“Best Excursion Deal Ever at the Bahia” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Grand Bahia Principe Bavaro

You added Grand Bahia Principe Bavaro to your Saves list
Grand Bahia Principe Bavaro
4.0 of 5 Resort (All-Inclusive)   |   Arena Gorda - Macao, Seccion Baigua | Arena Gorda - Macao, Seccion Baigua, Punta Cana, Dominican Republic   |
Hotel virtual tour
Special Offer
Special Summer Sales
Ranked #49 of 99 Hotels in Punta Cana
rochester, ny
“Best Excursion Deal Ever at the Bahia”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 28, 2006

My boyfriend and I stayed at the Bahia Principe from March 5th thru the 12th and thoroughly enjoyed our stay.
We have both traveled to other all-inclusives in Mexico, Jamaica, Costa Rica and St. Thomas, so we have a basis for comparison.

Yes, this is a huge resort but they do a great job keeping up the grounds and the rooms, and we did not encounter any bad service in any way. As a matter of fact, the two times we called for an iron, they had it in our room in a matter of minutes. And upon check out when we called for a bellboy he was there in about 2 minutes flat.

They greeted us at check-in with a cocktail. Check in was very quick and easy and they escorted us to our room with no problems. And the service we got for our excursion was outstanding... MORE about that best part of our trip later....

WEATHER
It was hot and sunny for the whole trip, with NO rain. White puffy clouds would cover the sun occasionally but keep right on moving. The only inconvenience I found, especially on the sand, is that there were some very windy days. At night it did tend to cool down a little bit.

FOOD
We booked our restaurant reservations at Guest Services the night we arrived. We tried the Japanese, which was very good and a different experience for us both. If you've never gone to a Japanese restaurant I'd recommend it. We also tried the French and the Garden Grill. We enjoyed the meals at every one. The indoor main buffet was also full of variey with several choices (each night had a different theme), as well as the outdoor restaurants by the pool/beach that we ate at for lunch. We never got sick at all during the trip, and I feel sorry for those who mentioned they got sick... but do not get all paranoid like I did before we left... the food is fine. Just be careful as you would at home... don't be eating condiments like mayo that might be left out for a while!

BEACH
The beach is very crowded but we were always able to get a chair. The sand is white and soft and beautiful and the water is that wonderful color you picture when you think of the carribean. One day they had a band playing on the beach and people dancing. We took a long walk down the beach to the open air market to buy t-shirts and other stuff. We spent most of our days on the beach.

POOL
One main pool by the beach with a swim-up bar, and other pools in the middle of the resort which are low key. We are not pool people but did get a kick out of some of the entertainment that they involved the guests in, which is almost all day long... The water was just a little too cool for me to go in but others probably find it refreshing!

GYM
They have a very small fitness facility in the Spa building at the front of the resort. We are gym people so we were a little disappointed in the size of the gym, in comparison to the huge resort. There were some stationary bikes, one elliptical, a treadmill and some free weights.

SPA
We had a couples massage, $60 each and it was one of the better massages I've gotten. Men beware, the women doing the massage don't miss a spot if you know what I mean. We thought it was pretty humorous. After the massage they take you to a little bar for some juice. Very nice facility.

ACTIVITES
We took the bikes out one morning and rode around the resort. Another day we took out the hobiecat on the water. Very fun but don't stray too far down the beach like we did, I don't think they were happy with us! They also have banana boats were they pull you around and kayaks. Lots to do there, you will not be bored.

EXCURSIONS
We had the best deal there imaginable. The week we were there they offered a two day, one night excursion off the resort to Isla Saona, Santo Domingo, and Altos de Chavon. It was wonderful and went off with no hitches. The best part was they PAID everyone on the excursion $200 US for going. It had to do with their overbooking and trying to free up rooms. We only had to leave our original room while we were gone and get a new room upon our arrival the next day. Everything was taken care of for us without a worry.
The morning of our trip we got on the bus and took an interesting ride to the town of Bayahibe where we parked and got on a power boat to Sanoa Island. It was the most unbelievable spot. A Gorgeous paradise. They had a bar set up and lunch for us. Three great hours were spent there soaking up the sun. We took a catamaran boat back and it was real fun with drinks and music, dancing. We then traveled to the capital city Santo Domingo where we arrived to a Barcelo hotel. Dinner there was included in the trip. It was late so we went to bed and then got up to a breakfast which was also included. They took us to tour the beautiful and historical city. It was a real experience. We were able to split up from the group and look around ourselves. Just look out for the shoe-shine boys who literally drop shoe-shine stuff on your shoes to get you to say yes! After the city we proceeded on the bus about an hour to Alto de Chavon. It is a replica of an old Italian Village and just breathtaking there. You have to see it to believe it. After that we went back to the Bahia where they greeted us coming off the bus with a new room key and our luggage waiting for us in our new room.
So, if you do go and they offer this, do not hesitate! They pay you to do all these things that you may want to do anyway and it is well worth it!

All in all it was a great trip. The Bahia may not be the thing for you if you like more intimate resorts or no kids, but I firmly believe that if you are away on vacation away from work and the cold, how can anything be that bad??

Enjoy!

• Stayed March 2006

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (934)
  • Polish first
2 of 5 stars Reviewed March 28, 2006

We visited the resort Mar.14 thru Mar.19. We traveled with children ages 16,15,11 and 9. The resort itself is beautiful, along with the beach, but that's where it stops.
I tried to make dinner reservations the day I arrived. only to find out all the restaurants we wanted to go to were booked. I could only get late resevations, 9;30-10;00 if I could get them at all.
Only the Mexican and Japanes were available at a decent time 8-8;30. I found the sevice to be terrible at all the restaurnts, and the help unfriendly.
The breakfast buffet was terrible unless you go up to main buffet by lobby.
The food was barely okay in the restaurnts, but edible and nobody got sick. We found out you could go to restaurnts earlier than resevation and they accomdated us, because restaurants only half booked.
Entertainment was poor and nothing for kids. Entertainment was for adults by the beach and pool.
A little girl the age of 6 walked out of the kids club without being noticed. Don't leave your children there, attendants are irresponsible. Keyboard player at the bavaro lobby was enjoyable.
Have to reserve chairs before 8 if you want a shade hut, there are not enough to accomdate guests. Kayaks were booked full 2-3 days ahead, again not enough to accomdate 2 resorts ,Punta Cana and Bavaro. Make sure you don't mind topless bathing because there is a lot of that.
I was part of the GOLDEN CLUB, NOT sure of what the extra amenities were other than having a room close to beach. I was suppose to be entitled to 1 extra a la carte dinner but they wouln't give it to me since I was staying 6 nights and not 7.

Vancouver Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 27, 2006

It's just typical that the negative reviews are from American visitors. I have travelled to the Myan riviera multiple times and stayed at 5 star resorts and in Cancun, and guess what. I can honestly say that this resort was deffinetly equal if not better. First of all when are people going to realize that you do not travel to a 3rd world country to see great entertaiment.You go to LAS VEGAS to see entertaiment. You go to Punta Cana to relax in the sun on a beuatiful beach. By the way this resort had a great evening relaxing appeal. OK the shows at the lounge were not worth seeing, but having a late dinner then relaxing in a most spectacular lobby lounge then at 11:00 pm wandering over to the oputside square, were there was a stage with some dancers as backround entertaiment enjoying a drink and then going to the Disco was all actually surprising considering that at most carribean Islands there is absolutely nothing to do. Yes this resort was Canadian and European based so hopfully the Americans will stay away or just stay at the Buffets or around the pool, because to be quite honest that is the only place i really seen Americans.
If your looking for action go to Cancun or Waikiki. If your looking for a beuatiful resort, pretty decent food considering the amount of people that they are serving, top notch beach and great weather this place hits the spot. People who complain about this resort will find a reason to complain at any resort. They abviously unapreciate that the local people are very poor and get paid very little for there service. If any could afford and went to this resort for 7 days and did not spend at least a MINIMUM of $ 100.00 US on tipping you should be ashamed and i hope you had bad service. I tipped the girl that cleaned my room, the baggage boy, the guy who made me coffee in the buffet, the bar tender, my wife gave the girl at the entrance to the buffet a pair of earings that she was wearing because the girl liked them i even tipped one of the guys that i bargened with after i bought something in the square. You no what if you give before you get people will respect that and also you have to want to give from inside. People go on holidays and spend a a couple of thousand dollars including air fare and expect to be treated like Donald Trump. Wake up or just stay home.

Stayed March 2006
Hamilton, ON
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 27, 2006

Went to the GBP Punta Cana for my Honeymoon, Mar. 8-15. Really did my homework before booking this hotel, and it payed off. [i am a fairly experienced traveller, this is my 5th all-inclusive vacation.]

The GOOD:
1. huge buffet, incredible selection.
2. great a la cartes. i recommend the garden grille (great tenderloin) and the gourmet (surf and tuf). from what i'm told the Japanese is also great. wife wouln't let me try that one!
3. beach. amazing. best i've ever been on. lots of palapas and loungers.

The BAD:
1. resort is huge. this has it's drawbacks, not walkable, you must use the tram.
2. service can be spotty. tipping helps.
3. italian restaurant is so-so.

The quality of everything is 5 star: the rooms, the beach, the food (especially for the Dominican). But, if you like a smaller type resort, where your room is close to the beach, this place is not for you. It offers luxury, but you really need to take the time to acquaint yourself (ie go to your "orientation" and book a la cartes early).

Our only other complaint can't be really attributed to the resort, but more to the destination. Punta Cana: 1. offers nothing to do off your resort, and 2. caters to spanish/french canadians. English seems the 3rd language here.

We spoke to a few other travellers who come to the Dominican yearly and were told that right now, only the Secrets Punta Cana is better than GBP Punta Cana. (It is couples only, and more $$$.)

All in all, a great trip, and we would go back.

5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 27, 2006

Me and 5 others went and It was an amaging trip. It was the farthest place I've went sofar. I loved the pools with the swim up bars and the Steaks down there are the best I've ever had. Go visit this resort.

p.s, Don't ever go to the Mexacian Resturaunt there! (Food Poisioning)

4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 27, 2006

First of all, for all those people thinking of going to the Bahia--GO!!!

Yes, the resort is big (it has 1500 rooms) so know that before you go. And if you still choose to go, then don't complain about the size when you return! From lobby to beach is maybe a 7-8 minute walk and if you don't want to walk-then take the tram! I am sure the exercise won't hurt anyone.

Rooms are large and well kept. The housekeeping staff did a great job! (whether you tipped or not-but it never hurts)

The bathrooms are large and the marble is very nice. They come complete with a a jetted tub- don't be confused by the word jacuzzi- as you may form an image that won't be accurate!

The pools are large and have tons of chairs. Yes, some people are up early to reserve beds (tell me where this doesn't happen), however they can always be found. Same can be said on the beach- with a little searching. We were there during the March Break, which is extremely busy and never had a problem. Certain pools have limited access- the Premier section is solely for people booked in this area (adults only and very far away from the beach) and the Hacienda Section (Club Diamond)are only for those folks. This will be a drawback-only if you want it to be. Again know this before you book. There is another pool directly beside the Club Diamond pool in the middle of the resort that is not busy at all. Most people frequent the pool closest to the beach- it is divided into three sections. The one closest to the swim-up bar is always a bit more crowded (to be expected)

Food choices were always plentiful- we ate at the japanese, La Gourmet and the italian A la Cartes--all very good! Buffets are themed, so check this before making a la carte reservations in case you have a particular preference. We ate at the Buffet on the Gala night, Mexican, Italian and again very good. Main buffets are beautiful inside- nicely air conditioned, marble floors etc... Lunches were mainly by the pool or at the beach side buffets. Again lots of choice, and if you are worried about sickness then use your head- mayo may not be a solid choice if it is out in the sun! (This is the case anywhere) Pizza, burgers, fries all very friendly choices!!Plenty of fresh fruit always being chopped as well as other daily options.

Nightly Entertainment was not great, but you can be the judge! Casino and Disco add to yur options! Lobby bar was a great place to be in the evening!Good drinks,atmosphere.

The beach was great- long walks, white sand and clear water, not sure what else to say!

Have a great trip- watch out for flying trays and
Say hi to Bob Johnson, if you see him!!!

3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 27, 2006

My wife and I just arrived back early Sunday morning from our trip to the Bahia for one week. We both travel often staying at some of the best Hotels and resorts around the world. I am compelled to get these informations out which have been overlooked.

1)Yes the Resort is Gorgeous, Breath-taking and all that but the most important dynamics are missing.
INTIMACY. For singles....its not the place, mainly couples and families, Couples to meet couples.....Very Difficult because Resort is just TOO Big..You might run into each other by accident. Normally we meet 15 couples we met 3. High Traffic on the Beach, Lots of People. Get up Early to Get a Chair.

2) BIG RUSTY Broken Down Ship oil barge in the water 1000 feet out in front of the beach area...Not the Viking Ship kind either...forget those romantic sunsets on the beach.

3) THE Absolute Worst Entertainment -The Lone Guitarist in the bar area of the Lobby was the only person to make mention after your dining experience you might as well walk back to your room. Bring a chess set. Shameful considering the amount of monies they spend on manicured gardens........ There is nothing to do other than walk through an old styled western make-shift town on the resort to buy trinkets of nothings PS Watch out for the wagon Vendors in front of the stores.... they are VERY agressive and should really relocate to the Beach..the shops offer the same goods cheaper anyways.

4) Both my wife and I along with 2 other couples from the Japanese Restaurant came down with Food Poisoning. We believe it was the Sushi...Please be very Guarded from this restaurant.

5)MOSQUITOES- Deet Sprays do not help or protect you.
The Resort uses Pesticides outside..If you can believe it but fails to provide protection inside your Suite...When the cleaning ladies clean they leave the doors open. MY WIFE WAS BITTEN 15 TIMES, I rarely get bitten but had them zooming around my head during the night with their eminant sound. BRING A MOSQUITO STRIP IF THERE IS SUCH A THING.

6)Do not leave your tip on the Table. Others whom did not serve you will sweep it up fast.

7)They give you a little Booklet upon arrival.
Turn to the page where it reads CHECK OUT POLICY.
They make it appear that if you would like to extend the check out time which is at 12:00 Noon You can just pay $10.per hour THIS IS NOT THE CASE.
ON THE DAY OF YOUR DEPARTURE, You turn back to the pumpkin that never was and they barely know your name.

• Stayed March 2006

Been to Grand Bahia Principe Bavaro? Share your experiences!