My boyfriend and I stayed at the Bahia Principe from March 5th thru the 12th and thoroughly enjoyed our stay.
We have both traveled to other all-inclusives in Mexico, Jamaica, Costa Rica and St. Thomas, so we have a basis for comparison.
Yes, this is a huge resort but they do a great job keeping up the grounds and the rooms, and we did not encounter any bad service in any way. As a matter of fact, the two times we called for an iron, they had it in our room in a matter of minutes. And upon check out when we called for a bellboy he was there in about 2 minutes flat.
They greeted us at check-in with a cocktail. Check in was very quick and easy and they escorted us to our room with no problems. And the service we got for our excursion was outstanding... MORE about that best part of our trip later....
It was hot and sunny for the whole trip, with NO rain. White puffy clouds would cover the sun occasionally but keep right on moving. The only inconvenience I found, especially on the sand, is that there were some very windy days. At night it did tend to cool down a little bit.
We booked our restaurant reservations at Guest Services the night we arrived. We tried the Japanese, which was very good and a different experience for us both. If you've never gone to a Japanese restaurant I'd recommend it. We also tried the French and the Garden Grill. We enjoyed the meals at every one. The indoor main buffet was also full of variey with several choices (each night had a different theme), as well as the outdoor restaurants by the pool/beach that we ate at for lunch. We never got sick at all during the trip, and I feel sorry for those who mentioned they got sick... but do not get all paranoid like I did before we left... the food is fine. Just be careful as you would at home... don't be eating condiments like mayo that might be left out for a while!
The beach is very crowded but we were always able to get a chair. The sand is white and soft and beautiful and the water is that wonderful color you picture when you think of the carribean. One day they had a band playing on the beach and people dancing. We took a long walk down the beach to the open air market to buy t-shirts and other stuff. We spent most of our days on the beach.
One main pool by the beach with a swim-up bar, and other pools in the middle of the resort which are low key. We are not pool people but did get a kick out of some of the entertainment that they involved the guests in, which is almost all day long... The water was just a little too cool for me to go in but others probably find it refreshing!
They have a very small fitness facility in the Spa building at the front of the resort. We are gym people so we were a little disappointed in the size of the gym, in comparison to the huge resort. There were some stationary bikes, one elliptical, a treadmill and some free weights.
We had a couples massage, $60 each and it was one of the better massages I've gotten. Men beware, the women doing the massage don't miss a spot if you know what I mean. We thought it was pretty humorous. After the massage they take you to a little bar for some juice. Very nice facility.
We took the bikes out one morning and rode around the resort. Another day we took out the hobiecat on the water. Very fun but don't stray too far down the beach like we did, I don't think they were happy with us! They also have banana boats were they pull you around and kayaks. Lots to do there, you will not be bored.
We had the best deal there imaginable. The week we were there they offered a two day, one night excursion off the resort to Isla Saona, Santo Domingo, and Altos de Chavon. It was wonderful and went off with no hitches. The best part was they PAID everyone on the excursion $200 US for going. It had to do with their overbooking and trying to free up rooms. We only had to leave our original room while we were gone and get a new room upon our arrival the next day. Everything was taken care of for us without a worry.
The morning of our trip we got on the bus and took an interesting ride to the town of Bayahibe where we parked and got on a power boat to Sanoa Island. It was the most unbelievable spot. A Gorgeous paradise. They had a bar set up and lunch for us. Three great hours were spent there soaking up the sun. We took a catamaran boat back and it was real fun with drinks and music, dancing. We then traveled to the capital city Santo Domingo where we arrived to a Barcelo hotel. Dinner there was included in the trip. It was late so we went to bed and then got up to a breakfast which was also included. They took us to tour the beautiful and historical city. It was a real experience. We were able to split up from the group and look around ourselves. Just look out for the shoe-shine boys who literally drop shoe-shine stuff on your shoes to get you to say yes! After the city we proceeded on the bus about an hour to Alto de Chavon. It is a replica of an old Italian Village and just breathtaking there. You have to see it to believe it. After that we went back to the Bahia where they greeted us coming off the bus with a new room key and our luggage waiting for us in our new room.
So, if you do go and they offer this, do not hesitate! They pay you to do all these things that you may want to do anyway and it is well worth it!
All in all it was a great trip. The Bahia may not be the thing for you if you like more intimate resorts or no kids, but I firmly believe that if you are away on vacation away from work and the cold, how can anything be that bad??
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Facilities and services 2 lake-style pools Large sun terrace New relaxation zone with Bali beds, sun umbrellas and loungers Pool and beach towels BAHIA SPA (additional charge) Sports facilities: gym, 3 tennis courts (floodlit for an additional charge), multi-sports court Water activity centre WiFi access in the lobby (1h per day free of charge) and in rooms (additional charge) Entertainment theatre Wedding gazebo 1 buffet restaurant and 17 speciality restaurants Japanese restaurant 10 bars 3 Snack Bars Cocktail Lounge Punta Blanca Golf Club: 18 hole Golf Punta Blanca Golf Club designed by Nick Price (additional charge) Pueblo Principe: Shopping and Leisure Mall with local craft stores, live music, shows, stores, bars, karaoke, disco and casino Rooms 816 rooms including two types: Superior Junior Suite and Club Hacienda Junior Suite Room facilities: King size bed or two full size beds Fully-equipped bathroom with hydromassage bath tub, hair dryer and magnifying mirror Sitting area with sofa Air conditioning Ceiling fan Telephone Alarm clock Satellite TV Minibar Coffee-making facilities Safe (additional charge) Ironing set Wifi (additional charge) Club Hacienda Junior Suite (See page 18 Club Golden, Club Hacienda) Children Bahia Scouts The hotel is perfect for families, offering a range of facilities tailored especially for children, including the following: Mini Club for children aged 4 to 12 Evening Mini Disco Babysitting service (additional charge) Bahia Scouts Water Park Fun Area and Adventure Park (additional charge) Teens' Club (11-16 years) Other services 24 hour medical service (additional charge) Pharmacy (additional charge) Bus stop opposite the hotel Meeting and convention room Personalised menus (for celiacs, diabetics, etc.) Available on request and subject to circumstances Specialised service for organising weddings, incentive trips, events and anniversaries ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Travelocity, Expedia, Booking.com, Priceline, Caribbean Online Mgt Corp., Odigeo and Hotels.com so you can book your Grand Bahia Principe Bavaro reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Gran Bahia Punta Cana
- Grand Bahia Principe Punta Cana
- Bahia Principe Dominican Republic
- Gran Bahia Principe Bavaro Resort
- Punta Cana Bahia Principe
- Gran Bahia Principe Bavaro Punta Cana
- Principe Punta Cana
- Bahia Punta Cana
- Bahia Resort Principe
- Gran Bahia Principe Dominican Republic