“Our First All-Inclusive” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Dreams Punta Cana

Save Saved
You added Dreams Punta Cana to your Saves list
Dreams Punta Cana
4.0 of 5 Resort (All-Inclusive)   |   Playas Uvero Alto - Provincia La Altagracia, Punta Cana, Dominican Republic   |
Hotel deals
Special Offer
Hot Hot Hot Savings!
Ranked #46 of 100 hotels in Punta Cana
Center Moriches, New York
“Our First All-Inclusive”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 19, 2012

We went to Dreams Punta Cana for the wedding of our granddaughter. Prior to this our favorite vacation was cruising - we have done more than a dozen of them. That hasn't changed, but it doesn't mean DPC isn't a fun place to be. It's hard to organize these reviews, but I'll try.

Overall Appearance - this is a beautiful resort. The plantings, the trees, the flowers, etc. seem to be meticulously taken care of. The swimming pool is probably the best one we have seen....it meanders throughout the resort and the water is always blue and clean. There are nine buildings and they are spread over a large property, with four on one side and five on the other. The pool, as I mentioned before, wanders down the middle of the property from the main building to the beach.

Rooms - there are a number of room choices for guests. We had what they called a swim out room. Supposedly, you can walk out onto the patio and right into the water. Unfortunately, that isn't always the case. For us, we had to walk over an expanse of lawn and then ease into the water from the side. Stairs in the pool were not near our room. I have a bad back so stairs were really necessary - more are needed. And here's a caution for anyone with mobility problems. The bars, restaurants, etc. are spread throughout the resort, so there is a lot of walking required. Wheelchairs and scooters are not available so some people (like me) may not be able to take advantage of all the resort offers. However, the rooms are comfortable and clean. The maid service was near perfect.

Food - there are six restaurants at DPC. Himitsu is an asian restaurant which includes three hibachi rooms where the cooking is done on the tabletop. The food was tasty but much of it was very spicy. The spring roll appetizer was wonderful. Be forwarned. Also, reservations are needed for the hibachi rooms and they are hard to come by. Portofino serves Italian food. It has a limited menu and the food was average to good. Be sure to try the rice ball appetizer and the steak. The Seaside Grill specialized in steak, but the meat was a bit disappointing. The World Cafe is the buffet restaurant and, while it had a large selection of food for all three meals, the quality was only average, except for the omelet station which my wife visited daily. I didn't try the remaining restaurants so I cannot comment on them.

Service - we have absolutely nothing to criticize about the staff. To a person they are friendly and efficient.

Spa - my wife tried the spa and reports that it was upscale with a serene atmosphere. Again, the staff was terrific.

Weddings - as reported by our granddaughter, the wedding staff was great. The actual ceremony was held on the beach (a gazebo is also available) and it was beautiful. A local judge performs the ceremony in Spanish with a translator by his side. Everything came off perfectly.

In summary, this was a great vacation. It was a good introduction to all-inclusives and will make us consider this type of vacation in the future.

Room Tip: We discovered that for some room categories, rooms on the top floors of each building tended to be l...
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled with family

5,633 people have reviewed this hotel

2026
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (1,230)
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 18, 2012

My husband and I bought the Apple Vacation 6 Golden Apple Square Deal. We were a little apprehensive when told at the airport our final destination would be Dreams Punta Cana. I had done a little research prior to our departure. Dreams Punta Cana has several negative reviews. My husband and I figured we would make the most of it. It’s a vacation regardless and we were going to have a good time.

Upon arrival, we were pleasantly surprised. The grounds are well kept and the service was excellent. The Apple representative is great. We stayed for a little over a week. The staff was friendly, prompt, and accommodating. We only had one bad service related experience. We had a server at the buffet take our drink order, drop off our drinks, and then never he never came back. It was a little irritating, but it certainly did not ruin our vacation.

Everyone made us feel welcome and appreciated. The entertainment staff is excellent. The shows and activities are very entertaining for a resort.

Food was okay. There were a few items I really enjoyed. I would not compare the food to 5 star dining in the United States, but it may be in Punta Cana. The food quality is comparable to chain restaurants in the United States. Room service is great and they deliver bottles of champagne. Food arrived hot. Drinks were excellent. Be sure to try the Coco Loco and Mama Juana.

The rooms are okay, but it didn’t matter because we didn’t spend a lot of time in the room. Housekeeping always kept our room clean and stocked. The room always had a musty smell to it. I remembered this from a previous trip to Punta Cana. Bring a large scented candle.

The spa and wellness center were the highlight of our trip. We had a moonlight couples massage. It was excellent and we really enjoyed the wellness center.

The only thing that really started to bother me was the constant solicitation. In the lobby, people are trying to sell you a time share. They reel you in with coupons. By the beach, people were constantly approaching us and trying to get us to go on excursions. They were all friendly. The constant interruptions to our conversations and relaxing were a little irritating. However, it did not ruin our vacation.

We had a great time at Dreams Punta Cana and we would be eager to return to this resort.

England
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 18, 2012

Firstly I would like to express that this is our view only others may not agree with it which is their right.
We have nothing bad to say about this location, only points thats all.
Firstly you must make sure that you understand this hotel is not in Punta Cana but a good 40 mins from there, so there is not much you can do outside the complex without travelling for some time, not that you would want to go out without any guide, we were advised to take a taxi to the local bank and back again, we would advise you to take cash or cards as the hotel exchange rate for travellers cheques is very high.
The food is great, staff are great, and grounds are lovely.
This resort is a big American and Spanish gathering area, but there are lots of space to find a quite area.
Mini Bar not filled every day but if you just ask the staff are there and only too willing to do what ever they can for you, all of them are so good.
Remember when you book it this location is not a Caribbean beach but a Atlantic one so the sea can be rough very often.
Gents need to take a long pair of trousers as some resturants require them for the evening.
Some rooms can be effected in heavy rain, but again the staff will do what ever they can to help.
out.
A small extention cable would be handy as the hair dryer has only got about 2 foot of able on it.
No need to take any towels the hotel has loads in rooms and around the pool or on the beach.
Trips out, the guys down by the beach are very good and trust worthy for these, we done a few with them and found them great guys
If we had one thing to say against any of the trips or activates it would be the shopping stops that you have to make, we understand that this for the local guys to make a living but there are so many of them you can feel pressured.
The Hotel, grounds and staff are great but the location is not that would sum it up for us.
Thanks to Every one at Dreams for making our holiday so Good.
One other point, a Bar down by the Beach which is open later than 1800 hours for a quite evening drink would be such a great idea.

Room Tip: Block 3 is a good area half way from beach to resturants
Secane, Pennsylvania
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 17, 2012

First time to the Dominican Republic with my boyfriend, so we did not know what to expect. The resort is about an hour drive from the airport,but that was not a huge deal to me. It is a family resort so there was quite a bit of kids running around. At the resort, they do not require you to wear arm bracelets like some other resorts I've been to before. The resort itself was very clean and kept up to date with the landscaping. Did not run into any unpleasant staff. Everyone was very friendly and helpful in whatever we needed. The entertainment team went above and beyond making us feel comfortable and were also willing to help out with anything we needed. One thing I was not to pleased with was the gift shops. There were only 2 open,but not much of a huge selection for souvenirs. The food was pretty good. The only restaurant that we were not too thrilled about was Portofino, which was an Italian adult-only place. The Seaside grill which was sort of like a steak house and Himitsu which was Asian were both very very good. The bars were pretty good, only most of them closed rather early, so where our room was, which was right by the ocean, we had to walk all the way up to the front lobby for open bars. The drinks were good, and they had a wide variety of all kinds, only bummer was when we ordered frozen drinks, the alcohol was poured right on top or either right on the bottom of the frozen drink, so we had to spend time stirring it all in together. Whether you were sitting on the beach or the ocean there was a staff member that came around asking if you wanted a drink, so we did not even have to move to get a drink, which I enjoyed. Over all we did not have much to complain about. It did rain every day while we were down there and the power went out once, but that was above and beyond our control, since we cannot control the weather. When it rained it was a few minute shower then would clear back up which was no problem. Weather was in the mid to upper 80s, but there was always a beautiful breeze so it was not humid or too hot which I loved! We enjoyed our stay and would go back to Punta Cana in the future.

San Angelo, Texas
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 17, 2012

One hour trip from the airport to the resort was quite an experience, but not in a bad way. The resort and grounds are beautiful. The staff was very friendly and seemed to aways be so happy we couldn't help but smile most of the time we were there. Had a problem with the safe in our room and they were there in 10 minutes to take care of it. Only ate at at the buffet and I must say the food was very bland but there are all kinds of spices and sauces to put on your food. There is an huge selection of food to choose from and the staff was amazing. The bed was very comfortable but the pillows were too fluffy. We didn't realize until the day we were leaving that we could have requested different ones. I recommend reading all the literature in your room upon arrival to familiarize yourself with all that is available. There was entertainment nightly and also a small casino. It is a family friendly resort with people of all ages. It rained every day for a short while but that is to be expected in the tropics. I would go back if given the opportunity. This was my first experience with this type of vacation and I'm sure there are more luxurious places to be found, but for the money this was a good time!

• Stayed November 2012, traveled with family
Methuen, Massachusetts
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 17, 2012

This was our first time to DR. My husband & I were very impressed with the resort, the size, the staff, the set up, cleaniness. Our room was on the 3rd floor of the 9th building which was closest to the lobby. There aren't any elevators so we had to climb 3 flights of stairs-wasn't too impressed with that. The floors are very slippery and when it rained the floors would get flooded which made it dangerous to walk and use the stairs. Our room was very pleasant and roomy. We had to request for the mini bar to be restocked. I asked for restocking and got it within a hour or two. We had our room cleaned every other day and had to request wash clothes. Didn't like the fact that there wasn't a handle to open the balcony door from the outside so we had to leave it open a little when we sat outside so we could get back in. We had to walk back down to the front desk upon arrival because our room key wouldn't work. Come to find out there is a trick to using the magnetic keys...you have to push them in hard making sure to keep it close to the left side of the slot so that the magnetic strip gets read.
We found the food better than expected, we espeically like the Oceana and the Seaside grill. The service varied at the Seaside Grill depending on the waiter you had but all in all the service was good. We ate at the buffet for breakfast & lunch everyday and have to give a huge shout out to Riccardo and Captain Edison. They we very friendly and gave us exceptional service. Edison not only worked the buffet during the day but worked the Seaside Grill at night.
The pool was amazing, loved how it meandered through out the resort. Blindy & Maria at the middle pool were great as well, very friendly, fun, and both had great personalities. The canopies at pool side were very comfortible as well. Even though it is a family resort I don't think that children should be allowed at the swim up bar area. Although we did not travel with children there is alot of activities for kids to do and from what I could see the staff kept the kids very busy.
Cristian Gill at the Amstar excursion booth (middle pool) was extremely helpful, he went over all the excursions in detail and helped us to pick which ones to do. We did the Zipline adventure (12 zips) my husband and I were disappointed in this excursion: they really rush you along on the zips, the crew is basically there to do a job, they didn't have fun with you our themselves. I didn't like the fact that at one point there were 3 people on the zip line at once. I must say the views were beautiful though. We also did the Reef Explorer which was the highlight of the trip. The crew on that excursion were very good.The massage on the floating island was very nice. Downfall is that all the excursions that we did were at least 1 hour away.
The day we were leaving we booked reflexology massages and they were exceptional, I would recommend the spa even though it's a little pricey.
The staff at this resort work very hard, they put in 16-18 hours a day for 4-5 days in a row and a lot of them live 3 hrs away so they are away from their familes. Everyone of them had a smile on their face and we didn't meet one rude person. It was nice to see happy faces everyday.
I would like to give a shout out to George from Unlimited Vacations. Yes I know they grab you right away to go listen to the 90 minute speal on their sister resorts but they are just doing their job. We have gone on many vacations and have been totally hounded the whole time because we didn't sign up to do the tour. George however talked with us once and we were never bothered again. He was very understanding and still helpful even though he wasn't going to be getting a commision from us.
I will say that the local vendors that set up stands on the resort are very pushy and aggresive. I usually love to look at all the local art and what not but they were so aggressive and pushy that I didn't even bother. Found the shops in the resort very expensive and not much to choose from.
We found our over all vacation very nice, relaxing, and we would recommend this resort to our friends. We will be back to the DR but will stay in another area, somewhere closer to the Carribean sea and closer to shopping and excursions.

Room Tip: no elevators but hear that the gound floor is musty/moldy smelling. The 2nd & 3rd floor tend to...
Medicine Hat, Canada
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 15, 2012

Lobby - beautiful ...Rooms - average....Bartenders - great....Excusions....too far away. .....and of coarse - too many kids hanging out at the bar areas. Its a nice place to go if you've never been to the Carribean, but not as tourist friendly as Mexico.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple

Been to Dreams Punta Cana? Share your experiences!