“First time visitor” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Grand Bahia Principe Bavaro

You added Grand Bahia Principe Bavaro to your Saves list
Grand Bahia Principe Bavaro
4.0 of 5 Resort (All-Inclusive)   |   Arena Gorda _ Macao, Seccion Baigua, Punta Cana, Dominican Republic   |
Ranked #48 of 101 Hotels in Punta Cana
Chickasha, Oklahoma
“First time visitor”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed yesterday NEW

The hotel was beautiful. Grounds well kept and trains ran frequently which was good because the place is huge! We had an upgrade which put us closer to the beach area than main lobby.
Lots of different activities for any age or group. Several pools, some crowded, some not, but
beach was always crowded. Many Europeans staying here. Pools did not allow topless but the beach did, so be warned. Strong surf and no snorkeling in this area. Booked a boat trip for an area that was supposed to have good snorkeling but turned out to be a shallow sand bar. No fish there. I would say use caution about booking excursions. Most don't turn out as exciting as they say. Nor do they leave on time or take you there without several stops at other hotels. We had our best luck getting a taxie through the hotel to take us where we wanted to go. All and all we enjoyed it, but not ready to go back.

Room Tip: We were in building 29. It was handy to lobby and beach. Area was quiet.
  • Stayed November 2014, traveled with friends

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (854)
  • Polish first
new york
2 of 5 stars Reviewed 2 days ago NEW

Customer service-useless. Extraordinarily difficult to reach, they do not answer the phone. 3 plus hour delay in check-in, but no compensation or refund, not a penny. This resort will take your money for a luxury experience, but will delver third rate service.
The beach is great, probably it would require effort to ruin it and they are too lazy.
Go to one of the many other resorts in the area, not here.

Room Tip: Go somewhere else.
  • Stayed November 2014, traveled solo
Viancagraciano, customer service at Grand Bahia Principe Bavaro, responded to this review, yesterday
Dear Client,

Thank you for taking the time to post a review of your recent stay at our hotel. We apologize if you felt you did not receive the services you were entitled to and we deeply regret not being able to fulfill your expectations.

Always at your disposal,

Alberta, Canada
2 of 5 stars Reviewed 4 days ago NEW

We stayed at this resort last month, and while there, I was attacked and robbed by one of the evening male staff members, one evening while trying to find my way back to our building. This resort was massive and all the buildings looked the same, but they have bus stops along the paths where staff will show up and give you rides to where you need to go. It was getting late and I was waiting for one when a staff member in a golf cart pulled up and said that the regular ones were not running at this hour and offered to take me to my building. However he did not.
I wish to not share the horrific details online, but I did report it and gave a written statement to the hotel manager, along with a description of the man who did this. I was told that they have hundreds of staff and they would look into it but with out actually finding a staff member with my purse or personal belongings, that it would be highly unlikely that they could figure out which staff member it was. Customer service skills at this hotel were hugely lacking, other than the cleaning ladies.
There was a onsite Air Canada rep. and the lady I was traveling with told him what had happened and he had me give another written statement for their records, and so he could look into this more. He was wonderful to deal with, very kind and understanding. With this incident occurring within the first couple nights of our vacation, needless to say although we tried to make the best of it, it was anything but a relaxing vacation. I went absolutely no where by myself for the remainder of our trip, and was sure happy to come home.
I am an avid traveller , and I know that you need to be smart about decisions you make and where you should or should not go alone, and I have stayed at one of their sister resorts in Jamaica a couple times. But have never had any safety concerns. Until this trip.

• Stayed October 2014, traveled with friends
Dear Guest,

We sincerely regret the situation you have shared. I kindly ask you to send us your formal complaint and written statement you filled up to the following address: customerservicebppuj@bahia-principe.com

Best regards,

2 of 5 stars Reviewed 4 days ago NEW

No shower and leaking toilet is the first night experience. After taking a 1.5 hour long check in, we find the shower is not connected and the toilet is leaking. We were told to go to beach and all will be fixed... returning room at 9pm, nothing is fixed. After 3 hours exhausting waiting for the "guy", the guy showed up and told us it is not fixable... No room is available to change...
The drink on the beach is poorly made, e.g. fruit juice is from powder mixed... sometimes even beer is out of stock. All restaurant except buffet require reservation and most of them are fully reserved days ago. It also took 1 hour or 2 to get the reservation done.
No shrimp, not to mention other seafood such lobster or the like. The only ok seafood is Salmon. No prime rib... pork rib is what you will have.
Donot go Grand Bahia Principe Bavaro!

• Stayed September 2014, traveled as a couple
Dear James,

We would like to let you know that we take our guests observations into great consideration with the aim to reinforce the quality of our services. We regret very much that we were not able to fulfill your expectations this time and I sincerely apologize for the issues you have commented.

Thank you for your comment and we are looking to forward to welcoming you once again to have the opportunity to change any negative perception you may have about us.

Best regards,

Los Angeles, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed 4 days ago NEW

Went to this resort the last week of october and i must say that for the price that i got, I got a great deal, had an awesome time and very much enjoyed our stayed here. I booked our 3 day trip through the resort website where i managed to get free transportation to and from the airport! it was great that this was included with our stay since transportation can be very pricey to find if you dont have it prearranged prior to getting to the DR. The drive is about 20 min to the resort and our driver was extremely nice and courteous to us.

RESORT
the first thing you notice upon your arrival to the resort is that its HUGE! its a big place and easy to get lost but luckly they have golf carts type mini buses that take you all the way from the front of the resort, to your building and the beach. Although you can check in at any time you get in, you dont actually get a room until 3pm. but in the mean time you can grab a drink at the bar,hit up the buffett for lunch or even head to the beach where they also have another mini buffet there.

ROOM
The rooms are nicely kept and housekeeping is done daily and would be more than happy to come if you need anything else. Inside our room, we had a giant king side bed. when we first sat down on the bed, it was extremly hard, rock solid. we were skeptical at first and honestly not happy but once we took our first nap on it, it turned out to be a really good bed for us! The room had a "minibar" that was stocked daily with tons of soda, water and two beers. Not really what I was expecting for minibar but ehhh i cant complain since i got such a sweet deal. Also inside the room came with your standard table and couch and a really nice shower/tub combo. overall, I would give the room a four of five stars for being spacious, clean and convenienetly located right infront of the pools. the bathroom could use a little more of an upgrade but it works!

FOOD/DRINKS
The food reviews of this place can be a little harsh, i feel. Although they do recycle certain foods, its not like youre having rotten and or old meals. i feel that although its not the resorts greatest strengh, the food is decent and edible. for the cheap price that i got,i cannot complain for one bit. Since i am not a picky eater, i didnt mind the food at all and was very delicious and fufilling . the waiting staff inside the main buffet were amazing! extremely professional, courteous, attentive and alwasy refilling your drinks! at the buffets, breakfast and lunch usually stay the same but at dinner, it changes according to their theme night. whether it be asian, mexican, italian or american, you can find anything that will satisfy your cravings. you wont go hungry! As far as drinks go, theyre unlimited and free! they mostly always give you rum (which we quickly grew tired of) but if you ask for vodka or tequila theyll be more than happy to serve you! the only thing that i saw them sell was the american imported liqour. but if you can survive a vacation without some jack youll be fine! As far as the specialty restaurants were concerned, we did the japanese restaurant and the service and food was great!

BEACH
depending on what building you stay, the beach can be pretty far. i would say its about a 15 to 20 min walk from the front of the resort to the beach but if your going to the beach between 5am and 1am, there will always be a little tram to take you from your building to the beach which is about a 5 min ride from anywhere. once on the beach there are a couple of bars where they serve unlimited drinks and some food like hotdogs and burgers. the downside is that there are people there who are trying to sell you stuff but honestly all you have to do is either ignore them or say thank you. for the most part they wont bother you unless youre curious or just wanna know what they have. I saw a lot of the reviews talk about SEAWEED and let me just point out that if youre from the states or have ever been to a beach in the states...SEAWEED WILL ABSOLUTELY BE NO PROBLEM. THERE IS VERY LITTLE TO NO SEAWEED HERE!! SoCal beaches are WAYYYYYY WORST than the beaches in the DR. you find your occasionaly seaweed but c'mon guys, its a freaking ocean! this stuff is needed for marine life to exist! the water is amazing and beautiful, waters are not too rough and overall amazing! dont be discourage by all this seaweed talk in other comments!

Overall, for it being my first all inclusive i enjoyed it very much and would not mind coming back here at all although i would love to try some of the other resorts in the area. Finally, although tipping is not requiered, A DOLLAR GOES A LONG WAY! dont be cheap and at least tip a dollar to the bell hop guys, the bar tenders and even your waiters! they will be ever thankful and they will go the extra mile to make sure your are taken care of and your drinks keep flowing! Dont think twice about it people! if youre on a budget, or dont want to shell out top dollar for the best resort out there, this place will do just fine! Its beautiful, family and couple friendly with lots to do and enjoy.

• Stayed October 2014, traveled as a couple
Viancagraciano, customer service at Grand Bahia Principe Bavaro, responded to this review, 3 days ago
Dear Ricky,

I would like to thank you for taking the time to post a review and for mentioning our great service and how much you enjoyed your stay. Rest assured that your comments have been taken in the highest consideration. It is a pleasure to know that you have an awesome time and found the room were nice, the waiters were very professional and courteous and the amazing beach.

Looking forward to welcoming you once again and it will be a pleasure if you return to another section of the Resort.

Regards from Dominican Republic,

Orange City, Florida
3 of 5 stars Reviewed 5 days ago NEW

First of all I want to state that if you have been to a Sandal's resort you will not enjoy this place. The clientele isn't nearly as proper (not really the word I am looking for but not sure how to say it) as the Sandal's and the food isn't nearly as good or the customer service. However, this place was less than half the price of the Sandal's so it is really up to you. The first few days I was walking around saying this is no Sandal's but by the end of the trip I did have a great time.

When we first got off the shuttle at the resort we had no clue where to go.We were Diamond Club La Hacienda, but had no clue where that was. We ended up waiting 20 min at the reception desk for them to point us in the right direction. It is very overwhelming when you first get there, but you do get used to it. The people in the Diamond Club were very nice, but I felt as though they should have explained the resort a little more, we were so lost for days. Even though we had a map, it was still very confusing.

We were there for a wedding and there were 26 of us in the group. We were supposed to be all in the same location, but we were spread all over the resort and couldn't find anyone until the second night at dinner. Luckily we had made dinner reservations for our large party months in advance and they were kept so that worked out well. The first night we ate in the very large buffet. There were plenty of choices of food. They had a pasta station, tons of chicken and sea food and a kids area with hotdogs and hamburgers, potatoes, pretty much you name it they had it. The downside was this was the same thing they had every single day for lunch and night for dinner. I ate a lot of pasta while there. Breakfast in the buffet was very good with an omelet station, but once again it was the same thing every day. And because the resort (5 resorts all on property) is so huge they were pushing food out as fast as possible but a lot of times my food would be cold. The only time I knew it would be warm would be if I had something made.

Tipping: I had read on here that even though tipping isn't required people felt as though they needed to tip. I never really felt like that. No one seemed to be waiting for a tip, not even the bell boys. I did notice the days I left a tip (just like $3.00) for the maid my room would be cleaner and she would even decorate with some flower pedals in the bathroom. So I didn't tip nearly as much as I would see some people.

Drinks: The beer in your room is Presidente Light which was pretty good. The beer on tap was Bahia, which was also pretty good but a little heavier. Reviews said the liquor was watered down, but I certainly didn't feel like it a I was always getting a pretty good buzz by around noon. Domingo and his brother Deiby were the best bar tenders by far. They are in the pool bar in the middle of the resort, the quieter pool without the volleyball net.

Pools: the pools were nice, some quite some not so much. The only thing that bothered me were they allowed excursion vendors to run around and bother you. If I want an excursion I will come to you I don't want to be bothered.

Meals: I talked about the buffet, but we also had some al a carte meals as well. I am not sure I am the best to review them because we had a party of 26 we had to have a set menu decided for us already. The steak was always over cooked and I never really cared for the salads. On the nights we didn't have meals we always hit up the buffets. A couple of our friends would go to al a cartes with out a reservation and give the hostess a couple dollars and be nice and always got in. I never tried it.

The grounds are beautiful. I went running one morning and I ran over a mile before I was even back to my room, like I said the place was huge. The room was really nice, the bed was a little hard. The Michael Jackson show was great, we didn't catch any other shows. A lot of people complained about mosquito's on their reviews I never noticed any at all. The weather was perfect. We were there from Nov 7 - Nov 14.

I really don't have any complaints other than it just isn't as nice as the Sandal's and the customer service isn't as good. We like when our maid, bartenders, concierge knows our name and this place is so huge you cannot get that at all. Oh and be sure to know some Spanish. Just simple words, like hello, thank you, you're welcome and beer. Those go a long way. The staff at the front desks know English and some of the bar tenders, but the maids and pretty much anyone else do not. For the price I would stay here again, but for me I would much rather a smaller resort. Feel free to contact me if you have any questions. I am sure I left something out.

Room Tip: We stayed in unit 27. It was a 1/4 mile from the lobby and buffet, but there is a tram and very clos...
  • Stayed November 2014, traveled with friends
Dear Mandy,

Thank you for taking the time to post a review of your recent stay at our hotel. It is through communications of this nature that our customers give us an opportunity to assess and evaluate our performance, as well as to ensure that we maintain and deliver the level of service expected from us.

Thanks for highlighting the beautiful grounds, nice pools and the friendly staff.

I would like to have the opportunity to welcome you once again at our hotel and continue providing beautiful experiences.

Regards from Punta Cana!!!

Suffolk
5 of 5 stars Reviewed 6 days ago NEW

We travelled as a family with two teenage boys and booked through Thomas Cook and stayed from 24 Oct to 7 Nov. This was our first trip to the Caribbean and wasn't really sure what to expect. Unfortunately our flight was delayed by 5 hours but upon boarding our coach at the airport we were told we had already been checked in at the hotel to save us time, and as we stepped off the coach a cocktail was handed to each of us, all kindly organised by Stuart the Thomas Cook Rep (who was the best rep we've ever come across) This resort is huge, but it isnt a problem as there are road trains to get you from a to b. We were upgraded to the Diamond Club Hacienda, our rooms being just a few minutes from the main pool area and beach. The food was plentiful and varied, with different themed nights in the buffet restaurants. All the restaurants were great, the Japenese and Italian being the best in our opinion. The staff were really helpful and friendly even if they struggled with English at times. Sunbeds were a bit difficult to find around the main pool but on the beach we never had a problem. There really is something for everyone here, there are quieter pools away from the main pool area and the beach is just amazing which is where we spent most of our time. We wouldn't hesitate to recommend this hotel and would love to return one day.

Room Tip: We stayed in the Hacienda Villa 27 which was close to the main pool area and beach
  • Stayed October 2014, traveled with family
Viancagraciano, customer service at Grand Bahia Principe Bavaro, responded to this review, 5 days ago
Dear Julie,

It is a pleasure for all of us to hear that you enjoyed an excellent stay during your first trip to the Caribbean, and it is wonderful to know that you would not hesitate to recommend us for unforgettable holiday’s destination. Thank you for highlighting the good food, great restaurants, helpful staff and the amazing beach.

Thank you for your nice comments and we will wait for you here, where we have something for everyone.

Regards from Dominican Republic,

Bahia Principe Bavaro Resort

Been to Grand Bahia Principe Bavaro? Share your experiences!