“Just ok...” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Dreams Punta Cana Resort & Spa

Save Saved
You added Dreams Punta Cana Resort & Spa to your Saves list
Dreams Punta Cana Resort & Spa
4.0 of 5 Resort (All-Inclusive)   |   Playas Uvero Alto - Provincia La Altagracia, Punta Cana, Dominican Republic   |
Hotel deals
Ranked #44 of 100 Hotels in Punta Cana
Kirkland, Washington
“Just ok...”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 2, 2012

If I could I would give this Hotel 3 1/2 stars. I decided to round up to 4 strictly because of the hotel staff who are all so amazing. We never had any problems with the service, every request was handled quickly and efficiently.

My husband and I traveled to this resort over Thanksgiving weekend for a wedding. The resort put on a beautiful ceremony and a fun reception.

On to the Hotel:

Rooms: We had a room on the second floor of building two. It was clean, no mold and the AC worked really well. I was actually cold. We did however have ants in the bathroom. I noticed this 2 days before we were set to leave and just dealt with it. To be honest, I was scared to get a moldy room.

Food: After reading the reviews here I was scared of what the food was going to be like. It wasn't as bad as I was expecting. Was it great? No. But it wasn't awful. It really was just hit or miss. Our group really liked Portofino.
I'm a vegetarian and I never had a problem finding something to eat.
I enjoyed breakfast at the World Cafe quite a bit. They have fresh spinach, carrot and fruit juice! They make you fresh smoothies on demand!! Amazing! And the omelet bar was great. The fresh fruit stand was a great treat as well. There is a lovely coffee bar in the lobby that makes delicious lattes, mocha's and even frappachinno's! Plus they have soy milk for all the dairy avoiders out there like me.

Drinks: We felt the drinks were extremely watered down. But hey, you can just keep ordering them!! If you want top shelf you have to ask for it.

Beach: It's not paradise. Like everyone else has said, this resort is on the Atlantic side. It is what it is. There are plenty of beach chairs and it's pretty easy to go sit on the more comfortable chairs in the preferred club section. No one is checking your room key here. There are lots of activities you can do on the beach (Volleyball, horseshoe's, badmitton, kayaking) so that's a nice plus.

Pool: The pool is great. The best feature of this property. The only thing is that it closes way too early.

Entertainment/Nightlife- This was probably one of the reason's I just didn't love my stay here. You are very far away from everything so you are pretty much stuck on the property. There is a tiny casino, a dance club the smells like mold. The entertainment in my opinion was pretty cheesy.
There was supposed to be a Thanksgiving night football on the beach but I think it got cancelled due to the weather. Another night there was supposed to another party on the beach and hubby and I walked over there and didn't see anything..it was windy so maybe it got cancelled as well. Needless to say, I usually went to bed early. Bring DVDs.

All in all, the reviews on Trip Advisor scared me but I have to say it wasn't that bad. Would I go back? No

Room Tip: We were in Building 2 which is very close to the beach but a bit of a walk to the lobby and the Worl...
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled with friends

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (1,334)
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
Toronto, Canada
1 of 5 stars Reviewed December 1, 2012

On the second day of our stay my daughter came down with high fever. We were sent to the hotel "doctor" which "examined" her and decided to send us to a medical "clinic". Needless to say, the examination and ride to the medical center cost us a great deal.
The doctor at the medical clinic told us that this is a serious case, and that they need to hospitalize her and inject antibiotics into her veins. At that point we just wanted to get back home ASAP. I scheduled the next day flight for us, and in the meantime started giving her antibiotics orally. When we landed in Toronto, we went to a hospital straight from the airport and the doctor said its just viral infection and that no medication is required. The next day my daughter was up and running around the house.
There were no refunds from the hotel or travel agency (in fact we had to pay a large amount for rescheduling our flight)
A little piece of advise - give it some thought before you take your kid to a third world country. You might find him laying down in a sleazy medical center if you can find arrangements to fly back home.
As for the resort itself: The sleep quality was bad. Beds are uncomfortable and the rooms are poorly isolated from noise. The pool is really nice. The food was of poor quality, especially the buffet. The hotel is located at the shores of the Atlantic and as such the water is very wavy/rough. It is also about 1 hour drive from the airport, and the driving habits there are disastrous.

Vienna, Virginia, United States
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 1, 2012

Stayed at Dreams from Nov 16-23. Great weather. 1hr away from the airport. Terrible roads and bad drivers when it comes to safety. All of the staff were friendly and very courteous. A special thank to the ladies in Kids club; Paty, Caro, Cristina and Stephane. My kids loved to stay there for activities and movie time.The pool is 3ft deep everywhere and perfect for my 6 year old son and 9 year old daughter. The food was good, but I had to take immodium for 3 days, not sure if that was from the food/water or from drinks. Dreams Punta Cana has a nice and long beach, but there were waves almost the whole week, so the water were not very clear. The beach is located on the North of the Island, that means you have the sun the opposite way of the water. I need to watch my kids in the water and prefer to have the sun in my face. All in all we had an excellent stay.

Brooklyn, New York
2 of 5 stars Reviewed December 1, 2012

When you look at the reviews for this place you have to laugh! Someone gives it 5 stars even though they had no hot water early in the morning and the power goes off but hey that's part of the experience like camping out lol. The concierge asks her Facebook friends to write great reviews.Even when you read the reviews that are given 5 stars you still here the mention of the small problems they incurred.I have been here and this is far from a top notch hotel.

• Stayed January 2012, traveled with family
Goose Bay, Labrador, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 1, 2012

We stayed at Dreams Punta Cana from july 14th to july 28 2012 and had a great time. The grounds were amazing, very clean and well manicured. They have the biggest free form swimming pool i have ever seen, its not deep, but great for swimming and walking through. All the restaurants that we got a chance to eat at were very good, no complaints. The staff we very friendly and helpful, i have read some reviews where they have said the staff were rude but we didnt see it. The room was excellent, we got a free upgrade to swim up room, the air conditioning was ice cold, lots of hot water. I think the only thing we were disappointed in was the beach, their was a lot of seaweed, plus it was difficult to wade out any distance because it got deep quickly. I think if this resort was on isla saona it would be perfect, we did a day trip there, it was very tropical, white sand beach and the water there reminded me of negril, amazing. We would certainly return.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled as a couple
nottingham, UK
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 30, 2012

Returned from Dreams on November 27 after two wonderful weeks with my husband, daughter, son-in-law, and two young grandsons.
The resort is beautifully designed, with a long winding pool which stretches right through the property to the beach. It is very well designed because there are places where very young children can enjoy splashing about on the pool shelf, while the older ones can jump into the pool in the three-foot depth, while down towards the beach end there is a swim-up bar that will keep those adults happy who prefer to socialise and relax with a sunny cocktail in their hands.

My daughter and family were given a two-room connecting suite, while my husband and I had a deluxe double in another building, which worked very well for us all. The rooms are exquisite and the beds were huge and very comfortable. Bedding is changed every other day and is of a very high quality. Exchange of towels was a bit hit and miss ... changed, but sometimes we only had one and on other occasions we were left three. We were left no soap, but plenty of shampoo and shower gel. There is a mini-bar that is kept stocked with water, soft drinks and beers. Make sure you have plenty of water as you must use this to make your tea/coffee and to clean your teeth, as well as drinking.

One day, our in-room safe stopped working and an engineer was round to sort out the problem within 10 minutes of our reporting it.

The Food:
The food in all the restaurants was excellent. The buffet had a huge choice for breakfast, lunch and dinner and the way they displayed the salads was the best I have seen on any AI I have been on.
We were there for Thanksgiving Day and the banquet the chefs put on in the main buffet was absolutely magnificent. The huge turkeys, hams, wide range of vegetables and salads were superb, but the dessert area was a joy to behold, with amazing chocolate creations and spun sugar decorations bringing gasps from the guests.

The speciality restaurants were also very good. I was glad to see that you didn't have to pre- book any of them and we had no trouble getting tables in any of them. The best of these was the Italian called Portofino, though children are not allowed in here, and the wine here is very good indeed.

The staff, from cleaners, waiters, restaurant greeters, bar staff, were all fantastic and very welcoming.

Overall, our party agreed that this was one of the best AI we had done and would have no hesitation in recommending this resort on to any of our friends and relatives.

Canonsburg
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 30, 2012

This was our 5th trip to the D.R. and the third time to this resort. It was just as nice as it was 5 years ago when it was the Sunscape. There are so many wonderful people that helped make our trip the trip of a lifetime. Special thanks to our concierge Lygens who went above and beyond his job description to ensure this was a memorable trip. He was one of the most proessional and friendly people we have ever met. Jouberkys thank you for all your assistance and coordinating this trip with us. Rosa at the buffet always has a warm smile for us and we looked forward to her wonderful service. Our pool bartenders Blindy, Luis, and Maria were so much fun. The food at the restaurants were much better than they were the last 2 times. The resort was always clean, room was well taken care of and we couldn't have been happier.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple

Been to Dreams Punta Cana Resort & Spa? Share your experiences!