“Not A Dream Come True” 3 of 5 stars
Review of Dreams Punta Cana

Save Saved
You added Dreams Punta Cana to your Saves list
Dreams Punta Cana
4.0 of 5 Resort (All-Inclusive)   |   Playas Uvero Alto - Provincia La Altagracia, Punta Cana, Dominican Republic   |
Hotel deals
Special Offer
Hot Hot Hot Savings!
Ranked #47 of 100 hotels in Punta Cana
Wellesley, MA
“Not A Dream Come True”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed December 31, 2012

My family and I visited Dreams Punta Cana from 12/25-31. The grounds are very nice with lots of plants, flamingos and fish. The pool and beach area very clean. The staff is very friendly and the food is average. The rooms are not just tired, they are "over-tired". We had many problems in our rooms from a refrigerator not working, alarm clock that obviously didn't work, broken safe, ac with a small leak, no hair dryer, etc. I believe that when you asked for something to be fixed, they would just take it from another empty room. The air conditioning was minimal. Thankfully they have ceiling fans.

Beach drink service is spotty. If she asked you if you wanted a drink and you said no, you were never asked again. The beach is nice and we were not bothered by salespeople in the lounging areas. Chairs were plentiful. The pool area is very active although we spent most of the time at the beach.

The entertainment at night is okay. The performers are hardworking as we could see them practicing early in the morning for a 9:30 pm performance.

Our best meal was at Oceana although we were asked to wait 30 minutes for a table at 8:45 pm when half the restaurant was empty. Portofino was average - nothing special. Seaside Grill average (don't order the ribs!).

We did have fantastic massages at the spa which is very pretty and the wellness circuit is very cool. We managed to avoid the timeshare meeting so we paid full price and that seemed to surprise them! The fitness center is very nice and big too.

I would probably return to Dominican Republic but I would definitely not return to Dreams unless a huge renovation to the rooms was made.

Room Tip: No elevators, so if you have problems with stairs request a 1st floor room.
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled with family

5,624 people have reviewed this hotel

2019
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (1,222)
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
Maumee, Ohio
1 of 5 stars Reviewed December 31, 2012

My husband and I recently stayed at Dreams Punta Cana. We booked the trip through Apple Vacations through their 6 Golden Apple Square Deal. We did not know we were going to be staying at Dreams Punta Cana when we booked the trip: we found out before we got on the plane to the Dominica Republic. When we found out we were going to be at Dreams Punta Cana we immediately checked their website from our smart phone. We saw pictures and reviews. We felt comfortable with what we were given by Apple. Sadly, we were surprised, disappointed, and felt mislead. This resort did not live up to the 6 Golden Apple Square Deal nor did it live up the information provided on the Dream’s website.

Problems began on our first day at check in. During check in we were told that one of the restaurants was open for lunch: considering our long trip to Punta Cana we wanted to eat as soon as check in was completed. Immediately after check in we were taken to a time share sales pitch. We have been to several all inclusive resorts and this was the first time we were subjected to a push for a time share sale. For a resort rated so high we would never have expected to experience this.

The biggest issue occurred four days into our trip. After lunch we returned to our room to change into swimsuits. When we walked up to our room, we rounded the corner, and that is when we saw men with gas masks running at us indicating to turn back. We followed the instructions from the men. The ceiling in front of our door was down: they were spraying for bugs and we were exposed to the chemicals they were using. However, there were no warning signs or any workers stopping people from entering the area. There were no notifications that this was going to be occurring. There was nothing to warn a reasonable person to stay away prior to exposure. The stench was awful and my husband and I became very ill with nausea, headache, dizziness, and chest pains lasting for about 2 hours following exposure. We immediately went to the front desk (the Apple Representative was not at his desk). We expressed our concerns and we were told by the front desk that this was normal. They offered to move us into another room in a building that was also being sprayed. We indicated we would not be sleeping in the building being sprayed. That night at approximately 6:30pm we were moved to another room in a different building. The next morning we woke up to find they were spraying for bugs again. We went to speak to the Apple representative and again asked to be moved to another room. That night we were given a new upgraded room. We were shocked and appalled by this experience. We were given no notification that fumigation was to be done and to be told that this was a normal experience was insulting.

The problems continued daily with maid service arriving between 7:30am-8:30am. This is far too early to wake someone up to clean rooms. In addition to these issues, we found the amenities available at Dreams Punta Cana did not live up to a 6 Apple nor a Dreams resort. There were no hot tubs and there was no large pool area to swim or float in (pool is a long snake style pool, pretty, but not very functional). Most bars closed exceptionally early (pool and beach bars at 5:00). The food was also subpar in quality and often served cold. Also, most of the restaurants were closed. Three of the five restaurants were open on a rotation without a weekly schedule to base dining plans to. It was difficult to walk anywhere without trying to be sold something (this ranged from excursions to jewelry and other items), an experience that we did not have at the past two resorts we stayed at.

We cannot begin to adequately express our disappointment and disgust with this resort. We contacted Apple Vacations after our trip and were given two travel vouchers for $100 each and a form letter. Considering the amount we spent on the trip, this was more like a slap in the face. As a result of this experience we will not be staying at nor will we be recommending Dreams to anyone. Nor will we be recommending Apple Vacations Square Deal.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
indianapolis, IN
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 31, 2012

Our family of 12 stayed here during Christmas week.

First, if you are expecting the Ritz or Four Seasons, you will be disappointed. If you manage expectations, you will be pleased. The resort is an hour away from the airport (the holes in the road are repaired). I suggest a private van through prestige-limousine-services.com.

Rooms: The staff had all our requested rooms (sent an email two weeks before to concierge). A few inconveniences: safe not working, etc. We were in building 2 on the second floor, facing pool. Maid service generally adequate (we tipped every day), place always getting cleaned. The beds could use some new mattresses.

Grounds-- Beautiful foliage.

Staff --plentiful, extremely kind and pleasant--loved our little toddler.

Food: Ten-minute walk to World Cafe, but the exercise did us good. They need to have a place to eat near the beach (only preferred guests can eat at Oceana restaurant for breakfast & lunch--Barefoot Grill was very repetitive with only hamburgers, chicken, and hot dogs). If you have any physically challenged people in your party, would recommend upgrading to Preferred Buildings 6 or 7.

Continuous activities: tennis lessons, archery, foam party, zumba, catamaran, kayaking, wind-surfing. Amazing teen area. Didn't use the Explorers Club, spa, casino, or evening entertainment. Fitness room small, but adequate.

In general, this resort needs an infusion of funds for maintenance & renovations.

Service staff have limited English skills (we are not in the US), but you can always call the concierge with a problem.

Had a couple of "ugly American" incidents. Please don't embarass us with your demands and crude behavior!

Restaurants: They don't take reservations. I advise getting there when they open if you have children or don't want to wait.

Japanese-fun. If you want the teppanyaki rooms (there are only 3), one person has to get there by 5:45 pm or so to put in your name for 6, 7:30, or 9 seating.
Italian-good, only adults, pretty view
Oceana--my favorite. A tip: they have two "wine cellar" rooms, each serving 5. That's all you have to do is buy a bottle of wine to get these rooms. They were so nice that they moved all the chairs and tables to the one room to accommodate our party of 12.
Seaview Grill--my least favorite.
World Cafe: a distance to walk. The usual wide variety, but good for children.
Used room service a couple of times for breakfast--give them 30 minutes.

Check the website for dress code: men need long pants in some restaurants.

Christmas Day - Santa Claus came in a helicopter and gave each child a beautiful, age-appropriate gift (They could have managed the crowd a bit better).

Wish they would have had Christmas Mass during the day rather than at 12 midnight (too late for children).

Beach: Atlantic Ocean (you are not on the Carribean side). We loved the waves! Stay in the designated area for swimming and you won't hit the rocks underfoot. We used the chairs over on the far side which were quiet. Tip: if you walk about 20 minutes to the west, you will reach a "souvenir shop" run by a European woman--half the resort prices. There are some abandoned resorts. It's a very long walk to any other resorts. On two of the six days we were there, the "red flag" prohibited any boats, kayaks, etc. The other four days, we were able to use the catamarans (you have to be able to sail), the kayaks, and the windsurfers. Beautiful 80-82 degree weather the entire time!

Excursions: recommend the surf lessons at Macao Beach (not part of resort--reserve on line). Also, the dune buggy rides (also not connected with resort) if you want thrills and mud (two youngsters loved it). We also did horseback riding on the beach through Rancho el Differente. The representative stands near the entertainment area--we were a bit leery but ended up having a great time. We took a short ride to their ranch and rode for almost two hours, much of the time on the beach (even galloping)-a highlight of my daughter's trip. Also paid for the banana boat ride on the beach--fun.

We were never bothered by time-share reps or vendors. Advice--don't make eye contact and just shake your head "no."

If you don't want tons of childen underfoot, don't go when there is school vacations!

• Stayed December 2012, traveled with family
Brookyn, New York
2 of 5 stars Reviewed December 31, 2012

I had a chance to take a last minute trip and tried to research as much as I could, and came across Dreams. The reviews seemed pretty good and pictures of the grounds looked beautiful.
Upon arriving I didn't realize it was almost 1 hour away from the airport, and if you are stuck in midday traffic it can be longer.
I purposely took a flight that arrived at after 2pm, thinking by the time I got to the hotel after 3:30pm I could check in immediate and go start my vacation. When I got to the front desk I was told rooms are not ready (even though they are not over booked and check in time is at 3pm). The front desk pointed us to the lounges in the lobby to go talk to some guy that basically is trying to sell us excursions, and then go catch the end of buffet lunch because it will be a minimum of 1 hour till the room will be ready. The lobby is not airconditioned and coming from NYC it wasn't very comfortable sitting around in jeans, sweater and boots in 100% humidity. After numerous times of telling the sales guy that we are not interested in the excursions and just have a few days to relax he left us alone and we went to the buffet. At this point the buffet had very slim options since they were already preparing to close lunch service. We ate what we could, the food was not great just edible. After 1 hour of waiting we went back to the front desk and were told it will be another 25 minutes they are still preparing the room. I told the front desk that I'm upset and need to change my clothes and they need to get us a room immediately, she said ok and they will see what they can do. We were told to go sit and wait. After 15 minutes the front desk lady asked us if it will be ok if they put us in a similar room in another building because that room is ready, we agreed.
Nobody escorts you or walks you to your room to make sure the room is to your satisfaction, you just walk through the maze of buildings and look for your room yourself. The room is small, but nice at first glance. The bathroom is beyond tiny with a little half a plastic glass instead of a shower curtain. So basically everytime you shower the bathroom floor becomes a small pool.
So the room was just made up and all set for us right? WRONG... not a single towel or bathmat.
I called the front desk to ask for towels, it took them 2 more phone calls and total of 1 1/2 hours to get some fresh towels. RIDICULOUS.
The grounds are beautiful and the beach is never over crowded. However if you are not a strong swimmer you will get carried away by the extremely strong current. I also didn't appreciate the 3rd party vendors lined up in one area that would hound you to book various activities or trip excursions through their companies, until you tell them to leave you alone they don't. There is some waitress service by the beach, but it can be a bit of a wait and after a while tapers off all together.
The food in every restaurant and buffet are just mediocre, I don't think I had a single meal that was excellent or memorable. There was a memorable appetizer at one of the restaurants that basically took tuna out of a can and dumped it into a martini glass with some greens. All the drinks are pretty much low end liquor or beer in small glasses.
Some other not so fun features of the room, the clogged bathtub drain that needed to be repaired, the weird mold looking stains on the walls. The hotel version of bedding was very sad.
They use a flat sheet on the Kings size beds that constantly rides up and you wind up sleeping on the naked mattress. Their version of a duvet is taking 2 flat sheets one on top and one on bottom and sandwiching a cheap blanket between them. Don't even get me started on the sad pillows, either its totally flat or you are sleeping sitting up.
The swimming pool was very nice, again not enough waitress service to make sure that you had a drink. The swimup bar was always mobbed and there is only one. Lunch is limited to buffet or their version of BBQ on the beach, which is a burnt on the top and raw in the middle pork hotdog or charred hamburger.
Overall, a disappointing experience from the non-existent service (nobody goes above and beyond service wise, not even if you tip) and poor food, I suggest stay somewhere else.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
Whitby, Canada
3 of 5 stars Reviewed December 30, 2012

My husband and I stayed at the resort over the Christmas holidays. I will begin with the positive aspects of the resort: the pool and beach was absolutely stunning. We had a truly relaxing time by the pool. The grounds are immaculate. The resort has no shortage of activities (although everything seems to cost extra). I would recommend it for families, as there are numerous programs and activities for kids.

The room was very musty, but seemed clean. As for the food, I was disappointed with the choices of places to eat for breakfast and lunch. If you were not part of the "Preferred Club", your choices were very limited. The food, for the most part, was ok- nothing spectacular. Do NOT order the room service! The food was disgusting.

Our biggest issue would have to be how pushy people were, both on the resort, and on resort excursions. We were hassled by a representative from the Zoetry sister resort to pay $16,000 (!) for a "once in a lifetime" service. When we politely declined this outrageous "offer", the representative, Carlos, was extremely rude. Also, since the beach is only about a 5 minute walk across, my husband and I decided to walk past the resort boundaries. Big mistake. There are hoards of people waiting at the exits on either side of the beach who will hassle you incessantly to buy something. For those of you who would enjoy a long walk on the beach, you'll have to limit it to a 5 minute walk, unless you want the company of a bunch of sketchy hagglers. Finally, if you are planning on taking a dune buggy ride (which was really fun), expect to stop at about 5 places where you'll be inundated with people pushing you to buy things. One thing I've learned- the Dominican people we met, who were trying to sell us one thing or another, do not react well to the word "no".

Last, I had the unfortunate experience of breaking my finger- the medical station had no ice packs. Or band-aids.......

All in all, we had a great trip- it's not hard when you're in paradise:) Would we stay at Dreams again? Probably not.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
Kincardine, Canada
3 of 5 stars Reviewed December 30, 2012

We joined our three sons and a few of their friends here on December 14 - 22nd. My husband and I are in our 50's and the rest of the group was in their 20's and 30's. The property is beautiful and very well kept. The main buffet was always okay and the staff there was always great. I would have to agree that eating at any of the other restaurants seemed to present difficulties for the staff to seat and serve our group of 13 - 15, for which they never offered any apologies. Our group sat and nibbled at some buns and drank the one drink served for TWO hours before we received our meal. Two left at the 1 1/2 hour mark and headed for the buffet! We were disappointed with the lack of seafood as well. The staff at the casino were not inviting and one staff was rude with people then choosing to avoid her table. There was very little nightlife here that made for some disappointment with our group however it did mean peace and quiet. Overall the staff need to watch and learn from Phillipe and Beauty. They were 'excellente!' Genuine friendliness and courtesy was really lacking by many of the staff with them offering only learned standard lines, "my pleasure" etc. When we were checking out, I was lugging a roll suitcase and had my purse and another bag over my shoulder. I passed 7 staff on the way and not one offered any assistance. The swim up bar was under staffed and they certainly did ignore many customers. We, luckily, were not among them. Overall the staff was not eager, willing and friendly. We had a great time because we had a great group but the service here was not as good as we get here in Canada and definitely not as good as Mexico.

Room Tip: We had swim out rooms and enjoyed them for access to swim up bar and beach.
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled with friends
2 of 5 stars Reviewed December 27, 2012

We stayed at this hotel the week between Xmas and new years this year. I will start off by saying we did have a great time on vacation there with our two kids. The weather was gorgeous,the grounds were beautiful, the spa was nice and inexpensive, and the entertainment was ok. I will now move to the disappointments. I have no idea where the picture of the rooms came from on their website, they were very dumpy and looked nothing like it. We got locked out of our room numerous times due to a screwed up key system they couldn't seem to fix and finally compensated with us with an upgrade to the preferred club. The food was less than mediocre and the buffet constantly had fruit flys around it. We did not know ahead of time that we couldn't even get into portifino or the hibachi due to us having our kids with us. The resort credits we were given also were a joke as you could only use them certain ways and they were broken up into small increments that could only be used one at a time. The first night my daughter got eaten alive by Mosquitos and we had to bathe them in bug repellent after that. We did not see much of punts Cana to give a review of that as the resort was about an hour from anything and we were told it was not safe to venture out. For what we spent on this vacation, I expected better food and much cleaner, kept up hotel rooms. We will never stay at a dreams again. Luckily it did not rain till we left, as we didn't have to spend much time in the room.

Stayed December 2012, traveled with family

Been to Dreams Punta Cana? Share your experiences!