“Would Recommend” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Grand Bahia Principe Bavaro

You added Grand Bahia Principe Bavaro to your Saves list
Grand Bahia Principe Bavaro
4.0 of 5 Resort (All-Inclusive)   |   Arena Gorda - Macao Seccion Baigua, Punta Cana, Dominican Republic   |
Hotel virtual tour
Special Offer
Special Summer Sales
Ranked #50 of 99 Hotels in Punta Cana
surrey
“Would Recommend”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed yesterday NEW

We have just come back from a weeks stay here for a friends 50th Birthday. This was the first time any of us had visited Dominican before. It is huge loads of pools the beach is lovely and the staff are all very friendly and and attentive. The rooms are lovely big and clean although the room changing is a bit erratic at times, but was always left very clean. The food was amazing there was so much choice that even the fussiest person could happily find something to eat, there was always so much to choose from, our biggest problem was deciding on what to have. There is a bus/train that runs from one end of the complex to the other and are very frequent. I would defintately recommend staying here, we are definately going back again and this time taking our daughter who would love it

• Stayed May 2015, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (942)
  • Hungarian first
  • Polish first
4 of 5 stars Reviewed 2 days ago NEW

Just returned from a 2 week stay here and overall we were pleased but with a few small niggles. The resort is huge and a little intimidating when you first arrive, my husband got lost quite a few times in the first few days but we eventually got the hang of it. The little shuttles also run very frequently around the resort so no need to walk miles if you don't want to.

Rooms - We upgraded to Hacienda club, suppose it was worth it as the rooms were closer to the beach (although the room lay out is exactly the same as a standard room) and we got the santa fe restaurant for breakfast/lunch. Rooms were nice and always cleaned well but when we first arrived we had no bedding for my sons sofa bed, this was eventually bought down to us at the end of day 2 despite us asking for it 5 times!

Beach- Lovely, quite a bit of seaweed but nice all the same.

Food - Amazing, two weeks of all inclusive food/drink did nothing for my waistline and we never really had a bad meal. We prebooked the a la carte restaurants by email 2 weeks before we went and had no problems at all with reservations. Alcohol choice is very good too.

Staff - All very friendly and polite. Cant really comment on our tour rep (Thomas Cook) as we saw him for the welcome meeting and then didnt see him again until departure day!

Entertainment - We thought evening shows were ok but got a little repetative by week 2. Day time entertainment not up to much. Went to the sports bar a few times but got put off by the loud American groups that seemed to frequent it.

Trips - We took two amazing trips, one to Saona Island which is a wonderful day, even for children and one on the Mega Truck. Do both, you wont be disappointed.

Children - Lots of things for the little ones (water park, play area, golf) but my son is very shy and didnt like socialising with others much, this made things quite difficult at times. Tried to book tennis court but they wouldn't allow us as I hadn't packed tennis shoes. They also advertise that they offer bikes for rent but they don't have any there and offered no explanation as to why they were still being advertised.

Weather - Hot hot hot! Good air con in the rooms. Was a little cloudy some days but always warm. We had just one evening of rain but it was extremely heavy rain. One thing to be aware of...lots of mossies! I normally don't have a problem but got loads of bites despite covering myself in insect repellent day and night.

Other stuff - Lots of different nationalities at this resort which I love as I always find it interesting to meet new people. Lots of couples (lovely weddings taking place almost daily), and lots of families. Unfortunately, during our stay there was also quite a few same sex groups (mainly American) who got pretty loud and drunk around the pool, not ideal if your holidaying with small children.

• Stayed May 2015, traveled with family
Viancagraciano, customer service at Grand Bahia Principe Bavaro, responded to this review, yesterday
Dear Guest,

We thank you for taking the time of sharing your opinion with us which we will take in the highest consideration.

Thank you for acknowledging the friendly staff, lovely beach and amazing food.

Your comments are very important for us and help us to make some improvements.

Looking forward to welcoming you once again!

Kind regards,

Kemptville, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed 3 days ago NEW

Well I always like bad news first and the good news then cheers me up. The bad news is we had to leave. That’s really it. We had trouble with our room keys, so make sure you have the bell boy check both room keys in the door and the safe before you’re left. When we arrived the bellboy had the maid open the door and we didn’t do the safe setup so to get everything working we had to make 3 very long treks back to the main desk till everything worked.
Now if you’re considering the Grand Bahia Principe in the Dominican-I completely recommend it.
I travelled with my 8 year old daughter alone and we felt completely safe and happy.
When you look on-line it’s a little confusing by the different names. Within the gate and fences of the Grand Bahia Principe are what I would call 5 sections – Ambar(adults only), then the Esmeralda, Bavaro, Punta Cana and Turquesa. These are all family sections of various placement and price points. We were at the Bavaro which was perfect for us. It’s situated in the middle of the resort complex, so while they have a fabulous trolley service that runs from 0600-0300 everyday-we could also walk either direction for the beach or the main lobby shows or restaurant if we chose.
Firstly I must thank trip advisors SusanR, NMack29, JennJenn00, MickyS and especially Rhona F who were fabulous in assisting in my research. You were all so friendly and eager to help and I’m very grateful. RhondaF was able to connect me with a guest services e-mail so that from home I was able to reserve 2 a la carte dining experiences before arrival so that I had a fabulous Mother’s Day dinner with my daughter at the Japanese restaurant. The guest services employee that I was fortunate enough to connect with is Grelin and he is outstanding. Through e-mail he reserved 2 special meals and even came looking for me on check in. He whisked my daughter and I away to his desk where he set us up for more special dinners and when I advised him of my shellfish allergy-ya I know why would I go to a Japanese restaurant with a shellfish allergy-he wrote a letter in Spanish for me to present at all the a la carte restaurants so as to ensure my eating safety. I felt so welcomed and reassured. Grelin is fabulous and professional. Big thanks to him!
Another staff member of note is Confessora-one of the hostesses at the main buffet. On our first night the application of hand sanitizer caused pain to my daughter’s scratched hands and caused her to cry, so Confessor whisked us off to the ladies room hugging my daughter the whole time she washed her hands – and each time we appeared at the buffet door-she would greet my daughter with the greatest smile and hugs. She has a very caring heart and is an excellent representative for the resort.
There are many reports to read of similar reviews of the shows-which are very well done. We saw the Michael Jackson, Burlesque and Acrobatic shows; and my daughter was picked from the pool the day of the Lion King show to appear as one of the Zebras-a once in a lifetime event we’ll never forget.
You will also read varying reviews of the food on site. Personally I would note that people when reviewing anything different from their own routine need to me mindful that they are travelling. If you’re going to complain-stay home otherwise open your hearts and minds and experiment. The buffets are huge, so you can’t go hungry-if there’s something you’re not fond of there are so many other choices. The Garden Grill had the best steak I’ve had in a really long time-cooked perfectly the way I requested. The Italian restaurant is elegant and delicious. The beach bar b que has so many meat choices-it’s not hot dogs and hamburgers, you must go. The Japanese restaurant was so delicious and if you have a show table just the best, and again with my shellfish allergy the chef didn’t even put the shrimp on the grill until he had served the rice, vegetables, chicken and beef to everyone.
We never had any food reactions, so even the fruits and vegetables are prepared with safe water.
The beach is dreamy, the pools beautiful, the water park a perfect mix of fun for kids and down time for parents as there’s no smoking but there is a bar-ha.
We had no bug issues either in our room or outside-never used the bug spray.
The beds are comfy-we always slept well, although played out each day we would-ha.
Would I go again? YES we two girls will be taking hubby/daddy back for a winter vacation

Room Tip: 3 story hotel-we were on the 2nd floor-for safety-all was quiet
  • Stayed May 2015, traveled with family
Dear Cynthia,

Please allow us to reassure that we are extremely proud to know that you had an amazing mother’s day at our Grand Bahia Principe Bavaro. A post such as yours reflects the commitment and quality of service we have exhibited through the years.

We are very pleased to read that you enjoyed your holidays thanks to the wonderful service you received from Greilin and Confesora.

You are welcome to contact us for a next visit to any of our hotels.

Regards from Punta Cana!

Trois-Rivieres, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed 4 days ago NEW

We have really good time out there, the food is excellent, the service is outstanding, and the room we're pretty awesome. I will go back in my life for sure. If you go to this hotel, go to see my friends Miguel at the Lobby bar, he is always smiling and enjoying is job. He will make you the best drink of your trip! You won't be desappointed about the resort, there's place to do party, to watch show late at night, for kids, and other for you! Have a good one and try it!!!
I'm Simon and hope to see you, Miguel in my next trip to you're hotel!

• Stayed May 2015, traveled as a couple
Viancagraciano, customer service at Grand Bahia Principe Bavaro, responded to this review, 3 days ago
Dear Simon,

Our goal is to make our guests' stay become a memorable experience. We are extremely delighted to learn that we have reached our goal with you here.

Our staff will be very happy to learn that they were able to contribute in creating an amazing holiday for you and you would recommend us to everybody.

We already look forward to welcoming you next year at our All-inclusive Hotels in the Dominican Republic with Bahia Principe Hotels & Resorts!!!

New York City, New York
5 of 5 stars Reviewed 6 days ago NEW

I would recommend this resort to anyone - there was a great balance of activities as well as relaxation. The rooms and grounds were exceptionally clean and the staff was amazing so needless to say we had a great first visit to the DR. Any help with check-in, reservations, excursions, transportation to and from the airport is a breeze and we never got bored. The disco and karaoke bars are a BLAST and we highly recommend staying on the resort to take in all beach, pool & hotel activities (beach olympics, dance lessons, disco, karaoke, pool bar, etc.)

• Stayed May 2015, traveled with friends
Viancagraciano, Gerente at Grand Bahia Principe Bavaro, responded to this review, 5 days ago
Dear Brittany,

We appreciate your valuable time to share your comments and experience with us. It is a pleasure to read that you experienced an enjoyable stay in our wonderful Grand Bahia Principe Bavaro, especially because of our amazing staff.

We are pleased to read that you had a great time and you would highly recommend our hotel to anyone.

London, United Kingdom
2 of 5 stars Reviewed 6 days ago NEW

My boyfriend and I have just arrived back from a 10 day holiday at this resort,I don't normally write reviews but felt compelled to do so as this hotel is far from being 5*!
I am in agreement with the gentleman's review below, from the website and price you are completely mislead as to what to expect. The only thing worthy of the 5* rating is the location, otherwise everything else is 2-3* at best, apart from the customer service received from the staff- that doesn't even deserve the one star.
At the risk of going on, I think it best that I list the continual problems that we had with this resort.

1. On arrival we were just handed our door keys, with no introduction, no map provided, and the desk staff had no idea who our rep was
2. The bathroom ceiling was leaking so badly that it could be heard over the air-con in the bedroom and making the wooden panel buckle under the weight of the water We contacted reception the following morning (8:30am) who advised that someone will go into the room to fix it, if they were unable to then we would be moved to another room, We went to the beach for the day, when we returned at 6:30pm, not only had it not been rectified no one had actually been into the room to look at it. We took a bus ride down to reception (yep that's how big the resort is) reception had no record of us reporting this. After 40mins of the staff shrugging at us/saying there was nothing they could do/serving only Spanish speaking guests before us, the 'manager. agreed to move us.
3. Day 3 into our holiday and day 1 in our new room....the bedroom ceiling was leaking!
4. We made a number of restaurant reservations as you are encouraged to do so. One night there was a power-cut so we were moved to the pool bar. Second occasion the kitchen was on fire so we were all bundled into the buffet bar from dinner!
5.Your room keys WILL NOT WORK for more than 24hrs, four (bus) trips to reception to get them reset in as many days is just really irritating.

To conclude, I travel a lot for work and pleasure and have never experienced such abysmal customer service, which ultimately ruined what should have been a holiday of a lifetime and tarnished our experience of the Dominican Republic
I would strongly advise people not to stay here and give a rating of 2 stars, this was saved by the location and a handful of staff at breakfast.

Room Tip: Don't be fooled - this is not a 5* resort
  • Stayed May 2015, traveled as a couple
Viancagraciano, customer service at Grand Bahia Principe Bavaro, responded to this review, 4 days ago
Dear guest,

We are seriously committed to the achievement of our guests' satisfaction. Your opinion is one of our top priorities and all feedback from our guests is valued. We deeply regret the inconveniences and we are sorry for not being able to fulfill your expectations. It does sadden us to hear that the image you may have had of us has now been tarnished.

Thank you for taking the time to let us know about your experience.

Always at your disposal,

New York City, New York
4 of 5 stars Reviewed 6 days ago NEW

Well maintained and comfortable all-inclusive resort, offering excellent service and very good food. This is a large ocean front property that requires using the non-stop shuttle services to get around. Buffet style and cooked to order food is served continuously and throughout the complex, and there are bars throughout the lobbies and beach areas. Overall it was surprisingly enjoyable and an excellent value. This was the second time I have stayed in a Grand Bahia Principe property and I would certainly recommend them.

Room Tip: Pay the extra for the Hacienda Club service.
Dear Arturo,

It is grateful to read that you spent three wonderful days at this Paradise. We are also very pleased to know that you enjoyed your holidays thanks to our rich gastronomy, as well as the good service from our employees.

Thank you for your comments and looking forward to welcoming you once again!

Best regards,

Bahia Principe Bavaro Resort

Been to Grand Bahia Principe Bavaro? Share your experiences!