“Not for travelers who know better” 2 of 5 stars
Review of Dreams Punta Cana Resort & Spa

Save Saved
You added Dreams Punta Cana Resort & Spa to your Saves list
Dreams Punta Cana Resort & Spa
4.0 of 5 Resort (All-Inclusive)   |   Playas Uvero Alto - Provincia La Altagracia, Punta Cana, Dominican Republic   |
Hotel deals
Ranked #40 of 100 Hotels in Punta Cana
Orlando, Florida, United States
“Not for travelers who know better”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed December 19, 2012

I must start this review by saying that I am an avid traveler -- both for business and leisure. I spend 100+ days on the road each year and I've been doing that for many years.

If you're not an experience traveler, then I would likely say that you'd be happy with this place. For me and the 15 other people that we were traveling with, it was less than a positive experience and I personally would not recommend Dreams Punta Cana to anyone I know.

That said, I'd like to present the pros of the resort first:

1) You will almost always get a chair at the pool or beach. You won't have to wake up at the crack of dawn to drop your magazine and towel on a chair in hopes of saving it somehow, for after you've eaten breakfast. The pool was very clean. If you upgrade to Preferred Club , you can get a lovely beachside bed to rest in and terrific staff that continuously bring you drinks.

2) The Staff that manage the Preferred Club are really helpful. It's as if they already know that the accommodations are so bad that they go out of their way to do other things for you. Plus, it's the only place where you can get top-shelf \drinks as all other bars only provide wells to guests.

3) Their spa is great and their circuit is wonderul. You can listen to some timeshare guy in the lobby give you a schpiel and he'll give you a coupon book in which you can get 40 bucks off of a massage.

Here were the cons to our stay:

1) It's a solid 45 minute to a 1-hour ride from the airport. And that's ok, but the last thing you want to do is be shoved into a bar and asked to wait for someone from the Preferred Club (which you paid to upgrade to) to come and get you. We sat in that bar for nearly 35 minutes before we had to remind the registration folks that we were still there.

2) When we arrived at the Preferred Club, we were immediately told that the hotel was not at full capacity (we found out later it was less than 50% full) and asked if we would like to upgrade our room to a honeymoon suite for $100 a night. Based on the pictures of the room that we booked, we thought we'd be fine in the room that we reserved, so we said no. When we were brought to our room and the door was opened, we were immediately taken back by the smell of mold and mildew. It was completely overwhelming. The Preferred Club representative clearly smelled it too as she immediately opened up the sliding glass door. The second thing we noticed was that we had 2 beds in our room (which we reserved a king) and what was even funnier was that they were on rolling casters. If you sat on them, they rolled out from under you. After about a minute of standing in the room I told my husband that there was no way we could stay in that room even one night as we couldn't even catch our breath -- the smell was horrific. So we decided to upgrade to that Honeymoon suite she offered. Bait and switch? You decide.

3) We met up with our friends who arrived a few days before and sadly, didn't say anything to the folks at the hotel and decided to stay in the type of room that they tried to give us. She said that she knew it was awful but didn't think that anything would be better. Thankfully, they decided to change their room too because any of our friends that stayed in those room types all came down with some sort of head/sinus funk which we assume was caused by all of the mold and mildew. After we sorted out their room issue, we decided to go to dinner. We went to their Seaside Grill and ordered. I let them know that I do not eat meat and asked for their Grilled Mahi without any of the potatoes and a side salad. I got the grilled Mahi with the potatoes that had bacon in them and a side salad topped with bacon. Awesome.

3) The next morning we left at 11:00am to get some breakfast. It was pouring, so we decided to make a run for the closest restaurant which was Oceana which offers a special "Preferred Club" breakfast. They were closed. I asked what would be open and I was told that nothing was until lunch now. I thought that was odd, but we decided we'd simply go back to the room and order room service. I ordered my breakfast --- 2 scrambled eggs with cheese -- in both English and Spanish. 45 minutes later, I received 2 eggs filled with sausage and vegetables -- no cheese. So I called back to explain and they said they'd be right there with the proper order. 30 minutes later we just decided to leave. (I found out the next day that their room service really wasn't worth a hour and a half wait unless everything is closed and at that point, just get the pizza because everything else is inedible.).

4) There is nothing to do there when it rains. It rained every day -- hours at a time -- with a window of about 1 - 2 hours of sunshine. Take advantage of it.

5) Our other friends began to arrive and were shown the same room types we all booked. We gave them a head's up on the mold and almost all were able to upgrade their rooms to something without the stench and rolling beds. Our friends needed to change their room 3 times during their stay as their first room was filled with black mold and their second room experience a major plumbing issue as the ceiling in their bathroom pretty much gave way from the water coming in from the room above them. Our other friends arrived back at their rooms to find their door open and folks cleaning it out as their room (in another building) had also flooded their stuff. We couldn't tell what type of water it was -- may have been sewage.

6) As we're used to traveling with a large party, we know that it's difficult to seat a party of 16 together right away and we're good with that. But as no restaurants there took reservations, eating dinner was always a bit of a nightmare. The worst was trying to get into Himitzu - their Teppanyaki restaurant that also has a Chinese restaurant within it. As we could never fit in any of their 3 seatings, we opted to try their regular Chinese cuisine. I will tell you that this was the worst restaurant of all of them. Their head chef should be fired and the restaurant closed down. Do not eat the fried rice -- it tastes like ash tray. Their sushi was crunchy and could not even be chewed. Their dishes were less than tasty and many of which were inedible. All 16 of us left after not eating anything other than the seaweed salad and opted for room-service Pizza. The only restaurant that was good (and I say that basing it on the quality of the rest of the restaurants on property) was Portofino. I recommend the Gnocchi.

7) Their entertainment at night is ghastly. The only thing that was somewhat interesting was karaoke night but as soon as folks started having fun, they shut it down. Their casino is the size of a large walk-in closet. Their "Disco" is dark, smells of a combination of manure and mold. It's impossible to breathe inside of it.

8) Nearly everyone caught some sort of head thing related to the mold and mildew. I had to take my husband to their doctor on the property (not associated with the hotel, just on their property). I'm no doctor but I'm a mother of 2 and I know a sinus infection and ear infection when I see one. The doctor agreed that he needed an antibiotic, ear drops and antihistimine, but then tried to upsell us into a "head x-ray". Seriously??? A head x-ray??? Sadly, the woman behind us who had just fallen on when stone and was waiting to see the doctor was likely sold the head x-ray. She probably needed it though.

9) Beware of the tarantulas. They're everywhere. On the last night of our stay I was walking from the bar by the pool to the ladies room (none of the toilets flushed) and the crazy tarantula went after me. I kid you not. We have pictures.

10) They're supposed to restock the refrigerators in the room every day. We had it done once while we were there for the 5 nights. Calling them did not help.

I could go on and on but you can see where this is going. I guess the most interesting part of the stay was when I checked in on Foursquare and said "They should call this place Nightmares instead of Dreams", their person who handles their Social Media reached out to me saying that they'd be in contact to talk about my stay and asked me to send them an email; which I did. I've yet to hear from them and it's been 10 days. I guess I should have expected that.

Punta Cana is a fantastic place. I was there 4 years ago with my husband at another all-inclusive resort and had an amazing experience. Dreams just doesn't do the Island any justice.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (1,360)
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
Bridgton
3 of 5 stars Reviewed December 19, 2012

Two years ago we visited this resort and food,service and grounds were fantastic!!!!!!!just got back Dec 15th from dreams Punta Cana and we were very disappointed with the resturants and food quality!!

Room Tip: #6 Second Floor Suite Very Nice!
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
San Antonio, Texas
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 16, 2012

This resort is one of the cleanest and most meticulously manicured resorts I have ever seen. The staff works extremely hard at satisfying each and every customer by using a personable approach, interacting with the customers on a daily basis to build a strong rapport with them to prevent isolation and promote the resort brand. The entertainment representatives were the hardest working of all the resort employees, especially Wilson, Beauty, and Angelo. Hector Ramos made us feel welcomed every night at the bar, while Onoris Navarro took care of us in the casino. The service at the spa was nothing short of experienced professionals. The grounds were well kept and the pools were pristine. Definitely will visit this resort again. The only thing that did bother us, as in other resorts, is the push to invest in their "timeshare" programs. Other than that, which I do not consider a shortfall, the resort lives up to its keyword of excellence.

• Stayed November 2012
kentucky
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 14, 2012

My husand and I visited Dreams Punta Cana for the second time back in September. I don't know what all of the complaints are about. This place is wonderful. The pool is awesome and staff is very friendly. We will be back hopefully soon for our little slice of heaven. I noticed on one of the other comments it stated that the front desk staff had their friends write the five star rewiews. I assure you I live in Kentucky and really loved my stay and I'm not friends with the front desk!!!!!

• Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
Queens New York
3 of 5 stars Reviewed December 12, 2012

Good:
The pool is one of the longest and natural ones we have experienced. My 5 and 3 year old loved it. There were so many locations along the length and edges we were able to easily set up and get into the water. (best part of the resort)

The beach did have lots of coconuts trees for shade so we were all happy building sand castles and since there were no adjacent resorts there were no beach traffic or vendors so it was very private and natural.

Rooms were excellent with flat screen TV and maid service, Overall the grounds was very well kept and very green and colorful with many native plants and flamingos and peacocks walking around!

Cons:
Too far from the airport 1 hr on a winding road with kids ...took a private van so we had AC / room to spread out ...a must if you have small kids and after a long flight.yea 1 hr back to airport.

The beach is rough for small kids and there are rocks that you can stub your shins on yes that big!! (don't forget the pool is awesome).
The sports bar / area is sad..drink service does not exist and the bartender spent his time playing pool! The disco was used as the venue to see the "Big" Sunday football games ..it is better than the other spots there.
The food was tasteless ...the ingredients exist ie steak, fish, shrimp etc but just bland all around. The drinks were fine but no top shelf vodka or scotch the rum offerings were average.
Would I go back ..no...but did enjoy the trip very much and would recommend it to others with the above comments...The wedding was fantastic on the beach and in the hall.

Room Tip: choose the deluxe family room...
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled with family
Toronto, Canada
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 11, 2012

We came to Dreams Punta Cana as we did our destination wedding at the Jellyfish Restaurant off resort but wanted a nicer hotel for our friends and family to stay at.

The good:
- Clean
- Lots of beach chairs
- Lots of towels
- The fruit stand lady
- The staff
- Entertainment
- The spa is amazing

The bad:
- Dated and tiny rooms
- The italian a la carte took 3 hours to finish our dinner service
- Resort itself is really far from the airport - 45minute - 1 hour bus ride
- There was no snacks

Although overall it was a nice place and you don't spend a lot of time in the rooms, I do think the resort is aging and it shows in the rooms and as a result I'd rate this more like a 4*

• Stayed November 2012, traveled with family
Toronto, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 10, 2012

This was our second visit to Dreams PC, we last visited in 2010 at the same time in September.

The transfer was about an hours journey, not bad. Check in was fine, we booked a Supersaver room and were told we had a nice room over looking the pool. The hotel seemed to be exactly as we remembered it although there was construction going on in the lobby area downstairs near the disco.

We got to our room and we saw he had 2 double beds, no biggie we thought, but then realised we cudn't even push them together, so we phoned reception and asked for a room change, they told us they had none available but may have some open up in a few days. Not good enough and i found that hard to believe, We went up to the reception and escalated the matter to someone else at reception, she was very good and dealt with our request very friendly and promptly, she put us in room 4314 overlooking the pool in block 4 with a king bed, a very nice room (corner unit) !!! they had outfitted all the rooms with plasma tv's mounted to the wall since our last visit.

We noticed that the buffet had less selection and a lot of empty stations compared to the last time we were here, also the big buffet area (world cafe) seemed to have less seating, but maybe this was due to the fact that this was a quiet time and not at full capacity. We noticed a lot of empty rooms in the block near the reception and eventually found out that the whole of block 1 and 2 were empty and were due to be renovated.

Lots of seats and beds at the pool, it was never busy you could take your pick. The pool is awesome here, the best pool we have ever had at a resort, a huge lazy river type of pool from one end of the resort to the other. Our pool waitress Maria was the best, she would bring us drinks all day long !

The beach isn't that great here but we knew that, the ocean is on the Atlantic side so its not the carribean ocean. For those looking for crystal blue ocean and white sand you will be sadly dissapointed but the pool and the rest of the resort more than make up for it, we are not big beach people anyways.

The lunch barefoot bbq down at the beach is good, they cook what you want in front of you and the staff down there wait on you hand and foot, great service. We also ate at the Japanese a la carte and the Seaside Grill, both of these were very good, although the Japanese took a very long time to get served and they messed our order up. The room service was great which we took advantage of a lot of the time and ate in our room or ordered late night snacks.

One of the big differences from the last time we were here was we noticed the lack of entertainment and a total change in the entertainment team, last time the team was excellent and so much going on, lots of activities etc, this time not so much, the shows were the same and quite repetitive and half the time not very full. I was told after talking to the guy who does the scuba diving that the hotel had been taken over in August with new management and there was a lot of layoffs with the staff and a whole revamp, this explained a lot of the changes. Although some faces we still recognised from our last visit.

The bars and staff are excellent here always willing to get you anything you want, we spent a lot of time at the plaza bar with some friends we had met on their honeymoon.

All in all we still love this resort even after all the changes it has taken on recently and we will definately return, i can recommend this resort to anyone, its the most relaxing place we have been too...we love Dreams !

Room Tip: Ask for a Pool View in Block 2 or 3 to be in the middle of the resort close to everything
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple

Been to Dreams Punta Cana Resort & Spa? Share your experiences!