Myself and my boyfriend stayed here for two weeks from 7/11. We chose to come here as we had stayed in the Dominican the previous year, however this was in Puerto Plata and in an iberostar which was fantastic. We wanted to return but as we usually change our holiday destination each year we thought we'd stay in a different area with a different chain of hotel.
We travelled down to gatwick by train and stayed in the bloc hotel the night before our flight. This was the first time we had done it and it made it so much easier. The bloc hotel was great, it was right in the airport and I'd recommend it. I will also mention we travelled with Thomas Cook - never again!
On the way out we boarded the plane to be sat on it for an hour before we took off. This was due to faulty seats on the plane and a problem with loading the cases. That problem had caused another travellers case to be ruined, it had been caved in and ruined their belongings. The transfer from the airport was a bit unorganised as a few people were put on the wrong coaches.
The hotel for us was just ok. It was too big and I think that's what leads to its problems. There were too many guests for the staff to deal with. This meant a lot of little things were overlooked but they all add up. When we booked we knew it was a large hotel but we underestimated how big and just to go for something to eat was such effort. It was a long walk or they provided buses to get round, but you don't want to have to get a bus you want a place where everything is easily accessible.
A few of the negatives that got to me -
Chipped plates and glasses with lipstick marks on it one of the a'la cartes.
The first day we arrived after walking from the shower to our bed our feet were black from the dirty floor.
We had lots of little bugs over our quilt in our room.
The safe had to be fixed
Our door had to be fixed as we couldn't unlock it after a few days.
Our maid still hadn't cleaned our room after we had returned from a day by the pool, this happened on a few occasions.
We used the jacuzzi bath and after draining the water the bath was full of black grit where the jets hadn't been cleaned or sterilised.
Staff seemed to busy to give a good service.
We had to wait for drinks for quite a while.
The food in the a'la cartes was very good our favourites were the mexican, Japanese and Mediterranean. As it happens the Japanese and Mediterranean were the ones we were looking forward to the least ( book the show cooking for the Japanese it was brilliant)
There was a good drink selection.
Good selection of food in the buffet however did get a bit bored of the food selections towards the end as usual with all inclusive.
Grounds were well maintained and beautiful.
When staff got a few moments they did take their time to chat with you.
The pools are nice.
The rooms are huge and luxurious.
We didn't have an awful holiday but we definitely didn't have the best. We wouldn't return as I think the negatives out weighed the positives. For me cleaning standards is a big deal and around the hotel this was pretty good but our room let it down. I do think most of the problems stem from the hotel being too big a staff being stretched too far. Not for a second do I think this is the fault of the staff but of the hotel as they seemed understaffed for the amount of guests. I'm not usually someone who likes to complain and if you have booked to go you will still enjoy it but it's just not quite up to standard. If you're looking to book I would recommend staying somewhere else as I wish i had.
Lastly our flight back was a nightmare this is not a fault of the hotel but of Thomas Cook. The flight was delayed by about an hour and a half we did not know this as again we were sat in the plane not being told anything. We were eventually informed there had been a problem that our inflight pre paid for meals had not been put on the plane before leaving gatwick. This was beyond ridiculous so for 9.5 hours there was no meals! We did get ONE complementary drink and the option to BUY snacks but only a small amount. We did also have cheese and crackers to share between two towards the end of the flight, we declined what was the point it wasn't enough to fill you and we were close to landing.
There are far worse hotels to stay at but far better my tip is pay an extra £100-£200 for a real 5*.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Facilities and services 2 lake-style pools Large sun terrace New relaxation zone with Bali beds, sun umbrellas and loungers Pool and beach towels BAHIA SPA (additional charge) Sports facilities: gym, 3 tennis courts (floodlit for an additional charge), multi-sports court Water activity centre WiFi access in the lobby (1h per day free of charge) and in rooms (additional charge) Entertainment theatre Wedding gazebo 1 buffet restaurant and 17 speciality restaurants Japanese restaurant 10 bars 3 Snack Bars Cocktail Lounge Punta Blanca Golf Club: 18 hole Golf Punta Blanca Golf Club designed by Nick Price (additional charge) Pueblo Principe: Shopping and Leisure Mall with local craft stores, live music, shows, stores, bars, karaoke, disco and casino Rooms 816 rooms including two types: Superior Junior Suite and Club Hacienda Junior Suite Room facilities: King size bed or two full size beds Fully-equipped bathroom with hydromassage bath tub, hair dryer and magnifying mirror Sitting area with sofa Air conditioning Ceiling fan Telephone Alarm clock Satellite TV Minibar Coffee-making facilities Safe (additional charge) Ironing set Wifi (additional charge) Club Hacienda Junior Suite (See page 18 Club Golden, Club Hacienda) Children Bahia Scouts The hotel is perfect for families, offering a range of facilities tailored especially for children, including the following: Mini Club for children aged 4 to 12 Evening Mini Disco Babysitting service (additional charge) Bahia Scouts Water Park Fun Area and Adventure Park (additional charge) Teens' Club (11-16 years) Other services 24 hour medical service (additional charge) Pharmacy (additional charge) Bus stop opposite the hotel Meeting and convention room Personalised menus (for celiacs, diabetics, etc.) Available on request and subject to circumstances Specialised service for organising weddings, incentive trips, events and anniversaries ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with BookIt.com, Tingo, Travelocity, Expedia, TripOnline SA, Despegar.com, getaroom.com and Venere so you can book your Grand Bahia Principe Bavaro reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Gran Bahia Punta Cana
- Grand Bahia Principe Punta Cana
- Bahia Principe Dominican Republic
- Gran Bahia Principe Bavaro Resort
- Punta Cana Bahia Principe
- Gran Bahia Principe Bavaro Punta Cana
- Principe Punta Cana
- Bahia Punta Cana
- Bahia Resort Principe
- Gran Bahia Principe Dominican Republic