“Best DR trip yet” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Dreams Punta Cana Resort & Spa

Save Saved
You added Dreams Punta Cana Resort & Spa to your Saves list
Dreams Punta Cana Resort & Spa
4.0 of 5 Resort (All-Inclusive)   |   Playas Uvero Alto - Provincia La Altagracia, Punta Cana, Dominican Republic   |
Hotel deals
Special Offer
Free Nights!
Ranked #46 of 101 hotels in Punta Cana
Milwaukee, Wisconsin
“Best DR trip yet”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 1, 2014

We (me, wife and 3 year old) just got back from a week here. It was great. This was our 3rd trip to an all-inclusive in the DR, and the second one in the Punta Cana Area. Overall we had a great time and would actually go back to the same place again. That says a lot of me because I always want to try something new and have never been back to the exact same vacation place a second time. Here's my breakdown:

Transfer to/from resort was wonderful. I emailed Conexion tours in advance to arrange a van for us. They were waiting for us at the prescribed time on both ends with our names on a sign, all for $150 round trip. It was about a 45 minute drive.

Check in and check out were extremely quick and easy. It helped that we stayed Thursday to Thursday instead of checking in/out on the weekend.

The Room was really the only thing that could use significant improvement. It was kept extremely clean, and the A/C worked perfectly, but the beds were horribly uncomfortable. The beds are really my only complaint from our whole trip. Having a stocked fridge, patio, and all your toiletries provided was really nice. The shower worked great other than the drain being extremely slow. It’s had to blame them for that because I’m sure it was clogged by years of people’s sandy feet. It’s not that the room was bad; it was on par with the other places that I’ve stayed in the DR. Besides, you don’t go to a resort in the DR to sit in your room. We spent more time in there than most would because our daughter needed a nap every afternoon and went to bed early.

The staff were awesome in every interaction we had. From check in to all the bars, dining room staff, activity staff, housekeeping and especially the explorers club. I got the feeling that they all truly love their jobs and sincerely cared about me having a great time. Their English was all excellent. I was not expecting it to be so flawless. Almost every employee spoke fluent English.

Other guests were mostly Canadian and American. There were only a few Europeans, noticeably British and Russian/Polish. There was a huge variety in age fairly evenly split between kids, teens/college age, middle age and seniors.

Bars were excellent. The selection of “high end” liquor available was a pleasant surprise. All the bartenders were extremely attentive and friendly. There was very rarely a wait for a drink, and that was only when it was when a big group just showed up to the bar together, when or someone who ordered 10 specialty drinks for their group off in the distance. The pool bar was the best. The beer was coldest and the bartenders were the most entertaining and attentive.

Food was great. Because we had our 3 year old with us, we only ate at the buffet (for our main meals). As far as buffet goes, this is the best I have had. It beat most of the $30-$40 ones in Vegas. I was really surprised at the quality and variety of the foods offered. Yes, many of them are repeated on most days, or every few days, but what can you expect? How many different options do you need? There were plenty of choices for a week’s stay. Most of the dishes I had were excellent. The little grill restaurants were great spots for lunch, but I wish they opened a little earlier (most didn't open till 12:30), but that just allowed more time for pre-lunch drinks!

The grounds were immaculate. I don't know how they do it. All the sidewalks, building walkways, etc, were always free of sand, stains, leaves, etc. No shoes needed. The plants and landscaping were also great. The roaming peacocks were a big hit for our daughter.

Pool was perfect temperature, crystal clear, and seemed very clean. There was always floating mats available. The 3 food depth was great. I only wish that they had at least one area with a zero entry or only 18 inches deep for the little kids. That is really the only thing missing from making this a perfect family destination. We ended up playing by the pool bar because it was the only spot shallow enough for our daughter to stand in the pool.

The beach was great with plenty of wind to keep you cool. The sand was not as nice as what you find at the southern Punta Cana beaches or much of the Cancun area, but the water was gorgeous and a perfect temperature. There was a roped off area for swimming that had nice sand on the bottom. Yes, there is lots of coral around, but that’s how this island is. Stay in the roped off area and you won’t have any problem with coral.

The explorers club was pretty amazing. It’s like free camp for kids. Drop them off after breakfast and pick them up before dinner. Our 3 year old loved it and made some new friends. The staff there were great and keep the kids engaged doing constructive and fun activities. They give you a cell phone in case they need you.

All in all, it was great and I would highly recommend for almost anyone. It is great for a family or couples of any age. Maybe not a singles kind of place, but great for everyone else.

• Stayed March 2014, traveled with family
Gary U, eConcierge at Dreams Punta Cana Resort & Spa, responded to this review, April 2, 2014
Dear guest,

Thank you for sharing your Dreams experience.

We are very pleased to hear you and your family had so much fun during your stay. We are so glad to know you enjoyed the food, views and staff members' attentions (yes, they do love their jobs and that's reason they give their best everyday to make our guests feel like royalty and have an amazing vacation time).

We really appreciate your feedback on the things that you feel we could improve. Your comments are taken very seriously in order for corrective actions to be taken.

We look forward to having you back.

If there's anything we could assist you with, please do not hesitate on contacting us.

5,730 people have reviewed this hotel

2074
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (1,266)
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
New York City, New York
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 1, 2014

There are no words to say just how awesome this hotel was.
I loved the food! And the pools! And everything.
The people were great, like... the staff was very attentive. I felt like their most important client all the time.
It was the first time I went and I can´t wait to go back.
If you´re looking for a nice place to spend a great time, go to this hotel.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled with friends
Dear guest,

Thank you much for informing us of your recent visit.

We feel more than pleased to hear you had an awesome time while you were with us. Thank you for sharing it your experience. It makes us really happy to know that your first impression was nothing but spectacular, and that you enjoyed the attentions offered by the staff. We also thank you deeply for recommending our hotel to other people.

We look forward to having you back.

Toronto
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 31, 2014

I went here recently with some girl friends to celebrate my 40th birthday. We went as part of a West Jet Vacation. I must write that West Jet includes your Travel Tourist Visa (10 dollars) as part of your package and we were given it on board and skipped a huge line up at the airport. That was great. We were very impressed with the resort. It was very clean and we were greeted with Champagne and a birthday cake in each of our rooms! That was a nice welcome. The pool is fabulous and the floating yellow mats were a blast. I was very impressed with the friendliness of the staff- very kind and welcoming. The beach was the best part. Amazing. We had a lot of wave action but we loved walking it and jumping in the waves. I much prefer this to perfectly calm water. We never had issues with rocks either. The water was VERY warm. There was a big race for chairs around the pool but never on the beach.

We had premium packages and I would highly recommend you upgrade. The VIP area is pretty nice and we loved going in for drinks (we thought they were better) and snacks throughout the day. The best part of premium is definitely the breakfast at Oceania though. Lovely ocean breezes and you can avoid the expansive buffet at the other end of the resort. We ate there at night as well. It was good. The Italian was good too- but our waiter was quite slow and didn't speak english. No problem. We were on Island time. We didn't take it too seriously.

My only complaint might be the rooms. They are small. Not a huge issue, but also they were very musty smelling. We were on the ground floor in building 2. We faced the gardens. If I had known, I would get a swim out room next time. I am not sure they would eliminate the musty smell though. When arriving home our clothing smelled terrible. Like your grandmother's cottage! We did not spend time in our room, so this was not a huge upset for us. Had we stayed for a week, I would have definitely asked to be moved.

The only other thing I did see was a questionable 'pool side game' where guests and the staff people leading the games were playing this dangerous drinking game. They would dive into the pool (3 feet people) and then down a beer or two. It seemed really stupid to me, especially since there were kids around. One of the patrons was pretty drunk and we were waiting for him to crack his head open. Other then that, the vibe was really awesome. We loved the service on the beach and everyone was wonderful. I don't think you can go wrong with this hotel. We were pretty impressed.

Room Tip: Go for a pool swim out! Watch out for the musty smell.
  • Stayed March 2014, traveled with friends
Gary U, eConcierge at Dreams Punta Cana Resort & Spa, responded to this review, April 1, 2014

Thank you for taking the time to inform us on your recent visit.

We feel so happy to know you and your friends had an excellent vacation time. It must have been really fun to play with the waves on the beach while enjoying cool drinks and snacks. It makes us really happy to hear you were pleased with the whole experience.

Our staff members' number one goal is to make every guest happy by offering them exceptional services. We appreciate your feedback very much, and you can be sure corrective actions are being taken toward the few negative things you mentioned.

Thank you very much for sharing your thoughts and observations and allowing us the chance to improve ourselves.

We look forward to having you back soon.

If there is anything we could assist you with, do not hesitate on contacting us.

Conception Bay South, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 31, 2014

My husband and I, along with another couple, spent a week at this resort from March 16-23. We are in our mid thirties and have three children, though they didn't accompany us on this trip. It was our first all-inclusive vacation. We were absolutely thrilled with our vacation. Here's a breakdown (this will be a long but detailed review, exactly what I would want if researching an all inclusive vacation):

Pool: the highlight of our vacation! This pool is huge and it runs the entire length of the resort with the accommodations lining it on both sides. There is a main pool area and swim-up bar at one end, near the beach. This is where the entertainment took place. We opted for a swim-out room and it was sooo worth the extra few dollars. We loved having direct access to our room and not having to pack a bag to go to the pool. We spent practically every day in the pool - from the time we finished breakfast to the time they closed the pool at 6:00pm. They also had plenty of pool floats which weren't hard to come by. Pool chairs also weren't hard to get, though people do reserve them even though it's against policy.

Beach: a beautiful sandy beach with plenty of lounge chairs. The water was a little rougher than you might expect but we actually found this to be an advantage: it was a lot of fun jumping the waves and kayaking. My husband is a runner and loved running the length of the beach. It's a little windy, but the breeze is a great way to beat the heat.

Food: the buffet had an excellent selection of food for every meal and I found it to be very good quality. We ate at four of the a la carte restaurants and were quite pleased, though the Italian was the least impressive of the ones we tried. Reservations were not required; you put your name on a wait list and were given a pager to notify you when your table was ready. Never had to wait longer than 20 minutes and there were plenty of bars to sit at and have a drink while we waited. There was a BBQ every lunchtime by the Barracuda bar and my husband had a burger just about every day - he loved them - but I personally would have liked some more poolside options for snacks and lunch. I just hated having to get out of that amazing pool for any longer than I had to! There was also a grill at the beach and a station where they offered a different option every day.

Entertainment and activities: the team was fantastic! All very friendly and great at their jobs. There was a show every evening - some better than others. The circus and the 70's dance ones were the better ones. They offered yoga every morning which my husband opted to do and enjoyed. The aqua aerobics were a bit if fun, too! They also had a certified Zumba instructor and I did a couple of her classes and had a blast (shout-out to Amy!). Suggestion to Dreams: keep the Zumba classes by the pool area. Hardly anyone showed up by the basketball court. We took out a kayak one afternoon and that was quite fun, though hard work! You get a daily schedule each night before bed so you know what activities to expect the next day.

Room: our room was very clean and comfortable and the minibar was restocked daily with beer, water and pop. Minor issue: housekeeping was a bit inconsistent in that they seemed to come at a different time every day. Another minor issue: the room could use a few cosmetic upgrades (chipped paint) but we spent so little time there that a little wear and tear didn't bother us one bit. All the other wonderful things more than made up for it.

Bars: there were plenty of bars on the resort, with very personable bartenders who loved to sing as they worked. We frequented the Barracuda bar the most based on its proximity to our room. The Barracuda was actually my favourite frozen drink. If you order frozen drinks from the machine, Make sure there is rum in them! They use these drinks for kids, too, and one day I'm sure I drank nothing but virgin drinks! Randy and David were awesome bartenders! Suggestion to Dreams: a drink menu posted at every bar (as a first-timer, I found myself experimenting a lot and when I didn't care for a drink, I hated to waste it).

Other: the commute from the airport was 40 minutes and not an hour as some older reviews have indicated. The highway is complete now so the commute has been shortened. This resort was fairly small compared to others I've heard about (it is not part of a complex of resorts) and you could walk anywhere in 5 minutes. This was a huge plus in our minds. Again, no need to "pack up for the day" when you left your room. As I said, we didn't have our children with us but we would definitely take them there - they would love the pool and beach. We noticed a kids club area, though it seemed like it was drop-off only (no parents allowed) which may not be suitable for kids who aren't comfortable with new people, and it didn't seem that families could avail of the play area on their own. I didn't research this and didn't see much info on the website but I'm sure you could find all that out. Because of the size and layout of the pool, I think both families and couples could all have fun without infringing on each other. The grounds were absolutely stunning and meticulously maintained. There were mature trees and flowers and you really felt like you were in tropical paradise. One last thing: I sent a few different enquiries via the Facebook page and always got a prompt reply.

Overall, we LOVED this resort and if we return to the Dominican Republic, we would definitely choose Dreams again. It's now two weeks later, and we are still dreaming about Dreams!

Room Tip: Opt for the swim-out room! Worth the extra few dollars. We were in building 3 and were close to both...
  • Stayed March 2014, traveled as a couple

Thank you for taking the time to inform us on your recent visit.

We first want to thank you for choosing our hotel as your vacation destination. We are very happy to hear you had lots of fun playing with the waves at the beach, and that you were pleased with be food being served in all of our restaurants. We really appreciate your feedback in regards to the room, and you can be sure corrective actions will be taken in order to provide an even better experience at your return.

Thank you very much for sharing your wonderful experience.

Regina, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 31, 2014

My Wife and I just got back from a wonderful vacation at Dreams Resort and spa Punta Cana . The staff and management were fantastic , and were at your service promptly, with a smile . The rooms were clean , the food at all the restaurants was fantastic , the white sand on the beach , sprinkled with palm trees was amazing , and the pool is the best we have ever seen in 20 years of doing all inclusive vacations .
Since the resort is a few years old ,the grounds were mature and were beautifully manicured . The fruit stand along the path to the beach , is a hit , and so is the special little coffee area tucked under the grand stairway . Even the Doctor on staff at the medical room was great ,as i needed help to dig out a sea urchin spine i stepped on while fishing , and she helped me right away .
We highly recommend this resort , and we cant wait to go back !!!

Brian and Deleyne Weinberger

• Stayed February 2014, traveled as a couple

Thank you for taking the time to inform us on your recent visit.

We are very pleased to hear you and your wife had a wonderful vacation time at our hotel. Each and every one of our staff members gives their best to go above and beyond our guests' expectations and make them feel special and well-treated. We thank you very much for choosing us as your vacation destination, and for sharing your wonderful experience.

Milwaukee, Wisconsin
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 31, 2014

Francicso, one of the lead servers at the Worrld Cafe (buffet), was extremely helpful and curtious.
He explained the restaurants to us, and he helped us in setting up a reservation.

Thank you for your help!!

• Stayed March 2014, traveled with family

Thank you for taking the time to inform us on your recent visit.

We are so glad to know how much you enjoyed and appreciated Francisco's assistance. He will be even happier to hear this. Thank you very much for choosing us as your vacation destination and for sharing your Dreams experience.

Cincinnati, Ohio, United States
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 30, 2014

This is our second trip to this resort, was there in 2009, and enjoyed it both times. The people who work there are as they say "excellante" and the pool, beach and grounds are beautiful. The rooms have been upgraded since 2009, which is good, but the tub/shower is not easy to get in and out of, too high and nothing to hold onto. The following individuals helped to make our visit more enjoyable: World Cafe - Joel and Randy, Entertainment - Stephanie, Barracada Bar - Randy, David and crew.

Room Tip: 1st floor rooms with swimout are the best.
  • Stayed March 2014, traveled as a couple
Dear guest,

Thank you for taking the time to inform us on your visit.

We are so happy to hear this was your second time and you had as much fun as you did the first time. Our staff members would do anything to make our guests have the time of their lives. We appreciate your comments and the time you took to share your experience.

econcierge.drepc@dreamsresorts.com

Been to Dreams Punta Cana Resort & Spa? Share your experiences!