“Thank you Majestic Colonial” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Majestic Colonial Punta Cana

Save Saved
You added Majestic Colonial Punta Cana to your Saves list
Majestic Colonial Punta Cana
4.0 of 5 Resort (All-Inclusive)   |   Playa Bavaro, Punta Cana, Dominican Republic   |
Ranked #17 of 100 Hotels in Punta Cana
Omaha, NE
“Thank you Majestic Colonial”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 22, 2011

My daughter and I stayed at the Majestic Colonial June 10-20, 2011. When we first arrived, our room was not ready yet, so after waiting for 25-30 minutes, Leo at the front desk said he would upgrade us to another oceanfront room with an even better room. Room 4343 had a fantastic view of the ocean, (thank you Leo). The bellhop "Black" was hilarious as he delivered our bags. During our stay we got to watch a total of 11 weddings that were held on the beach right from our patio. Our room was very quiet and we enjoyed waking up each day looking at the ocean. When I did request a wake up call, I would always get 2 wake up calls on those particular days, not sure why though. Great beach, found chairs everyday and we also brought our own beachtowels so we wouldn't have to worry about the hotel towels. If you get a chance, walk the beach as the sun rises, there are not alot of people around and watching the sun rise is too good to miss. The beach was cleaned every day by groundskeeping. The maids cleaned our room every day along with staff replenshing our mini bar with free bottled water which helped us alot after being on the beach all of the time. We did use the hotel pool a couple of days and enjoyed spending time there as well. This resort is big so it would take a few minutes to walk from our room to the main lobby area but we enjoyed the hotel grounds especially the little frogs and small lizard that we saw. Everytime we would leave our patio door open or leave our room for any period of time, the air conditioner would shut off. The air conditioner does stay on all night and for a good reason, it does get hot in the room if it's not running. We got to know the hotel very well. My daughter and I loved playing the big checkers game. There is also a mini market if you want to purchase souvenirs. My suggestion is to bring a couple pairs of sunglasses, mine broke and my daughter lost hers so if you need to buy some at the hotel, they are $18 and cheaply made. There are also colorful parrots that you can have your picture taken with, with the photography staff. We saw the Michael Jackson show and I say the dancers outshined Michael. The food was good, we ate at either the Buffet Restaurant Supreme, the Steak House Restaurant or the Rodeo Grill. I definitely loved the Beef Broth at the Steak Restaurant. We also LOVED the little pastries and the yummy deserts at all of the restaurants (very rich). We would love to always eat the deserts that we had. Some of them were so beautiful that we didn't want to cut into them. We didn't have any problem with the foods at any of the restaurants. Our compliments to all of the chefs!!! We also got to know Paula our hostess at the Buffet Restaurant. She would always greet us with a smile. We also loved to hear the Coffee Boy sing "Coffee, coffee, coffee". Our dirty plates were constantly taken away and our drinking glasses were always refilled promptly. All-in-all, we enjoyed our stay at this hotel. This is a family resort, so if you have kids this would be a great hotel to bring them to. I needed this time to rejuvenate myself and this hotel was enjoyable to stay at for me and my daughter. Both of us say THANK YOU Majestic Colonial.

• Stayed June 2011, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (2,314)
Georgetown, Texas
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 22, 2011

We were bumped from the Majestic Excellence (you can read my review there) and stayed at the Majestic Colonial from June 9th through June 15th. We had two rooms in building 3, relatively close to the pool and the spa. Yes, the beds are firm, no they don't have washcloths, and no, the temperature won't go lower than 20C. We didn't have problems having our minibar refreshed, at least for drinks, but I was surprised that the 1 chocolate bar we got on the first day was never replenished. A little different from Mexico, but they do indicate in their booklets/passports that they only refresh the drinks. You can leave a note indicating which drinks you'd like more or less of. We left tips for the housekeeping and minibar staff and got what we needed. We did have one issue in the kids' room getting extra bath towels one night, but we explained to the kids that it's a big resort and that the same person doesn't service your room everyday, so you have to leave a note if you need something out of the norm.

Speaking of tips, these are friendly, hardworking people. We tipped at every restaurant and the bars. Take lots of cash, including $1s and $5s, because it is very difficult to find change. We had some average service, and some great service, which is to be expected anywhere. Those that really stood out were: Sergio (Coffee Boy!), Francisco (Buffet Manager), Ramon ( Buffet waiter), Leury, Victor and Santa (bartenders), and Bala, Luis, and Alfredo at the dive shop. We loved talking to them all and seeing them every day. They are great, friendly people, with a can-do attitude!

We never had any problems with towels or finding chairs under a palapa. We also used the spa a few times for massages and hairbrading and pedicures, which was a nice respite from the beach and pool.

The drinks were good. Don't expect a lot of top shelf like you'd get in Mexico. However, we still enjoyed them. The kids liked the Majestic and the Dirty Monkey (which the adults had with rum added).

New Fairfield, Connecticut
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 21, 2011

This was our fifth visit to Dominican Republic (Punta Cana) and was a 27 day stay to celebrate a special retirement. Majestic Colonial has it all -- the architecture is beautiful and the layout of the buildings is compact and provides easy access to the lobby, rooms, pool, beach, gym, restaurants, spa, theatre and chapel. Also the landscaping is filled with nuumerous tropical trees, plants flowers and fountains.

The outstanding feature of this resort was the friendly/professional management and employees who are dedicated to make your vacation a happy, fun, exciting and relaxing experience. The food is delicioius and artistically presented with impeccable service. There are many activities at the resort during the day; theatre entertainment at night, a fantastic live band and then the sound of the ocean waves to lull you to sleep. Needless to say the beach and ocean is truly beautiful. There are many tours offered at modest cost to give you a chance to see their beautiful countryside and experience Dominican republic culture.

Make a point to visit the gym while staying at this resort. There is a professional trainer named Kelos Santana who will help you stay motivated and guide you through a workout that is safe and effective. You will go home stronger, healthier and happier. Hello Kelos!

Every employee at this resort should be acknowledged for their outstanding work and pleasant personality. visiting this wonderful country will feed you soul.

Que tengo un bien dia (Have a nice day). Learn a little Spanish before you go and learn a little more while you are there ... immerse yourself in this extraordinary culture.

L & P, USA (May 9 - June 4, 2011)

Room Tip: Building 3 is a quieter location.
  • Stayed May 2011, traveled as a couple
Hoboken, New Jersey
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 21, 2011

We had a terrible time checking in- had to wait 4 hours for a room, and were then given a room different than the one we reserved. We had to fight (and I mean really yell) with the management before they conceded to give us the room we reserved. The rooms were clean and well-maintained. I was nervous about the beds after reading all the reviews, but they really weren't bad. Maybe a little firmer than I would choose for myself, but they were fine. Food wasn't bad for an all-inclusive, but it wasn't fabulous. Towel cards are annoying- only 1 beach towel per person allowed at a time. I would advise bringing some of your own, especially if traveling with children. Staff was relatively indifferent, and barely anyone spoke English. The beaches are absolutely gorgeous. The pool was kept clean and warm- we spent a lot of time in there. Mini bar was only stocked twice during our week-long stay. Bath towels are thin and scratchy, and there are no washcloths in the rooms. There is also no turn-down service. You have to pay to use the internet in the business suite- $5 for 30 minutes. Most of the resort is open-air, with the exception of the restaurants. The spa was very nice and I thought reasonably priced for a resort. The drinks are good, but I think the level of service leaves a little something to be desired. We usually vacation in Cancun/Riviera Maya or Puerto Rico, and the service there is far superior.
All that being said, I would return to Punta Cana but maybe would try a different resort. I wouldn't NOT stay here again, but the service definitely could have been better. I think our check-in problems really put a sour spin on my opinion of the place.

Room Tip: Stand your ground- demand the reserved room type!
  • Stayed June 2011, traveled as a couple
New York City, New York
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 21, 2011

First and foremost the property is amazing. The pool, beach, landscape and rooms were kept up to par. They were conducting maintainence always fixing and cleaning keeping the property up to standards. My favorite part was the pool, mostly everyone hung out by the pool bar area were most activities took place. My boyfriend and I participated and it was very entertaining. The staff were very friendly and curtious attending to any request if we asked. We also have to remember that these people are very very hardworking and tipping them even $1 goes a very long way. One thing we didn't enjoy and really looked forward to was having some authentic Dominican food and was a little disappointed. The food was definitely not that great, but the Japenese Hibachi grill was the best resturant at the hotel and would reccommend making reservations. We would also suggest the Seafood resturant which had pretty good lobster and shrimp it wasn't the greatest, but good enough to have one night. Their are also nightly entertainment provided different shows and themes each night. The disco and casino is a little small, but did its job of great entertainment. Don't think you will have any much luck striking it big, but good enough for a little fun. The disco got a little crazy some nights, but we all have to remember people are their on vacation as well. Overall our experience was FANTASTIC and wouldn't mind visiting again.

FYI Elegance is exactly right next door meaning a straight path connecting both hotels. Elegance is for a crowd maybe in their 40's and up, while Colonial is for a younger yet mature crowd.

Room Tip: Ask for a room close to the pool.
  • Stayed June 2011, traveled as a couple
Houston, Texas
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 20, 2011

this was my first ever trip out of the country and i must say it was totally worth the money i spent to get there. the people are friendly, the staff was very helpful, the scenery was breath taking! beaches stayed clean, pools are cleaned daily. ocean water was so clear i could see my feet in sand. Definitely recommend everyone try this place at least once!!!

Room Tip: i used Vacations to go and couldnt be happier!!!
boston, ma
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 20, 2011

I was very excited about booking my trip to the domincan as i had heard wonderful things about the island's beaches and it was a very affordable place to travel. I had extensively read the reviews and agree with what the majority of people said. Following are some of my brief thoughts on the place:

Resort: The grounds are kept immaculate. The trees and flowers are gorgeous and the common areas were always clean and well-kept. I will mention that it torrentially rained for an hour or so every day which flooded several parts of the resort and caused cockroaches to emerge (pretty gross).

Beach: The beach is just spectacular. The water was calm, warm and was cleaned of seaweed every day. There were many schools of fishes right off the shore and you were able to rent snorkel equipment if you liked. We were a little disappointed to learn that jet skis are not allowed in the domincan, as this is an activity we have enjoyed in mexico/bahamas. We never had a problem finding beach chairs and palapas to sit underneath as long as you made it to the beach by around 11 you were fine.

Pool: The pool was huge and I loved how some areas were relaxing, quiet and low key and if you wanted a little more fun you could go to the swim up bar area with music, drinks and a rowdier crowd. It's too bad that the pool was not open later than 8 though.

Room: The rooms were gorgeous, very spacious and the maids were wonderful. The hottub was very clean and the walk-in shower was huge. We always had plenty of towels and the mini fridge was stocked. I didn't realize that there wouldn't be liquor in the rooms, but the 2 presidente and bottle of champagne was a nice touch. As the room is an open concept, it lacked any privacy between the bathroom and the room. The toilets didn't have a full floor to ceiling door and since much of our trip was spent in the bathroom, that meant either myself or my boyfriend would be kicked out onto the porch to gain some sort of privacy.

Sickness: As I said before, most of the trip was spent running to the bathrooms 4-5 times a day, I figured it must have been caused by the food. We took every precaution to brush our teeth with bottled water, not opening our mouth in the shower, etc etc. But I don't think there is any escape from the food being cleaned with the water or maybe its the water that was served at the buffet... Either way, I had brought enough pepto, immodium, etc to help sway any sickness but it was of little use, we were constantly sick for the entire week. My boyfriend was actually bedridden for a day as he was vomiting and running to the toilet every hour or so. Based on this trip I will never return to a country that warns "dont drink the water."

Food: Other than always getting sick, the food was decent. The buffet was extensive and I can't imagine someone not being able to find something they could enjoy. I particularly liked the crepes for breakfast and the pasta bar and the grill station for lunch, as well as the paella that was served daily. We tried to avoid the restaurant by the beach for breakfast/lunch since everything had a strange sheen from the humidity and there were typically flies everywhere. For dinner, we ate at the a la carte restaurants - most of which don't need reservations which was great. The "steakhouse" was a joke, the meat that was served was unrecognizable and drier than anything I've ever had. The japanese (hibachi style) was one of the better restaurants. The tempura, sushi, and stir fry with rice was really good. We ate at the a la carte portion of the japanese expecting the same good food but it wasn't. I didn't realize that making a proper stir fry would be that difficult, but everything was super greasy and the service was pretty poor. The mexican restaurant was pretty good, I would have eaten there a 2nd time instead of trying the a la carte japanese. My favorite was the french restaurant where I had the ravioli's and a good creme brulee. They say there is a strict dress code, but there were several men in jeans and even in shorts.

Entertainment: The nightly shows in front of the buffet were entertaining, the bands were always fantastic and the entertainment team were pretty fun to watch. The shows in the theatre were okay as well. We saw the perfect couple and the michael jackson show. it definitely got pretty stuffy in the theatre even at 10PM since there was no breeze through that area of the resort. The club was open from 11 until 4AM and was a lot of fun. People were dancing all night with a great dj and soundsystem. The drinks were pretty good, but after a while I got sick of the beer and I had a hard time finding a mixed drink that wasn't too sweet. The bartenders were all very friendly and most spoke just enough English to get by.

Overall, the resort was gorgeous, beach was perfection, and pool was a lot of fun. But because we were always getting sick, it kind of put a damper on my overall view of my vacation.

• Stayed May 2011, traveled as a couple

Been to Majestic Colonial Punta Cana? Share your experiences!