
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 19, 2012

We stayed at the Majestic Colonial from October 29-November 3rd. We are very lucky that the vacation even happened, as we barely made it out of Cleveland before Hurricane Sandy brought major grief to the area. We rescheduled our flight to leave a day earlier. Thank goodness my husband is platinum through United, so they were more accommodating in getting us on another flight. After we made it through the initial stress, our vacation was on its way and it was definitely worth it! It was a great opportunity for us to get away and really enjoy quality family time together. It was a multi-generational trip consisting of my husband, my in-laws, my eight-year-old stepson and my 11-month-old son.

Arrival into the Punta Cana Airport
It’s definitely the coolest/strangest airport I’ve ever seen. It really looks like a hut! The guys offering to take your bags were a bit pushy, but after a firm “No”, they left us alone. The layout is a little convoluted and it took us a few minutes to find our transfer company, but we landed at a fairly quiet time, a Monday afternoon, so we didn’t have to deal with hoards of people. We were sitting on bus about 30 minutes after landing.

Transfer
Our travel agency, All Inclusive Outlet (great company, by the way) arranged our transport through VIP. They were very helpful and professional and the shuttle was comfortable. The guides made the drive fun by telling stories of the country and pointing out landmarks on the way. The DR is a little rough-around the edges, much like Jamaica, but we enjoyed that it wasn’t totally Americanized like Mexico. Because we had to stop at other hotels first, the whole drive took about 40 minutes.

Hotel Reception and Check-In
Our check-in with very prompt and we were glad to receive our first of many Majestics! We were in our room with our luggage in about 10 minutes.

Room
As other reviews have noted, there was a musty smell when we first entered the room, but it quickly dissipated and I only noticed it that one time. As I walked toward the balcony I saw a nice surprise, we had a pool view room when I paid for garden view. We really enjoyed sitting on patio watching the pool before heading to dinner each night. The bed and sheets were fine. I wasn’t expecting a Sleep Number bed with 300-count Egyptian cotton sheets anyway. The toilet was a little cramped, like people have said, but the huge walk-in shower totally made up for that. The AC worked perfectly and we didn’t have any maintenance issues at all. You could tell the room had been used, but there wasn’t anything more than normal wear and tear. It was very pretty overall.

Housekeeping
Housekeeping was just fine. The housekeeper even folder our clothes and organized our toiletries. We always came back to a clean room every afternoon.

Hotel and Grounds
The grounds are meticulously maintained and absolutely gorgeous. The lobby is sprawling with a grand feel to it. We loved having drinks there after dinner each night! Again, you can see some wear and tear if you look closely, but nothing major at all. The fountains, flowers and other foliage are just breath-taking. Yes, there is construction on the other half of the resort, but it didn’t impact us at all. We only heard it when we walked by on the way to the beach. It wasn’t disruptive in the slightest.

Pool
We hit the pool first, as it was right below our room. Wow! I prefer the beach over the pool typically, but this one was seems to go on forever. We felt like we had our section all to ourselves. Yes, there were a few tiles missing here and there, but this certainly didn’t impact our enjoyment of it. The pool bar was an awesome place to hang out and play games, take a Zumba class and meet people from all over the world. My stepson had a blast hanging out at the pool bar and playing volleyball and other games with children from other cultures.

Beach
This was by far the best beach I have ever seen! The sand was soft and white and the water that postcard turquoise. It was choppy a few days, which I preferred for some awesome body surfing. When it was calm, we did snorkeling, and there were some cool fish to see. Look for the ones with the pointy nose! We didn’t have a problem getting a shaded sunbed right by the water at any time of the day, but I realize that we were there during the off-season.

Kid’s Club
The Kid’s Club was cute, a little run down, but it looked like they had a decent amount of things for kids to do. It had a pool with a slide, a playground and an inside area with video games, movies, a bounce house, etc. Unfortunately, my stepson was the only child there so we didn’t stay very long.

The food was really the only disappointment of the trip. We were rather annoyed that they only had certain restaurants opened on certain days. I understand that it is off-season, but I always pick resorts that have lots of dining options and didn’t like having to check the schedule every evening to see what was open to us. They canceled the BBQ beach party on our first night due to weather, even though it was clear all night. Therefore, we were stuck eating at the buffet and it wasn’t very good. Yes, you could find something to eat, but a lot of it was cold and dry. We found the same to be true for the breakfast buffet. Eggs on a buffet just don’t work. Just make them all to order. (They did have the fresh omlett station, which was pretty good.)The beach buffet restaurant, open for lunch and snacks, seemed to be much better, especially if you go early. Our dinners were also decent. I enjoyed the Japanese ala carte, but the rest of my family thought it was just so-so. My whole family LOVED the steak restaurant. They actually gave us the option to order from the steak or seafood menu, so that was nice. We found the Dominican restaurant to be pretty good. We didn’t try the French or the Hibachi. A repeat guest told that the food, especially on the buffet, is generally better during the peak season, as it turns more often. I guess I understand that, but the quality really should be consistent.

Drinks
No complaints about the drinks. I actually liked the Dominican rum and if you wanted it a little stronger, just ask for a double shot and they will accommodate. There are plenty of bars around the resort, so you will always have drink in hand! Bottled water is available everywhere too, so no worries about staying hydrated.

We really had no issues with service at all. Everyone was very friendly, although they don’t fawn all over you like they do in Mexico. That was just fine with us, as we don’t need someone to carry our plates to the table or check on us every five minutes. I needed ice for my son’s milk cooler regularly and everyone was great in helping us. The beach and pool service was also friendly and prompt We expected much more a language barrier and we were fine with that, as this is THEIR country! However, everyone we came in contact with at least knew conversational English. I definitely think it’s important to tip to show your appreciation, especially because they don’t make very much money.

Excursion
We did the Stingray Bay Caribbean Festival. We took a Catamaran to an enclosed area where you get to swim with sharks and learn about and touch the stingrays. It wasn’t very long, about 45-minutes or so, but enough when you have kids. Then we hoped back on the boat to go snorkeling. Unfortunately, we were not able to snorkle that day because the water was rough, but they took us to a calm area where we could wade. After we got back in the boat, they crew put on a show with brightly-colored costumes and we got to dance. They had snacks, including fruit, crackers, soda and alcohol after the snorkeling. We brought my baby on the boat and they provided us with a car seat for him to sit in more securely. (My mother-in-law watched him while we swam. Next year he’s coming with us though! ) The crew also played with him and made him feel special. I would recommend Stringray Bay as a worthwhile family excursion.

Shuttle Back to Airport
I met with our VIP rep, who was at the hotel for several hours every day, about scheduling our ride back to the airport. It was an easy process, although we were hoping Newark would have remained closed, so we could have stayed a little bit longer. HA! The shuttle guide was very friendly and got us to the airport in plenty of time.

The whole family really enjoyed our trip. Could you nit pick and find something to complain about? Sure, but the point of vacation is to relax and enjoy and we did just that! We are so glad that our boys got to experience such a wonderful resort in an even better country!

Room Tip: Go to the beach buffet early for the freshest food.
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled with family
Dear Guest,

It is a truly pleasure know you had such a great time with us and decide to share your experience in Majestic Colonial with others tripadvisor members. We consider the satisfaction of our clients our primary goal; your opinion is essential to the continuous improvement and maintenance of the quality of our service.

Edmonton, Canada
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 18, 2012

This resort was the worst resort that i have been to so far, from a hard king size bed to old towels and sheets wore out, unclean bathrooms by the pool, and the average food that was available, noisey place from half the resort being under construction and the music being played over and over. I would never recommend the resort to anyone!

• Stayed November 2012, traveled with friends
Red Deer, Canada
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 18, 2012

10 days at the wonderful Majestic Colonial for 3 people.

Everything we read says to NOT drink the water in the Dominican Republic. After 7 days of having stomach issues we looked at the bottled water closer. Even though the label said Dasani on it and had the Coca Cola logo on it, it was in Spanish. What we could glean from the label the water was actually filtered and prepared in the Dominican Republic. We were trying to stay hydrated so we all drank lots of bottled water until we discovered it is local water. We still are not sure if it was the water or the food that affected our stomachs, still affected for over 10 days now.

Despite the stomach issues it is a beautiful resort and the staff are excellent and friendly. In particular Marcos who works in the beach bar is friendly, fun, and makes the best Dirty Monkeys on the resort.

Another staff member to note is one of the grounds workers. Dressed in green, raking and cleaning the beach this individual always gave us a huge smile and a thumbs up whenever he was cleaning up around our chairs. We tried communicating with him and learned through his French that he was from Haiti, has a son, and we think his name was Alianzo.

All in all we had a great vacation. This was our second time to the Majestic Colonial, because of our stomach issues this time we are not sure we will return. We believe the bottled water was imported last year. We would go back if the bottled water is imported.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled with family
Dear Guest,

We would like to thank you for all your positive comments about our ground and our staff. I will be sure to pass it on to all our staff especially Marcos and Alianzo that will be more than happy to hear such positive feedback

Red Deer
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 18, 2012

My husband and I stayed at the Majestic Colonial with our 10yr old daughter for 10 days (Nov 6 - 16). We also travelled with another couple and their 2 teenage kids as well. Overall we enjoyed our stay at this resort.

- Check in/out was quick and easy

- Rooms were spacious with a nice balcony. (Sat there and watched a rainstorm with a couple of cervesas). We looked away from the resort at the neighboring resort. Still had a bit of an ocean view, which was nice. The open concept bathroom that many reviewers complained about wasn't a big problem for us, but I can see how it would be if you are travelling with older children or just a friend. (Would have to change in the shower for privacy) Beds were not great, but they were what I expected. I actually didn't mind the pillows.

- Mini fridge was restocked daily with pop, 4 bottles of water, and 2 beer. We left a note(in spanish) along with a small tip in the fridge a few days and had no trouble getting 4 beer. By the end of the trip 2 was sufficient!

- Beautiful grounds, pool, and beach area. We divided our time between the pool and beach. Service to both hit and miss. Sometimes you couldn't get your drink finished before they were there with another one again and othertimes, you hardly ever saw a server. Wasn't a big deal for us, we just walked up to the bar and got our own, but is nice to be served in your chair.

- Drinks - My daughter was addicted to the Majestic, which was their signature drink. It is a blended drink that tastes a bit like an orange creamsicle. Most of the bars have it available in slurpie machines. If you like, they will add some rum to it as well. I had read some complaints about the drinks being watered down, but that definitely wasn't the case for us. I learned after the first couple of days to ask for only a little alchohol, because if I didn't they would be too strong! Also, as per many other trip advisor reviews we brought insulated bubba kegs which I would reccommend. The plastic cups they serve the drinks in are very small and they warm up very quickly.

- The kids really enjoyed the beach and ocean. They had a large swimming area roped off. My daughter would swim out and look under the water with goggles and see lots of fish. (didn't bother with snorkels) They brought out bread for them a few times, and then they really had a lot of fish! Also rented bougie boards once (no charge, but you do have to sign for them), which was fun.

- They brought out a giant inflatable water slide to the pool a couple of times. (I think on Wednesdays). It was a lot of fun

- My daughter went to the kids club one day. She had fun on the small water slides, but it definitely needs some improvement. She wouldn't have enjoyed being left there for long.

- Sevice for the most part was really good. Our favorites were Manuel and Irwin at the beach bar. They were very friendly and made great drinks. (a bit too good a couple of nights) We met them on the first night and went back almost every night afterwards for a drink or two with them!

- Food - If it wasn't for the food, I would have given the resort a 5 instead of a 4. (It possibly will be better once the rest of the resort is re-opened and the restaurants are all open every night. (Main buffet was only open every second night while we were there).) Most of the food was quite bland and missing seasoning. We tried all of the al la cartes as well. All of our group ended up with upset stomachs and diarrhea at least once throughout the trip. I don't really think it was food poisoning or anything, but just that our systems aren't accustomed to their food. (Bring immodium!)

Our impressions of the restaurants were as follows:

Main dinner buffet - Quite good with lots of selections. Pasta station was really good. One night they had sushi as well.

Lunch buffet at beach - lots of selections, with pizza, pasta, burgers, fries, etc., but became repetetive over the course of the 10 days. A few things were changed up each day, but mostly the same. The best lunch we had was the one day they had barbecued burgers on the beach. They were actually quite good.

Breakfast Buffet - Lots of selections. If you like omelets, there was a station every morning, also lots of pastries, toast, cereal, etc. The highlight of the breakfast buffet for me were the make yourself mimosas. They were so refreshing! They also had a make yourself bloody mary station, but unfortunately for you Canadians, no Caesars!

Matsuri - (Japanese restaurant), which was by far our favorites of the al la carte. You have to make reservations to attend the cooking show, which we did twice. The first time was awesome. I wish I could remember the chef's name, because he was so good and so funny. We went a few nights later and the food wasn't quite as good and the chef didn't interact with the group very much. We also went once more to just eat off the menu. It was also very good. I'm not a sushi fan, but others in our group really enjoyed it. The spring roll appetizers, were also really good.

Le Gourmet - French restaurant. (Also requires reservations.) It was pretty good. My biggest complaint is that the menu is quite limited. Only 1 entree didn't have seafood and all of the appetizers had seafood. (Not great for the 2 of us that don't like seafood) For the members of our group that liked it, it was really good. The food was also presented beautifully there.

Seafood/Steak - We only ate there once, and they offered up menus from both restaurants. (Not sure if they will continue to do this, once the resort is full) This was by far our worst meal of the trip. 2 of us had chicken, which wasn't bad, but the rest had lobster which was absolutely terrible. It was very foul tasting and tough. Quite disappointing.

Overall though, we had a really good stay and would consider this resort again. The construction looked like it was finished on the last 2 days and they were starting to admit guests into the new adults only area.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled with family
Dear Guest,

First of all, I would like to thank you very much for taking the time to write a review about Majestic Colonial. It is a pleasure to hear that you enjoyed your stay with us. I am very pleased that our staff could fulfill your expectations and you felt well attended especially for Manuel and Irwin.
The main goal we have in Majestic is make our guest feel like at home

Cordially

Been to Majestic Colonial Punta Cana? Share your experiences!