“Awesome family vacation-August 2-10, 2013” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Dreams Punta Cana Resort & Spa

You added Dreams Punta Cana Resort & Spa to your Saves list
Dreams Punta Cana Resort & Spa
4.0 of 5 Resort (All-Inclusive)   |   Playas Uvero Alto - Provincia La Altagracia, Punta Cana, Dominican Republic   |
Hotel deals
Ranked #38 of 102 Hotels in Punta Cana
Warren, Michigan
“Awesome family vacation-August 2-10, 2013”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 21, 2013

Our travel agent chose this resort because it was more family oriented. About a week before we left, I noticed a bunch of negative comments on this website about the food and people getting sick. It made us all very leery of the resort and we even looked into staying somewhere else. After a few days, we decided to take our chances and go for it. We were very careful not to drink the water, eat soft skinned fruits or salad. For the most part, we did ok. Three out of the four of us had a few bouts of diarrhea and could never truly pinpoint the culprit. It was nothing that stopped us from enjoying ourselves. The weather was gorgeous, we met some awesome people and the service staff, especially the entertainment crew, made us feel amazing. They truly took care of us. Our rooms were spotless, the staff was so friendly and there was always something to do. Yanely, Blue (Moses) Shaggy and Jesus kept us very busy. I have never seen people work such long days and be so happy all the time. In the mornings they would ask for my boys by name, wondering where they were so they could join a competition. David and Juan Pablo at the Barracuda bar are also amazing employees, even making non alcoholic drinks when requested. They called my son, "family", even took pictures with him when we left. We thought the Japanese hibachi was the very best meal! The Mexican was a close second with the Italian in third. Our lunch time was spent in the World Cafe with Arias and Edison who were also great! We were spoiled by the amazing pool with the loungers and shady huts, loved all of games, the gym, and enjoyed the nightly entertainment. I was treated to a full body massage which was incredible....would definitely recommend treating yourself to that luxury. We even did a family photo session with Juan Carlo and ended up purchasing the CD.....beautiful pictures! Only real negatives were the street vendors and the lack of open restaurants at lunch time. We were truly sad when we had to leave and will never forget our time there.

Room Tip: Stay in building 3 or 4. Those buildings are in the middle of everything. Less traffic and noise on...
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled with family
Pascal M, Manager at Dreams Punta Cana Resort & Spa, responded to this review, September 27, 2013
Dear Guest

Greetings from Dreams Punta Cana. Wow thank you for your lovely review. being a family orientated resort. We are thrilled to see that you and your family had such a great time with us. We take great pride in all of the little things that we do to make sure that all of our guests have a great vacation. We will be passing on your comments to those mentioned. They will be happy to see that you took the time to mention the great work that they do. We hope that you will visit us again and we wanna thank you for choosing us.

pmessier@dreamsresorts.com

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (1,459)
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 20, 2013 via mobile

The beach here is beautiful. The sea is warm and weather is hot. The entertainment team look after u all day and put on fantastic shows in the evening. The restaurants have a great choice of food, and good selection in the buffet. Look out for Yanely on the entertainment team!! She is full of energy and wants to make your stay a good one.

• Stayed September 2013
Dear Guest

Greetings from Dreams Punta Cana. Thank you for taking the time to write your comments. We are thrilled to see that you have enjoyed so much our resort. We are pleased that you loved our food and we will be passing on your comments to Yanely about her excellent work. Once again thank you for choosing us.

Waterbury, Connecticut
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 19, 2013

The services at Dreams Punta Cana were great. I had an amazing vacation thanks to the wonderful entertainment team. I couldn't possibly thank the following people enough: Shaggy, Pepe, Ne Yo, Pauly, Yanelli and La Volanta, for keeping my husband, son and I enterained continuously. The services were great because there was always an activity going on to help bond people together.

I was not able to try 3 of the restaurants at Dreams because one was closed for the week, or the others were adults only. Portofino did not offer a large selection of options, the food was okay. Seaside Grill offers more options, but the wait was long for the food to be brought out. World Cafe seemed to be the most convienent for a majority of the people at the resort because things go along your own speed.

Since I did not intend on being in my room frequently, only at night to sleep, I decided to reserve a basic room at Dreams. It fit my needs and was comfortable for my family and I.

Again, the most memorable part of my vacation was participating in the daily activities the Dreams entertainment had to offer because you win Dreams Dollars, in which you can use in their Monday, Wednesday or Friday auctions. I won the auction for a 25 minute massage, and could not have been more pleased. I am amazed at the hard work each employee in Dreams puts in daily with a smile on their face.

I read reviews where people say that they got a food illness while in the resort, but while my 7 days their I did not see one person sick... My advice to anyone who is concerned would be to ask for bottled water at every restaurant and when brushing their teeth use bottled water to rinse. Finally, the property including the beach was cleaned frequently by staff to ensure maintenance.

Room Tip: I had a 2nd floor room and I had no trouble with noise.
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled with family
Pascal M, Manager at Dreams Punta Cana Resort & Spa, responded to this review, September 21, 2013
Dear Guest

Greetings from Dreams Punta Cana. First of all thank you for taking the time to write your review. We are thrilled to see that you had such a great time with us. Like you we do think that our entertainment staff does a great job at making sure that all of our guests have a great time. Alsoall of our daily activities are made to ensure a great day. We will be passing on your comments to those mentioned and we do hope to see you back with us in the future.

North Shields, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 18, 2013

Great value for money with lots of restaurants to choose from in the evening. The most fantastic and largest Pool in the Dominican. We have been twice and can't wait to return. No complaints what so ever

• Stayed October 2012, traveled with family
Pascal M, Manager at Dreams Punta Cana Resort & Spa, responded to this review, September 19, 2013
Dear Guest

Greetings from Dreams Punta Cana. Thank you for taking the time to write your review. We are thrilled to see that you have enjoyed so much our restaurant and our pool. We do hope that you will come back and visit again. Once again thank you.

Oklahoma City, Oklahoma
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 17, 2013

The food is pretty good. If the stand alone restaurants were in the US they would go out of business - it isn't that good.

The big problem we had was with food poisoning. I cover all the details in a long blog post here: http://davidmichaelchristopher.com/blog/punta-cana-food-poisoning-and-iarrhea/

Basically we got sick on our second night along with half of the resort. It sort of ruined it for us, but my son didn't get sick until we got home so at least we got to enjoy it through his eyes.

The hotel wasn't particularly accommodating either. When we booked a couple of months before the vacation we asked for a ground floor double. Even though we had a toddler and my wife as pregnant they couldn't find a better room for us than on the third floor - a challenging walk with no elevator and a stroller, especially for my wife.

The pool, the grounds and the beaches at Dreams Punta Cana are excellent. Our toddler love the pool and it has graded entrances and lots of secluded nooks, so it feels safe and manageable.

To be honest I've heard other people getting diarrhea at other Punta Cana hotels, so I guess it just happens. I wouldn't advise travelling there if you are pregnant (we just had a healthy 8lb 10oz boy), elderly or a baby, because there's a good chance you will get sick. But otherwise - sure, take your chances.

Room Tip: - Some ground floor rooms open right onto a little patio and have a hammock and some sloping grass t...
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled with family
Lake Elsinore, California
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 16, 2013

Our family of four very much enjoyed our stay at Dreams, and have a considerable list of pros and cons, and dos and don'ts, so hang on tight:

If you are looking for a super-upscale couples-only all-inclusive, this is not your hotel. If, however, you want a budget-friendly, family-friendly all-inclusive in a third-world country for a relaxing or party-esque getaway, definitely stay here; it's worth every penny.

Cons: The property is older, the showers have half-doors and tend to spray water on the floor, our toilet sang every 2 minutes and had to be turned off at night, and room ventilation leaves you feeling a bit muggy. Food is ample, but the quality (aside from fruit) is mediocre. I'd have killed for a bottle of tapatio. We did NOT get sick; just be sure to stick to readily-available bottled water. The property is enormous, so prepare for lots of walking. Also, EVERYWHERE YOU GO people will try to sell you things and services and timeshares. It's VERY tiresome.

Pros: The service is beyond exceptional. The entire staff was delightful. I cannot stress this enough. The rooms were comfortable and cool, the food was plentiful, the range of available activities is extensive, the pool complex is lovely and 3 feet deep to accommodate non-swimmers, and the entertainment is exceptional. The staff is not only gracious, but tremendously talented. Also, if you snorkel, you MUSTMUSTMUST borrow a mask and fins; within the roped-off swim-able beach area there is a small coral reef with fish, urchins, anemones...no need to book a snorkel excursion when there's one 30 feet off the beach!!! Also, for families, the kids' club is amazing, and since most of the drunken partying takes place at the end of the pool closest to the beach, it's easy to escape the noise and alcohol with your kids in the entire rest of the pool.

We were encouraged by our Apple representative to go on the Marinarium excursion (2 adults + 2 kids = $300) and told it was "the best snorkeling trip in the Caribbean." TOTAL FAIL. If you're a swingin' single, go for it; it's 20 minutes with nurse sharks and stingrays, and 2 hours of drunken reveling to loud music. If you've got kids, STAY AWAY; their snorkel equipment is crap, they have no fins, the music is way too loud, and if you don't drink, the "natural pool" is a total bust. Do the Santo Domingo trip instead. It's 6 hours roundtrip in a bus plus 4 hours in the capital walking, yes, but there's no better cultural or historical trip available.

Finally, if you're more "family" and less "party", please remember that this is a budget trip in a third-world country. Tips help in ways you cannot imagine, and the food, entertainment, and accommodations, while maybe not up to boutique standards, are infinitely beyond anything the staff has ever personally experienced, and you will not only get what you pay for, but be served eagerly and with a smile by some of the nicest people in the Caribbean. Enjoy!

• Stayed September 2013, traveled with family
Pascal M, Manager at Dreams Punta Cana Resort & Spa, responded to this review, September 18, 2013
Dear Guest

Greetings from Dreams Punta Cana. Thank you for taking the time to write your comments about your trip. We are thrilled to see that you had such a great time during your stay. Like you we do think that our staff does a great job at making sure that all of our guests have a great stay. We will be passing on your comments to all of those mentioned and we are sure that they will be more then happy to see that you took the time to mention there excellent service.

Lebanon, Pennsylvania
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 15, 2013

This resort had one of the most beautiful grounds we had the pleasure to enjoy. It was not the best beach we have ever been on but the pool was also very nice because it was like a river that ran the length of the resort. The French and Asian restaurant were the best meals we ever had at a resort. The Barefoot Grill on the beach was a disappointment. The entertainment except for one show was very good. The Magic show and the Circus show were outstanding. I booked a swim up room and I was upgraded to a Honeymoon Suite with out asking for it. I don't mean to b ungrateful but I would've preferred my swim up room that I booked. I would've said no if I would've known being closer to the beach really wasn't an asset nor was the extra room. It would've been more enjoyable to be closer to the pool and on the 1st floor. All in all it was a beautiful resort , entertainment food and service was very good.

Room Tip: get a swim up room
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple
Dear Guest

Greetings from Dreams Punta Cana. First of all thank you for taking the time to write your review. We are pleased to see that you have enjoyed so much your vacation with us from our food, to our pool and also our staff. We take great pride in making sure that all of our guests have a great time. Once again thank you for taking the time to write your review and we hope that you will visit again.

pmessier@dreamsresorts.com

Been to Dreams Punta Cana Resort & Spa? Share your experiences!