Went to this resort from Nov 23-28th with 2 other couples. We picked this based upon travel agent recommendations, despite some mixed reviews here. The biggest factor to consider is that this resort, is on the Atlantic side. This means that the beach is not as nice, surf is rougher and the floor is rocky. One of our couples in the group when on excursion to the south side of the island (Caribbean), and they said the beach was MUCH nicer (bluer water, nicer sand, smoother, etc).
Overall, I was underimpressed with the D.R. While we were there, it was cloudy almost the entire time. It was windy, as well. Both of the weather issues are unavoidable, and happens anywhere. The drivers there are crazy! The ride from the airport took about an hour and was scary!
Went on one excursion (the buggy ride offered through the resort). It was essentially a glorified way for them to pimp their goods. Minimal off road driving. stops are designed to get you to their people's shops, where they all sell you the same mass produced stuff. I would have liked it more if the people actually were making a craft, or doing the artwork - I would have bought some more stuff then.
Rooms - got 2 double beds when we asked for a king. were moved the next day with marginal hassle. both rooms had water/mold issues. showers were warm. minibar stocked intermittently, if at all. TV and safe didn't work in 2nd room we had. beds were comfortable. one of our couples was grossed out by the sheets and "old man" smell in pillows. for as little time as we spent there it was fine.
DRinks - we did preferred club which offered some more liquors which other bars had. I liked preferred club but most others didn't think it was definitely worth it. they only have presidente beer unless you are in preferred club then they have coors light. they had crown and CC, but ran out of it at the club. mixed drinks seemed good. they didnt skimp on liquor i didn't think.
food - HIbachi was fun and tasted pretty good. buffet was popular but not great. for an AI, food was actually pretty good. actually probably one of the highlights. small portions.
staff - fairly friendly. didn't knock our socks off. we initially tipped $1 on each drink/order but stopped after we realized that they didn't seem to care. they never said thanks and it didn't affect the service. language barrier was problematic often. entertainment staff were great.
casino- horribly rude. don't know how to count. completely unfriendly.
spa - nice. great massage. jacquzzi was awesome. wish you could get into jacquzzi without buying a spa service.
pool - nice. ample chairs.
beach - rocky. dirty. windy. crappy
Summary: wouldn't go back to the DR. atlantic side resorts suck. food good. drinks fair. rooms ok. staff so - so. however, it was cheap overall. probably got what we paid for.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Secluded in a lush tropical paradise, Dreams Punta Cana Resort & Spa features one of the largest free-form swimming pools in the Dominican Republic, stretching from the lobby all the way down to the pristine beach. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Expedia, Booking.com, BookIt.com, Amex, Caribbean Online Mgt Corp., Orbitz, Travelocity, Hotwire, Despegar.com, Cheap Tickets, Odigeo, TripOnline SA and Tingo so you can book your Dreams Punta Cana Resort & Spa reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Dreams Punta Cana Hotel Punta Cana
- Sunscape Beach Punta Cana
- Punta Cana Sunscape Beach
- Dreams Resort Punta Cana
- Dreams Punta Cana Resort
- Dreams Dominican Republic