“Average resort” 3 of 5 stars
Review of Majestic Colonial Punta Cana

You added Majestic Colonial Punta Cana to your Saves list
Majestic Colonial Punta Cana
4.0 of 5 Resort (All-Inclusive)   |   Playa Arena Gorda Bavaro, Punta Cana, Dominican Republic   |
Ranked #29 of 102 Hotels in Punta Cana
Edmonton, Canada
“Average resort”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 18, 2012

This resort was the worst resort that i have been to so far, from a hard king size bed to old towels and sheets wore out, unclean bathrooms by the pool, and the average food that was available, noisey place from half the resort being under construction and the music being played over and over. I would never recommend the resort to anyone!

• Stayed November 2012, traveled with friends
2 Thank jrider427

Red Deer, Canada
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 18, 2012

10 days at the wonderful Majestic Colonial for 3 people.

Everything we read says to NOT drink the water in the Dominican Republic. After 7 days of having stomach issues we looked at the bottled water closer. Even though the label said Dasani on it and had the Coca Cola logo on it, it was in Spanish. What we could glean from the label the water was actually filtered and prepared in the Dominican Republic. We were trying to stay hydrated so we all drank lots of bottled water until we discovered it is local water. We still are not sure if it was the water or the food that affected our stomachs, still affected for over 10 days now.

Despite the stomach issues it is a beautiful resort and the staff are excellent and friendly. In particular Marcos who works in the beach bar is friendly, fun, and makes the best Dirty Monkeys on the resort.

Another staff member to note is one of the grounds workers. Dressed in green, raking and cleaning the beach this individual always gave us a huge smile and a thumbs up whenever he was cleaning up around our chairs. We tried communicating with him and learned through his French that he was from Haiti, has a son, and we think his name was Alianzo.

All in all we had a great vacation. This was our second time to the Majestic Colonial, because of our stomach issues this time we are not sure we will return. We believe the bottled water was imported last year. We would go back if the bottled water is imported.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled with family
3 Thank Anne J
GMColonial, General Manager at Majestic Colonial Punta Cana, responded to this review, November 22, 2012
Dear Guest,

It is a truly pleasure know you had such a great time with us and decide to share your experience in Majestic Colonial with others tripadvisor members. We consider the satisfaction of our clients our primary goal; your opinion is essential to the continuous improvement and maintenance of the quality of our service.
We would like to thank you for all your positive comments about our ground and our staff. I will be sure to pass it on to all our staff especially Marcos and Alianzo that will be more than happy to hear such positive feedback

Red Deer
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 18, 2012

My husband and I stayed at the Majestic Colonial with our 10yr old daughter for 10 days (Nov 6 - 16). We also travelled with another couple and their 2 teenage kids as well. Overall we enjoyed our stay at this resort.

- Check in/out was quick and easy

- Rooms were spacious with a nice balcony. (Sat there and watched a rainstorm with a couple of cervesas). We looked away from the resort at the neighboring resort. Still had a bit of an ocean view, which was nice. The open concept bathroom that many reviewers complained about wasn't a big problem for us, but I can see how it would be if you are travelling with older children or just a friend. (Would have to change in the shower for privacy) Beds were not great, but they were what I expected. I actually didn't mind the pillows.

- Mini fridge was restocked daily with pop, 4 bottles of water, and 2 beer. We left a note(in spanish) along with a small tip in the fridge a few days and had no trouble getting 4 beer. By the end of the trip 2 was sufficient!

- Beautiful grounds, pool, and beach area. We divided our time between the pool and beach. Service to both hit and miss. Sometimes you couldn't get your drink finished before they were there with another one again and othertimes, you hardly ever saw a server. Wasn't a big deal for us, we just walked up to the bar and got our own, but is nice to be served in your chair.

- Drinks - My daughter was addicted to the Majestic, which was their signature drink. It is a blended drink that tastes a bit like an orange creamsicle. Most of the bars have it available in slurpie machines. If you like, they will add some rum to it as well. I had read some complaints about the drinks being watered down, but that definitely wasn't the case for us. I learned after the first couple of days to ask for only a little alchohol, because if I didn't they would be too strong! Also, as per many other trip advisor reviews we brought insulated bubba kegs which I would reccommend. The plastic cups they serve the drinks in are very small and they warm up very quickly.

- The kids really enjoyed the beach and ocean. They had a large swimming area roped off. My daughter would swim out and look under the water with goggles and see lots of fish. (didn't bother with snorkels) They brought out bread for them a few times, and then they really had a lot of fish! Also rented bougie boards once (no charge, but you do have to sign for them), which was fun.

- They brought out a giant inflatable water slide to the pool a couple of times. (I think on Wednesdays). It was a lot of fun

- My daughter went to the kids club one day. She had fun on the small water slides, but it definitely needs some improvement. She wouldn't have enjoyed being left there for long.

- Sevice for the most part was really good. Our favorites were Manuel and Irwin at the beach bar. They were very friendly and made great drinks. (a bit too good a couple of nights) We met them on the first night and went back almost every night afterwards for a drink or two with them!

- Food - If it wasn't for the food, I would have given the resort a 5 instead of a 4. (It possibly will be better once the rest of the resort is re-opened and the restaurants are all open every night. (Main buffet was only open every second night while we were there).) Most of the food was quite bland and missing seasoning. We tried all of the al la cartes as well. All of our group ended up with upset stomachs and diarrhea at least once throughout the trip. I don't really think it was food poisoning or anything, but just that our systems aren't accustomed to their food. (Bring immodium!)

Our impressions of the restaurants were as follows:

Main dinner buffet - Quite good with lots of selections. Pasta station was really good. One night they had sushi as well.

Lunch buffet at beach - lots of selections, with pizza, pasta, burgers, fries, etc., but became repetetive over the course of the 10 days. A few things were changed up each day, but mostly the same. The best lunch we had was the one day they had barbecued burgers on the beach. They were actually quite good.

Breakfast Buffet - Lots of selections. If you like omelets, there was a station every morning, also lots of pastries, toast, cereal, etc. The highlight of the breakfast buffet for me were the make yourself mimosas. They were so refreshing! They also had a make yourself bloody mary station, but unfortunately for you Canadians, no Caesars!

Matsuri - (Japanese restaurant), which was by far our favorites of the al la carte. You have to make reservations to attend the cooking show, which we did twice. The first time was awesome. I wish I could remember the chef's name, because he was so good and so funny. We went a few nights later and the food wasn't quite as good and the chef didn't interact with the group very much. We also went once more to just eat off the menu. It was also very good. I'm not a sushi fan, but others in our group really enjoyed it. The spring roll appetizers, were also really good.

Le Gourmet - French restaurant. (Also requires reservations.) It was pretty good. My biggest complaint is that the menu is quite limited. Only 1 entree didn't have seafood and all of the appetizers had seafood. (Not great for the 2 of us that don't like seafood) For the members of our group that liked it, it was really good. The food was also presented beautifully there.

Seafood/Steak - We only ate there once, and they offered up menus from both restaurants. (Not sure if they will continue to do this, once the resort is full) This was by far our worst meal of the trip. 2 of us had chicken, which wasn't bad, but the rest had lobster which was absolutely terrible. It was very foul tasting and tough. Quite disappointing.

Overall though, we had a really good stay and would consider this resort again. The construction looked like it was finished on the last 2 days and they were starting to admit guests into the new adults only area.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled with family
2 Thank albertasuntraveller
Dear Guest,

First of all, I would like to thank you very much for taking the time to write a review about Majestic Colonial. It is a pleasure to hear that you enjoyed your stay with us. I am very pleased that our staff could fulfill your expectations and you felt well attended especially for Manuel and Irwin.
The main goal we have in Majestic is make our guest feel like at home

Boston, Massachusetts
2 of 5 stars Reviewed November 18, 2012

We go to the Majestic Colonial every October, and this was the first time I have been disappointed with the Majestic. Arrived at 3:40PM...our swimi-up junior suite not ready with only half the resort open due to construction. Once we got in the room we noticed a few amenities missing...no bottle of Brugal or Johnny Walker Red as in the past. Not a big deal.
That evening noticed lights out over the bathroom sinks and the shower would not drain. Reported it to main desk and was told it would be fixed immediately. Didn't happen. The beach was wonderful of course and Maria, as usual, is the best on the beach for bringing your drinks. She is a lovely girl and met all our needs.
Animation staff on the beach was terrible this year. No stretching classes and had no ability to entice guests into playing beach games...maybe 10 of us participated all week. The music on the beach was a disk that kept repeating and skipping on one song so much WE had to unplug the music and were thanked by many of the other guests lying on the beach.
Bar pool was great (many thanks to Milciades), but even there the Animation team was not up to par as in years past.
Back to our room where the lights and showers were still not fixed...reported it a 2nd time, nothing done. In talking to other guests situated near us, they also had problems with lights being out that hadn't been addressed after reporting it.
Dinners were ok...stick to the Japanese, Mexican and Steakhouse. Buffet was marginal this year. There was no buffet lunch at all this year in the large dining room...very disappointed...no explanation for this, perhaps because half the resort was under construction?
The construction didn't bother us, but anyone considering staying in the new "over 18 only" section at the Majestic....save your money. New pool is very tiny and narrow and there is absolutely no space outside of your room before the pool. There is no difference at all in the "over 18 only" rooms so I don't know what you would be paying extra for.
Finally, after three days and catching a manager in the hallway, our shower drain and lights were fixed...I also asked him to fix the lights in the rooms adjacent to us, and the other guests were thrilled. Recompense amounted to a bubble bath with flowers thrown in...not a fan of bubble baths, but okay...I guess they tried.
Spa was great, downstairs lobby bar was great (thanks to Alex, Eva, Tyrone).
We did get some rain and wind from Hurricane Sandy, but this didn't bother us as we had met some great people from London to hang with.
Perhaps the most "interesting" note to this trip...hand sanitizer was being handed out at the buffet restaurant for the first time in 7 years. I knew several people that were ill during their vacation and I got a touch of something, but it was obvious to everyone that something was going through the resort, yet no note under the door of any kind.
Evening entertainment was split between the Colonial and the Elegance...perhaps because half the Majestic was closed? Again...the Animation team was no where near as good as the team from last year or the years prior to that. Same shows they've been doing for 7 years so we skipped a couple and went to the Karaoke which is always fun.
If it weren't for the beach and the bartenders and servers like Maria, Eva, Milciades, Alex and Tyrone, I don't know if we will go back. After 6 years of loving the Majestic, I will have to think twice before I recommend it to a friend.

Room Tip: Stay in a junior swim up suite. I wouldn't pay extra to stay in the "18 and above" ar...
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
4 Thank ngg2118
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 18, 2012

We spent our honeymoon in Punta Cana, at Majestic Colonial, from the 10th to the 25th of October, and we would recommend it to everyone with no reservations! Our stay there was interesting, romantic, full of new experiences and new friends!
Everyone was very friendly, all the people in the staff were ready to do everything to please the guests.
The entertainment team was great, Tyrone from the bar in the Lower Lobby was our best friend after 2 days, Alona from Public Relations was very nice and very helpful and Maria, serving drinks on the beach, was smiling every time, calling for us: "how are you, mi amor?". Every day on the beach we were waiting for her to come! :) The cleaning service in the rooms was great!
The restaurants were amazing, each one had it's own special thing. We loved Dominican Night, Noche de Gala, Gourmet and Matsuri.
From the excursions we booked our favorite guide was Jonnathan, from Bavaro Runners!
If we have the chance we will go back to Majestic Colonial Punta Cana, for sure!!!
Thank you for everything!

Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Mihaela C
Dear Guest,

We would like to thank you for all your positive comments about our ground and our staff. I will be sure to pass it on to all our staff Tyrone, Alona and Maria that will be more than happy to hear such positive feedback

Toronto, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 17, 2012

My family and I went to Majestic Colonial for my cousins wedding for 7 days. Upon arrival at the hotel we were greeted by friendly and efficient staff which made the check in for a group of 30 smooth and surprisingly quick. The resort is quite beautiful and gorgeously maintained. We spent most of our time in the pool and at the beach during the day both of which were pristine and the staff was very attentive to our needs. We went to Coco Club almost every night and DJ Piri Loops was amazing, not only did he keep the crowd dancing playing a wide variety of music that was expertly mixed however he also played a lot of songs on request which was really appreciated by myself and family. DJ Alfonso was also amazing. The housekeeper Marisol which attended to my room did an amazing job of cleaning up and always added small touches such as flowers or designs with the towels which was very nice, unexpected and appreciated. The food was also quite good, being a vegetarian it is often hard to find options at all inclusive resorts however there was a huge selection of vegetable and dishes that do not include meat. Overall I highly recommend this hotel from it's pristine manicured grounds to the amazing DJ's which keep you dancing into the late hours of the morning I cannot think of anything negative to say. This resort is also perfect for families with small children. The staff are friendly and always greet you with a smile. If you are looking for a relaxing environment and friendly staff I recommend you stay at the Majestic Colonial.

Room Tip: Ground level floor are ideal for travellers with small children
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled with family
5 Thank Halina88
Dear Guest

Thank you for taking the time to share your experience in Majestic Colonial with others Tripadvisors members, we feel very pleased you had these beautiful holidays with us.
We would like to thank you for all your positive comments about our ground and our staff. I will be sure to pass it on to all our staff DJ Piri, DJ Alfonso and Marisol that will be more than happy to hear such positive feedback

We wish you could visit us soon

St Louis, MO
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 17, 2012

My wife and I just spent 5 nights at the Majestic Colonial from October 27th through November 1st for our anniversary. Before we left we already decided we will be back. Our biggest diappointment was that we should have went for 8-10 days.
The rooms; we stayed in a 3rd floor Jr Suite Ocean View, 2348 (Bldg2,3rd Flr, Rm 48). The view is obscured by Palm Trees but the grounds are so beautiful we didn't mind. This resort is sprawling, the lower the number closer to the lobby, also closer to nighttime bar noise if that bothers you, higher number closer to beach. Swim up rooms are great but little privacy, upper floors have nice private balconies and offer more privacy in them. If you want the best view upgrade to an oceanfront suite. We decided against because we don't spend that much time in our room, but would recommend if you want the best terrace & view.
The grounds, lobby and pool are absolutely beautiful and you'll likely never use all the bars, but if you do, you'll find the bartenders are the friendliest anywhere as is everyone we met at this resort.
Tipping; simply put these people go out of their way to make your vacation the best you'll ever have. We left a few bucks at the end of our bed each morning and our room was spotless. Everyday the housekeeper left fresh rose petals around the tub (nice touch) and the fridge was restocked every day with a couple beers, soda and dasani water. And if you need change for tipping ask any bartender, they are the best source for breaking a twenty.
At the bars, I found the simplest was drop a 5 the first time each day then I didn't have to carry tip money, the bartenders would have our drinks ready before we were empty, if we were swimming, they'd even call me. The bartenders, servers, and everyone there are genuinely friendly and once you talk to them, you'll feel it. I've got to call out Faustio as we met him at the terrace bar the first night and everytime we saw him we felt like he was an old friend.
The restaurants, buffets are just that, buffets. Remember you're the foreigner and these people are trying to please european, asian, south & north american tourists, but with Dominican style. You're not in the USA, expecting that, the food was excellent. The only reservations needed are for the French restauant or if you want Tepanyaki style Japanese. We lived in Tokyo for 8 years so we opted for the regular Japanese "No reservation" and we thought the food was excellent including the Sushi. The Seafood restaurant has a decidedly Carribean style, so don't expect "Red Lobster" The steakhouse was very very good. I would recommend ordering your steak cooked 1 level low; I ordered Med-rare to get an excellent Medium.
The ocean and beach are beautiful, but the surf and undercurrent are somewhat heavy and there are areas with sandstone "rocks" under the water, so If you bring children I would recommend swim shoes and watch them. I'm not being negative, we were at the beach everyday and loved it.
The Animation crew at the hotel is oustanding and the different entertainment every night gave you plenty of varied choices
There are many excursions you can take and the resort has areas in the lobby where they allow your tour operator to meet with you to arrange your transport back to the airport as well as any excursions you want to take. Being a Cigar guy, we asked to go to Don Lucas Mundo Autentico. Our rep, called and immediately arranged for them to pick us up the next morning. They sent a driver with an air conditioned van and took us to the factory / store. My wife doesn't like cigars and she even enjoyed the tour. Please remember to give your driver a tip each way, as you may have a different driver bring you back to the hotel.
The excursion I would most recommend is the Bavarro Runners "Safari" This is an 8 hour trip where you truly get the opportunity to learn about the Dominican Republic and what a beautiful place it is. Our guide & driver were Alex & Fabio and Alex made sure we all had the best day of our entire vacation. Of course he taught us all about Mama Juana and Vitamin RRRRR as well as the culture, food and history of Dominica.
The front counter staff was very courteous and contrary to what I've heard on here. we were checked in and on our way to our room within 5 minutes of arrival (We paid $14 extra for shared non-stop transfers) this takes you out of the 50 passenger tour bus to a 3 couple van well worth it.
If you have any special requests for your stay, e-mail or ask for Eunice at the front counter, she will make sure this is the best stay possible.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
2 Thank selford
Dear Guest,

We would like to thank you for taking the time to write a review and share that overall you had a great time at Majestic Colonial.

One of the best satisfactions is to read that the most notable asset we have is the kindness and attention of our staff as this means that we have meet the most important principle of Majestic Colonial.

It is rewarding to receive compliments from our guests, and it would be even more rewarding to have the pleasure of welcoming you back at the Majestic Colonial.