“Not Dreamy” 2 of 5 stars
Review of Dreams Punta Cana Resort & Spa

Save Saved
You added Dreams Punta Cana Resort & Spa to your Saves list
Dreams Punta Cana Resort & Spa
4.0 of 5 Resort (All-Inclusive)   |   Playas Uvero Alto - Provincia La Altagracia, Punta Cana, Dominican Republic   |
Hotel deals
Special Offer
Free Nights!
Ranked #44 of 100 Hotels in Punta Cana
Brookyn, New York
“Not Dreamy”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed December 31, 2012

I had a chance to take a last minute trip and tried to research as much as I could, and came across Dreams. The reviews seemed pretty good and pictures of the grounds looked beautiful.
Upon arriving I didn't realize it was almost 1 hour away from the airport, and if you are stuck in midday traffic it can be longer.
I purposely took a flight that arrived at after 2pm, thinking by the time I got to the hotel after 3:30pm I could check in immediate and go start my vacation. When I got to the front desk I was told rooms are not ready (even though they are not over booked and check in time is at 3pm). The front desk pointed us to the lounges in the lobby to go talk to some guy that basically is trying to sell us excursions, and then go catch the end of buffet lunch because it will be a minimum of 1 hour till the room will be ready. The lobby is not airconditioned and coming from NYC it wasn't very comfortable sitting around in jeans, sweater and boots in 100% humidity. After numerous times of telling the sales guy that we are not interested in the excursions and just have a few days to relax he left us alone and we went to the buffet. At this point the buffet had very slim options since they were already preparing to close lunch service. We ate what we could, the food was not great just edible. After 1 hour of waiting we went back to the front desk and were told it will be another 25 minutes they are still preparing the room. I told the front desk that I'm upset and need to change my clothes and they need to get us a room immediately, she said ok and they will see what they can do. We were told to go sit and wait. After 15 minutes the front desk lady asked us if it will be ok if they put us in a similar room in another building because that room is ready, we agreed.
Nobody escorts you or walks you to your room to make sure the room is to your satisfaction, you just walk through the maze of buildings and look for your room yourself. The room is small, but nice at first glance. The bathroom is beyond tiny with a little half a plastic glass instead of a shower curtain. So basically everytime you shower the bathroom floor becomes a small pool.
So the room was just made up and all set for us right? WRONG... not a single towel or bathmat.
I called the front desk to ask for towels, it took them 2 more phone calls and total of 1 1/2 hours to get some fresh towels. RIDICULOUS.
The grounds are beautiful and the beach is never over crowded. However if you are not a strong swimmer you will get carried away by the extremely strong current. I also didn't appreciate the 3rd party vendors lined up in one area that would hound you to book various activities or trip excursions through their companies, until you tell them to leave you alone they don't. There is some waitress service by the beach, but it can be a bit of a wait and after a while tapers off all together.
The food in every restaurant and buffet are just mediocre, I don't think I had a single meal that was excellent or memorable. There was a memorable appetizer at one of the restaurants that basically took tuna out of a can and dumped it into a martini glass with some greens. All the drinks are pretty much low end liquor or beer in small glasses.
Some other not so fun features of the room, the clogged bathtub drain that needed to be repaired, the weird mold looking stains on the walls. The hotel version of bedding was very sad.
They use a flat sheet on the Kings size beds that constantly rides up and you wind up sleeping on the naked mattress. Their version of a duvet is taking 2 flat sheets one on top and one on bottom and sandwiching a cheap blanket between them. Don't even get me started on the sad pillows, either its totally flat or you are sleeping sitting up.
The swimming pool was very nice, again not enough waitress service to make sure that you had a drink. The swimup bar was always mobbed and there is only one. Lunch is limited to buffet or their version of BBQ on the beach, which is a burnt on the top and raw in the middle pork hotdog or charred hamburger.
Overall, a disappointing experience from the non-existent service (nobody goes above and beyond service wise, not even if you tip) and poor food, I suggest stay somewhere else.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (1,312)
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
Whitby, Canada
3 of 5 stars Reviewed December 30, 2012

My husband and I stayed at the resort over the Christmas holidays. I will begin with the positive aspects of the resort: the pool and beach was absolutely stunning. We had a truly relaxing time by the pool. The grounds are immaculate. The resort has no shortage of activities (although everything seems to cost extra). I would recommend it for families, as there are numerous programs and activities for kids.

The room was very musty, but seemed clean. As for the food, I was disappointed with the choices of places to eat for breakfast and lunch. If you were not part of the "Preferred Club", your choices were very limited. The food, for the most part, was ok- nothing spectacular. Do NOT order the room service! The food was disgusting.

Our biggest issue would have to be how pushy people were, both on the resort, and on resort excursions. We were hassled by a representative from the Zoetry sister resort to pay $16,000 (!) for a "once in a lifetime" service. When we politely declined this outrageous "offer", the representative, Carlos, was extremely rude. Also, since the beach is only about a 5 minute walk across, my husband and I decided to walk past the resort boundaries. Big mistake. There are hoards of people waiting at the exits on either side of the beach who will hassle you incessantly to buy something. For those of you who would enjoy a long walk on the beach, you'll have to limit it to a 5 minute walk, unless you want the company of a bunch of sketchy hagglers. Finally, if you are planning on taking a dune buggy ride (which was really fun), expect to stop at about 5 places where you'll be inundated with people pushing you to buy things. One thing I've learned- the Dominican people we met, who were trying to sell us one thing or another, do not react well to the word "no".

Last, I had the unfortunate experience of breaking my finger- the medical station had no ice packs. Or band-aids.......

All in all, we had a great trip- it's not hard when you're in paradise:) Would we stay at Dreams again? Probably not.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
Kincardine, Canada
3 of 5 stars Reviewed December 30, 2012

We joined our three sons and a few of their friends here on December 14 - 22nd. My husband and I are in our 50's and the rest of the group was in their 20's and 30's. The property is beautiful and very well kept. The main buffet was always okay and the staff there was always great. I would have to agree that eating at any of the other restaurants seemed to present difficulties for the staff to seat and serve our group of 13 - 15, for which they never offered any apologies. Our group sat and nibbled at some buns and drank the one drink served for TWO hours before we received our meal. Two left at the 1 1/2 hour mark and headed for the buffet! We were disappointed with the lack of seafood as well. The staff at the casino were not inviting and one staff was rude with people then choosing to avoid her table. There was very little nightlife here that made for some disappointment with our group however it did mean peace and quiet. Overall the staff need to watch and learn from Phillipe and Beauty. They were 'excellente!' Genuine friendliness and courtesy was really lacking by many of the staff with them offering only learned standard lines, "my pleasure" etc. When we were checking out, I was lugging a roll suitcase and had my purse and another bag over my shoulder. I passed 7 staff on the way and not one offered any assistance. The swim up bar was under staffed and they certainly did ignore many customers. We, luckily, were not among them. Overall the staff was not eager, willing and friendly. We had a great time because we had a great group but the service here was not as good as we get here in Canada and definitely not as good as Mexico.

Room Tip: We had swim out rooms and enjoyed them for access to swim up bar and beach.
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled with friends
2 of 5 stars Reviewed December 27, 2012

We stayed at this hotel the week between Xmas and new years this year. I will start off by saying we did have a great time on vacation there with our two kids. The weather was gorgeous,the grounds were beautiful, the spa was nice and inexpensive, and the entertainment was ok. I will now move to the disappointments. I have no idea where the picture of the rooms came from on their website, they were very dumpy and looked nothing like it. We got locked out of our room numerous times due to a screwed up key system they couldn't seem to fix and finally compensated with us with an upgrade to the preferred club. The food was less than mediocre and the buffet constantly had fruit flys around it. We did not know ahead of time that we couldn't even get into portifino or the hibachi due to us having our kids with us. The resort credits we were given also were a joke as you could only use them certain ways and they were broken up into small increments that could only be used one at a time. The first night my daughter got eaten alive by Mosquitos and we had to bathe them in bug repellent after that. We did not see much of punts Cana to give a review of that as the resort was about an hour from anything and we were told it was not safe to venture out. For what we spent on this vacation, I expected better food and much cleaner, kept up hotel rooms. We will never stay at a dreams again. Luckily it did not rain till we left, as we didn't have to spend much time in the room.

Stayed December 2012, traveled with family
Blue Bell, Pennsylvania
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 26, 2012

This was my fourth experience at a UVC property, my first at this particular location. We stayed from December 15 through the 22nd and there were three of us: my husband and I are in our mid-30's and we have a son in Pre-K. We are members of the UV club, which means we get an automatic upgrade to the Preferred Club as well as a room upgrade, beyond this no one at any of the resorts know what being a member of UVC means. Overall we were pleased with the resort. It was and is what we have come to expect from Secrets/Dreams, courteous and friendly staff, clean amenities and plentiful seating around the pool and beach. The food was also as expected, but the opening was sporadic sometimes; specifically at World Cafe it was supposed to open at 12:30pm other times 12:45pm. We missed Bordeaux (because it isn't at this resort) never made it to Portofino (the adults only restaurant) and were very pleased with El Patio. We took our son to Himitsu one night and he was happy, but no great fire tricks this time. The Explorer's Club was fabulous and our son loved it, especially Patricia. Unfortunately though on the last two days, they were not prepared to open at 9am as they are supposed to. One day they opened at 9:10am and the next they still weren't ready at 9:15am. Wireless service was spotty in some areas of the hotel. Zumba wasn't really zumba, but such is life.

Room Tip: There are few ocean view rooms. Not even a Preferred Club/UV Club member is guaranteed a view. We su...
piqua
2 of 5 stars Reviewed December 24, 2012

food was bad, couldn't get in half of the places to eat w/o being club member. seafood buffet @ world cafe had red snapper and parrot fish, and that was it...no shrimp.crab legs,lobster etc. ..no top shelf liquor and only el presidenta beer. one bartender @ swim-up bar only paid attentoin to good looking females, holding their hands and flirting, ignoring me and other people trying to get a drink. rooms old and out dated, not near what i was expecting. do yourself a favor and DO NOT STAY HERE!!!!!!! i travel alot and this place blows!!!!

Newtown Square, PA
2 of 5 stars Reviewed December 24, 2012

Don't fall for the "6 golden apples" like we did with Apple Vacation. Someone diff paid them off for this rating. I travel frequently; both work and play. Met many other travels that have come to DR multiple times and, they too, find this place hard to take. I also read the reviews in the lobby. Sadly, they leave the book right at the reception area. Poor, poor reviews, especially in the area of service. Room services, cleaning, being on time in general; not at all known to this hotel. My guess is that they either don't have enough people working the hotel or training is a amist. We won't be staying here again. We got the preferred guest suite; not worth the pricing. Internet is assigned every 5 hours, you need to go to the lobby and get a paper. Extra restaurant is a waste. Room is worth the extra space, especially with kids. We went during high season (week before Xmas through New Years) and the place wasn't even close to half booked. That tells you something right there. The people of DR are beautiful / sweet and so is the weather. I would def recommend coming to the Island, just not Dreams Punta Cana.

Room Tip: If you do plan on coming here, and again don't, go for the preferred guest suite, especially if...
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled with family

Been to Dreams Punta Cana Resort & Spa? Share your experiences!