“We LOVED this resort! Perfect Honeymoon Location” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Dreams Punta Cana

Save Saved
You added Dreams Punta Cana to your Saves list
Dreams Punta Cana
4.0 of 5 Resort (All-Inclusive)   |   Playas Uvero Alto - Provincia La Altagracia, Punta Cana, Dominican Republic   |
Hotel deals
Special Offer
Hot Hot Hot Savings!
Ranked #47 of 100 hotels in Punta Cana
Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania
“We LOVED this resort! Perfect Honeymoon Location”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 21, 2010

Before we left on our Honeymoon, I checked this site for opinions. We travelled July 5th - 12th. This resort is beautiful!!! We booked through Apple Vacations and they really made everything seemless. We arrived at the resort and were immediately greeted with a cool fruity beverage in a flute and a cold, refreshing told. It is the Carribbean, so humidity should not surprise people. Our room was nice and it stayed pretty cool. The food was really good. We loved the World Cafe which was the buffet. There is soo much to choose from. The fresh bread and cheeses were amazing! The Seaside Cafe was a beautiful candlelit restaurant. There was always something to do there (live shows, activities, sports, games etc.) The beach is gorgeous and the pool is huge. The staff is super friendly and always happy. The shows are fun as well. We booked two excursions through Apple (Amstar) at the hotel. Saona Island and the Reef Explorer. They were both fun. With the trip to Saona Island, we got to explore the island, have lunch and swim in a natural swimming pool in the middle of the ocean. We also got to ride a catamarran and a speed boat. The Reef Explorer was also awesome! We got to snorkel, eat lunch, and kayak in the ocean. Excursion prices were also very reasonable. We got a Moonlight Couples massage which was very relaxing. The grounds were kept immaculate. Endless food and endless drink, including delicious fruity drinks brought to you by the pool. Every night they give you a schedule for the next days' events. Can't say enough about the place! Best value for the money. We are already thinking about a return visit. I would recommend this resort to anyone. Great place for a Honeymoon or vacation!!! You'll love it!

• Stayed July 2010, traveled as a couple
DreamsPuntaCanaGM, General Manager at Dreams Punta Cana, responded to this review, July 24, 2010
Dear Mr. & Mrs. ,

We are happy to read that you had a memorable honeymoon experience with us at Dreams Punta Cana. We take great consideration in all our guests' comments; thank you for sharing your experience on what our Resort's Destination has to offer.

We hope that you return to visit in the near future.

Cordially,

5,582 people have reviewed this hotel

2003
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (1,211)
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
Ireland
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 21, 2010

Just back from Dreams this week and already want to book again. We travelled with 2 teens (15 & 13) and 2 children (12 & 8) and every one of us had an absolute ball.

Having read some of the Tripadvisor reviews, I was a little bit worried, but when we got there, our instant reaction was WOW|||

From check-in to 1st night dinner ws amazing. (lobster, fillet steak and champagne in the patio restuarant was brilliant.) Staff just couldn't do enough for us.

Rooms were as requested (adjoining), spotless and well maintained for the two week stay/ 1st day at the vast pool was Wow||| amazing. The bar service and waitress service was excellent. Our favourite cocktail appropriately named the Wow!!. closely followed by the rest of the vast list, of which we tried....well, them all.

However one hour into our time at the pool we realsied where the negative reviews came from, as we ;istened to Septic \tank after septic tank (YANKS) complain. One guy we tagged Mr Floatation Device even complained that he had nothing to complain about one morning. WARNING.. if you can't find a water bed in the pool it's because the Americans have them in their rooms.

Restaurants were excellent.. French, Mexican, Sea Food, Steakhouse etc.
Bars and entertainment were superb.
Activities for children and adullts brilliant.

We met some great people and had super days and nights with them.

Management and staff at this resort should take a bow for the brilliant job they do.

Thanks a million.

La Familia O'Connor, Plant & Burke

See you again soon.

Dear O'Connor, Plant & Burke family,

Thank you for sharing your amazing experience of Dreams Punta Cana with us. It is of our satisfaction that your entire family was able to take benefit from of all our facilities, pool, diverse a la carte Restaurants, bars and entertainment.

On behalf of our Management Team and staff, it is our pleasure to have been able to "WOW" you.

Looking forward to your next visit.

Remaining at your service,

Queens, Ny
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 19, 2010

I was very nervous about staying at Dreams Punta Cana after reading all the negative reviews which were posted last month. Day after day of my vacation, I tried to understand what it was that people were complaining about and honestly, I never figured it out. I was there for 9 days with my husband and our two daughters, aged 7 and 11. We are in our 40's. We had an amazing time.

The grounds are gorgeous and maintained very well. There was always someone cleaning, pruning, cutting, etc. There are flamingos on the grounds to admire, as well as peacocks, parrots and cranes. One morning we woke up to find 2 huge parrots perched on our balcony window. We took pictures with them and they sat through the whole thing.

The pool is huge. There is a swim up section and no deep end. For a family with kids, this was nice as we didn't have to worry so much and we could give our girls a little freedom. The pool was also very clean. Though everyone had drinks in their hands, there were minimal empty glasses laying about. The pool also had a huge inflatable glacier for the kids. My kids loved climbing it and falling off repeatedly. You'd see kids there for hours enjoying that thing! As you walk the length of the pool (a very lengthy walk, actually), you can stop at a fruit stand where a lady dressed in Dominican garb will cut a mango in the shape of a flower for you. My kids loved this! If fruit's not your thing, you could also stop at one of the many bars for a drink. All of them had good, fast and friendly service, tip or no tip. The drinks were good, too. Not too weak, not too strong.

The pool path leads to the beach. Some reviews complained about the rocks. Yes, there are rocks in the water in one small part of the beach. To the left of the rocks, the water is great and there is an ocean trampoline you can play on. LOTS of fun! To the right, it was equally as safe and pretty. I guess those people didn't realize there was a whole other expanse of beach they could use. The color of the ocean varied from day to day depending on the weather. On windier days, it wasn't as blue or turquoise b/c the sand was being tossed about. Also, remember this beach is the Atlantic Ocean. If you're looking for clear turquoise waters, get your map out and plan your vacation accordingly. You'd need to go to the Carribean Sea.

Our children LOVED the kids club. They kept them very entertained and busy. Our kids didn't ever want to leave and my husband and I got to spend lots of quality time together. The women there, Claribel, Vicky, Marilyn, Yafi, and Wendy, were truly amazing. So warm, professional and friendly. From day one, they knew our kids by name and made sure they were happy. One day, we bumped into our younger daughter on her way to the beach in a pirate parade with costume and makeup and all! So cute!! We even got a cell phone to take around with us in case our kids wanted to tell us something or be picked up. If you want to have an adult dinner, the kids club is open till 9:45. They keep them occupied on stage during the preshow or at the club if the kids don't want to attend the show.

The shows were pretty decent. The dancers were very good. One night they had a magician -very impressive! If you're expecting a Broadway show, you will be disappointed. If you are expecting to be entertained while you sit with your friends and family, you will be happy. If you're a big partier, I don't know if the nightlife here will be for you, but if you're content to sit back and enjoy, with perhaps a drink in your hand, then you'll enjoy. They also had a little casino with a couple of tables and some slot machines. We're not gamblers, but we had a great time playing nickel slots. It was good for laughs!

There's an area called the Core Zone. The website describes it as a teen hangout, but everyone is welcome. My kids did trampoline bungee jumping and we all rode the mechanical bull! FUN! The entertainment guide, Wander, was very helpful! They also have sand/clay tennis courts which were well maintained. We played almost every day and were always supplied with bottled water and towels. The gym, which is next to the spa was also very modern, had AC and fans and also towels and cold bottled water.

The restaurants and buffets were very nice. The breakfast buffet was delicious and the fresh fruit selection was excellent. The restaurants had a smaller menu selection but good nonetheless. Most were air conditioned. The portions are not oversized which is good b/c I never actually sat down hungry. Service was amazing for the most part. The staff really does seem to want to make you happy. And they do a good job of it.

We also used room service for breakfast on 2 mornings, and another time just for snacks while we lounged in our balcony jacuzzi. Room service is fairly quick (20 minutes) and the food is plentiful, fresh and well-presented.

We had a junior suite so we had the option of having a "romantic dinner" on the beach. My husband and I had our own little secluded table right on the water and we had our own waiter and our own delicious bottle of wine and dinner. Speaking of wine, I have never been to a Caribbean resort that had good red wine... this one did!!! I highly recommend the romantic dinner. There's nothing better than eating right on the water with your hubby with no one around you with the sun setting and the waves crashing almost at your feet.

The room was the only thing we had a problem with. The pull out bed was a bit ancient and the mattress was gross. Also the balcony jacuzzi was broken and the DVD player didn't work. HOWEVER.... From the time that we called the concierge about the DVD player and the jacuzzi, they were fixed in 10 minutes. To solve the bed problem, they brought in a cot. When I wasn't satisfied with that mattress, the guy left and came back with a regular twin sized mattress as opposed to a cot one. That one was excellent and the whole process took 15-20 minutes. That's customer service! The AC was a bit low, not the arctic temperature I keep my own home, but I certainly didn't sweat at all.

Maid service was great! They came during the day and also for turn down service at night. We always had enough clean dry towels. It was never an issue. Nothing was missing ever, and just in case, the room had a safe at no charge.

The concierge was also very helpful and friendly. Honestly, at most resorts I find them to be on the stuck-up side. Not here. Just pleasant and helpful.

On the morning of our last day, my husband suffered from a kidney stone attack at 6am. We went down to the hotel doctor and she diagnosed him, confirmed what it was, and was able to explain why it wouldn't be appendicitis. We thought we would have to miss our flight home b/c these attacks are excrutiatingly painful and walking and talking aren't options. She gave him an IV needle of Buscapan which is an analgesic and antispasmotic (enough painkillers to last 12 hours) and a packet of painkillers in case the Buscapan wore off before we made it home to our own ER. The consult was $95 US which wasn't bad considering we couldn't use our medical insurance. The meds were... $21. I would pay more for that here... WITH my insurance!!!!

We've taken family vacations 3 times in the DR, 2 times in Jamaica and once in Cancun. This was by far the nicest, friendliest, cleanest, most pampering and most fun hotel. I would highly recommend it and would go again.

P.S. The Catamaran tour to Saona Island was lots of fun. We went to a starfish pool where we got to find and pick up starfish. It was an amazing experience. I recommend it. We all loved it.

Dunfermline, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 18, 2010

Just back from Dreams Punta Cana and already thinking about booking for next year! I travelled with my husband, our 11 year old daughter and 17 year old son and this is the best hotel we have been to. It is about an hour from the airport but well worth all the travelling. If you like to get out and about from your hotel it's not for you but with everything going on in the resort you won't find the time. Our room was on the ground floor with a hammock on the terrace and sun loungers in the front garden. There was plenty other free sun loungers and floating mats in the pool to use. The staff were very friendly and couldn't do enough for you including Maria the waitress who brought us cocktails by the pool all day long. The entertainers, especially Wilbert, were brilliant and always put on a great show along with the dancers at night. During the day there are loads of activities for kids, teenagers and adults and you can make the holiday as active or relaxing as you want. The explorers kids club...well I have never known a club that you could leave your kids in from 9am till 10pm before! My daughter loved it. She went there everyday and even had her lunch and dinner with them. They were brilliant and so enthusiastic, thanks Yafe, Clari, Marilyn, Santa, Vicki and Wendy. The food in all the restaurants was delicious especially the steaks in the a la cart restaurants. We met a couple of people who were complaining about everything and I can honestly say we couldn't understand why they were compaining as we didn't want to go home. Even our 17 year old son who didn't want to come with us thought it was the best holiday we have been on and better than last years hotel which was a 4 star hotel in the North of Dominican Republic.

Dear Ms.,

Thank you for your comments regarding your stay with us at Dreams Punta Cana. We take great consideration in all our guests’ opinions. We are happy to hear that you are thinking of returning next year to our Resort and that your entire family's experience with us was satisfactory.
As you mentioned, our Explorer’s Club is one of our unique features at the Resort since most hotels in the area only take school aged children from ages 5 years and up and we offer extended hours until 10pm. The Explore's Club program consists of sandcastle competitions, arts & crafts, movies, ocean trampoline, weekly campout, face painting, Spanish lessons and much more. Kids have a blast; parents can relax because cell phones are provided in case the child would like to contact them.
Look forward to hosting your family again in your next vacation.

King Regards,

Ireland
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 18, 2010

Firstly I have to say I am one of those stupid people who let reviews make their opinions of a place they have never been, I was scared having paid for 2 weeks in Dreams PC having read reviews. I was so wrong!!! So this is an extremely honest review from someone who wanted everything to be perfect.
This place is brilliant, yes like previous reviews have said the staff make it but isn't that the way it should be? The entertainment team were EXCELLENTE! A special mention has to be made about 2-Pac, JC, Erick and Melvin. My Husband (still sounds strange!) is not one for lounging by the pool/sea but I am so when these people came looking for him each day providing GREAT entertainment it gave us the best of both worlds!
One review says the evening entertainment is not vegas, I have to disagree, these people are fantastic they put their all into their performances and I for one wouldn't think you'd find fire breathing at all vegas shows!
I am shocked at what some people complain about, I overheard a family give out about where they were sat at the buffet and the fact they had to get the food themselves! The hotel has 8 restaurants and unlimited room service, buffet = self service... hello!
The food in the buffet was fantastic, I have never has fresh lobster, full prawns and 3 chefs freshly cook items at a buffet. Divina, friendliest waitress!
The restaurants were brilliant, staff who have been on duty since 7am (at breakfast) still serving at 10pm are still smiling and going Woa, excellente! The only restaurant that let it down was the chinese, so we didn't go back.
Hygiene - there were constantly people cleaning so I'm not sure how other people didn't see them. I did experience being sick one evening but I have to say it was down to heat and a change in food, your body is reacting to the different meat and dairy products along with the intense heat.
Weather - you cannot blame a hotel resort for the island's weather, there were tropical storms for our first 3 days which looking back was great to get to relax after our wedding and to experience that weather!
Rooms - yes they are dated but beautiful, if you feel a standard room is not big enough then book a suite, that's what we had. We also had to show our wedding certificate which we didn't mind and understood otherwise everyone would claim to be honeymooners! Yes there's a slight musty smell but its the humidity, the heat is different to the one we have in Europe.
Insects - I got bitten but I was in the Carribbean I expected insects, never had any in room.
The Beach - there are signs everywhere saying beware of rocks and to be wary swiming so I can't really understand how people got cut (incidently the same with the tiles, there was always signs saying be careful so if you fall, you have been warned?) the reviews stating once outside the resort beach it was filty - they obviously did not walk down the left hand side about 50-60 yards the ocean was so blue and no rocks, there were several people snorkelling along here.
We left the hotel went the same distance to the right (out front) and came along about 15 shops so if you wish to leave the complex - YOU CAN!
Safety - as I mentioned, there were several signs warning of different things. One bridge was bring worked on - this may have been where one reviewer fell, myself and my husband witnessed a group of americans rip off the safety tape and dare each other to walk across. I think I can assume they did not put back up the warning tape.
This resort is leaning towards the american market and therefore made a huge deal of Independence day, I didn't enjoy the beach buffet but would hate to image the complaints if they didn't have any celebration! ('',)
Tell 2-Pac Mush says Hola!!!

• Stayed June 2010, traveled as a couple
Dear Mr. & Mrs.,

Thank you for your time and honesty as you expressed concern of the property to other readers. We understand and value every guest’s opinion which is of extreme importance to us. We are pleased to hear that your Honeymoon stay was "Excellente" and you were able to enjoy our Entertainment, Restaurants, Honeymoon suite accommodations, and beach.

I’ll send your regards to the staff mentioned and special "Hola" to 2-Pac Mush.

Hope to that you can come and visit us again in the near future.

Best Regards,

Gibraltar
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 16, 2010

Went with my family for first two weeks in July and would probably return at some time. Yes the rooms needed to be redone but hey I only use the rooms to wash and sleep- they were doing up some of the neighbouring rooms as 'samples' for future make-overs and they looked good. The staff are unbelievable, they will do anything to make your stay enjoyable. I think it would be unfair to single out any staff member in particular as they were all brilliant. The food was very good with a wide choice available in the different restaurants The two weeks went without a hitch. The only complaint I have is about the watersports equipment. One of the things I enjoy most about these holidays is the sailing. At other resorts I have stayed in I have been able to enjoy the use of hobbie cats sailing craft and always in good condition. This resort had only one hobbie cat that was barely sailable with its rudder just about hanging on- the windsurfing equipment was at least ten years old and the boards so slippery you could hardly stand up on them. If Dreams are advertising watersports as part of ther all-inclusive then the equipment has to be up to standard and safe to use.

Dear Mr. or Ms.,

Thank you for your comments, they are greatly valued. Glad to read that you spent a great two weeks in July with us at Dreams Punta Cana and that our the food variety at our different restaurants ( World Café, Seaside Grill, Oceana, El Patio, Bordeaux, Trattoria) made your vacation enjoyable as well as our staff. As for our rooms, we are in process of updating some aspects as to offer more comfort to our guests.
Our inclusive water sports equipments are being reviewed in order to address your concern regarding their condition.
We greatly appreciate your opinion. Should you wish to contact us please feel free to do so at info.drepc@dreamsresorts.com. We look forward to your return stay with us in the near future.

Cordially,

Nr Edinburgh
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 16, 2010

Just returned from two weeks here. After reading some of the reviews I feared the worst. All I can say is that I suspect those who rated the resort poorly had, for some specific reason, a bad experience and have decided to savage the whole resort because of that. We found everything to be of a pretty good standard (if you are expecting world class standards and fine dining remind yourself how much you are paying). Staff were great, sorting us with interconnecting rooms on the second day. Food was chain-restaurant standard. Drinks were whatever you wanted (many of the cocktails are very sugary concoctions and I suspect sipping many of these over the course of a holiday is the culprit behind many of the tummy upsets). Kids had a ball.

The only two areas I would say could have been better are the rooms (tired and in need of updating but kept very clean by the maids) and the remoteness of the resort - it is literally in the middle of nowhere - but if you are content to lie by the pool/on the beach you would never know where you are!

This was our first time all inclusive in the Caribbean - there are no doubt better resorts but we had a great time, it was good value for money and provided you are not being wholly unrealistic in your expectations, you will enjoy what I believe is a good all round resort.

Stayed July 2010, traveled with family

Been to Dreams Punta Cana? Share your experiences!